The PvP Thread

We will all charge together, like a team! :D

Then again what is vanilla paladin without Enigma supposed to do? We talked about paladins who use Enigma and have Grief weapon, that is the kind of paladin you never see and then you just get killed by something invisible since his charge is in 2k damage range. But, that is simply paladin's nature. They charge in tournaments exactly for the reason to become invisible to the opponent, it is part of a strategy paladin can use.

Why without Enigma for Vanilla? For Vanilla Smiter I think you can just stack on OW. Malice Phase Blade, Fury or something. Lacerator maybe. Heaven's Light has Damage+, but only one socket and no IAS.

@frozzzen (or anyone else) - How much FHR on a wolf? Is 20 enough? And what FRW to aim for?

Yeah, Grief is just so dominant for melee I'm not sure about how vanilla options compare. Btw @Miron I can still give you my BotD BA if you're interested. It has some sentimental value because my 99er Paladin dinged 99 with it :) but I don't plan on using it again any time soon, happy to just make it a long-term loan without interest!

With @maxicek going for a wolf too, we should go for melee session at some point. ;) Curious how he turns out, loved @Delsy's druid (until he came too close).

--

I played around with T/V a bit, attempting to get used to all those hotkeys and to get down those namelock sequences described above. In the end, the shift-Smite stomping itself isn't actually that hard. Starting with FoH (cancelling the delay with Smite) makes it relatively easy to practice, and probably that's the typical sequence anyway.

Looking forward to trying the revised build, but I still don't expect much tbh. Not entirely happy with the life pool, currently around 4.3k with Oak (some 3.3k without). It's a bit tight for melee especially without Oak, and doesn't exactly foster a "confident" Smite-stomping attitude. ;) Which is a shame because I like the Smite part and what it involves, but it is how it is. Probably the most "effective" way for me to play is indeed mostly charge and FoH, but that doesn't sound like much fun for anyone...

It really doesn't help that PComb is -- by far -- my worst skiller collection. Zero lifers and only few with useful secondary mods like FHR or str/dex. In light of that I'm even considering going without any skillers at all, instead at least increasing life pool a tiny bit. Each skiller corresponds to roughly ~50 FoH damage in PvP (against non-stacked 75 LR), which isn't a huge deal after all.

Wolfy is great :D

And how about this. Fury druid with secondary focus on Grizzly for damage output? Grizzly does solid damage and druid could namelock summon it on opponents for additional damage. It would be exchange between HoW and Oak. With HoW, bear could do around 700 damage on 50% DR.

As alternative, I'm looking at Rabies. Not Rabies boosted with Web on switch, but Rabies that does like 1k PvP damage or some more. It is an addition to Fury making Wolf more of a threat while not killing FFA for everything he touches.

Last edited:
Any suggestions for Druid levelling? Mine is 92, I want to get him to 95.

@maxicek
One option is to go fissure and into AT. Other, simpler, is to go with Windy and clear first 4 waves at Baal (or Lister too, although he is slow and very tanky)

Reactions: maxicek
I also like P8 Pindle with Fissure until 92-93 or so. I leveled most of my D2R HC chars to 93 on Pindle including a Druid. After 93 Pindle becomes super slow though.

IIRC at some point the consensus was that P8 Ventar runs are best for Druid (Windy), but also depends on gear and how long exactly it takes to kill Lister & Co. Of course can always go lower player settings and kill him in any case (or Baal too) when hoping for some extra loot while leveling.

Reactions: maxicek
probably Grip said it...

...but he also said:
Nobody plays blizz sorc
Nobody plays poison necro
LK best for Ber/Sur

:p

• Haha
Reactions: Gripphon and ffs
Frozzzzzzzzzzen's and really everyone's favorite char in some action. I really don't know how can you guys like this char, so tasteless...

