The Build Your Own Tournament!

You mean like the +1 spear skills mod on a maiden spear? (But the bow version?)

That sticks around.

I'm almost positive all staffmods and automods are re-rolled upon imbuing. The only thing that remains is whether or not the item is ethereal.

EDIT: After a bit of digging, here is a thread that suggests they are re-rolled, including RTB corroborating that. I wouldn't count on them sticking around.

It's not a staff mod though, right? It's just the basic weapon-specific mod that all weapons of that class have by default?

Not like a wizard orb which may or may not spawn with +1 lightning / whatever skills. All maiden spears (and amazon bows) will have the +spear (bow) skill by default.

... I guess the number between 1-3 might reroll, unless that's tied to item level? But it should remain in some form, at least. I know the maiden spear I just imbued the other day kept it.

10) Melee kills only. Curses, auras, buffs, etc. are allowed to enhance the damage of the sword, but spells or skills which deal damage without a strike of the sword are not permitted in combat (they can, however, be used as synergies or have a point as a prequisite.) Damage return skills are OK, such as Thorns, Iron Maiden, and Spirit of Barbs, as they are essentially melee skills.
@Valeli - I would say that straight damaging skills projecting off your initial sword strike is what was intended. For example if your Runeword sword had a CTC Frozen Orb or Poison Nova upon striking or after each kill you are good. Skills to avoid are things like Holy Fire, Freeze, Lightning, Sanctuary and so on. Therefore I am going to impose the same restriction on my Mercenary and not hire a Iron Wolf or Holy Freeze Town Guard.
I certainly hope you join my endeavor, as it does look very fun and as far as I've gone thus far it has been super fun swinging a big two-hander with three chipped sapphires in it. Destroying everything in Act 1 thus far. :D It is also very different not having much access to MF, not being able to socket any of my armor with Topazes.

Reply to PB's edit: That thread is correct for items like pelts and barbarian helms etc, that can spawn with a whole set of automods. A barb helm can pop with +iron skin, or +nat resists, or +sword mastery, and will reroll whatever when you imbue. Same for paladin shields, which can come with different implicit properties (+damage, +resists).

The amazon spears/bows are categorically different though. They /all/ spawn /only/ with +spear and javelin or +bow skills (respectively). The number might get rerolled, I'm not sure, but the mod itself will be there, because the weapon type won't change. It /has/ to be there. The alternative would be a maiden spear without +spear skills, and that - by definition - can't exist.

Again, by way of contrast, that's different from (say) a fanged helm. Which very much can exist within the game without rolling 1+ mace mastery.

I'd go screenshot another one if I wasn't saving my current character's imbue for later on.

Edit: You know what Southpaw? I think I will go join your tournament. It's much more imaginative than mine, which is nothing more than an excuse to make the passivezon I never got around to. Not that that's a bad project, but your thing just seems more fun. And I never made a two-handed zealot either, so there's that! To come up with a name though....

Edit 2: Dumb question, but how are you guys getting those screen shots? There's probably an easy way I don't know about? It'd be fun to share a few.

Last edited:
Reply to your edit: That thread is correct for items like pelts and barbarian helms etc, that can spawn with a whole set of automods. A barb helm can pop with +iron skin, or +nat resists, or +sword mastery, and will reroll whatever when you imbue. Same for paladin shields, which can come with different implicit properties (+damage, +resists).

The amazon spears/bows are categorically different though. They /all/ spawn /only/ with +spear and javelin or +bow skills (respectively). The number might get rerolled, I'm not sure, but the mod itself will be there, because the weapon type won't change. It /has/ to be there. The alternative would be a maiden spear without +spear skills, and that - by definition - can't exist.

Again, by way of contrast, that's different from (say) a fanged helm. Which very much can exist within the game without rolling 1+ mace mastery.

I'd go screenshot another one if I wasn't saving my current character's imbue for later on.

