The Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Questions Thread

muzzz said:
Are you sure about this part? From what I've read, it's the other way around.

See FAQToids - kinds and order of damage - modification of suffered damage

Affirmative (in machine voice, T2 style)

It was asked and confirmed before. One important question asked about absorb was "if you load up with a lot of %absorb (capped at 40%) and have straight absorb, can you completely absorb all damages"? The answer was "Not, if your straight absorb cannot completely offset the damage first".

The reason was, "Blizzard doesn't do the thing that benefit player, straight absorb comes first, so if straight absorb cannot offset the damage, the what ever left is done by %. You cannot get 100%."

Now think about it, since when blizzard done anything that benefit player by design? All the player benefit "features" are bugs that blizzard wasn't intended. The absolute max resistant by player is 95%, monsters can go as high as they want. The max %PDR is 50%, monster can go unbreakable PI. Max block chance for player is 75%/25%, look at the chance to block for Diablo and Baal (it does not get reduced when runs).

I've got a ranger pally in a tourney, and I'm thinking about burning one of my socket quests on my weapon. since it's untwinked, I don't have a Jah or Gul to use. so my choices are Eth (-25% to enemy defense) or Perfect Amethyst (+150 AR).

which would be more effective in giving me a better chance to land my hits?

@raded:

To answer such question you have to expose a lot more information: what is your level, what is your current AR, what is the level of monster you are attacking and it's defense. Without those information it's impossible to answer the question correctly.

Here is the chance to hit formula, play with it in a table calculator to answer your question or post the information here and someone will try to answer it for you :wink3:

But I have a feeling that the -25%def will be a better choice in most cases, unless your AR is low and the monsters defense is low(i.e. you are at the beginning of the game)

Ok got a moron question...
Have a bit off a dilemma though. My moron....he currently uses an Insight weapon (which is really nice for me) but I am thinking of switching to something with a bit more damage. I have a Bonehew that is socketed with 2 Amns (which of course will take forever for him to be able to use...stupid 195 str requirement) and a Kelpie (don't know how good is the roll yet since I am not looking at it right now)....Does the Kelpie's slow stack with decrep? Was originally thinking of using the bonehew for everything but bosses and using the kelpie on the bosses....

The reason was, "Blizzard doesn't do the thing that benefit player, straight absorb comes first, so if straight absorb cannot offset the damage, the what ever left is done by %. You cannot get 100%."

Now think about it, since when blizzard done anything that benefit player by design? All the player benefit "features" are bugs that blizzard wasn't intended. The absolute max resistant by player is 95%, monsters can go as high as they want. The max %PDR is 50%, monster can go unbreakable PI. Max block chance for player is 75%/25%, look at the chance to block for Diablo and Baal (it does not get reduced when runs).

I agree with the bad choices in the way game features interact, but I must nitpick and say there is ONE thing they did right: MF on players and their mercs. It's just the way it should be. :thumbsup:

But I could have done that ranting myself. And dont get me started with how this game is now about HFrushing and opening chests without killing anything.

To answer such question you have to expose a lot more information: what is your level, what is your current AR, what is the level of monster you are attacking and it's defense. Without those information it's impossible to answer the question correctly.

It's a little easier, actually. With the Eth, you'll only need 3/4 of the AR you'd normally need to reach the same chance to hit. Or, with the same AR, you'd reach the same chance to hit against monsters with 33% more def.

In other words, if your AR is 450+, go for the Eth.

Qouple of questions:

Uniques won't drop twice in the same game. Does this mean in the session or with the same character? What if the character is wearing a Shako can he get Shako from a drop?

Where can I find the information on what are the item level caps for vendors in the various acts? I tried to find this info both here and the Arreat Summit but couldn't find it.

Topi

P.S. The last question is more just for the information on where can I start to expect teleport charge staffs to appear on sale? Not on gamble.

Last edited:

I found a skin of vipermagi while waring one, so I think that counts for all uniques. plz confirm some1

no idea on the vendors list

and it means per session. just wait until you find tonns and tonns of crappy uniques across the games. :)

@linkto1
as to your 1st 2 questions;

1. it's session.

2. yes, unless he had found one before in the same session.

The item level caps are: 12 in Act 1, 20 in Act 2, 28 in Act 3, 36 in Act 4 and 45 in Act 5. Teleport charged staffs should be available in Act 3.

