The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

@T72on1 - LOTS of close calls for me, but that was mostly just due to my really low life total and not necessarily from the vipers themselves. If you're standing still, the clouds don't matter (unless your merc runs back to your side, in which case you get pinged for damage extra second frame so.... you're dead). I just tele'd into the corner and threw a Blizz out, the merc would run in and engage the monsters, which left me alone and safe from the clouds.

As for maps, there are only 3 maps to worry about. If you're not going to bother with XP shrines, the 3rd map is the shortest and therefore the best (it's also what I used). You can also try to find one with a well/health shrine along the way so you never have to visit Malah. Just for clarification for those who don't know, Nanomist and I did some pretty extensive testing on shrines and it turns out that due to the extra time it takes to scan for and click them, they aren't noticeably more efficient in terms of straight XP/time. They ARE however more efficient in the sense that you require less runs to level, so technically your chance of dying is lower. I didn't bother with them for the most part, Nanomist did, so it's really whatever you're more comfortable with. Personally I prefer the more streamlined playing of not checking for them.

Cool to hear the fire sorc is working out, always nice to get some different builds checked off the list as viable runners. :)

I'm no expert because Mercy is only about 1500 runs in. But I definitely prefer map #3. @zticazzy had a nice little summary here.

Basically, if you go through WP and find yourself in a large-ish room with columns, you've found the right map. Mercy has also found the well on Nihl's level convenient to have, although she uses it only once every 5 runs or so.

For the shrines, @Pb_pal pretty much covered it -- I've now done check-all-three shrines (which are slightly out of the way) and hit only one shrine that is directly only the fastest path to Nihl's platform. Trying to get and keep an XP shrine has been a nice little side-challenge that I suspect will keep the runs more interesting for me over the long term. But I could also see myself skipping some or all shrines for more streamlined runs along the way.

Cool. Thanks guys. I seem to have hit map #3 atm, so that is nice. No shrines or wells, but it doesn't really matter if I don't plan on going for the xp ones, right?

Did some more test runs and died once, due to teleporting right next to Nihl immediately, being cursed by witches and then charged by those slow zombie types. Shouldn't happen anymore, as I had the impression that one meteor actually takes out Nihl when he has been brought to 1/2 life with Static. So I should just make sure to follow a safe routine of teleporting just past his pack, cast Meteor on him, Static a few times, and finish off with Fire Ball if needed. But hey, that's what test runs are for, right, to find such things out ;).

I'm happy it works out, because it's definitely a fun skill routine to follow, and as @Pb_pal mentions, it's always nice to have more viable builds. I'll still have to work out how to nail down highly resistant Nihl though, and it might be better to skip FI Nihl altogether I think. The problem isn't so much that it takes a while for my merc and my Orb to kill him in that case, but more that it gives him time to teleport around, which only adds to the time needed to kill him. In my ususal routine he is dead by the time he starts teleporting around.

Sorry I'm too lazy to check it, but what run times / xp per hour did you guys get?

O yes, and I completely forgot about Delirium again. Gonna try that out now instead of the Vamp Gaze.

I was doing 28s/run, Nanomist I think was just north of 30s.

Also, Delerium ftw down there. Confused vipers = big time safety.

I ran Nihl with dual Dream ES zealsorc for fun and it was fast, but not something I'd call fun. Not for untwinked play for sure, but doable. Can't even recall the details about it now.

Just to provide some numbers for the shrines, 15% of my Nihlathak runs were successfully completed with an exp. shrine, or 7.5% more exp. overall. That's with a 3 shrine map and includes the possibility of losing the shrine to curses. Looks like the rest is already covered..

Also, S&E > rejuv when in trouble. Save the rejuvs for nice drops that you have to fight for.

I deeds Lim-Dul today by coming back through a portal and getting swamped, oops. I'm not a fan of S&E to avoid death, so off he went. Fordyl is (relatively) close to 99, so I'm planning to put what little D2 time I get into getting him over the line. After that, I may enter this again. Probably not in HC though, given my little play time, HC just isn't worth it. Hopefully I will have more time in the future, or perhaps make it a tournament entry.

Sorry to hear that. I also do not S&E - if it's meant to be it's meant to be. Gl with Fordyl.

