The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

Hello again guys! I made a break for a few months and just started leveling my Sorc again. Nice to see this thread is still active and congrats to Pb_pal and NanoMist to reach 99, impressive feat there :)

Personally I haven´t made much progress since the last time I posted here. Only thing mentionable is I found a Lidless Wall, so I´m now able to use a CoH while still have the 117 fcr breakpoint.

For the future leveling I´m looking for a thread I had saved on my old PC. It was about high level zones without monsters with a certain immunity (in my example lightning) Anyone knows what I´m talking about? I haven´t managed to find it again for half an hour.

Reina's hit a pretty big landmark today!

LMneBDF.jpg

Welcome back @Reyz! And great job @Neksja -- having 40M XP waiting for you at this stage is a huge plus and must be a big relief to get nearly 0.15 level just from killing three old guys :).

Mercy had a little mishap. As I mentioned, we were going out of town on Sunday, so I thought it would be fun to squeeze in another 2.3M XP and let Mercy tag 3.29B before we left. But I also had to finish something up for work before we left, and was rushing. There were vipers and Mercy had laid down some death sentry's before switching to fire blast to finish off Nihl. I'd been using LMB for FB and Nihl teleported right as I was clicking, so Mercy charged ahead, while cursed, into poison clouds.

Nihl was still very much alive, along with some vipers, for the body retrieval, so it was a bit tricky. But once it was accomplished I quit and finished my work rather than risking another mistake. But I ended up getting another million XP back that evening and pushed back through 3.287B to 3.29B over the last few days.

So lesson learned -- don't rush! :rolleyes: And FB is now hotkeyed to RMB for use if vipers are around.

On the plus side, the second time through the 3.28_ range led to a Gul, Arkaine's (grailer for her) and an Azurewrath. After this set back, I am going to focus on Mercy more than I expected to try to get 3.3B XP before we leave for another trip next weekend.

I had a little mishap last night myself in the AT. It was late and I was getting really tired, but trying to trudge on in hopes of a Mara's or Shako. I mistakingly hot keyed to Teleport instead of FO, and proceeded to TP right into a pack of cursed skellies. Getting the corpse back wasn't too hard, but I hate dying when I see what's coming. Coming around a corner in the pit, and getting nailed by an archer pack sucks, but is a little less maddening as far as messing up my maneuvering since very little can be done about that.

Since it seems help people, I will just throw it out there to the RNG gods that I need a damn Mara's. 3 Seraph's Hym's and 2 Highlords Wraths are nice, but gib me Mara's.

Like @hasuprotoss I reached an albeit smaller milestone yesterday. My journey from 94 to 95 started off really well. Within something like 20 runs I had made CtA and ebug Duress for merc and nice items were dropping everywhere. It quickly teetered off though and the journey from 94.25 to 95 was very tedious with preciously few highlights. Barring an unforseen Griffon, Death's Fathom or Mara (possibly Tal's Amulet), I am quite set as far as uniques/sets are concerned. I would love for LK to start coughing up some runes soon though if I am to maintain my hope of ever assembling an Infinity and moving on to CS for leveling. Would also love to eventually see a useful skiller with life (currently one plain fire and one plain cold - both rolled). My charms besides skillers are nice though.
For the time being, I think I'll stick to LK/AT and very very slow leveling, so don't expect any updates in the near future from me :)

94 to 95 in pictures:
View attachment 5006

@PhineasB yes, that 40M boost definitely felt amazing. Also, a bit frightening since now I can't tell myself "Just keep grinding, eventually you'll get that 40M boost from Ancients". And now I really can't die anymore, I don't think I could handle another death at 98. Maybe I should start keeping a Recovery Kit in my stash, but I have no clue what items I should include, maybe I could make a Sanctuary Sacred Targe, I have a 3os 45@ base already, and then use something like a Skin of the Vipermagi, Wizardspike/Spirit Sword and maybe that's enough? Just to stack resists, since that's most likely the reason I would die, Conviction and Fire damage.

Unlucky with the death, but I am glad you are back on track :) Not rushing is a good rule, I've now also adopted the "Do not watch Netflix when doing p7 runs" :)

As mentioned, the next 2 weeks-ish, Aura will be running Cows. Hoping for all three pieces of Cow King Set and maybe another grailer would be great, not to mention Zod, but let's just start with the hopes of finding Cow King Set item(s).

