The Spear-Person Challenge

I have been thinking about crafting things since I started this character. The first thing I wanted to craft was hit power gloves, actually. I've long wanted to experiment with WW and knockback. I did craft a couple of War Forks, but they were terrible. If I find a magic Mancatcher, I'll definitely try crafting that.

Another character update:
I made it to hell. And it is hell. Nihlathak's temple in NM was dangerous. In fact, that's where I had 2 or 3 close calls. Those minotaurs don't play around! But I made it through. I kind of rushed it through the ancients way, because I was getting tired of NM. The ancients themselves were easy(on p8). Although there were some logistical problems.
View attachment 9532
When you're alone and you stand in the corner, the Annoying One can't whirl you. After I was done with Madawc, I ran to another corner, and proceeded to poke The Annoying One. I used Concentrate, because WW would have caused me to leave the corner. It took forever, but I got him down. Except there was one problem. My weapon was totally broken, and I still had 1 mostly healthy ancient to go. Had to give up! I TP'ed to town, did some shopping until I found a cruel pike, and put that in my inventory, just in case.

On my second attempt, I made sure to keep Amplisa alive by feeding her potions, and I used WW more liberally. Managed to get them all down without breaking my weapon, although it was in the yellow.

After all that I rushed through the WSK, but I did fully clear the throne level. There were a lot of gloams. Thankfully, my lightning res was maxed, and battle orders made me pretty sturdy. I had to lure away minions of destruction one by one, they would have been far too much trouble all at once. And they were extra strong. But the fight went off without a hitch. Baal was really slow, hard to leech from, and just a pain in the rear. Took forever.

And after that, I'm off to hell. I'm still keeping the game on players8, unless I'm farming. Carefully went out into the Blood Moor, fought some fallen, and some zombies... And it was really tough! The fallen weren't too bad, but the zombies took forever to kill. I decided I'd go through the first quest and also get the Cold Plains WP. The Den of Evil was the hardest area in the entire game up to this point. The zombies there seemed extra extra tough. I could basically only fight them one at a time, so I had to lure them around and kite them. Howl wasn't working on them, they must be too high a level. Somehow, somehow I managed to progress. There were about 4 Gargantuan beasts in the cave, and they were like even tougher zombies. But one on one I could still take them on. Once I cleared the entire cave, except for the boss zombie pack, I realized I had no chance to kill them. I was like "oh no, after all this, I am doooooomed". I was thinking and pondering, and then I remembered: I made an Edge bow for gambling, and it was on my weapon switch. I gave it to Amplisa, and she was also wearing Face of Horror. Together those items grant 'prevent monster heal', and 'hit causes monster to flee 50%'. This let me disperse the final pack of zombies, and slowly whittle them down. Boom first quest in hell complete, and on players8!

Action shot:
View attachment 9533

I think this character will have a vacation of a couple of days, and then I will do a few runs of Blood Moor, on players1.

It hurt to read about the need to reset Ancients because of a broken weapon. Good call to bring along a second weapon for the second attempt. :p

And just a suggestion for Hell: I recently discovered the awesomeness that is Taunt. For the first time in 15 years of Hardcore, I put a point into it to try it out; turns out it's absolutely amazing! Can't believe I was clueless about it for so long.
In case you're unfamiliar:
Taunt typically disables any "special" AI decisions from monsters: They'll stop using skills, and they will stop running away from you (like Fallen, and many ranged monsters).
For example Unravelers will no longer cast Unholy Bolt, Poison Breath, Resurrect, or Bestow, and for example Hierophants will no longer cast Lightning, Teleport, Heal or Blizzard. The best part about it is that there is no duration on the skill, so 1 point is sufficient. Naturally, it will not work on Champions or Uniques.

Other notable monsters:
Sand Maggot (Burrow, Lay Egg)
Grotesque (Spawn Offspring)
Ghoul Lord (Fire Wall, Fire Ball, Meteor, Life Steal Missile)
Gloam (Lightning)
Vulture (Fly)
Council Member (Heal, Hydra)
Finger Mage (Mana Drain)
Succubus (Blood Mana, Defense Curse)
Stygian Fury (Blood Mana, Defense Curse, Amplify Damage, Weaken)
Fallen Shaman (Resurrect, Fire Bolt)
Fetish Shaman (Resurrect, Fetish Aura)
Megademon (Inferno)
Regurgitator (Eat Corpse, Spit Corpse)
Leaper (Leap)
Overseer (Attract, Healing Vortex, Minion Frenzy, Smite)
Frozen Horror (Arctic Blast)
Abyss Knight (Bone Armor)
Demon Imp (Teleport, Bolt, Inferno, Fire Missile, Fire Ball)
Siege Beast (Charge, Stomp)

(Perhaps Taunt doesn't affect Abyss Knight in 1.14?)