Some more test runs for my yesterday evening.

The good news ... average run times of 28 - 30 seconds, definitely happy with that, as I'm only starting out with them. Regular runs are very fast, as Nihl indeed dies to one Meteor most of the times when being Static'ed to 1/2 hp, but it's the times when Nihl is FI or FE which slow me down. I added some cold skillers to help out in those situations, which seemed to help, but it's still much slower. When he is FE / LE I already just skip him, because it would take far too long.

The bad news ... died 2 more times, so I'm still at base xp :(. Two times to snakes, I guess I have to be more careful as to where I teleport. Also I should make a habit out of teleporting far enough away from the monsters, so my merc has to take a few steps forward before he can engage them. Right now I often teleport right behind the pack, but if there's snakes around and the merc just moves a bit, we are both dead instantly. Not sure if there's more things I can do as to not to die. O yes, I also equiped that second Nature's Peace instead of Bul-Kathos', but haven't had any situations that really tested me ever since.

I hope I get better at this and stop dying, because I really want to do that final level at Nihl. I don't feel like going back to the CS. I might include Baal runs into the mix later on, if I get bored with Nihl, but for now I'm not taking on Ancients yet. I want to get better at Nihl first and stop dying, so I don't loose that juicy xp boost I get from Ancients.

O yes, I got a Shako from those first test runs, so that's a start :).

Just keep at it @T72on1, you'll figure it out :) It took me a while to get used to running Nihl, now that I have not run him for maybe two weeks, I'd probably need another "warm up" -session to get used to it again. Also, you've moved from relatively safe, and more importantly a consistent, CS runs to more dangerous and variable Nihl runs.

All this talk about Nihl runs makes me want do some Nihl running :) Maybe I'll give it a go and actually time my runs. I'll report back if I decide to do that :)

edit.

Did very brief testing, 20 mins p8 Nihl, 20mins p1 CS and 20mins p7 CS.

Nihl p8 avg run time 40sec
p1 CS avg run time 1min 27sec
p7 CS avg run time 1min 35sec

I think I'll be switching to p7, just for the extra chance of nice drops. I liked these from the last test run:

Code:
Titan's Revenge
Ceremonial Javelin
Throw Damage: 99 - 273
One Hand Damage: 99 - 193
Quantity: 69
Required Level: 42
Required Strength: 15
Required Dexterity: 99
Fingerprint: 0xa7e35572
Item Level: 94
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Unidentified
+2 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)
+2 to Amazon Skill Levels
+30% Faster Run/Walk
176% Enhanced Damage
Adds 25 - 50 Damage
5% Life stolen per hit
+20 to Strength
+20 to Dexterity
Increased Stack Size
Replenishes quantity
Ethereal

Last edited:
@Neksja Thanks :).

One more hour of runs done yesterday, and they went very smooth. S&E one or two times when the place was crowded and things looked as if they were getting too nasty, but other than that absolutely no issues. As long as I remember to take a few steps back after I have teleported behind Nihl, I seem to be fine, even with vipers around. Only had an average of 33s or so, but that was because I was eating and chatting in between running. So 30s should definitely be doable for me. Next time I'll try to see how much xp / hour I get, as that says more about efficiency of runs, with some abandonned runs thrown in the mix and such.

Btw, managed to hit the 3.232M xp mark for the first time, so that is a start.

I'm thinking of going back to LK first though, to see if I can find a Sur or Ber, so I can make an Enigma for my Zon. I'd love to do half of my RFL round 3 runs with a fire Sorc and half of them with the Javazon, so I'd better get that Sur or Ber soon. And yes, that is a little spoiler for the results of RFL round 2, but you all already knew that my top 5 completely consists of Cham and Jah runes, so it doesn't matter that much anyway ;).

Since I love Barbs, and I'm looking for a challenge, I decided to get in on this untwinked 99 thing. I made my Barb, named Athos after my favorite Musketeer, yesterday. He's a hardcore with no extended stash, and I'm also not going to use any skill resets (but I will use RWM runewords). I started offloading every S/U he finds into a stash so I can track his item totals. I thought about going for a Frenzy build to be different, but Whirlwind is what I like so Whirlwind is what I will spec. Well, 1 point Concentrate until I get a suitable weapon for Whirlwind.

