The Build Your Own Tournament!

Re-entering Sixstringer's Sword of Destiny.

Character: Navatara
Build: Holy Shock Paladin
Level: 1
Zone: Rogue Encampment

I'm going to take a slightly different approach this time, and risk running on higher player settings to see if I can get some drops. Going to Diablo with 0 lightning resists and not even having a full set of gear on worked out poorly. I'm also going to be more liberal about using resist element auras instead of +elemental damage auras (while I'm short on gear, at least).

Once I get to the midgame and can start crafting items, things should pick up. I just have to get there.

Take 2, go!

Act 1
Act 1 went pretty fast. I did it all on p8, up until Andariel who I did on p7. The higher player setting hasn't bit me with a bad sword of destiny (yet....), but does seem to have helped a bit in finding rares. It's certainly helped find gems to socket swords with. I'm swimming in them.

Early on I didn't find much great stuff. I got my two handed sword equipped at lv 7 again. I found a few rares, but again mostly non-sword weapons I couldn't use. I got a amp damage trident that I'll stick on my merc in Act two, and two rare armors with some resists. I stuck on on my rogue, but didn't use the other since it had no defense... I think my normal ring mail is still better.

I did Andariel at Lv 19. She dropped a good long bow that would have been nice to have before her, but is sort of a waste now (assuming I get an aura merc). She also dropped a bad hard leather rare armor that basically just lowers magic damage by one and self repairs. She dropped a rare falchion I can't use.

Fortunately, she also dropped a rare ring that I can use. It's not fantastic, and I'll miss the 1 mana per kill I had on my first charachter's ring, but this one gives me 9% poison resist, reduces damage by 1, and gives me some strength that will help getting the next tier of sword and heavy armor on a level or two earlier.

She also dropped a rare light belt. Loosing a third row of potions is annoying, but I think it's probably worth picking up for 17% fhr and 10% cold resist. It has 3 mana and 3 life too.

Act 2
I'm wondering what merc I want. I suppose I'll inevitably end up with a NM holy freeze or (maybe) might merc. But I'm not sure until then. I don't really benefit enough from defiance in normal with no shield and bad armor. My merc probably doesn't need defiance to tank stuff, and it doesn't save him from really hard stuff like Duriel... I think I'll try the combat one with prayer, and see if that can offset the rampant poison damage in act two on my merc and I.

The other option would have been sticking with my rogue, but I think having someone help tank is too much of a benefit.

... I ran with the combat merc. He was ok, I guess. Act two was uneventful. I did it all on p7 until Duriel, who I did on p3 because I had no luck finding /any/ gear throughout the act. I shopped some new white stuff from the vendors, and got a tripple socketed claymore that I put some gems into. But otherwise drops were a bust (other than a few resist charms I'm glad to have).

Even Duriel's drops were a bust. I got a bunch of rare weapons that weren't swords. At least one was an enhanced damage polearm I can use to upgrade my merc.

On to Act 3!

Act 3
Act three was nicer to me with drops. I played the whole thing on p8, except for mephisto who I did on p7 at level 30. Mephisto took awhile to knock out, and took an inventory full of healing potions, but I didn't have to TP at least. I got a rare chainmail, amulet, and full helm while running the Act. When I killed mephisto, I got a rare giant sword to top it off. I won't list all the mods, but they leaned heavy cold resist. I'm still strugling a bit with lightning resists, and fire is another very weak spot. I had a close call on the way to mephisto infact, from a big pack of ghoul lords. I'll have to sorts my resists out before diablo so I don't deeds again.

None of the items were "great", but they were all good improvements over whites (or, in the case of the amulet, an empty slot).

Besides those items, I got the usual bunch of rare and set items I can't equip. Isenhart's Case dropped again, and the Hsaru Shoes did. I wish i could equip those badly - 20% move speed and 25% fire resist would be great. Sigh.

The amulet has 17% MF on it, which slightly concerns me. I think I'll risk keeping it on though, because it also has a nice chunk of +hp that I badly need, along with +2 minimum damage, which is nice.

Only other upgrade (very vaguely) was getting my merc an ethereal poleaxe instead of his previous one.

On to Act 4!

I'll probably slow down a bit here, though. As much as I like to pretend I'm done with school, I do still have two finals that aren't going to get studied for on their own.

Last edited:
Sorry about the deeds @Valeli, best of luck on your second go!

