The Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Questions Thread

@Vantek
True. Direct synergies (Ice Blast synergies for Blizzard) are only affected by hard points (spent) in the skill.
I do recall something about other synergies not acting the same way, but can't remember what for. These are minorities, so it really doesn't matter. [That's if I remember correctly, anyway.]

The major ones you'd be referring to are only affected by hard points.

@DaveW
DaveW said:
If I am under the Amp curse, do Viper Magi projectiles (from the tail snap) cause 2x the damage? And what type of damage do the Vile Witches/Hell Wictches red orbs do? Is it physical? They are causing my WSK runner problems when I come across them.
Arreat Summit: "Tomb Vipers have a chance to deal Poison damage and fire a Poison projectile. [Nihl's tomb]
Claw Vipers, Pit Vipers, and Serpent Magi have a chance to deal Poison damage and fire a Magic projectile (similar to Bone Spear). [WSK, Glacial trail etc - Magic damage is not Physical damage, so I'm pretty sure it's not doubled.]
Salamanders have a chance to deal Fire damage and launch a Fire projectile." [Infernal Pits and underground-firey places in Act 5]

Arreat Summit: "Stygian Fury have a ranged magic attack unlike regular Succubus monsters which use a melee attack."

Question: It is possible on occasion to telekenesis through the portal in Meph's lair. It saves a few seconds in Meph runs, but I can't replicate it too often. Does anyone know what is required to telekenesis through it (I think it's a special technique or something?)

While I think the idea of this thread is good, the practicality of it is not that great. No matter what, many people won't read the rules, won't read the stickies, won't read other threads, and won't try searching. There are clearly exceptions, but still threads have already (since this thread was made) and will continue popping up that could be thrown in here. It will reduce some extra threads, but IMO, it will mainly be used for the questions we have wondered, but isn't worth thinking about too much or making a thread for. Most newcomers probably won't look/post here, but I hope I'm proven wrong here.
I wouldn't've asked my question apart from this thread coming up and I haven't come up with an answer. Had this thread not been here, I wouldn't've made one for it.

Last edited:

Drystan - You cant fight it man. Welcome to internet message boards, right? People dont like to search for an answer. They just wanna create an account and ask their question most times.

I could see maybe making a major questions thread like this a sticky to try and clean things up. Maybe a sticky with the title ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE or something, but who knows.

It will reduce some extra threads, but IMO, it will mainly be used for the questions we have wondered, but isn't worth thinking about too much or making a thread for.
Haha, but isn't that alone easily worth it?

@Kitriara - I agree with you. Most people don't search. Just post as soon as they can. The long-termers here do search and read stickies first, but that's about the extent.
That's why the idea of the thread is good, but its practicality (in practice,) it is questionable.
Also, many people don't read the stickies or rules. It's a sad fact, because if everyone did, most of the questions that get brought up time and time again would be answered.

@Vantek - Hehe. :grin: Read my question. Is that really worth asking? I'm only asking it because it's been on my mind and I'm in the thread at the moment. :grin: Right place, right time kinda thing.
Some might say it's worth asking, but me, I'm half-half with it. It's not important, but just curiousity.

I could see maybe making a major questions thread like this a sticky to try and clean things up. Maybe a sticky with the title ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE or something, but who knows.

If all questions where to be asked in one stickied thread only, what would happen to this forum? :tongue:
I would find it rather boring with the only new threads being mat/pats and tournements :wink3:
(still thinkign this thread is a good idea for short questions that require a simple answear ratehr than a discussion)

If all questions where to be asked in one stickied thread only, what would happen to this forum? :tongue:

I'd worry about that happening, as well. I personally love when simple questions give people a chance to talk shop. I find that's when the best tips and random bits of good advice tend to get generated. If all of that advice is in one thread, less people are going to see it, less people are going to contribute to it, and less information gets shared.

@ Drystan, thx for the info. BTW I asked my questions because I have started running the WSK with my Meteorb. She was having BIG trouble with gloams, even with maxed LR. I didn't have a TGods so I added Blackhorns Face to my set up. Works great! But now the witches and Magus snakes are proving troublesome. BTW I know now why people prefer TGods for the lightning absorb. They dont want to take off their PTopaz Shako. :wink:

I do recall something about other synergies not acting the same way, but can't remember what for. These are minorities, so it really doesn't matter. [That's if I remember correctly, anyway.]

Those would be the druid summon synergies. Each point in one of the summon animal skills gives a boost to other animals, regardless of whether its hard points or +skill gear. This is easily confirmed if you check a Grizzly's HP before and after putting on some +skills gear. Points into Grizzly itself does not boost HP, but points into Dire Wolf does, so that proves that +skills will work on those synergies as the Grizzly gains HP from the extra Dire Wolf points.

I think these skills worked like that before actual synergies as we know them today were introduced, so that would be why they work differently from other synergies.

MukTuk said:
Those would be the druid summon synergies. Each point in one of the summon animal skills gives a boost to other animals, regardless of whether its hard points or +skill gear. This is easily confirmed if you check a Grizzly's HP before and after putting on some +skills gear.

I never thought about that, now you pointed it out, it does seem so easy. Thanks.

Here is my question: how easy/uneasy do you think this build?

I started a pally "long ago", just not played him. He will be my last one to complete my goal of "at least one guardian for each class". But he will not be traditional normal build. I like the idea of Jedi/force so much, that I want to build an unusual zealot, his name is "Vader".

Base kills: 20 Conviction (the force, and ultimate safety aura), 1 Redemption (utility skill), 20 Zeal, 20 Sacrifice, 20 Holy Shield (last to max), all pre-req.

