The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

It should work afterwards, when you get to fix whatever is wrong.

This is very unlikely, given your experience with the game, but you have made it in a Polearm class weapon, right? Not the classic fault of making it in a Spear type weapon which you think is a Polearm type. Been there, done that :cool:.

@Kitteh I also had this happen recently, but it was because I'd changed my D2 shortcut when I installed glidewrapper and forgot to add -direct -txt to the path ... of course you wouldn't do anything as shamefully stupid as this ... ;) (but just in case). Once I fixed the shortcut I was happy to find my runewords were working properly again.

@Gynli I have just made Delirium for my Act 2 merc ... and found Insight/Delirium/Treachery was less survivable than Insight/Vamp Gaze/Treachery. I'm thinking Delirium will be the better option once I get CoH for the merc and he has a source of leech on the armor but there is no need to rush to make your Delirium. I'm guessing it could work on the Rogue merc though, as they are less likely to be tanking.

You have to remember that your Merc has no leech if you’re using Delirium so you have to take more precaution managing his position. It’s quite good once you’re around 97/98 because if you’re wanting to be efficient with XP at that point you’re skipping a lot of things and just hitting very specific targets so it keeps everything else busy while you melt what you want to kill.

Hmm mk. Thanks for the tips. For now, I will stick with the obedience / grim / treachery i have currently.

On a different note, im still unsure of where to use the sockets for the final gear. I know i will use fort / razortail / loh / wartrav / cats.eye / ravenfrost / blood.ring with faith and fleshripper / stormshield on switch. Im leaning towards socketing jewel of freedom on the SS for 133(134?) str req and leaving one for wf just in case. Andy helm seems to be a popular choice but i wont need the ias because i will be using multishot and not strafe. Would the 2zon 30frw 20@ tiara worth a socket? I wonder if the soj + pskull recipe still works. Lol

So I've hit level 97 with HelpYourself without too much exciting stuff to report on. Noteworthy finds since the last update were Tal's armor (completing the set), Boneshade, Boneflame (+3/24@), 2x Head Hunter's Glory (1+2 sockets), Giant Skull (1 socket, but cool since it's a grailer, dropped together with 2nd HHG), Eschuta's (3/11/14) and another Andy's. She also found two more life/resist SCs and has 7 of those now. (Sorry didn't take screenshots of everything decent.)

She is pretty sturdy by now, avoided any deaths and rarely was in any kind of danger from 96 to 97. However I swapped quite a bit of gear after running the numbers for CM vs. Hoto again, now that she has two +1 rings she can swap in when using Hoto. Broken LI bosses do take longer with Hoto setup, but in her case it deals some ~5-20% higher damage to most other monsters, depending on their LR. Apparently that's more beneficial for these runs than sniping the broken LIs faster, or at least it makes up for that, as it was a bit faster when comparing 30 minute stretches of Baal runs.

For those interested, these are her numbers for the Hoto vs. CM comparison:

CM setup: -144 ELR (-85 from Infinity, -35 from CM, -24 form Griffon's). Lightning max damage is 18075.
Hoto setup: -109 ELR; Lightning max damge is 24538.
(2 skillers in both setups)

vs 30% LR monster (I took this sort of as an average of the several 33% LR and 25% LR mob types in Throne Room)
CM: monster is at -100 LR (cap) -- 18075 * 2 = 36150
Hoto: monster has -79 LR -- 24538*1.79 = 43917.65 (+21.48% )

(Obviously any LR of less than 44% means the high amount of -ELR from CM setup is not fully utilized.)

vs 50% LR monster
CM: monster has -94 LR -- 18075 * 1.94 = 35065.5
Hoto: monster has -59 LR -- 24535*1.59 = 39010.65 (+11.25%)

vs 75% LR monster
CM: 75% monster has -69 LR -- 18075 * 1.69 = 30546.75
Hoto: monster has -34 LR -- 24538*1.34 = 32876.9 (+7.62%)

vs 105% LR monster (breakable LI)
Infinity works at 20% (-17% ELR), i.e. monster has 88% LR after Infinity and 64% after Griffon's
Hoto: monster has 64% LR -- 24538*0.36 = 8833.68
CM: monster has 29% -- 18075*0.71 = 12833.25 (+45.28%)

This really shows how good CM is against broken LIs, but also how strong Hoto is overall. CM should get better and better with more skillers, but I kind of doubt I'll collect the necessary amount with her. Then again, there's over 14,000 XP runs ahead of me. :)

