The Build Your Own Tournament!

@PhineasB - Looks like you've scored some nice resistance gear so far! Good luck finding those needed runes with the Countess in NM, or a least some to cube up for them.

This week has been insanely busy, and I have 3 or 4 dates this weekend, so I may not make much progress, but we're still trucking! About to go into Travincal :)

@Dazliare - Ah to be young again! Good luck juggling all those lovely ladies Daz. Three was usually my max before I started getting stories crossed and the whole thing backfiring on me, but hey nowadays you have a smart phone, so take good notes on what they tell you.

Last edited:
Good luck with dating, Daz!! May your luck be gold and green... (or is that not applicable to RL??)

@PhineasB - GL finding those runes. They should be pretty doable, and an upgraded very fast soulflay should be really good. For NM, at least, and if you do go holy freeze than it would last well into hell also.

Holy Shock as a back up should work, since we don't need any points in holy shield. And Holy Freeze is a nice aura (my favorite, actually). It's probably a better plan than mine. I'll run into some issues on lightning immunes if I keep pushing Sacrifice as a synergy.

You sort of miss out on fully using the sword's mana/life leach to it's best if you abandon physical damage, but it's definitely a workable plan, and probably safer.

Character: Navatara
Lv: 66 (Holy Shock Paladin)
Zone: The Frigid Highlands (NM)
TOURNAMENT: THE SWORD OF DESTINY

The legends are many. A single warrior. A single blade. Together, no host of evil can stand against them. They are linked through prophecy and legend. Aragorn and Anduril. Rand al'Thor and Callandor. King Arthur and Excalibur.

This tournament plays off the classic stories of the hero and his trusty sword. You find or make a legendary sword, and then are linked to that blade for the rest of your career.

THE RULES:

1) The Sword of Destiny: The first unique or set two-handed sword that drops is your character's "Sword of Destiny," the weapon that has been linked to him/ her through prophecy. Once that weapon drops, it is the only weapon that is permitted to be used, with one exception (see #2). If you do not meet the requirements, it remains your Sword of Destiny no matter what other drops occur. At level up, all future skill points must be devoted to becoming qualified to use that sword. You may socket your sword of destiny, upgrade it, enhance it in any way you wish, but it must be the only weapon you use. There is only one way to change your weapon after the first unique or set two-handed sword has dropped . . . see #2.

2) The Runesword: No warrior is more intimately linked to his sword than the warrior who has crafted his or her own sword. Once, and once only per character, you may use runes to create a runeword out of a two-handed sword. Once that is done, the character can never use any other weapon, with no exceptions. It replaces or supercedes any set or unique sword you have found or drops in the future. A character who creates a runesword has essentially made his final weapon choice. This is, however, a way to upgrade your weapon if your Sword of Destiny turns out to be less than endgame powerful. If you make a "Steel" runesword with Tir and El in Act I normal, however, that is your sword until your character dies or wins the tournament.

3) Two-handed swords are the only weapons permitted for use in this tournament. Your character has devoted his life to swordcraft. Barbs must use two-handed swords two-handed and cannot dual wield. You can use any rare or mundane sword that drops during gameplay until you find your Sword of Destiny, but you cannot purchase anything but a white or grey sword. No blues ever, at any time. You can also use the imbue quest for a two-handed sword if you choose, though that can be used for other gear as well.

4) If your Sword of Destiny drops as ethereal, you must use that sword until its durability expires. Then, once it is useless, the gods will grant you another Sword of Destiny (i.e., you must go back to using whites, greys or rares until the next unique or set two-handed sword drops. No sword that drops while you are using the Ethereal blade is permitted for use.

5) Untwinked, hardcore, or softcore until first death. Players may choose their players setting and change it at will. Enter as many times as you wish.

6) Re-running of areas is permitted. The hero will search every corner of the world to find the blade of prophecy, but consider: re-running low-level areas is a good way to ensure your Sword of Destiny will be low-level as well.

7) Classes: Any, though some characters have clear disadvantages. (More info below).

8) Other gear: All other gear (including jewelry) must be mundane (white or grey), rare, or crafted. No blues allowed anywhere on your character, and no set or uniques except the Sword of Destiny.

9) All charms are permitted.

10) Socketing rules: You are a swordsman, not a jeweler. You cannot socket anything in ANY gear except your sword, as you are intimimately familiar with it. Anything you find (gems, runes, jewels, facets) is fair game for socketing in your sword--including any sword you use before your Sword of Destiny drops, but you can't socket any other gear. And remember, only one runeword sword allowed per game as described in rule 2.

11) No gambling. Heroes of Destiny do not find their gear by gambling.