Last edited:

Question:

Code:
Soul Casque
Coronet
Defense: 40
Durability: 18 of 30
Required Level: 72
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0xa8ffca11
+9 to Dexterity
+6 to Minimum Damage
+2 to Summoning Skills (Necromancer Only)
Level 1 Bone Spirit (14/22 Charges)
+0 to Mana (Based on Character Level)
1% Bonus to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)

What is causing the rlvl = 72?

Edit: And to add on, what other things cause the rlvl from a Circlet/Coronet/Diadem to be 72?

Last edited:

DaveW said:
@ Drystan, thx for the info. BTW I asked my questions because I have started running the WSK with my Meteorb. She was having BIG trouble with gloams, even with maxed LR. I didn't have a TGods so I added Blackhorns Face to my set up. Works great! But now the witches and Magus snakes are proving troublesome. BTW I know now why people prefer TGods for the lightning absorb. They dont want to take off their PTopaz Shako.
Hehehe. If it's not the gloams, it's a collection of others. Can never get away from it! The best advice for the witches, is that their attacks are fairly slow. As a sorc, you should be able to avoid them fairly easily.
For me, in Anya's Tomb, two of the monster spawns were variants of Succubi, and all of them shot the red orbs! It was fun dodging them, but I tried to get a picture of the mass of orbs. I can't find it, so I guess it was too dangerous to take my hand off the Juvies. =)
As to the snakes projectiles, you can generally predict where they're being fired before hand, and can avoid them as well. My sorc almost never gets hit by them.

@MukTuk - Thanks for confirmation!

@DeathMaster - oO' Zeal without fanatiscism? Are you going more for physical damage, or elemental?
How easy, uneasy? i'm not sure. What gear (if twinked) are you going with? I think he'll be just like a standard Zealer, but with slower progress. You've still got the elements for survival.
Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think 20 HS is required due to diminishing returns. Again, if you're twinked, you'll have a lot more +skills, so that depends.

Question:
What is causing the rlvl = 72?

My guess would be the bone spirit charges. Its a pretty high affix level for a circlet.

My question: Does 'Slows Target by xx%' work on the Ancients? Arreat doesn't list all these little important things about monsters.

Hmm, while I'm asking that, how long does the slow target effect last as well?

Drystan said:
@DeathMaster - oO' Zeal without fanatiscism? Are you going more for physical damage, or elemental?
How easy, uneasy? i'm not sure. What gear (if twinked) are you going with? I think he'll be just like a standard Zealer, but with slower progress. You've still got the elements for survival.
Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think 20 HS is required due to diminishing returns. Again, if you're twinked, you'll have a lot more +skills, so that depends.

Sure, zeal without fanat, I don't think I ever "need" that aura for damage. Vader is a Jedi, he doesn't relay on physical damage. He will use elemental attacks, and a little physical damage doesn't hurt. The idea was to zeal with conviction which takes care of 3 things:

1. never ever worry about conviction aura from anyone else.
2. it is fast attack, I think faster than standard "Vengeance" users.
3. never worry about AR
Plus, it is different (style points). Conviction zeal leaves spare skills points, so I thought HS wouldn't hurt. I'm open for suggestion on where else I gonna spend the extra skill points.

I plan to get +5 all skills (reach the last conviction level), and boost life/resistant/damages with the rest of gears (still in planning).

My question: Does 'Slows Target by xx%' work on the Ancients? Arreat doesn't list all these little important things about monsters.

Hmm, while I'm asking that, how long does the slow target effect last as well?

For first part of Your question - yes it does...I tested this not long time ago with my Mav's zon (her merc used Kelpie)...

For second part - i really don't know, thats good question :thumbsup:

I estimate it lasts couple of seconds, but i do not know exact number, sorry :embarassed:

not sure about this.. will fade from treachery triggers when you sacrifice (pally skill) yourself? it'd be pretty useful if it does.. =P

I estimate it lasts couple of seconds, but i do not know exact number, sorry :embarassed:

Too late for update, but hopefully after some searching through the net i found answer:

Slow target lasts 30seconds or until slowed target make succesfull hit....Hopefully this information is not wrong :rolleyes:

RIP said:
Slow target lasts 30seconds or until slowed target make succesfull hit....Hopefully this information is not wrong :rolleyes:

Speak from experiencing, I highly doubt the 30sec timing. But I guess it is not too hard to test if we have a team of two specified players. One bow zon, loaded up with slow, one necromancer casting high level DV. DV first and one shot by the zon.

Hmm? Why don't you trust the 30sec timer? It could easily be true from my experience (<3 <3 Kelpie :rolleyes:)

Whats good mercenary equipment for a Hammerdin? Also, whats the best way to hit the 125 breakpoint for fcr? Right now I'm at 130 with HotO, Skin of the Vipermagi, 10 fcr ammy, 10 fcr ring, arachnids mesh, and magefists. Any better ways of achieving 125?

Equipment for a hammerdin's merc is the standard gear for everything else (if you go with Act 2.) Mine is a Might act 2, just because I like his damage at almost 10k with Obedience, Might, and Concentration. ^^
Check what other people used in the Mat/Pat/Guard thread, and you'll get the standard setup.
Otherwise, something like Bonehew, HoneSundan, upped Kelpie, Insight, Obedience, Tomby etc. Duriel's Shell, Shaftstop, Treachery etc. Tal's Helm, another one with 10+% Lifeleach.

One thing about FCR I learnt recently, is that magefists aren't worth it. Sell em. Throw on Trang's gloves for 30% CR and 20% FCR. :grin: Could use a wizardspike instead. I've found they don't need too many skills.
RWM? Spirit.

Mine is currently Trang's Gloves 20%
Vipermagi 30%
Wizzy 50%
Spirit 25%
125%

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High