He started off pretty slow, no S/U drops in Act 1 despite clearing out all the various caves along the way. Act 2 and 3 made up for it though, and by the Flayer Jungle I had all 3 pieces of Hsarus along with Cathan's ring, amulet, and body armor. I could hardly believe my luck, and it made the rest of normal go by easily. I'm starting nightmare now, and I'll update when I get to hell. My next goal will be finding a new source of CBF, since I outgrew the Hsarus set (Goblin Toe boots dropped, must equip for crushing blow). Probably a Rhyme shield, since all I need is a Shael. I'm patient enough to play a sword and board Barb. Plus my last attempt at a HC Barb ended up dead after I dropped his shield for more Whirlwind damage.

EDIT: Oh and I'm a masochist so I'm leaving p8 on until I finish nightmare. Also I finish every quest and find every waypoint in normal and nightmare. It bothers me if things are incomplete on lower difficulties.

Last edited:
Welcome to @Naturallog! I’m also looking forward to @BKC joining us when his Sorc hits level 90! And @T72on1 it’s very cool to see different builds tried out for level 98. I look forward to watching Neverland’s progress roasting Nihl over and over. ;)

Mercy is another 1/10th closer to the goal. Not too much excitement, with one exception, as she continues to plug away.

A little after the last update, she ran out of flawless amethysts to carry around for gem shrines and so generally had a ruby or other flawless in her inventory for the shrines, with the idea that it would allow occasional Baal charm rerolls.

But she hit a stretch with no amethysts dropping between 12 gem shrines, so she had built up quite a pool of pgems. So she also picked up all flawless gems to cube for a while. It slowed the runs down noticeably, but was okay for a brief stretch. She also had been picking up and cubing to pRubies since the beginning of 98 and had ~20 or so stashed.

So Mercy did a little spree and used up the pgems, including the rubies (I have quite a few good rare rings, so I figured potential upgrade to charms is better use than minuscule chance of amazing blood ring). Well, hi there:
View attachment 4960
The +5 life suffix is kind of hilarious, but another +skill is quite welcome. :cool: She dropped the Shimmering GC of Sustenance (keeping Gheeds for now to work on her grail) and used that set up for the remainder of runs.

She is switching up though, to drop three SCs of vita in favor of the Shimmering GC. Fire resists in mid 50s and near zero poison and cold and low 40s lightning were just a little too uncomfortable. Nihl’s corpse explosions were taking off big chunks and she regularly was in the 1000s hit points at the end of runs. The loss of ~30 hit points for 15@ resists (now back to almost maxed fire) seem a safer bet in the long run.

Finds of note since last update: Um, Ist, Stonecrusher, and Mal #4, plus the Cat’s Eye amulet and Tancred’s boots (which were grailers for her).

One annoying side note: her XP shrine luck cratered. One stretch is illustrative: 12 shrines in a row got cursed off, with the ones picked up on level 2 or right by level 3 entrance cursed off by witches and Nihl being cursed for each of the ones she found right by his platform. :mad: I’m not sure how to avoid Nihl when he’s cursed – I’ve tried positioning as far away as possible while Merc’s aura still gets Nihl, and the XP shrine still gets cursed off. Oh well . . .

How about your daily/weekly XP/run goals? Have you figured them out? How's Nihl running going otherwise? Safe and quick I assume?

I’ve settled on the goal for this level. Now that she is back to more streamlined runs (only gems she’ll pick up are flawless amethysts), she is ~2.35-2.4M XP/per hour (and with better shrine luck, she would be closer to 2.45M). So averaging half an hour each weekday and 4.0 hours each weekend would see her getting >.05 of the level per week or ~ a tenth every two weeks.

I’ll have limited time the rest of March, as we’re leaving for a short vacation tomorrow, then visiting friends the following weekend and my parents visiting the week after. And I’m going to spend more time on Phaedrus and Hiatus. I’d like to get Phaedrus to 91 on p5 RoF superchest runs before shifting to LK, using CS runs with Hiatus as a break.

So I will aim for Mercy making it 98.25 by the end of March. Then my weekly goal will start. It would see her to 99 sometime in July (assuming I can keep her alive!).