So I decided to run Hoto again, considering it also allows for so many options for other slots as well. She's now using SoJ, BKWB and the 28@ Mara's she recently found (having used BKWB, rare FCR ring and +2/FCR craft ammy before). I also swapped Aldur's boots for Waterwalk, providing the dex to use Hoto flail without hard points, more life, and the +5% max FR is nice as well. Since I didn't need FCR on gloves anymore, I also replaced Magefist with Bloodfist. These tend to fly under the radar, but I've used them on a twinked Lightning Sorc before and really like them. The 30% FHR on its own brings her to the next breakpoint (7 fpa at 86% FHR) and the 40 extra life is very nice. At this point I really want her to be as safe as possible going forward, and she now has 2684 life after BO, about 350 more than with the CM setup. I'm also considering dropping Gheed's for another +100 life. But that would basically cut in half the little MF she has, and of course having a few colorful drops from time to time provides a little bit of entertainment at least. :)

LCS with current setup:

I'll take a short break from runs with her now, the last stretch was a bit exhausting and that's "only" 97... Getting to 98 at Baal will take another ~40-50 hours and I don't feel like that tackling that immediately. ;) Might play the Necromancer a bit as well, he's in A5 normal right now. Also added him below because why not. :)

Code:
Name          (C)            SC/HC    Class  Level/exp   Extended Stash  #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths  # of Hours
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy      Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal        Eleanor         SC      Sorc      99             No         3068        437            5           -
NanoMist      Izuna           SC      Sin       99             No         5109        470            4         360
PhineasB      Mercy           SC      Sin       99             Yes           -        475           11           -
Neksja        Aura            SC      Paladin   98.50          Yes        8606        464            -           -
T72on1        Neverland       SC      Sorc      98.25          Yes        2190+?      477           13         270?
PhineasB      Hiatus          SC      Sorc      98.25          Yes           -        457           21           -
hasuprotoss   Reina           SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1751        384            -           -
ffs           HelpYourself    SC      Sorc      97             Yes           -          -          many          ?
Tarantella    Tarasha         HC      Sorc      96             Yes           -          -            -           -
Grim          Furious_Blonde  SC      Ama       96             Yes           -          -            -           -
XyleneCyanol  Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
ThomasJohnsen xInTheBuffx     HC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
darkstarhub   Neptune         SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
PhineasB      Phaedrus        SC      Pala      94             Yes           -        274           12           -
Dezrok        Salome          SC      Sorc      94             Yes         645        296            -           -
Reyz          Qty             SC      Sorc      93             No            -          -            -           -
Yng           Sophie          SC      Sorc      93             Yes           -          -            7           -
Chaostar      Prairie         SC      Sorc      91             Yes         659        261           12         126
OldSoldier    Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
tokerdin      tokeress        SC      Sorc      91             yes           -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Ayura           SC      Barb      91             No            -          -            -           -
Gynli         Amazon          SC      Amazon    91             Yes           -          -         many           -
Southpaw      Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt        CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           ?          -        Dont want to know
MercMan       Este            SC      Ama       90             Yes        1212        278            2  Classified
Me2Nik        Fugu            HC      Ama       90             Yes          80
Yng           Kyrie           HC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Lynchgrinch   Tattersail      SC      Sorc      89             Yes           ?        321         too many    lots
LiquidClear   Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage   zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -
Neksja        Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone     Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Gnosis          SC      Druid     86             No            -          -            -           -
Lord Molyb    Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     86             No          115         94           19         idk
Naturallog    Athos           HC      Barb      84             No          159        105            0           -
Lord Molyb    Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       83             No           28         25            0         idk
Qwernt        AmaAgainstAll   SC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit        Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Lord Molyb    But_Why         SC      Sin       81             Never        55         51           53
Jean Avila    SpeedAdict      SC      Ama       77             No            -          -            -          50
logo          Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
TwentyMule    Rayne           SC      Sorc      76             Yes         195        140            ?           ?
Gripphon      Ryu             SC      Sorc      76             Yes           -          -         over 9k       13
Darke Rahl    Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0
Vildecor      Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax    Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
TrU           Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit        Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
aarrgus       Acala           SC      Barb      32             Yes                                   1
ffs           Ric             SC      Nec       31             Yes           -          -          0             ?
Smancer       Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin    Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
Kitteh        Kaylin          SC      Ama       19             Yes           -          -            0           -
hackedagainanda Hugo          HC      Barb      16             Yes           -          -            -           -
The Fallen
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
TwentyMule  Valus           HC      Barb      76             Yes           -          -            1           -
Pb_pal      Stevesy         HC      Paladin   76             Yes           -          -            0           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

I need my merc to apply Decrepify via Reaper's Toll to deal maximum damage and deal with PIs, so you could say that he does a lot of killing for me though still mostly as an buffer/debuffer. I have found three gold Threshers and sadly none were ethereal. He is also using Duriel's Shell for the CBF. If I could get a CBF helmet for him I could make him a Fortitude which would probably make him hit like a truck.