I've been trying to implement more of a walking to her playing style leading to a more interesting action. It's not without downsides, she gets killed more often. But, such is life of a sorc. Poor little thing. I'm gonna use more FRW on her and try to see what are the limits of her dancing with a danger playing style. Luckily, I like her too, so you will see more of her in an action!

Reactions: ffs
Seeing Sorc simply walking out of MB/LS without WSG or anything is painful :D I really need to respec the Trapper and get 1pt WoF and properly use it, kinda forgot about that last time I changed her build.

@maxicek 120 frw is a good threshold for non-teleporting characters. Just to be able to dodge projectiles, outrun spirits etc. For melee characters I'd go even higher, like 160. My shaper has 191 for reference.

Life of a trapper can be hard. Only hammers live forever!

Anyway, checking my chars, what should be done and changed and how I feel about some I tested lately

V/T paladin - to be built
- gonna try Conviction route, although who knows will I find him fun to play or will it be the same as other melee paladins - mostly charge/smite to kill. Not really feeling like playing other paladins anymore.

Partial ES Blizzy
- surprisingly fun to play, Blizzard is a strategic skill and no other sorc can do what she can. Exploring of the build has just begun, now to perfect various playing styles.

Partial ES fireball or vita fireball
- she isn't really what I'm looking for in PvP, she can't implement same tactics as blizzard sorc and her damage would be weak in ES form. In vitality form she is a wrecking machine, but hard to play offensively. Maybe if I use more FRW to try some walking tactics and use Hydra for... something. I feel like she has multiple skills and are except Fireball are mostly useless or very hard to hit something.

Windy
- I'll try vitality route with higher FHR breakpoint. Although I have to admit he seems overly one dimensional to me, half of gameplay is recasting, other half is stomping. Not much in between to do. Stomp - recast - stomp - recast. Repeat. I don't find him fun to play overall.

Fury/Rabies druid
- I usually dislike builds without Enigma since they can only wait to be attacked, but at least I could try how he works. It will be Rabies without Web switch, so mostly to infect creeps and random hits for extra damage, otherwise mostly Fury based build, except he should be stronger than a Fury druid.

BvC
- I need some resistance gear for swapping, including Limb for buffing AR from inventory. Other than that, he is finished. Very fun to play, but if connection is even slightly out of perfect, it is immediately felt. 20 ping up and he is almost at half of playing strength. Incredible how dependent on connection he is. A huge downside.

Bone necro
- can't do anything else with a necro except poison variant. Maybe if I can do 125 fcr hybrid, but he won't work well enough to be played. So, it is mostly bone necro for me and I could play him here and there also testing some dangerous stuff like with sorc. Now I'm gonna use more FRW on him in 100+ range to see how he works more as a walker.

Javazon
- not easy to kill, easily overpowered, but very fun to play.

Tri-hybrid javazon
- super fun, played her only once and I can already tell she is a jackpot.

Bowazon
- only for random 1v1, for FFA I don't really feel her playing style to my liking.

Fire kicker
- fun to play and I'll use her from time to time. She is likely the best form of a fire trapper, only slightly weaker in trap damage

Hybrid trapper
- I just have to respec pure fire trapper into fire-lightning trapper. I assume she will be powerful and fun to play since WoF I find important to use even as 1 pointer, and her WoF will actually do damage

WW/trap hybrid
- i have to test her out some more, fun to play but hard to build efficiently. It always feels like something is missing. Either OW is too low, or AR is too low, or trap damage is too low

Ghost
- didn't play her for a long time since other characters seem more fun to me. If I want whirlwind, then barb and hybrid have advantage. But eventually she will appear. She's not Youmu though :p

Other characters
- Zealsorc is simply too weak, and buffing ES is rather annoying to do just to die a minute later. Summoner druid is too weak, can't kill anything properly. Fire druid I wanted to build, but I can't seem to see what can he possibly do other than steal kills mostly or hope Armageddon kills something. Bowpaladin was fun to try but too weak to be played properly. Arrows are mostly just for lulz. Hammer based paladins can ignore half of characters since they aren't really a threat, don't wanna play like that.