Edit: You know what Southpaw? I think I will go join your tournament. It's much more imaginative than mine, which is nothing more than an excuse to make the passivezon I never got around to. Not that that's a bad project, but your thing just seems more fun. And I never made a two-handed zealot either, so there's that! To come up with a name though....

That was my thought as well, thanks for the clarification. I'll plan to imbue the first Reflex Bow I find for normal and hope it works out ^_^

Hmm. Were they? It's tricky to read. It says only melee kills, but also says that "auras which enchant damage" are fine, and doesn't explicitly place holy shock/fire/etc in the restricted skills for paladin list. It also says Thorns is fine as that's "essentially a melee attack", and like 90% of the holy aura damage comes from enhanced actual attacks rather than the pulse. The skill list at the end seems fairly comprehensive too so.... if you were around when this was run initially I suppose I'll believe you.

I guess I'll allow myself auras (holy shock or freeze probably) unless anyone strongly objects in the next day or so. I'll save first den of evil respec to fix that, just in case if someone does.

This should be interesting. I'll be consciously trying to stick on p1 as long as possible to avoid great sword drops until nm or hell if i can, instead of just plowing through on p8.

8) Other gear: All other gear (including jewelry) must be mundane (white or grey), rare, or crafted. No blues allowed anywhere on your character, and no set or uniques except the Sword of Destiny.
This means that other gear can use any runewords either correct, or does that count as crafted?

As for the Reflex bow, GL with Charsi, and may the odds be ever in your favor :x.

Last edited:
No problem. I hope my post didn't come across as overbearing or anything. I tend to type too much on forums.

As for my (new) challenge...
Character: Navatara
Class: Paladin, Holy Shock (Primarily)
Level: 15
Zone: Lut Gholein

I had to wait till level seven to get my first two handed sword (I bought it at lv 6, but couldn't equip for one more level). It's nothing fancy, just a gemmed two-socketed long-sword, but it's really able to bring the hurt on P1 for now.

The inability to equip any of my magic finds is making stuff a bit tougher defensively, though not too bad this early on. I was just going to say I'll save some money to gamble for some rare stuff.... when I remembered I can't do that :x.

Definitely an interesting twist to the game!

I ended up getting my first unique at lv 13 just before andarial. Some heavy gloves with 6% poison resist, and half freeze duration. I also got a rare long bow for my ill-fated rogue mercenary just before that fight as well.... fate takes with one hand and gives with another though, as Andarial dropped a rare trident that should do well for an Act 2 merc. It has a 5% chance to cast amp, some resists, and a little bit of extra damage and attack speed.

Andarial also dropped a rare ring, giving me my first piece of jewelry. Nothing too special, 5% fire resist and some attack rating. Half freeze duration. I'll take it gladly, though.

I still haven't used my imbue. I'll probably use it mid act two on a sword if I can't find a decent replacement, or I'll try to hold out for getting a free rare armor out of it a bit later on in act 3.

Last edited:
DJ: Now that we're all here.

Kat: That section had an insane underground Passage.

Heather: We almost got lost in it.

DJ: Still no major note finds yet.

Kat: we're getting there.

Heather: she still hates LE's (NDE against LE archer)

Kat: I don't want to talk about that one.

DJ: At least the old man is rescued.

Kat: yep, free identifying is nice.

Heather: Up next: Black Marsh.

[HIGHLIGHT] Katarina, the now level 15 assassin in the Dark Wood, with her assistant Heather. Next up: Black Marsh. [/HIGHLIGHT]

@Valeli - After reading the skills section at the end of his rules I can see understand your feelings on the minimal area damage Holy Auras. Regarding armor though it is definitely limiting us to mundane, rare and crafted pieces. I wouldn't classify Runeword items as crafted, so I feel what he was referring to is Blood armor or one of the other three options. The only thing I'm going to make a Runeword with as per rule #10 Socketing Rules is my trusty weapon. There can be only one...Highlander.

That sword of destiny one looks really fun. I almost want to quit my daggerzon and start that up ;x.

