The Spear-Person Challenge

That could work. I haven't been finding scores of emeralds though. Do normal cows drop them flawless?

I've spent 20 points in energy, so I think I'm gonna do a respec and reclaim those, and try to get enough stats to equip a Mancatcher as soon as possible... Of course getting a Mancatcher in NM is not gonna be easy whatsoever. It would take a lucky Hellforge drop, pretty much.

EDIT: Okay I just looked it up and it takes 2 mid level runes to upgrade a rare weapon to elite. And I was all excited about it...

The story continues:

Johnny slowly progressed through the Jails onto the inner cloister all the way up to the pit where Andariel is.
Along the way he found these golden gloves:

View attachment 9390

And he gambled another brandistock from Gheed (this will get him deep into normal) where more goodies are available :)

View attachment 9391

The stick was a life saver against Andariel. Andariel first drop didnt net anything funny so i decided to continue question in a2. Next stop that cube thingy :)

JohnnySlowPoke, Level 20, Start of A2 luth golein

Alright, update time!

Last time I had just beat act1 nightmare. Well, at the current moment I am at the River of Flame waypoint. Still progressing on players8.

Act2 was really tough. Even though my weapon had the maximum speed, the damage was low enough that killing things was slow. Very very slow. I thought the +%damage to undead on my weapon would help, but I encountered lots of monsters that are not undead. Maggots, flies, scarabs, cats... I ended up running past many enemies in some areas. When I completed the Horradric staff, I did some gambling, and got this(it's upgraded):View attachment 9425

Despite being the slowest possible weapon, it's still amazing. I learned to do short whirls, and the speed is not actually that bad. Except against mana burners, which I just run past now :p

This weapon did not make the end of act2 easy, however. I still skipped a lot of monsters. Fighting Duriel was a peace of cake, though. I could basically out-leech him with Concentrate. Amplisa didn't even die in that fight.

Act3: skipped a lot of stuff. Killing a bosspack of trees was an epic undertaking. Killing flayers was really easy, so I did not try to skip those too much. I tried to get to Lower Kurast as fast as I could. I ran the chests there for a while. Think my runtime is about 2.30. Nightmare LK can't drop any runes I need, but it dropped plenty of gems, and expensive items I could sell for a lot of gold. I gained a few levels there too. Then pushed through the rest of act3. It wasn't too bad. Durance of Hate was pretty messy, so I made haste through there.

Then I tried to do some runs of the council, but it was way too dangerous. I had a few close calls due to Fire Enchanted members exploding. Decided to go back to Lower Kurast after that.

Mephisto, and Durance 3 was a piece of cake. I could tank him, so long as I had potions. It took maybe 4 trips to town before he went down.

Act4, up to where I am now, was slow but not particularly difficult. Here is me bashing Hephasto.View attachment 9426

The last highlight is this weapon I gambled. So close, yet so far. A little too low on damage, and t cannot reach the fastest speed. But still, pretty nice mods.View attachment 9427
That's that for now. I'll probably do more LK runs and gamble more. Need to get those resists up before Diablo. Currently at 30/75/35.

TheTailor, WW barb, level 65, River of Flame.

Have you thought about doing some runs to try to find a 5 socket War Fork for 'Honor' runeword? Might take a while, but could be worth it. I'd keep any eth 5 socket ones you happen to find as well to use against bosses/tough enemies.

I've seen, like, 1 white war fork. And from the reading I did, 5 sockets only start to drop in hell. I think every single weapon I used since level 6 has been gambled.

Curses, Pj... First that Kickstarter thing on the Twitter, and the next thing I know, I'm back in the SPF, entering a tournament I know I'll likely not finish...

Pokey the Avenger and Meghan (she don't eat bacon) the Cold Rogue are currently sitting in the Stony Field. It's been easy going so far. I shopped a 3os Spear very early on (my first trip to Charsi, as a matter of fact) and I probably should've saved it, but decided instead to throw the first three gems I found into it.
View attachment 9444

With a lvl 1 Holy Fire and lvl 5 Resist Fire synergy, he's mowing most everything down, and I'm keeping my eyes open for more 3os spears. No luck with gambling so far.

Two things: 1) I'm running him SC: I fully expect to deeds early and often, and I've long wanted to play an Avenger, so I plan to keep going with him till I lose interest; 2) I'm currently stuck on 1.14a (or b?), and when I visit BattleNet to update, D2 crashes. I could try to download a fresh copy with all the current patches, or downgrade to 1.12 via Wine, but I've heard bad things about 1.14d (e?) on Macs, so I hesitate.

I trust neither of these are issues.

Good to see so many familiar faces around!

Hehehehehe... I always knew you had it in you, James

And yes, SC is fine, but if you die, you don't get any bragging rights.

Made a bit of time to play tonight, and Pokey just rescued Cain. Nothing spectacular to report, but I did find a Stoutnail, from a random champion (or Unique?) archer in the stony field.
View attachment 9502

Interestingly, the screenshot looks clearer and brighter than when I was playing on my screen...