How do you guys equip your Merc, is he just a walking aura, or does he also do some P8 killing?

First and foremost he's a walking Conviction aura. But of course he also kills dudes if you just let him. :) I geared mine with Infinity + Fortitude + Andy's, aka pretty much the standard, safe and high damage go-to setup for Infinity Mercs IMO. I know others like to use Delirium with maybe CoH for leech or Treachery for IAS/Fade or something. Generally I'm not a big fan of such setups though, in particular it screws up that "beautifully predictable year 2000 programming monster movement" -- which IMO remains the best safety there is. :) Also for most characters their overall clear speed will suffer when monsters don't move in a "herdable" way. That being said, it also depends on the target -- I'm sure at some point when I start to target Nihl I'll strongly consider using Delirium.

a quick update:

I've been doing LK runs non stop when I find time to play. I'm really looking for that Ber/Um so I can make CoH, but I'm starting to think looking for a better weapon would be a better priority as I really can't farm anything effectively yet. I manage to kill eldrich and shenk, but hardly, and if there's lot's of archers or high damage spawns I just die too quick. I will likely stick to LK until I can find some runes for a stronger weapon, and mix it in with some Threshsocket runs to see if he drops a unique weapon :)

So far I've found an Ist, Gul, Pul, Fals and lot's of Ko's at LK. Also found some pretty awesome charms/jewels from LK, just found a 40%ED 7% FHR jewel tonight, as well as this on my first thresh socket run!

View attachment 6940

Too bad I have 0 use for it! :p It will replace my 3 topaz MF helm just because it looks cool and has DR, but I rarely if ever use MF items since it really hinders me at this point, and G helm is super important in my damage!

So I'll likely continue to farm LK/Threshsocket until I can get a CoH and solid weapon so that I can start doing some xp runs somewhere! I just learned he spawns immune to physical pretty often :( Any ideas for finding a nice weapon to allow me to farm hell?

Last edited:
I guess for casters, It doesn't matter if Merc can kill, his main objective is to not die. But for a melee player, I'd assume if the Merc can do some damage, he can be of great help, no?

I am asking, because I thought about changing my Merc setup from eReapers/Treachery/Gaze to eReapers/Fort/45% IAS helmet, but I am also wondering if I really should bother, as he won't do much damage anyhow.

@Trapin' Finding a Reapers for your Merc would be a great improvement :) Why not Pindle runs? As for finding a new weapon, what about "Beast"? I don't know If +Fanat stacks to your current level, though.

I guess for casters, It doesn't matter if Merc can kill, his main objective is to not die. But for a melee player, I'd assume if the Merc can do some damage, he can be of great help, no?

I am asking, because I thought about changing my Merc setup from eReapers/Treachery/Gaze to eReapers/Fort/45% IAS helmet, but I am also wondering if I really should bother, as he won't do much damage anyhow.

@Trapin' Finding a Reapers for your Merc would be a great improvement :) Why not Pindle runs? As for finding a new weapon, what about "Beast"? I don't know If +Fanat stacks to your current level, though.

Pindle too tough to run I think but I'll try once I get there

Hello all,
I just made a brand new assassin I would like to enter into the race for 99. I am about to start running her. Her name is zoe (after the newest league of legends champ that came out a few days ago!!) Lets see how this goes! What milestones are relavant posts to this thread without cloging it up with useless info?

On a different note, im still unsure of where to use the sockets for the final gear.
Having already used two of my socket rewards, my suggestion is to hold off using them as long as you can, so you can be really sure that the item you socket will be part of your end game gear. That really, really rare drop that you are normally never likely to find but is perfect for your build, will probably drop at some point on your journey to 99.

How do you guys equip your Merc, is he just a walking aura, or does he also do some P8 killing?
My own experience of this is that it depends on your build, but also your level and the area you are running. For my Blizzsorc obviously the aura from Insight is important. But in the early 90s for Pindle and AT runs the merc's ability to kill CIs was also important. For LK runs only the aura matters (and the merc's ability to take hits away from the sorc if we tele into the middle of a pack). Now in the mid-90s with a lot of gear upgrades, on AT and CS runs we kill things a lot faster with Blizzard and so I tend to skip the CIs rather than waiting for the merc to kill them.

Hello all,
I just made a brand new assassin I would like to enter into the race for 99. I am about to start running her. Her name is zoe (after the newest league of legends champ that came out a few days ago!!) Lets see how this goes! What milestones are relavant posts to this thread without cloging it up with useless info?

Welcome to Zoe! Updates are entirely up to you, anything you like. Some people update every time that they get a level, find a nice item or something funny happens. Sometimes its a question that somebody wants input on. Other periodically post a really big update. Post as and when you like, with whatever you like :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High