10) Melee kills only. Curses, auras, buffs, etc. are allowed to enhance the damage of the sword, but spells or skills which deal damage without a strike of the sword are not permitted in combat (they can, however, be used as synergies or have a point as a prequisite.) Damage return skills are OK, such as Thorns, Iron Maiden, and Spirit of Barbs, as they are essentially melee skills.

12)Summons, Minions, and Mercs: Heroes of Destiny often have companions, but they typically travel in small bands. For this tournament, you can have no more than two damage-dealing members of your party, including mercenaries. For example, a necromancer who summons a golem and a skeleton could not have a mercenary. However, a druid with a grizzly and Act I mercenary could summon his Heart of Wolverine (because it does not deal direct damage to enemies), but not a raven or poison creeper.

13) Merc gear: Mercs can only wear rare, crafted, or white/greys. No socketing of merc gear.

14) No scoring, except that the lowest level Guardian wins. This will encourage players to take risks and not do to much re-running. Tournament ends when there have been no posts for two weeks.

SPECIFIC SKILL INFORMATION:
ASSASSIN:

No traps. No mind blast.

AMAZON:
Passives tree only.

BARBARIAN:
Everything except War Cry. No dual wielding.

DRUID:
Uh . . . not much. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No shapeshifting, as then you're using claws and not a sword. Nothing in the elemental tree except Cyclone Armor.

NECROMANCER:
All curses are permitted in combat except Confusion and Attract. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No poison skills, no bone spear, teeth or bone spirit. No corpse explosion.

PALADIN:
No holy bolt, Fist of Heavens, blessed hammer, smite, or conversion.

SORCERESS:
Only skills available are Enchant, Warmth, Energy Shield, teleport, masteries, and the cold armor branch.

Did you cry reading that? Because I cried typing it. Just a bit. I can't think of a sword much worse for my holy shock build than one whose big feature is +6 holy fire.... and a bonus of 20 mana is... entirely unneeded.

Ok though. Deep breaths. it had 88% Enhanced damage (eighty-eight percent, I have no clue why that got filtered).... the damage is still terrible as a normal Giant Sword, but if I can get the runes to upgrade it to tier two (exceptional? elite? I always confuse those) the damage will be respectable. It had ~100 attack power on it, which isn't special either. But at least it's a stat I needed. ... absolute worst case, I can sync a few more points into holy fire and have a back up for physical/lightning immunes. It's not pretty, but I can make it work.

On the whole, this sword is worse than the rare I had though, had I chosen to upgrade that instead. So I'm pretty disappointed.

I think I might try to farm the countess in hell to make crescent moon as my rune word replacement (if that works in 2-handed swords.... I think it does). That's not /too/ hard to make. And the bonuses work pretty well with holy shock.

Anyways, my plan now is to turn the player setting back down and see if I can get my resist scroll from Anya.

... ... One thing I could do is about face, and run with a holy fire build instead. Lv 26 probably does very decent damage (especially if I can land a +1 skill amulet or something down the line). So much stuff is fire immune in hell though. And so much of the scary damage is lightning based, that I really hate to give up holy shock's passive lightning resist defense. It would be thematic though, and being able to be thematic is a strength of tournaments like this (as opposed to feeling compelled to worry about min-maxing). A dead thematic character isn't much of a thematic character though. Still, I could give up some physical damage from synergy points in sacrifice, and use holy freeze as a back up skill. With 2-elemental + physical damage, I could kill everything.

Does anyone have any thoughts? ... I'm sort of tempted to try this writing it up actually. It seems to be more in the spirit of the tournament than just ignoring my sword. I'd just have to be careful around gloams as always. But without the benefit of shield resists.

. . . . . .
I ran the frozen river/Anya for my resist scroll, and then the countess to get some more runes. I was able to upgrade Knemil's Awl to a Tusk Sword. Not a huge difference, but it's something. I used Larzuk to socket it and threw a Shael in for some IAS. While I was doing that I got to lv 66, and had two interesting finds.

The first was a small charm with resist poison. That (for one brief moment) threw me out of the negative poison resists. My second charm was a rare circlet with +2 offensive pld auras and 20 cold resist though. Very cool. I put that on to replace my old circlet with +14 resist all and +8 max damage.

The +2 offensive auras gives me a lot of extra max damage. My fire/light/cold/ resists are capped for NM with the new circlet. My poison resists, unfortunately, have been thrown back into the negatives.

With this circlet and Kinemil though, I could potentially get an easy lv 28 Holy Fire aura. That's nothing to sneeze at. Unless the mob is fire immune....

I crafted a safety sharktooth armor and got a pretty bad roll. I gave it to my mercenary. It was just a tiny bit better than his rare.