Currently rocking 1pt Zeal with 1pt Holy Fire (synergized by 6 points of Resist Fire: fallen often die to two pulses of the fire... Good times). It's mostly smooth sailing, but Pokey sure likes to whiff, and the whiffing sound on a normal speed spear is annoying. Oh well.

Pokey the Avenger and Meagan (she don't eat bacon) the Cold Rogue, A1, Stony Field. Up Next: the Countess, I guess.

I've long wanted to play a Fanatic Avenger... I know everyone goes Fanaticism and Zeal, and I know the Damage increase in Fanaticism only applies to the physical damage, but with ReSpec, why not? So I sunk a point into Blessed Aim so I can hit Fanaticism at 30 (if I get there). Thinking I should start putting some additional points into Resist Cold, as I plan to switch to that at 18 or 19.

Oh man, I thought you were just humouring [sic] him on Twitter about Last Epoch. If he dragged *you* out of retirement I'm gonna have to jump in this tourney soonish.

Alright, I managed to beat NM Diablo and reach Eldritch. I ran NM Mephisto for a little bit. He was annoying, since he can't be leeched, but he dropped well. Also did some more LK running, mostly to get money for gambling.

Once I gambled some boots and gloves with resists, I did the Chaos Sanctuary. It was really slow and a bit dangerous. Had to kite Infector of Souls all over the place. But progress was steady. I was worried how Diablo was going to be, but he was actually really easy. He was leech-able, his damage wasn't too bad, and I could whirl him, which made his spells less effective. Amplisa died twice to him, but her Inner Sight was very helpful in the fight.

Act5 is slow so far. I imagine there will be much monster skipping, unless I manage to get a good weapon upgrade.

Here's some highlights:
+3 to barb skills, and it's totally not a spear -_-
View attachment 9505

The sun is getting real low, big guy.
View attachment 9506

Absolutely not. Looks like a fork. The rules state that I may use a fork only if it's a godly rare that hits the maximum ww speed(socket quest allowed). I personally haven't used anything but brandistocks and pikes since I was able. Although I don't begrudge people a good spear. Someone posted a picture of a paladin with a spear, and it was looking excellent.

fun challenge! unfortunately my current lance project started twinked, so he's banned.
any restrictions on patch version? what about werewolf form, since the spear wouldn't show?

Pokey has maybe the best Countess run map I've ever seen, with the waypoint right next to the tower, and very quick maps and a good mix of boss packs, so Pokey ran her five or six or eight times, leveling up to 17 in the process.

No finds of note, though I did gamble some 18% MF boots... into the stash they go, as the current (gambled) boots have 10% FHR, which, with the 10 on his helmet and 12 in a charm, gets Pokey to the 8 frame hit recovery. Ugh.

Pokey and Meagan, Normal Inner Cloister. Up next, the Smith, I guess, maybe push through to Andariel.

No restrictions on patch version or wereform. In older versions there's no players8 command, but it's okay. Since earlier patches are hard enough, players8/5/3 won't be mandatory there.

UPDATE:

View attachment 9526

I made it through the Crystalline passage and Frozen River and rescued Anya. Still going on players8. Crystalline passage was really difficult, the monsters spawns were annoying. I was getting cold rogues, ghosts, ice mages. Re-rolled area, got cold rogues, ice mages, minotaurs. Re-rolled area, got cold rogues, ice mages and Yetis. Decided to go with that.

Frozen River was actually quite easy. I had ice mages, succubi and frozen crystal things. The first 2 seemed to have pretty low HP, and the frozen crytals were slow and didn't hit too hard. Had to take my time with Frozenstein because of the mana burn.

After all this, decided to do some shopping. In the first 4 minutes, Larzuk had a weapon upgrade for me. The subsequent 3 hours of shopping didn't net me anything better. Also looked in my extended stash for this character and combined my rare items with my sets to produce my current equipment set.

(3 sigons pieces, Lore barb helm, rare amulet with +1 skills, Nagelring, Ravenfrost)
Gloves and weapon shown below:
View attachment 9524
View attachment 9525

Last edited:
I don't like Pindle, him and his guys charge at me. I did a few Meph runs and found some decent items(skin of the flayed one, most notably), but it doesn't seem like he'll have the upgrades I want. I really want to start running Hell Countess as soon as I can, but I have no idea how hell will feel and what players setting I will use.

Those gloves are gambled, ofc. I also have some pretty nice rare boots, and I may have found those. Don't remember. 3% mana leech is a bit low, however. My old lance had 6 or 7%. I considered socketing this new lance with Larzuk, but decided against it.

Right now I estimate that the first area of hell should be doable. Can all runes drop from monsters in hell act1? I sure hope so!

@Pijus did you consider crafting? i mean i have been crafting some blood gloves (so far no avail) but they can become sexy... (same goes for spear type weapons) the gloves you are wearing are :eek:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High