Table Update:
Code:
Name          (C)            SC/HC    Class  Level/exp   Extended Stash  #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths  # of Hours
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy      Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal        Eleanor         SC      Sorc      99             No         3068        437            5           -
NanoMist      Izuna           SC      Sin       99             No         5109        470            4         360
Neksja        Aura            SC      Paladin   98.30          Yes        8170        464            -           -
PhineasB      Mercy           SC      Sin       98.2           Yes           -        457           10           -
T72on1        Neverland       SC      Sorc      98             Yes        2190+?      446           13         260
hasuprotoss   Reina           SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1751        384            -           -
PhineasB      Hiatus          SC      Sorc      96             Yes           -        380           18           -
Tarantella    Tarasha         HC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
XyleneCyanol  Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
darkstarhub   Neptune         SC      Sorc      93             Yes           -          -            -           -
ThomasJohnsen xInTheBuffx     HC      Sorc      92             Yes           -          -            -           -
Reyz          Qty             SC      Sorc      92             No            -          -            -           -
Chaostar      Prairie         SC      Sorc      91             Yes         659        261           12         126
OldSoldier    Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
tokerdin      tokeress        SC      Sorc      91             yes           -          -            -           -
Southpaw      Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt        CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           ?          -      Dont want to know
MercMan       Este            SC      Ama       90             Yes        1212        278            2      Classified
Me2Nik        Fugu            HC      Ama       90             Yes          80
PhineasB      Phaedrus        SC      Pala      90             Yes         292        162            9           -
Lynchgrinch   Tattersail      SC      Sorc      89             Yes           ?        321         too many     lots
LiquidClear   Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage   zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -
Zenigma       Ayura           SC      Barb      **             No            -          -            -           -
Neksja        Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone     Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Gnosis          SC      Druid     86             No            -          -            -           -
Lord Molyb    Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     84             No          104         87           16          idk
Qwernt        AmaAgainstAll   SC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit        Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Jean Avila    SpeedAdict      SC      Ama       77             No            -          -            -          50
logo          Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
TwentyMule    Rayne           SC      Sorc      76             Yes         195        140            ?           ?
Darke Rahl    Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0
Vildecor      Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax    Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
Lord Molyb    Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       50             No           12          9            0         idk
Kitteh        Darozzo         HC      Druid     45             No            -          -            -           -
TrU           Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit        Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer       Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin    Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
BKC           Poison_Vic      SC      Necro     12             Yes           1          1            -          2,5

The Fallen
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
TwentyMule  Valus           HC      Barb      76             Yes           -          -            1           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

One annoying side note: her XP shrine luck cratered. One stretch is illustrative: 12 shrines in a row got cursed off, with the ones picked up on level 2 or right by level 3 entrance cursed off by witches and Nihl being cursed for each of the ones she found right by his platform. :mad: I’m not sure how to avoid Nihl when he’s cursed – I’ve tried positioning as far away as possible while Merc’s aura still gets Nihl, and the XP shrine still gets cursed off. Oh well . . .

Nothing you can do about the witches, but cursed Nihla is manageable as long as he does not have a pulse damage aura or is not LE. If I see cursed mod, I will reposition merc with a teleport before the arctic blast hits him. I've also had bad stretches of RNG with shrines, but also good stretches as well. Should balance out in the end.

Thanks @NanoMist. I didn't realize the pulse damage and LE trigger the curse. Mercy (and merc) dodge the arctic blast, but she must have gotten unlucky with holy __ auras or LE.

Sadly this update is uninteresting. I decided to make the most of my great Mephisto map and ran him alot. Did find some interesting items but nothing I really can use for this character. I also used up all my craft materials (which wasn't as much as I had remebered) but didn't get anything spectacular. Most of the leveling is from AT players 8.

Level 93 to 94 in pictures:
View attachment 4961

I can already see that the next update will be much more interesting - I am at 94.25 and have abandoned Mephisto in favor of a very good LK map. I have made a CtA and an eth Duress for the merc, and progress is good without me wasting time on popping Mephisto for loads of items that I'll never use :)

Update on my barb, I've finished nightmare and now need to focus on getting a decent enough weapon for hell. I will need a lot of +str on gear to equip elite weapons. I'm not allowing myself any respecs and I've put only 80 base str since I eventually will make Enigma. Currently I'm using a helm and body armor stuffed with flawless topazes for MF, hopefully I'll find a good weapon soon.