Oh boy, a therad where I can ask dumb questions when I`m to lazy to search forums :prop:

I wanna make an insight in a etheral weapon wich I have few, but they all don`t have any sockets. How much sockets will Lazruk give them according to the ilevel? I think maximum nuber, wich is 5 (or is it 6 :scratch: ).
So my best chances to get 4os are with cube, are they?

Buraz you bad person that's in my bookmarks under reference material. Link in the sig.

:wave: erics. Long time no see. Tal-ly ho!

I'm planning on converting at least one of my old character to pit running (something I've never done). Right now I'm planning on using either my Strafer/LF zon or a Frenzy barb. Gear would be something like:

Strafer:
Windforce (Shael)
Treachery
Razortail
harly
chance guards
war travs
nagels

Frenzy:
Schaeffer's/the other legendary mallet
Treachery
drac's
harly (bah!)
nagels
war travs
goldwrap

What I'm most interested in is the potential of Find Item. Since I'll only have a low level (maybe only 1 hard point) in the skill and each +skill ups the chance to drop by 2%, would I be better off in terms of finding uniques in the long term by using dual Heart Carvers for the big +to find item or something like dual Gull daggers/Ali Babba's to find more uniques when they do drop?

It's also nice that with the big %ctc Static on the hammer I could easily run at higher /players settings (maybe 3-5 instead of /p1 with the zon) and get better drops from the normal monsters for runes and the like. Which one would be better for the pits, and what's the consensus on MF/Heart Carvers on switch?

Which one would be better for the pits, and what's the consensus on MF/Heart Carvers on switch?

I am not sure on the zon vs barb aspect. Actually I am not sure of anything.
I just replied to say I use 1 Heart Carver and 1 Alibaba.
Both MF and Item find have diminishing returns, so mid "levels" of both is better than one high and one low.

Also, whats your Frenzy fpa with this setup? It looks slow.

55% IAS from Treachery and Goldwrap, and perhaps a Sheal in the Schaeffers? 6 fpa. 1 frame from maximum Frenzy attack speed.

I am not sure on the zon vs barb aspect. Actually I am not sure of anything.
I just replied to say I use 1 Heart Carver and 1 Alibaba.
Both MF and Item find have diminishing returns, so mid "levels" of both is better than one high and one low.

I can't recall offhand what the FPA is, but the 45 IAS on the Treachery is about what I used before (I think I had 20 Highlord's/20 gloves when questing) so it should be alright. Nothing based around legendary mallets will be SUPER fast, but it should be alright enough. I could also pair it with a faster but weaker right hand weapon, but I don't have a great option in the mace class since I lack a Stormlash. Baranar's Star maybe? I could even potentially go with something like a CM phase for sick speed but almost no damage...

Also, the Find Item diminishing returns don't really kick in until level 11. With only +1 skills from Battle Cry (I doubt I'll have any somewhere else) I'd be okay. I suppose I could also try to socket my Echoing swords, since I have a ton of both swords and socket quests - if I can get 4 sockets and stuff some MF jewels in, I could still get up to about a ~40% (I think) boost to MF AND keep +6 to not only Find Item but also BO/Shout/BC/etc. That might be the way to go if I can trade for cheap plain MF jewels.

@JIhadJesus:
I would swap out your chancies for Laying of Hands on the Strafer. The really hurty archers in the pits are LIs, so they are the only groups you will probably use strafe against (and stragglers after LF). And they happen to be demons (as well as the carver types), so LoH helps a ton. You really need to put those archers down in a hurry, and LoH is the way to do it.

I also would swap out your armor, you shouldn't get hit enough to rely on fade to activate on a short pit run, so when you really need the resists, you won't have them. Consider Tal's armor (IAS jewel, or Ptopaz) if you have it. And if you already swapped out chancies for LoH, you won't be losing all that much IAS.

T-Gods is also a nice belt, if u end up using LF the most (I did) consider switching to it.

Otherwise, your setup looks good, but you might want to check the strafe breakpoints. But since you will (probably) only use the bow for the LIs having a somewhat slow strafe isn't a huge problem. You should be able to run the pits at P8 fairly easily (LF pwns), but it doesn't really result in many more drops, better sticking to p1 and hitting the boss packs unless you want more experience.

Buraz you bad person that's in my bookmarks under reference material. Link in the sig.

Never examined your sig. Very nice matherial there :azn:. Will do from now on, and tried not to ask to dumb questions :hide:

thanx for the link erics :smiley:

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High