My next craft is probably going to be a blood ring for me. My lightning/fire resist ring is doing nothing for me (in NM, at least, I'm sure it would be useful again in hell).

I tried the ancients. It didn't go well, and I had to make a quick escape. One of them had curse, and another was extra strong. I could probably take either/or, but that's not a happy combination. I'll try them again later.

Last edited:
My Friday night date rescheduled, so I used the time to work on Cienele! We're doing quite well, and should be into Act V tonight. Some screenshots :)

View attachment 3149
Mephisto's drop was unfortunately useless. The gauntlets were awful

I decided to use my first imbue on a Reflex Bow. The result isn't amazing, but I'm using it because it buffs immolation arrow damage pretty well, and the cold and poison flat damage mods are really great utility mods. Valkyrie can cast amplify damage as well, so life is good

Valkyrie is the best. A Valkyrie that casts amp damage is the best of the best!

Congrats on clearing A4.

... unrelated to this thread, but four different dates in a weekend? Dang man. Don't get yourself (or anyone else) in trouble.

Last edited:
Valkyrie is the best. A Valkyrie that casts amp damage is the best of the best!

Congrats on clearing A4.

... unrelated to this thread, but four different dates in a weekend? Dang man. Don't get yourself (or anyone else) in trouble.

I do pretty well haha.

Unrelated, but *DAMN*. I didn't even know normal Diablo could drop this.

View attachment 3153

#Jelly.

Nice find! (Although maybe not for an Amazon....) I don't know if it's still true, but I heard Diablo was the best guy to farm for a SoJ too (in 1.11, at least... dunno what's changed).

Last edited:
Nice amulet there, Daz!!
S/U rules
  • Your character must be Untwinked (no twinking of items, you must start with nothing).
  • Only S/U's (Set and Unique Items) may be equipped! White or grey items may be used until a S/U item is found for each slot (means no rings or amulets until a S/U item drops). After an appropriate S/U item has been found, you must use that item for that slot or go empty. If you are unable to equip it (ex. you don't have enough dex), then you must do your best to equip it (i.e reach the requirements as fast as possible). Once you find multiple appropriate S/U items for a specific slot (helm, armour etc), then you are able to decide which one you wish to wear.
  • S/U weapons you find can be used towards any of the three weapon slots (primary, switch, merc) at your choice. Once you find your third S/U weapon you must fill the last slot (it is your choice which slot that is!). If your merc cannot equip any of the three S/U weapons, he/she must go weaponless. If this is to occur you may do a couple things:
    * You may continue to use your current merc (who will be weaponless) and hope that an appropriate weapon drops.
    * Or, you may switch mercs and equip it with the third S/U weapon (if of course the merc can equip it, if not it must remain weaponless until an appropriate weapon drops).
  • Sockets may only be filled with emeralds/topaz's (no other gem allowed) and jewels with the green and yellow/gold graphics. Runes are not allowed to be filled into any socket.
  • All charms are allowed as with scrolls, potions, tomes etc.
  • Merc equipment must follow the same rules as your character (socketables and S/U items).
  • Quest items (e.g. Khalim’s Will) may be equipped temporarily only when necessary to complete quests. Quest rewards (Charsi, Anya) may not be equipped.
  • Gambling for S/U items is encouraged
I have claimed vengeance for against Radament and found one more set sheild, the Civerb's ward. Found the same two for the GoldenGirl attempt... Strange that they dropped again.

GoldenBoy S/U summoner necro. Lvl 21 Lut Gholein

Character: Navatara
Lv: 69 (Holy Shock Paladin)
Zone: The Frigid Highlands (NM)
TOURNAMENT: THE SWORD OF DESTINY

The legends are many. A single warrior. A single blade. Together, no host of evil can stand against them. They are linked through prophecy and legend. Aragorn and Anduril. Rand al'Thor and Callandor. King Arthur and Excalibur.

This tournament plays off the classic stories of the hero and his trusty sword. You find or make a legendary sword, and then are linked to that blade for the rest of your career.

THE RULES:

1) The Sword of Destiny: The first unique or set two-handed sword that drops is your character's "Sword of Destiny," the weapon that has been linked to him/ her through prophecy. Once that weapon drops, it is the only weapon that is permitted to be used, with one exception (see #2). If you do not meet the requirements, it remains your Sword of Destiny no matter what other drops occur. At level up, all future skill points must be devoted to becoming qualified to use that sword. You may socket your sword of destiny, upgrade it, enhance it in any way you wish, but it must be the only weapon you use. There is only one way to change your weapon after the first unique or set two-handed sword has dropped . . . see #2.