Agreed, that 40M boost @98 feels incredibly, but also has a big 'don't die anymore now' sign attached to it. Then again that's not something you want to do at that level anyway.

About a recovery kit: definitely do it. You'll go crazy if you die and don't have one. I have a moser's with diamonds, vipermagi, arachnid's and spirit. Although that might be too much.

+1 to the body recovery kit. Losing the full 29M versus <8M is a huge difference. The latter is only ~3.5 hours, while I'm not sure I'd handle having another 13-14 hours to make up the full amount.

I don't worry about "too much" in the kit because Mercy's stash is basically empty without it (I go straight to GoMule when the cube gets full). So Mercy's kit includes Shako, Vipermagi, Moser, Heart of the Oak, a +life plated belt, and gloves with +dext to allow her to carry the Heart of the Oak. More items means greater care to ensure you get every piece from the corpse (as I learned). But I think safety to avoid a second death is worth it. And the goal is to not have to use it anyhow, right? :rolleyes:

Play HC - then you will never need a recovery kit and all your worries about loosing exp to deaths are over :D

So I've always liked the idea of this thread and have my Assassin on the table, but I have always had a bad habit of not sticking to one particular character... so my stable of self-found untwinked chars has been growing. I've got the 90 Assassin, who hasn't been touched in a while and is quite honestly pretty boring at this point without better gear (and the grind for better gear is kind of slow for her). This led to the creation of a sorc, now 76 and my current focus, although I get tired of Blizzard easily so she will probably wear me out soon. (I mean, without Infinity, Cold is kind of the way to go, and Orb, while a spell I like, is just so weak...) Jim the Frenzy Barb is 77 and killed the Countess once, but he's a bit of a drag with his current weapons. Larry the (at present) Fissure Druid is 31, hoping to eventually respec to some kind of shapeshifter.

So why the long story? Basically I'm thinking of making a "sept" type thing for this, although none will ever reach 99... but having a rotation of chars to keep me interested as they slowly progress levelwise seems fun. Anyways, I was feeling like starting a Zon. They seem to have fairly low representation here so far.

My initial thought was a FA/IA bowzon, but I'm kind of worried about mana. I *hate* mana potions, and self found will mean no neat 1.07 MPK rings to ease the suffering. So instead I was thinking I might play through the game as a Spearzon, allowing myself to use charged strike, but avoiding Lightning Fury since I've used it to death over the years. Maybe some kind of physical/lightning hybrid... Was thinking 2h Spear, but may go ahead and do 1h melee as well. Anyone run a cheap zon like this before? Will it be incredibly frustrating?

So, yeah, ramble ramble ramble, etc. Keep up the good work all.

Ok so my weekly update is a bit anemic, since I didn't add a level and only very little experience (like 0.2 levels).
I did play alot (!) though, but decided to hit the LK-pipe hard. And I got some nice results to show for it - Infinity is quite a bit closer now and I got some nice updates on a couple of my small charms. No luck with skillers though.

(All the numbered pictures are at 95.2 since I am only LK-ing atm to get some headway on upcoming levels)
View attachment 5028
Ok so that #11 really got me fired up. I can taste that Infinity :)

#EDIT: On a side note: Would it actually be better for me to make a CoH with that Ber? That would allow me to go full on mf in AT and search for Griffon + Facet (plus maybe Eschuta). Or is a light-sorc without Griffon fully capable of coping with CS players 8? I also reckon I need some more mana charms before loosing the Insight - how much mana is enough for a light-sorc (without having to chug blue pots all the time)?

Last edited:
If you're intent on playing lightning sorc, Infinity is by far the better investment. It could be a long time before a Griffon drops, not sure I would try to MF for that. -ELR is really nice for the storm casters, you can try to look into a crescent moon setup with vipermagi.