Table Update:

Code:
Name          (C)            SC/HC    Class  Level/exp   Extended Stash  #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths  # of Hours
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy      Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal        Eleanor         SC      Sorc      99             No         3068        437            5           -
NanoMist      Izuna           SC      Sin       99             No         5109        470            4         360
Neksja        Aura            SC      Paladin   98.30          Yes        8170        464            -           -
PhineasB      Mercy           SC      Sin       98.2           Yes           -        457           10           -
T72on1        Neverland       SC      Sorc      98             Yes        2190+?      446           13         260
hasuprotoss   Reina           SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1751        384            -           -
PhineasB      Hiatus          SC      Sorc      96             Yes           -        380           18           -
Tarantella    Tarasha         HC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
XyleneCyanol  Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
darkstarhub   Neptune         SC      Sorc      93             Yes           -          -            -           -
ThomasJohnsen xInTheBuffx     HC      Sorc      92             Yes           -          -            -           -
Reyz          Qty             SC      Sorc      92             No            -          -            -           -
Chaostar      Prairie         SC      Sorc      91             Yes         659        261           12         126
OldSoldier    Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
tokerdin      tokeress        SC      Sorc      91             yes           -          -            -           -
Southpaw      Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt        CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           ?          -      Dont want to know
MercMan       Este            SC      Ama       90             Yes        1212        278            2      Classified
PhineasB      Phaedrus        SC      Pala      90             Yes         292        162            9           -
Lynchgrinch   Tattersail      SC      Sorc      89             Yes           ?        321         too many     lots
LiquidClear   Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage   zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -
Zenigma       Ayura           SC      Barb      **             No            -          -            -           -
Neksja        Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone     Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Gnosis          SC      Druid     86             No            -          -            -           -
Lord Molyb    Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     84             No          104         87           16          idk
Qwernt        AmaAgainstAll   SC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit        Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Jean Avila    SpeedAdict      SC      Ama       77             No            -          -            -          50
logo          Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
TwentyMule    Rayne           SC      Sorc      76             Yes         195        140            ?           ?
Darke Rahl    Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0
Naturallog    Athos           HC      Barb      71             No           48         41            0           -
Vildecor      Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax    Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
Lord Molyb    Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       50             No           12          9            0         idk
Kitteh        Darozzo         HC      Druid     45             No            -          -            -           -
TrU           Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit        Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer       Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin    Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
BKC           Poison_Vic      SC      Necro     12             Yes           1          1            -          2,5

The Fallen
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
TwentyMule  Valus           HC      Barb      76             Yes           -          -            1           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

Table Update:
Code:
Neksja        Aura            SC      Paladin   98.50          Yes        8606        464            -           -
Naturallog    Athos           HC      Barb      71             No           48         41            0           -

The Fallen
Code:

How are we on page 2?! Runners, get a grip!

So, huge update on Aura at least on XP wise. Halfway mark has now been reached, thanks to doing the Ancients quest this week in preparation of RFL Round 3 for cows. I know, Hammerdin is not the most efficient Cow runner, but I wanted to hunt for that Zod to finish a runedrop grail and I'm still 6 grailers behind @NanoMist and it would be amazing to nail down one or two Cow King Set items ;)

RFL Round 2 happened, not pleased with the results. I finished last of those who finished full 20hr set, landing a top 5 of Sur, Sur, Ohm, Ist and Ist. None of those runes have any use for Aura obviously. They are nice, but I doubt I'll use other than Ohm and Ist for rerolling CTA because what else I'm gonna with my runes?

Ancients Quest took me to 3.370bn, so I just ran the last 5mil at CS on /p5. No significant drops. Actually, none since my last update, except the Eth Titans I posted here already. I also found Eth Shaftstop, but it's already in one of my stashes and couldn't find it anymore for a readout :p

Aura's future plan is to hunt cows for the next 20 hours, then back to /p7 CS runs. I'll do some maths when I start running again for XP that how long I estimate it to take to get that last half a level.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High