2) The Runesword: No warrior is more intimately linked to his sword than the warrior who has crafted his or her own sword. Once, and once only per character, you may use runes to create a runeword out of a two-handed sword. Once that is done, the character can never use any other weapon, with no exceptions. It replaces or supercedes any set or unique sword you have found or drops in the future. A character who creates a runesword has essentially made his final weapon choice. This is, however, a way to upgrade your weapon if your Sword of Destiny turns out to be less than endgame powerful. If you make a "Steel" runesword with Tir and El in Act I normal, however, that is your sword until your character dies or wins the tournament.

3) Two-handed swords are the only weapons permitted for use in this tournament. Your character has devoted his life to swordcraft. Barbs must use two-handed swords two-handed and cannot dual wield. You can use any rare or mundane sword that drops during gameplay until you find your Sword of Destiny, but you cannot purchase anything but a white or grey sword. No blues ever, at any time. You can also use the imbue quest for a two-handed sword if you choose, though that can be used for other gear as well.

4) If your Sword of Destiny drops as ethereal, you must use that sword until its durability expires. Then, once it is useless, the gods will grant you another Sword of Destiny (i.e., you must go back to using whites, greys or rares until the next unique or set two-handed sword drops. No sword that drops while you are using the Ethereal blade is permitted for use.

5) Untwinked, hardcore, or softcore until first death. Players may choose their players setting and change it at will. Enter as many times as you wish.

6) Re-running of areas is permitted. The hero will search every corner of the world to find the blade of prophecy, but consider: re-running low-level areas is a good way to ensure your Sword of Destiny will be low-level as well.

7) Classes: Any, though some characters have clear disadvantages. (More info below).

8) Other gear: All other gear (including jewelry) must be mundane (white or grey), rare, or crafted. No blues allowed anywhere on your character, and no set or uniques except the Sword of Destiny.

9) All charms are permitted.

10) Socketing rules: You are a swordsman, not a jeweler. You cannot socket anything in ANY gear except your sword, as you are intimimately familiar with it. Anything you find (gems, runes, jewels, facets) is fair game for socketing in your sword--including any sword you use before your Sword of Destiny drops, but you can't socket any other gear. And remember, only one runeword sword allowed per game as described in rule 2.

11) No gambling. Heroes of Destiny do not find their gear by gambling.

10) Melee kills only. Curses, auras, buffs, etc. are allowed to enhance the damage of the sword, but spells or skills which deal damage without a strike of the sword are not permitted in combat (they can, however, be used as synergies or have a point as a prequisite.) Damage return skills are OK, such as Thorns, Iron Maiden, and Spirit of Barbs, as they are essentially melee skills.

12)Summons, Minions, and Mercs: Heroes of Destiny often have companions, but they typically travel in small bands. For this tournament, you can have no more than two damage-dealing members of your party, including mercenaries. For example, a necromancer who summons a golem and a skeleton could not have a mercenary. However, a druid with a grizzly and Act I mercenary could summon his Heart of Wolverine (because it does not deal direct damage to enemies), but not a raven or poison creeper.

13) Merc gear: Mercs can only wear rare, crafted, or white/greys. No socketing of merc gear.

14) No scoring, except that the lowest level Guardian wins. This will encourage players to take risks and not do to much re-running. Tournament ends when there have been no posts for two weeks.

SPECIFIC SKILL INFORMATION:
ASSASSIN:

No traps. No mind blast.

AMAZON:
Passives tree only.

BARBARIAN:
Everything except War Cry. No dual wielding.

DRUID:
Uh . . . not much. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No shapeshifting, as then you're using claws and not a sword. Nothing in the elemental tree except Cyclone Armor.

NECROMANCER:
All curses are permitted in combat except Confusion and Attract. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No poison skills, no bone spear, teeth or bone spirit. No corpse explosion.

PALADIN:
No holy bolt, Fist of Heavens, blessed hammer, smite, or conversion.

SORCERESS:
Only skills available are Enchant, Warmth, Energy Shield, teleport, masteries, and the cold armor branch.
I went back to the ancients, and this time all three of them had the mana burn mod o_O. Which I guess was a bit unusual, but it made for a pretty easy fight. Killing them put me up to lv 68, and then I just ran through the Worldstone Keep to Baal.

Baal was a pretty easy fight too. The undead in the throneroom were annoying with my negative poison resist, but none of the waves were hard (on p1).

Baal didn't drop anything good. Just some wands I sold for cash.

I'm going on to hell now... and think I might respec to holy fire to work with my sword. ... Although I can all but guarantee a pack of gloams will hunt me down and kill me the moment I do.