Great starts to everyone else as well!

--

Aikido's Rules (for reference)

Aikido began his journey by discretely tossing his starting wand that Akara gave him into Warriv's fire. It was nice of her to give it to him and all, but he had no use for it. He only drew satisfaction from killing monsters with their own tools.

He went out into the Moor and and officially began his career by going toe-to-toe with a zombie. He began amassing some gear, and with the help of Amp he managed to dispose of Corpsefire quite handily. As per usual he hit level 8 in the Cold Plains and immediately enlisted the help of Hannah the Fire Rogue, who took great pleasure in avenging her fallen sisters and taking out Blood Raven.

The Cave held some fun for us, where Coldcrow gave us our first chance to put Dim Vision to use, and we also found our first S/U. We found our first 2 chipped topazes in the Stony Field, and our first 2-socketed armour shortly afterwards, which we gladly filled before saving Cain and killing off the Countess (who dropped a Nef).

Once we hit 18 and got access to Confuse, things became a bit easier now that we had some reliable crowd control. Just in time too, as Aikido's tanking abilities were quickly becoming less than ideal. Still though, the duo played it safe and took Pitspawn out from behind bars, although really it was Hannah doing all the heavy lifting.

Andy was taken down on /p3, and Aikido took up tanking duties once more:

h8ZFBxp.jpg

Hannah plucked away at her while managing to stay out of poison cloud range, and with the help of Amp took her down without much trouble. Her drop was very yellow, although none of it was particularly useful. Off to the desert!

[highlight]Aikido, the future Revivomancer with Hannah the Fire Rogue - lvl 20, Lut Gholein[/highlight]

I'm fighting a strong urge to play a Random Tournament character, but 60 min/week of mouseless play is currently the only thing keeping me from adding another project.

So GoldenGirl has started her journey and has reached the Outer Cloister. So far I would say it is slow but steady. I realized that my rules prevent me from using any runes. So my normal setup with Rhyme and Insight is not doable of course. And with a sorc! So maybe I need to put a lot of points in warmth? Does that help and scale up?

Found 3 items so far:
Hsarus Iron fist (shield)
Cleglaw's claw (shield)
The Hand of Broc (gloves)

The rest of my items are white or grey. I have stuffed topazes in helm and armor for me and the merc so hopefully that will help in finding more stuff.

GoldenGirl, Gold and green sorc, lvl 17 Outer Cloister Normal

Edit: and I am out... Bahhh... Jail lvl 3. I will soon restart with a necro.

Last edited:
I think I've figured out the way to deal with Diablo (other than farming for a long time on p7 and hoping to get good rares, but no set/unique two handed sword at the same time).

The way I see it my paladin has 3 big issues.
1) Low HP pool (due to gear restrictions)
2) Low Resists (again, due to gear restrictions)
3) Gets locked in place for a long time when using a 5 hit zeal and a two handed sword. Lots of IAS might fix that but, again gear restrictions.

Low resists are an issue on Diablo, since I can't just pop my lightning resist aura (His fire/cold damage would still pretty hit hard because of my hp pool, whereas a normal character could probably deal with those two fine). Getting locked in place on Diablo is an even bigger problem, because even with decent lightning resists that hose will hurt if it starts up just as your attack is starting up.

So.
1) I'm going to pop one point into salvation for the resist all. That's a (weak) synergy for my attack that I'd probably take much later normally. But putting one (or even two) points into it will completely fix my resist problems on diablo at the expense of killing my damage. ... I can respec out of it if I craft up some decent gear later on.

2) If I'm going to kill my damage, I'll kill it all the way. There's no reason to be stuck in place for a mediocre zeal when I can just swap over to normal attacks instead, and be able to run away at will.

It's a shame to give up the like, 500 damage/hit I'm getting from holy shock, but without +resists and without hp I'm sure he'll take me out. Even with my damage, I can't oneshot him, and he certainly could one-shot me with a well placed hose. Playing cautiously the fight might get drawn out... and because i have almost no +hp it still might have a few close calls, but I'm thinking that a hit and run using normal attacks and a resist all aura will get me the win as long as I wimp out and do it on p1. It might work fine on higher settings too, but why risk it.

I'll probably try this later today, and let you guys know how it goes.

Edit: Rip queenEm. GL with the necro.

Last edited:
I think I've figured out the way to deal with Diablo (other than farming for a long time on p7 and hoping to get good rares, but no set/unique two handed sword at the same time).