Reactions: ffs and Miron
Probably that scepter, nulio has something like that
It's one of my favourite items. I had several failed ones but I was happy that this one got the 4os. All the facets have the same color :geek::

Code:
Rose Branded War Scepter of the Apprentice 
War Scepter 
One Hand Damage: 10 - 17 
Durability: 70 of 70 
Required Level: 49 
Required Strength: 55 
Fingerprint: 0x474e4eb5 
Item Level: 99 
Version: Expansion 
200% Chance to cast level 82 Sacrifice when you Level-Up 
200% Chance to cast level 94 Zeal when you Die 
+3 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only) 
+10% Faster Cast Rate 
+150% Damage to Undead 
Adds 4 - 296 Lightning Damage 
-20% to Enemy Lightning Resistance 
+20% to Lightning Skill Damage 
+3 to Conviction (Paladin Only) 
+3 to Fist of the Heavens (Paladin Only) 4 Sockets (4 used) 
Socketed: Rainbow Facet 

And of course, after all the gazillion hours hunting this guy and I find out that in 1.00 I could get 20fcr. But there was another part of it that I couldn't get in 1.00. Anyway I can't complain, I like this shiny stick!

I did have some fun with the Mage using this when I joined two weeks ago. I ended up just charging around when using FoH and Conviction, and making a bunch of mistakes with the skills swapping. I didn't try to telestomp when using hammer, baby steps!

Some years ago I was planning at least two more paladins, but I forgot too much about PvP.
I did find some numbers for my 2nd one, which was mostly for silliness, I'll try to actually finish him.

Reactions: maxicek and ffs
Long term goal would be:

Assassin:
Ghost
LS trapper

Amazon:
Bowa
Something with javelin skill line

Barb:
BvC

Druid:
Windy
Fury/Rabies

Necro:
Bone

Paladin:
Hammer
FoH/Smite

Sorc:
Nope

However I'm not in rush and would rather like to learn one character at the time. I'm sticking to Ghost for a while until I'm mostly happy with my gameplay which might take a while.

EDIT: I'm also not moving to another character until I make char thread. There might be some exceptions but in general it's true.

Reactions: maxicek and ffs
@Gripphon it's really interesting to see the difference in personal taste. Blizz Sorc to me was the most boring PvP character I played so far. :D and while Fire Sorc uses basically 2 skills only and lacks depth on many levels, I still had fun with her gameplay. Haven’t played mine in a while, since I'm kinda on the same page with what @frozzzen said at some point: Bone Necro is simply an improved FB Sorc in most ways. ES/FB Sorc really only has her tankiness going for her in comparison (with max or near max ES).

Ofc it's possible to max only Telekinesis and still use high ES level depending on prebuff, along with highest FB damage. It can get up to +40-50% higher FB damage assuming no loss in +skills (not easy though). But e.g. with 80-85% ES, the damage to life pool will be a whopping 200-300% in comparison if unmitigated. It's an awkward situation to gear for because resists/DR become more important with partial ES, however if you go for 75@ and high % DR, chances are you have to cut back on +skills (and lose a chunk of the extra FB damage from going max fire skills).

I didn't like setups like that, on paper at least. From what I’ve seen people doing in bnet PvP, ES is vastly more popular than vita, although Anni/Torch are helpful in getting ES to high levels with next to no hard point investment. Admittedly when time travelling there are OP things for vita FB like 1.07 Ark, Shako, beta CtA... But then again those are equally suited to just make ES Sorc even sturdier with higher life on top of all the ES benefits.

Reactions: Miron
I have more PvP characters than I know what to do with, mainly because I started PvP in 1.11, before respecs.
- Finally got enigma? Make a new character.
- Messed up the build? Make a new character.

Then 1.13 came along and I could respec them. That really was when the build experimenting began, before you just followed the advice and that was it.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High