Note that Taunted monsters will (typically) close in on you (walking, never running) and use their default attack. In some cases, their default attack is still dangerous, like Inferno from the Fetish Shaman.

Some monsters will stop using their ranged attack, because it is not their default:
Tainted
Maggot
Succubus
Stygian Fury

Last edited:
I had taunt on every barb I ever made... except this one. Decided to change things up. But I got a point in it now, just in case I need it really badly.

PROGRESS UPDATE:
Just as I said, I did the Blood Moor on players1. It was quite easy. I looked up area levels for hell. Blood Moor is only level 69, Den of Evil was like 79. Explains why it was so damn hard. I didn't feel like doing Blood Moor over and over again, so I set the game to p8 again, and proceeded to run into the Cold Plains. I killed a bosspack of cold rogues, and there were several other bosspacks I didn't engage. I thought about what to do about my lack of elite items, so I decided to just run around on players8 and open some containers. Here's how it looked :p
View attachment 9558

Not the best or most efficient idea. Those rogues are too fast. But this technique did kind of work in the Mausoleum and that other nearby area(Crypt?) . I did 2 runs kicking over all the barrels and opening all the graves. I whirled past the monsters and tried not to engage. No good drops, no elite weapons from that. And obviously quite dangerous to be walking around lvl 85 zombies.

After this I decided to go back to nightmare and see if I can acquire some gear upgrades. I tried shopping for more pikes but it was too boring. Then I took some time to roll a good LK map, to get some cash for gambling. Check this out:
View attachment 9559

And this, from the special chest, just a few runs later! I had some trouble taking a screenshot, so I had to pick it up and put it back down again. Also, I thought the highest possible rune from these chests was Fal, but I just looked it up, and it says Fal/Lem.
View attachment 9560

Also gambled this, so close, yet so far. Sold it back to Jamella.
View attachment 9561

All in all, a pretty good haul. When I found the Ko, I was considering making Harmony for Amplisa. But now Wealth is available to me. If I find a suitable base, that is. I wonder what other runewords are an option... Don't really want to lose my Sigon's 3 piece :p

If I do end up making Wealth, there will probably be some NM council runs. Last time I tried those, it was too dangerous, but now I have more life and resists. It should be more exciting than shopping in NM or furiously running away in Hell.

I dunno, it could be a good idea to save that lem for a passion runeword in an elite base. You could probably run hell countess with it.

Yeah I just looked over the runeword list and realized that is within reach. I have a list of runewords I'd like to make for this character, and Passion is nowhere near the top of it. But it is on the list haha

Made a few minutes to play today. Killed Andariel and moved on to Lut Gholein. Had a couple of NDEs due to sloppy play and LE Ghouls and LE Tainted. Had a fun time with a random LE Tainted and about 5 champion ghouls.

I wasn't too impressed with Vengeance at first, but I realized why: I was using a rather low raw damage weapon (the three socket spear). Found a rare spear somewhere in the Catacombs with 42%ED and after that, it was better. I still mostly run around with one point zeal and holy freeze.

Every time I'm not playing, I strongly consider respec-ing to frost zealot, but will stick with the plan for now. Thing is, Pokey whiffs about 2/5 with Vengeance, and only maybe 1/15 with Zeal. I'm not quite sure why that would be.

Pokey the Avenger and Meagan (she don't eat bacon) the Cold Rogue, Lut Gholein. Will probably fetch the cube first, then go after Radament.

Nice going James. A 3 socket brandistock with 3 Ith might be a decent weapon.

I have just beat Blood Raven in hell on players8. It was an epic fight, at some points I didn't think it would be possible and I'd have to quit and try again. It all started yesterday, when I was doing one of my runs of the mausoleum, avoiding monsters and opening containers. Laying of Hands dropped from a chest. At first I wasn't using it, because I needed the mana leech on my gloves.

So today I was thinking, if I use Bash, I can immobilize Blood Raven. And with LoH, I can deal decent damage to her. So I went ahead and tried it. I had to be careful, run around alot, take some hits from zombies. A lot of hits. It took forever. But every once in a while I'd get her away from the zombies and Bash a few times. When she was down to about 1/3 health, she got trapped by her own zombie army, and from then on it was piece of cake!

Also got a new companion who is also named Amplisa, but she uses fire arrow instead of cold arrow. And I made her a Harmony bow in a Great bow I found in The Cave(Den of Evil).