The way I see it my paladin has 3 big issues.
1) Low HP pool (due to gear restrictions)
2) Low Resists (again, due to gear restrictions)
3) Gets locked in place for a long time when using a 5 hit zeal and a two handed sword. Lots of IAS might fix that but, again gear restrictions.

Low resists are an issue on Diablo, since I can't just pop my lightning resist aura (His fire/cold damage would still pretty hit hard because of my hp pool, whereas a normal character could probably deal with those two fine). Getting locked in place on Diablo is an even bigger problem, because even with decent lightning resists that hose will hurt if it starts up just as your attack is starting up.

So.
1) I'm going to pop one point into salvation for the resist all. That's a (weak) synergy for my attack that I'd probably take much later normally. But putting one (or even two) points into it will completely fix my resist problems on diablo at the expense of killing my damage. ... I can respec out of it if I craft up some decent gear later on.

2) If I'm going to kill my damage, I'll kill it all the way. There's no reason to be stuck in place for a mediocre zeal when I can just swap over to normal attacks instead, and be able to run away at will.

It's a shame to give up the like, 500 damage/hit I'm getting from holy shock, but without +resists and without hp I'm sure he'll take me out. Even with my damage, I can't oneshot him, and he certainly could one-shot me with a well placed hose. Playing cautiously the fight might get drawn out... and because i have almost no +hp it still might have a few close calls, but I'm thinking that a hit and run using normal attacks and a resist all aura will get me the win as long as I wimp out and do it on p1. It might work fine on higher settings too, but why risk it.

I'll probably try this later today, and let you guys know how it goes.

Edit: Rip queenEm. GL with the necro.

I believe in you! A poison damage will help as well if possible.

Brief update on Cienele - two tombs completed. I expect to finish act 2 tonight :)

Oops! ... I did it again.
This time with the venom lord NM and friends in the chaos sanctuary right before diablo on p3.

Fun Fact: Being locked in position, with low fire resist, and being surrounded by 12 of those guys.... that doesn't work out so well.

I'm still convinced he'd be great (for a shieldless paladin) if I could just push him forward enough in the game. A built in 95% lightning resist is amazing, defensively, and protects him from a good deal of the killiest stuff out there. (And some of the second killiest stuff, like frenzied Minotaurs or the explosion from undead dolls, aren't really effected by defensive choices like holy freeze anyways).

I'm not used to gear restrictions though, and that's showing in an embarrassing way.

I'm almost tempted to take a short break... but the cause of my last two deaths has just been me pretending I had gear I didn't more than anything more serious. Like, this time, I had salvation when i died. If it was turned on, I'd have had mostly capped resists and only been tickled. So I'll try again. There's a bunch of learning involved here, I guess, when playing the game with these rules. Normal priorities don't really fit. I think I'll put less points in strength and more in vitality as well, since I have no armor or sword that requires it (as opposed to a nl game where I could either twink, or just pick up a decent Gothic plate/Full Plate from Hratli). This time I might farm Meph normal on p5 or p7 for some rares, since I have no issues at all with him.

I might also try to farm up enough gems to craft in normal. I was close to having a few perfects, and had a perfect emerald from the forge. I don't know if crafted items come with an intrinsically elevated lv requirement or not, though. But that might be worth a shot as well. You can get a lot of gems on p7. I should have done that on take one, I had the /best/ Durance map /ever/.

The drawback to both of those farming plans is that I might get a terrible sword. But I guess the odds of that happening are still on the low end as long as I don't spend /that/ long farming. And if it does, I guess I can always farm NM countess until I can make a Crescent Moon or something (does that work in 2 handed swords? I"ll have to check).

Really though, just 3 or 4 decent rares could make a big impact (or me being much more defensive with my auras).

Anyways, without further ado:

Take: 3
Class: Holy Shock Paladin
Level: 26
Zone: Act 3 Start, Normal

Act 1
I actually got a few rare drops on act 1 this time. None of them were great, especially at the start due to low item levels, but it was nice to see a few things. I got a hard leather armor with some lightning resist and -25% poison duration, which was vaguely useful for Andariel, and I got a rare skull cap that self repairs and has a bit more lightning resistance.

I did andariel herself on p7 at lv 19, and she dropped two uniques of no use to me (the axe Deathspade, and the staff Serpant Lord).

