Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

Nixxy, I'm looking at teaching Chemistry in England, but some Australian options are coming up too and I'm considering it. Any fun tips/tricks/suggestions?

Nixxy, I'm looking at teaching Chemistry in England, but some Australian options are coming up too and I'm considering it. Any fun tips/tricks/suggestions?

I am assuming to want to teach at university level and funnily enough my old university is looking for a chemistry teacher to start next week, so that probably a bit too soon for you. They asked me whether I could fill in at least on a short-term sessional basis, but as I do not hold a degree in chemistry (or anything at all for that matter) I am not really qualified. There are not all that many university level jobs available in Australia (there are not all that many universities!) and they are heavily sort after, but at the same time the pay isn't fantastic and the pressures are fairly heavy. If you want to teach chemistry in Australia at uni level you'll be doing it for the lifestyle not the pay and conditions! Take a look at a few job agencies in Australia and take a look for yourself. Start off with seek.com.au and then Google a few others.

I teach at further or vocational education level (workplace chemistry) and there are perhaps a dozen or so (maybe as many as 20) TAFE colleges in Australia that teach vocational chemistry. I teach at two of them, so there ain't a lot of opportunity there! Also, to be able to teach at this level your degree, masters even PhD are not enough, you need a special vocational education qualification. As for secondary education level chemistry; no! Just no!!!!! You will be rip out your own intestines so that you can have something to strangle yourself with!

Lots of native speakers use "alot" but that's incorrect and they should be shunned by their friends and family for this. Unacceptable.

An important thing to note is that native speakers have an inherent understanding of very small parts of speech and regional speech patterns change things too. I find most of my ESL students to actually understand the formality of the English language really well, it's the tweaks where issues come up. Colloquialisms are the biggest part of this, but it goes does to really small things. The mispronunciation of certain letters, or syllables. A lot of the population gets annoyed by it, but we really shouldn't since if we were put into a new country or area where a different language is spoken, we'd have the exact same issue.
A number of educational studies have shown this to be a large contribution xenophobia in areas, where people will feel uncomfortable around immigrants because of the dissonance created in speech patterns. I find this all very interesting! It's an academic rabbit hole that goes deep :p

I just write alot because it triggers kestegs :)

alot
alot
alot
alot

If you come to Australia and you are ever in Adelaide I'll show you around / drink beer with you.

As for secondary education level chemistry; no! Just no!!!!! You will be rip out your own intestines so that you can have something to strangle yourself with!
Welp this was what I was going for. I can pretty much have the job if i want it based on my qualifications and a few skype interviews I've had. I mostly wanna use teaching as a way to travel the world, so I'm not looking for a job that will keep me in one place. I'm even considering full time supply work.
I'm mainly looking at either Melbourne or Adelaide though

If you come to Australia and you are ever in Adelaide I'll show you around / drink beer with you.

I do like beer.

And meeting internet weirdos has generally gone well. Except for that one time in Chicago, but we don't talk about Chicago.

Lots of native speakers use "alot" but that's incorrect and they should be shunned by their friends and family for this. Unacceptable.

An important thing to note is that native speakers have an inherent understanding of very small parts of speech and regional speech patterns change things too. I find most of my ESL students to actually understand the formality of the English language really well, it's the tweaks where issues come up. Colloquialisms are the biggest part of this, but it goes does to really small things. The mispronunciation of certain letters, or syllables. A lot of the population gets annoyed by it, but we really shouldn't since if we were put into a new country or area where a different language is spoken, we'd have the exact same issue.
A number of educational studies have shown this to be a large contribution xenophobia in areas, where people will feel uncomfortable around immigrants because of the dissonance created in speech patterns. I find this all very interesting! It's an academic rabbit hole that goes deep :p

Interesting thought. I'm southern, and therefor considered to be bigoted, provincial, stupid, and who knows what else that gets associated with the soft g that forms the core of my accent, and one of my colleagues has said that my Dutch is perfect and of a very high standard, but she notices I'm from the south because sometimes I put some words in a different order - not a wrong order, but she notices the same about some of her Brabantian relatives.

It's no different in English. I've learned English by mimicking: I watch tv or listen to radio and mimic a reaction or a joke*) to something, and that way I learn. It's left me with an array of accents (more Northern English spoken on the BBC lately it seems), and a domininantly Norn Iron**) accent, including some of the phrases and colloguialisms used. I can never spell that word. Colloquialisms. Colloquialisms. Colloquialisms! It's a vast part of the CPE exam too, so I better pay attention.

*) My manager has told me that some people have made complaints about my humour. Quizzing her further, the problem is that I tell great jokes (she appreciates my humour a LOT!) with a straight face and it puzzles people, therefor making working with people a bit complicated since they don't get it and are annoyed by it. I verified whether I insulted or offended anyone, as I never want to do that, and she reassured me I did no such thing, and never have, but told me to be careful. I told her that it's because I'm awkward and it's my way of dealing with feeling awkward, but I'll pay attention from now on. What I thought was "I blame the BBC", as we've later established it's a form of British humour.

**) Northern Irish. Not properly of course because otherwise I'd be saying things like "He done that" but there's a bunch of "aye", "he's dead on" "right, I best get going" and "bye now" that have wriggled its way into my English. My Norn Iron bf thinks it's dead funny, and then I remind him that throughout the 10 years I've known him, he's never spelled "knackered" properly despite being it very often.

I couldn't tell you much at all about how English is constructed or proper grammar, and it's the only language I know. I think this is true for most (1st language) English speakers

It's true for me too. I never had much education, and say and write things because it feels right. For my CPE exam, they demand a better explanation than that!!

It's still better than a friend of mine, whose English is quite good and would be better if he weren't so bloody stubborn. Last nights conversation went like this:
Him: "Slag? That's not an English word! He meant slug!"
Me: "No he didn't. It's slag." I gave a short explanation.
Him: "No, you're wrong. Slag is just a form of slug, it means that person is slow, like a slug."
Me - despairing - "No, that's not how that works!"
Him: "Yes it is, look it up, you'll see it comes from that!"
Me: "YOU look it up, you eejit!*)"

*) the word "Idiot" has been affected by my holidays to Northern Ireland.

*returns from Portland

*serves celebratory drinks for catching the stage 1 of his favorite Gen 2 pokemon, Houndour.

*serves wine

*serves Dew

*serves sangria

*serves water

*serves tea

Weather was fantastic this weekend in the Northeast.

I want to talk about Chicago.

And of course I make fun of America, I just like to make fun of you as well!

Melbourne's better. This summer, we got our hailstorm, snows, heatwaves, drought, and finally got in some rain. And a nearby tornado to boot, apparently. [Source]

Welp this was what I was going for.

The problem isn't with teaching chemistry at years 11 and 12 (pre-university level), it is the fact that that will generally not be the only subject you will teach because you will probably be required to teach other levels as well. You could end up teaching the teacher's nightmare subject; year 9 science!!

The biggest problem is the students, is my guess :p

For myself, I would find gr 11-12 (uni prep) the most interesting and the thing I would be best at teaching (hurray for unit analysis in chem/phys)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High