+1 to Taunt. No, make that +1000 !!! Anyone not using it shouldn't be playing a Barb ...

I added a clarification to the rules after playing in Hell for a while. Made things a little more lax.

UPDATE: I've been doing all matter of runs available to me to try to get better gear. Shopping in NM, doing NM council, running Blood Moor and Cave in hell, opening chests and coffins in the mausoleum. I was starting to get bored, so I decided to relax the rules a bit. Since I went through all the trouble to defeat Blood Raven, I thought this should allow me to run Cold Plains and The Cave therein on players1. This made things much more fun.

Also, before defeating Blood Raven, I had found a Lum rune from a rock in Cold Plains. It's in my Atma stash at the moment, but I know what I'm using it on. As soon as I find a suitable base item...

[HIGHLIGHT]Alicia the HC Fendazon[/HIGHLIGHT]

Character Inspiration:

From the Manga/Anime 'Claymore', Alicia is the number 1 ranked Claymore in her generation and her twin sister, Beth, is the number 2.
When Alicia awakens her powers, she has long spear-like appendages and she cuts very fast (hence Fend) while her sister grounds her spirit/essence while not moving very much (hence Decoy).

[Originally, I was planning to do a Claymore themed group of characters wielding Claymores, but Claymores aren't very good weapons and are only normal types, so I decided to take inspiration from the awakened forms and base my build around that theme]

Level: 16

Alicia, rather unusually, hired a mercenary before facing Blood Raven; Meghan proved to be a great help:

View attachment 9627

The Countess dropped a useful rune:

View attachment 9628

Alicia and Meghan will now run the Countess (on P1) to stockpile some lower level runes...

I added a clarification to the rules after playing in Hell for a while. Made things a little more lax.

UPDATE: I've been doing all matter of runs available to me to try to get better gear. Shopping in NM, doing NM council, running Blood Moor and Cave in hell, opening chests and coffins in the mausoleum. I was starting to get bored, so I decided to relax the rules a bit. Since I went through all the trouble to defeat Blood Raven, I thought this should allow me to run Cold Plains and The Cave therein on players1. This made things much more fun.

Also, before defeating Blood Raven, I had found a Lum rune from a rock in Cold Plains. It's in my Atma stash at the moment, but I know what I'm using it on. As soon as I find a suitable base item...

I don't follow, are you making Stone?

Smoke Templar Coat! I found the Lum rune a few days ago now, and I just stashed it. I mean it's a Lum, it's probably not good for anything. But then I gave another look to the runewords list, and there it was, armor with +50 to all resists. I would have cubed my runes and made it back in NM if I had... noticed that this runeword exists. Still can't wear it in Hell, since I need to life leech from my Sigon's pieces. So now I'm running NM Andariel for a String of Ears. Those runs are very fun, and she drops piles of normal uniques and sets. The only problem is I can't leave that 3rd Kinemil's Awl on the ground, so I had to mule items off every 5-7 runs.

@ioupainmax I like what you're doing!

Alicia, rather unusually, hired a mercenary before facing Blood Raven; Meghan proved to be a great help:

It never occured to me that you could hire a merc before facing Blood Raven. For some reason I always thought you could only do so after killing her. Makes sense, no? Still, I feel very silly now ... :oops:.

It never occured to me that you could hire a merc before facing Blood Raven. For some reason I always thought you could only do so after killing her. Makes sense, no? Still, I feel very silly now ... :oops:.

They are super cheap to hire, a few hundred gold if that. On P8, it is much easier to just hire one as soon as you can afford it because Blood Raven is tough.

Me too...I guess Kashya either really trusts you with her rogues despite having nothing to go off of, or doesn't care much for their safety...

Nope, it is definitely spelled Meghan, look it's even there in the screenshot you linked to...

Not sure what @jamesixgun is referring to with his spelling, perhaps rhyming with 'vegan'?

Ah, just misspelled.

With the "she don't eat bacon" line, I'm calling up old Propaghandi, ca. 1993. Their cover of "I want you to want me" ends with them singing about someone named "Meghan, Meghan... she don't eat bacon (she'd never kill a sweet innocent little piggy to get bacon!) she's one of them vegans (she's a sweet walking sweet talking lovable vegan) etc."

Dating myself there a little... oh well.

[/OT]

RIP Pokey and Meghan.

Deeds to Radament and a pack of extra fast horror archers. Between the poison and the 5 arrows per second, Pokey put up a valiant effort, but drank through his whole belt just trying to escape the room and didn't quite make it.

Oh well. SC anyway, so I think a respec and maybe something different, maybe a Shock Zealot or something.

This was fun! Thanks, PJ!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High