She also dropped a rare amulet though, which means I might finally have one for diablo if I make it to him! Unfortunately, it's not all that useful. It has 33% Gold Find which is worthless to me, and 16% magic find. The MF is a mixed blessing. I'll run with it, and hope it finds me rares instead of unique/set two handed swords. It also had like... 2 dex.

Lastly, she dropped a light belt with 6% lightning resist, 10% fast hit recovery, and some small stat ups. I'm getting kind of tired of these rare light belts I always manage to get honestly... I really want that third row of potions on my belt. But I still think I'll wear it for now.

On to Act 2!

Act 2
On the way to Radamant I picked up a pair of heavy boots with +25% stamina recovery, 5% cold resist, and half freeze duration. I went down and finished him up with no real problems.

Later on in the Halls of the Dead searching for the Horadric Cube I found a second pair of rare heavy boots to replace the ones just mentioned. This set had 10% faster run/walk, which is always very appreciated. It also has a 5% chance to nova, and 14% poison resist. ... I found some other stuff I can't use as well. Hsaru's set feet which would have been even nicer, the Angelic Sickle, and even the Artic Furs (body).

I should probably replace my rare body with a normal set of splint armor if I don't find some other rare soon. The defense gap is too big, and at low levels that stat still matters.

In the arcane sanctuary, a rare body (breast plate) actually did drop, and I was super excited. Until I checked it, and found it was just -25% poison duration and +6 life and 2 mana. ... it also had a socket, and would be useful with that filled, but I don't think I'm allowed to even if it's one of a rare item's properties.

Act finished pretty well. I ran the tombs to get some xp and an extra point or two in holy shock before duriel, and got a new Claymore with ~+30% damage, +28 poison damage, and a few other small add on mods.

At lv 26 I dropped the difficulty to p5 for duriel, and got a rare chainmail out of him with 5% cold resist and 5% chance to cast frost nova on hit. It also had a good chunk of hit recovery on it. Not great, but better than nothing (or a normal splint armor).

On to Act 3!

... tomorrow.

Last edited:
I like Safety and Hit Power Crafts in such a restrictive scenerio, that's what I'm going to try and equip eventually on my Barbarian.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. Probably a good idea to look into those instead of (or at least as well as) the usual suspects.

"The Merc's Merc"

I am going to combine Sixstringer's sword of destiny concept with another one that I have often considered for a tournament, which was recently reminded to me by @Maltatai with his recent leapfrog barbarian who had a deathless merc.

1. The first Unique merc equipable weapon [bow(A1), polearm/spear/jav(A2), 1h sword(A3), 2h sword(A5)] shall determine which merc I will use. If that merc is not available I will wait to get them until I reach that act. I will not use a merc until one has been chosen. I can chose which subset of merc I can get from the available ones.

2. AFTER my merc has been chosen he will then receive his other destiny items as they drop. The first Unique items that drop for him for each slot will be his destiny for the game. Items that have already dropped do not matter. These slots will remain empty until they are filled by a destiny item.

3. Destiny gear may be upgraded, but never replaced.

4. My character's destiny is closely tied to my mercenary's destiny. So closely that if they were to die I would not see it fit to continue my journey anymore. (The merc cannot die for any reason or I lose)

5. It is my merc's destiny, not mine. I will not equip any golden items, so as not to upstage his destiny. Blue, Yellow, White, Green, Orange and grey items are allowed. Uniques and runewords are not allowed on myself.

6. All socket quests must go into my merc's gear, there is no restriction on what is socketed in the gear at all though.

7. Other rules are in the basic tourney rules.

I will be entering with a sorceress named Merlin. Both a fitting name and story I think for the situation. Not sure on skills exactly, but one will be frozen orb. The other I may wait to see on what merc I get. I'm not sure how motivated I will actually be to play, so I wanted to pick one of my favorite skills at least.

---

I have started and reached the cold plains. Going is slow, but I now own a 3 socket axe with a ruby in it. I was also lucky to find a poison charm in the den which helped a lot. A stack of eth javs made short work of (insert SU zombie who's name I can't remember here) and his friends.

I'm really hoping I don't get a merc before Andy, this could be a real short journey if I do. I guess I could close her in the starting room if I do get her.

@kestegs - Looks extremely challenging and fun. Will be interesting to see what merc you end up with. I think only Pluckeye short bow can drop in A1, so chances are good you won't find a unique bow before Andy.