Thanks for the advice - I appreciate any help I can get.
I'm not intent on playing pure lightsorc, but I doubt I can muster the energy to go to level 99 in AT. And going to CS, Baal or Nihlathak with my current setup is just not something I fell comfortable doing; I'm not the type to just tele into the fray and only kill bosses - that is just not my playstyle. Even in AT I prefer full clears.
I could however see myself going to 98 or 99 doing players 8 (mostly) full CS clears - which is why I thought of light sorc.
Someone suggested also a Blowa - maybe I could try that for Baal runs and level there. But I really hate dolls, gloams, witches etc. - I once lost a 97 paladin to a pack of conviction gloams just before the throne.
Or I could retire this lass and try something else entirely, but I really like the idea of getting her to 99 still. I think 95 is too early to call it quits.
I'll just keep LK'ing atm and see what develops. Heck maybe I'll end up with both a CoH, Infinity and a better CtA - the way runes are flowing, I'm not too far away.

So why the long story? Basically I'm thinking of making a "sept" type thing for this, although none will ever reach 99... but having a rotation of chars to keep me interested as they slowly progress levelwise seems fun. Anyways, I was feeling like starting a Zon. They seem to have fairly low representation here so far.

I support the Sept approach (even if they never reach 99) and hope you will post their progress in this thread or elsewhere. I think the rotation is a good strategy to keep interested, and part of the reason why I ended up with three 99ers so far. I've actually toyed with the options for an untwinked Necro and Barb to build out the options (and keep me occupied until 2020 :rolleyes:). I don't see a Zon or Druid untwinked in the cards for me though.

But I'd be interested in following the progress of an untwinked Sept into the 80s and 90s, whether you push them through to the end or not.

Code:
Name          (C)            SC/HC    Class  Level/exp   Extended Stash  #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths  # of Hours
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy      Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal        Eleanor         SC      Sorc      99             No         3068        437            5           -
NanoMist      Izuna           SC      Sin       99             No         5109        470            4         360
Neksja        Aura            SC      Paladin   98.30          Yes        8170        464            -           -
PhineasB      Mercy           SC      Sin       98.2           Yes           -        457           10           -
T72on1        Neverland       SC      Sorc      98             Yes        2190+?      446           13         260
hasuprotoss   Reina           SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1751        384            -           -
PhineasB      Hiatus          SC      Sorc      96             Yes           -        380           18           -
Tarantella    Tarasha         HC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
XyleneCyanol  Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
darkstarhub   Neptune         SC      Sorc      93             Yes           -          -            -           -
ThomasJohnsen xInTheBuffx     HC      Sorc      92             Yes           -          -            -           -
Reyz          Qty             SC      Sorc      92             No            -          -            -           -
Chaostar      Prairie         SC      Sorc      91             Yes         659        261           12         126
OldSoldier    Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
tokerdin      tokeress        SC      Sorc      91             yes           -          -            -           -
Southpaw      Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt        CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           ?          -      Dont want to know
MercMan       Este            SC      Ama       90             Yes        1212        278            2      Classified
Me2Nik        Fugu            HC      Ama       90             Yes          80
PhineasB      Phaedrus        SC      Pala      90             Yes         292        162            9           -
BKC           Meteorbin       SC      Sorc      90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Lynchgrinch   Tattersail      SC      Sorc      89             Yes           ?        321         too many     lots
LiquidClear   Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage   zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -
Zenigma       Ayura           SC      Barb      **             No            -          -            -           -
Neksja        Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone     Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Gnosis          SC      Druid     86             No            -          -            -           -
Lord Molyb    Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     84             No          104         87           16          idk
Qwernt        AmaAgainstAll   SC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit        Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Jean Avila    SpeedAdict      SC      Ama       77             No            -          -            -          50
logo          Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
TwentyMule    Rayne           SC      Sorc      76             Yes         195        140            ?           ?
Darke Rahl    Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0
Vildecor      Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax    Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
Lord Molyb    Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       50             No           12          9            0         idk
Kitteh        Darozzo         HC      Druid     45             No            -          -            -           -
TrU           Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit        Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer       Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin    Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -

So i entered my Meteor / Frozen Orb sorceres(Meteorbin) to the table, i hit 90 this weekend and i am planning to play her in AT until atleast 94 :). After that i will do a gear review and might switch to CS. (maybe even a respec not sure yet). I do not want to roll a new map since i got the best LK/ROF maps ever (close to andy and meph too) i will keep you guys posted about her progress. Poison_Vic is in the fridge for now :) so removed him from the table!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High