. . . . . .
So I respecced, and it looks like my lv 28 holy fire does a good deal less average damage than my lv 22 holy shock... like 600 less / hit. So I think I'm going to use my NM respec to go right back out of it ~.~. I honestly can't believe its that much worse with 6 extra levels. I guess the plan of the day will be to use a low level holy fire as a horrible back up for phys/lightning immunes.

Also, I now have -72% poison resist. That's asking for trouble.

. . . . . .
My re-respec went badly. I thought the resist cold icon was resist lightning, and carelessly wasted a point there. Not a huge deal, and I still have a respec left from hell. I'll hold onto it though until I get a better idea of my end-game stats, so (hopefuly) I can get some more benefit out of it than just fixing a skill point.

The guys in hell are hitting really hard. My merc's died lots of times to zombies. I hit them really hard too, but they're taking off more life than I'd like. I can't really go back and farm for rockstopper or vampire gaze or any of that though, so I guess there's nothing to do but press onwards.

I cleared the den of evil successfully, but might not do much more today. The two wasted respecs have me in a bad mood.

Last edited:
So I did just a little bit so far today, cleared the Rocky Waste and found two great items!
Umbral Disk: better shield!!
Nagelring: 19% MF which is maybe not the best but it still gives me better chance to gear up. Since I am only allowed S/U...

I also forgot to mention I found the set amulet Civerb's Icon giving me some nice refill on life and mana.

The merc is combat (prayer) type and I purchased a 3 os spear from Fara that I put some emeralds in.

Overall a slow and very safe ride so far

S/U rules
  • Your character must be Untwinked (no twinking of items, you must start with nothing).
  • Only S/U's (Set and Unique Items) may be equipped! White or grey items may be used until a S/U item is found for each slot (means no rings or amulets until a S/U item drops). After an appropriate S/U item has been found, you must use that item for that slot or go empty. If you are unable to equip it (ex. you don't have enough dex), then you must do your best to equip it (i.e reach the requirements as fast as possible). Once you find multiple appropriate S/U items for a specific slot (helm, armour etc), then you are able to decide which one you wish to wear.
  • S/U weapons you find can be used towards any of the three weapon slots (primary, switch, merc) at your choice. Once you find your third S/U weapon you must fill the last slot (it is your choice which slot that is!). If your merc cannot equip any of the three S/U weapons, he/she must go weaponless. If this is to occur you may do a couple things:
    * You may continue to use your current merc (who will be weaponless) and hope that an appropriate weapon drops.
    * Or, you may switch mercs and equip it with the third S/U weapon (if of course the merc can equip it, if not it must remain weaponless until an appropriate weapon drops).
  • Sockets may only be filled with emeralds/topaz's (no other gem allowed) and jewels with the green and yellow/gold graphics. Runes are not allowed to be filled into any socket.
  • Merc equipment must follow the same rules as your character (socketables and S/U items).
  • Quest items (e.g. Khalim’s Will) may be equipped temporarily only when necessary to complete quests. Quest rewards (Charsi, Anya) may not be equipped.

GoldenBoy S/U summoner necro. Lvl 22 Rocky Waste

Navatara RIPed unceremoniously on his auspicious(?) 13th day at lv 69.

A lightning/fire/ and cold enchanted fallen champion was to blame, along with my willingness to risk the death explosion. If I was playing smart I would have just run away and ignored him, but honestly I've been a bit demoralized the last few days between my wasted respecs and my awful sword and my poison resist of -72% that I'd have to somehow farm through before Andariel.

Anyways, I've had a fun time trying out zeal with a two handed weapon, but think I'm out of the tournament now. I'm leaving the country for vacation in a few weeks anyways, so I probably wouldn't have time to finish up a character before taking off for that. Best of luck to you all - I'll continue to follow.

I think I might make a regular non-tournament paladin and see how I do with a shield and set/uniques. I can promise I'll appreciate those drops more than I used to. That and get back to my passive amazon.

Just got home from an unexpected funeral out of state :( I'm very nearly done with normal though :)

@Dazliare - Catchy name and it's always attractive when you get that high maximum damage suffix. Man that's actually better than sticking three Rals in it, since the low fire damage is way higher than 15.

Last edited:
I have completed act 2, found my first weapon, Angelic sickle and my first armor, the Isenhart's case. Crap both of them. Luckily I don't really need the gear so far. But I feel the energy to play is fading... I completed a paladin instead. Not tournament and he is regular fana zealot. Now I am aiming to complete my orbi-it-aller sorc to maybe compete in the MFO. This poor tourney fellow is not getting much love...

S/U rules

GoldenBoy S/U summoner necro. Lvl 28 Kurast

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High