Great write-ups so far. Best of luck to everyone!

Haven't invested much time yet with UrsaTitan, as I have been occupied with the 99er. So far I've done p8 full clears up to the underground passage. I have to say a chilled werebear attacks extremely slow, looking to find a fast weapon/CBF. Additional restrictions include no werewolf or elemental skills, of course. Although synergy points toward fireclaws will be allowed, just no casting of the fire spells.

@Southpaw8668 - 4 frame attack would be awesome but I'd settle for a fast dagger class weapon. Physical damage can be decent too, which is something I'll need later on.

Yay, we dragged Kestegs into it after all. GL, looks like an interesting ruleset. It'd be nice not using an Act 2 Merc for a change... I've always sort of wanted to mess with the barbarian one "just cause". Those auras though...

My Day 2 update will be pretty brief, as I was having trouble logging on here while playing, and don't remember exact stats or drops. Basically I ran through act three on p7, and finished it at lv 30. I got a new sword, but nothing too great.

I got an absolutely horrible rare ring from ormus with 14 acc and 2 str. I found some other rare items I could equip too, but valued the fast walk speed on my boots over the new ones. I got a rare full helm with good lightning and poison resists. I gave it to my merc instead of me, since I'll probably just use resist lightning to overcap that for now.

In the durance on the way to mephisto I got a new sword. It was a flamberge and had lower sheet damage per hit than my claymore, but it also has a very fast attack speed. With holy shock most of my damage is coming from the enchanted lightning hits and not strictly physical dps, so attacks speed is a good way to max it. Plus, as I've been finding out, getting locked in position for 5 hits can be dangerous. If I can get those done faster with this sword, it's a safety perk as well as an offensive one.

I did Mephisto at lv 30. He dropped a cool unique shield with great block. I can't use it of of course, but I'll pass it on to my passive daggerzon until she gets something more exciting. I'm going to get the easy two skill points from Izual next, and will debate if I want to go back and rerun Mephisto three or four times after that. I think I might farm him a bit. It would be nice to up resists for Diablo. I'm not willing to die again there.

Oh. I also got a lot of charms. My resists are hovering around 30 because of that (except for cold), although my inventory is getting painfully clogged up in order to keep them.

Level: 33 (Holy Shock Pld)
Zone: Chaos Sanctuary, Normal
I've ran through Act 4 pretty fast on p5, and decided to farm the chaos sanctuary a bit for items and levels. I also got sanctuary to lv2, so I'll have 74+ resists to everything when I do take on diablo (if I use that aura). My holy shock is getting pretty powerful too though, and with a very fast weapon this time, I'm tempted to try and overlevel a bit more and just cut through him like butter if I can get a few more resists on gear.

I'm looking to craft a pair of gloves, either blood for the crushing blow or safety. I'd prefer blood, but rubies are the gem I'm currently worst off with. I could craft the safety ones if I found a pair of magic gauntlets.

I'm also looking for a second ring (that slot is still empty... although my first ring slot might as well be empty... lousy Ormus).

I found a pair of rare greaves in the Chaos Sanctuary, and replaced my rare heavy boots with them. I lose out on the fast run walk from the boots, but the greaves have ~15% cold and fire resist, both of which are pretty valuable to me. They also keep the 5% chance to cast frost nova when I'm hit. I loose out on some poison resist by changing to them too but... whatever.

I'm going to keep farming until I get rare gloves or a ring, I think. Or until I just massively overlevel the zone to the point of stupidity.

Last edited:
Katarina is now level 16.9 and just full cleared everything in the Black Marsh, things are slightly safer with the beginning shield still instead of going dual claw. She finally has her three socket ring mail and is now waiting on drops.

Heather: I would also like a better bow if possible.

Kat: Wishlist includes some better wrist blades.

Katarina, the now level 16.9 Assassin with her cold girl Heather in the Black Marsh, next up: Tamoe Highland.

Rules

After a bit of a marathon session, Duriel has fallen. Immolation Arrow is...really fun. I'm putting serious thought into just playing that for the game, and having a backup plan for FIs later. Some screenshots!

View attachment 3134

That chain mail ended up having 2os (don't have a screenshot right now), so I stuck 2 topazes in it and put it on Leharas for the boost in MF.

Cienele - level 28 Immolation Arrow Amazon. Level 28. Kurast lies in wait

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High