Upgrade Characters to D2R or ..?

Excalibur

Guide Author
Jul 3, 2012
www.youtube.com
So after taking a big taste of D2R what are your plans with your 1.14d characters?
Have you decided to make a complete transition to D2R or not? Why?

So far I haven't really invested too much time on D2R and I haven't used any of my previous farming characters to experience the new features of D2R at their fullest. I want to start slowly forwarding my characters one by one but of course there is a slight hesitation since there is no coming back.

I decided to buy D2r on PlayStation and keep it entirely separate from my LoD characters.

I plan to just casual game on the PlayStation and do my heavy grinding and the harder quests I set for myself on PC because I like those controls and load times a lot better

Reactions: Excalibur
At the moment they are completely separate.

Eventually, when I have made a second Infinity in D2R I will start playing questing characters in D2R. But I will keep the bulk of my characters and equipment, especially farming characters and for MP projects, in 1.14d.

Reactions: Miron
Is it possible to run D2L and D2R on the same laptop? I play PC (predominantly HC) only and would like to keep my chars separate. I haven't tried D2R yet but I can hear the call of the Anni and the Hellfire torch ........ If need be I'll buy a new laptop solely for D2R.

At the moment they are completely separate.

Eventually, when I have made a second Infinity in D2R I will start playing questing characters in D2R. But I will keep the bulk of my characters and equipment, especially farming characters and for MP projects, in 1.14d.
God... I forgot I would need an extra infinity for D2R.
Is it possible to run D2L and D2R on the same laptop? I play PC (predominantly HC) only and would like to keep my chars separate. I haven't tried D2R yet but I can hear the call of the Anni and the Hellfire torch ........ If need be I'll buy a new laptop solely for D2R.
Yes it is.
They are different games thus there's nothing on your part to do to keep them separate. They have their own folders, save file locations and so on.
Just install and play.

Thx Excalibur. Qn: why do we need a 2nd Infinity for D2R? Hard enuff to get one Infinity in any version lol

I left everything in D2L and started fresh. Main reason is that loading times are abysmal for me in D2R and running AT with 20 seconds additional loading time per run makes everything more tedious. I might transfer everything to D2R if loading times somehow drop to what they were back in D2L, but not before.

Not much of an issue though, because I mostly play untwinked characters anyway and simply started an UT99 character and a tournament character in D2R :)

I started fresh in D2R, and have my summon necro up to level 87. I may enter him into the untwinked 99 thread since I currently do not have plans to convert my D2L gear over, but the call of all the good stuff I have there is quite tempting.

I have items left over in 1.14 stashes since there's no way to mass convert them over to D2R - but otherwise I'm completely D2R now aside from a few characters that have reasons to stay behind for version specific reasons. My loads are fast after blocking d2r from connecting to internet, unlimiting my framerate, and using -ns so they're similar to 1.14.

The benefits of D2R (assuming you can get good loads) are just too great. Here's my list:
  1. Anni/hellfire torch on every character is so strong, smooths out my experience, makes everything feel so much easier. Have to figure out your dex before you equip hoto or wizspike? Gone. Now anni/hellfire take care of that. More life. more mana. more resists. less headaches.
  2. auto gold pickup - the greatest sleeper change. You don't think it's great but the amount of gold you passively pick up is insane. I've gambled more than ever before.
  3. gambling changes - way easier to gamble circlets/ammys/rings or whatever you want. seriously so nice
  4. FPS increase - the #1 reason imo. smooth mouse, smooth frames, no more chop, precision clicks are way more precise, the qol from smooth mouse is insane. that muscle memory in repeated runs is even more memorized with the consistency of smooth framerate.
  5. along with anni/hellfire torch being in general just amazing to have on characters, it's also another new activity to do, another thing to farm for. It's tons of fun. New things to do!! For the first time in like 11 years.
  6. Wider screen = longer teleports
  7. ctrl clicking items is a REVELATION. Have you ever cubed 4500 flawless gems into perfect? Much easier with ctrl click. Reroll grand charms? ctrl click is easier. Move inventory to stash? easy. Plus your click precision is insane with higher fps mouse in the inventory, combined with ctrl click is pure bliss.
  8. Toggle show items = drink coffee in my other hand more often.
  9. Edit: Gomule is better in this version as well thanks @silospen

Last edited:
For me it's been kind of a "soft restart" in HC in D2R. My D2L 99er Barb provided a starter pack of items and runes, but otherwise my current Diablo activity is just HC farming and getting a Guardian sept in D2R.

As for SC, I've kept all of my MF/RF tournament characters in D2L for two reasons. First, as a general rule it's more efficient/faster to farm there. You can't go back, so the safe bet is to stay in D2L. I'm a bit of runtime/efficiency nerd when it comes to tournament situations such as MFO or RFL. Ofc actual results are mostly luck-based, but I just wouldn't like the feeling of being slower just from playing in D2R rather than D2L. :) Secondly, I'm not sure what SPF tournament rules will look like in the near future, as in to which degree D2R is allowed, whether it's separate from D2L running etc.... so I'd rather retain the option to play in D2L.

Also, many SPFers have not gone to D2R yet for various reasons, so I'd like to be able to participate in D2L activity in any case. I can imagine at some point down the line everyone will just play D2R. At that point I guess I'd just migrate SC chars as well... Restarting (kind of) in HC is fine for me because I had never really played HC in D2L. But when it comes to SC I'm too old to restart completely :D no way I'll ever get to the same level of "endgame" min-maxing, and that is what I mostly enjoy when playing SC.

I can imagine Blizzard is trying to do something about the loading times. Especially for bnet HC players that seems to be an absolute dealbreaker. So in short, if they manage to optimize them somehow and SPF tournaments are interesting from a D2R perspective, that's when I think I'll migrate everything and switch to D2R for good.

Reactions: Excalibur
Full restart in D2R for me.
1.14d chars and stash will soon be deleted - just haven't bothered to uninstall D2L yet.

Planning to stay vanilla gameplay wise, no extended stash and all;
but GoMule is still needed for the fingerprints and readouts for possible trades and IFT.

and extended stash, mule-off-only just for the Grail, I suppose.

I also did a full restart in D2R (Hardcore) and I switched from single player to bnet, however, I do still progress my characters solo through all of Normal/Nightmare/Hell until they achieve Guardian. I have a lvl 89 summon necro Guardian so far and today I am starting a sorceress. The bnet experience has it's downsides (server issues!) which actually make it more challenging than SP (the lag monster is dangerous) but I hope they will be smoothed out (already some progress) and I wanted access to the online trading community and perhaps occasional co-op play once I have reached Guardian.

I may forward items, but not characters. However I plan a Vanilla status on D2R HC for quite a while, for sure anni and torch can be worth a ton, but well once you're set, the flavor is also different. Maybe more for SC characters if I decide to have other than the ones I'm going to start on @Cattleya's project... by then there may be no need, who knows!

I know D2R is tempting for a fresh start but personally not only I can't invest that much time anymore but I am also tired of wasting so much time picking, moving, transferring and so on. I am literally a trash collector. Every time I farm I pick up everything which slows the whole procedure too much.

As I said, even though I haven't tasted D2R's features at their fullest yet, I am 100% with @NorthDakota.
I want to make my D2 time easier. So I guess I will eventually upgrade.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High