Maybe if I die....

It says you're not allowed to use spells that damage the enemies independently of striking in it. Do you think that rules out auras like holy freeze that do super-pidly pulse damage independently of striking, but have some pulse damage nonetheless? I guess it does, by the rules, and you'd be stuck with fanaticism for a damage aura....

Anyways, looks really cool. I might join you later if I run into some bad luck.

At the end of the post there's a class specific section which allows it.

That tournament looks really cool. Must....resist....D2...

Edit: apparently there was 2 pages to this thread. Lol.

Last edited:
@kestegs Come on you know you want to be swinging a big honking sword around. It's been a blast so far wielding this big double hander laying the smack down on creeps.

Yeah. I agree on the runes not being crafted outside of the sword being "narratively" crafted. Just wanted to double check your take.

This is tricky. I just had my first close call in the Act 2 palace on normal... in p1 :x. All that elemental damage is rough when your resists are like.... 0 <.<;.

I'm giving some serious thought to plunking down one point in each of the elemental resist auras for now, after this happened. I can always respec out of them later if I stumble into some good gear. I found a nifty unique belt (not that good, but 25% poison resist in -50% poison duration). Pity I can't use it. Wish my passive-zon had found it. Oh well, I can always transfer it over to her now that she's not tournament-ing. Found a rare two handed sword, but it wasn't really better than the socketed claymore I'm currently using.

I'm also second guessing my aura. I was thinking shock just so I can overcap lightning at 85%... but without a shield and without socketed armor, that might be a really tricky number to hit in hell. I'm wondering if it might not be a better plan to go with holy freeze instead.... I guess I'll stick with holy shock for now, and can always respec in hell if my resists are just nowhere close to capped.

My only real complaint is that I wish we were able to use quest-rewards, regardless of what they were. Like that blue ring from when I rescued Cain. I feel that saving Cain is destiny-worthy. Not like my ring was special, I think it was just +1 damage, but it's a matter of principle ;;. Oh well, I'll stick to the rules. Maybe try this a second time down the line someday with a few amendments.

(And I second Southpaw. You should join in kestegs. This is good times).

Edit: This is just a hypothetical I'm nowhere close to yet, but what would be your take on a prismatic amulet? It's crafted.... but it's blue. I suppose the "absolutely no blues" overrules the "you can craft things" in that case (as it would with crafted resist rings). But I'm throwing this out just to be sure.

.. on second thought, I probably don't have to ask this. It "feels" too intentionally trying to game the rules, which means it certainly is. (As opposed to the holy freeze/shock stuff, which I didn't feel was trying to game them).

Last edited:
Small update on Kristberg's adventures. Saving the 3 chipped ruby sword for Andy.
Name: Kristberg
Class: Barbarian
Experience: 245133
Level: 16

Naked/Gear
Strength: 60/62
Dexterity: 42/43
Vitality: 48/48
Energy: 10/11
HP: 177/177
Mana: 25/33
Stamina: 130/130
Defense: 10/63
AR: 195/231

Fire: 0/-40/-100
Cold: 0/-40/-100
Lightning: 10/-30/-90
Poison: 10/-30/-90

MF: 0 Block: 21
GF: 0
FR/W: 0
FHR: 34
IAS: 0
FCR: 0

Bash: 1/1
Leap: 1/1
Double Swing: 0/0
Stun: 1/1
Double Throw: 0/0
Leap Attack: 0/0
Concentrate: 0/0
Frenzy: 0/0
Whirlwind: 0/0
Berserk: 0/0

Sword Mastery: 13/13
Axe Mastery: 0/0
Mace Mastery: 0/0
Pole Arm Mastery: 0/0
Throwing Mastery: 0/0
Spear Mastery: 0/0
Increased Stamina: 0/0
Iron Skin: 0/0
Increased Speed: 0/0
Natural Resistance: 0/0

Howl: 0/0
Find Potion: 0/2
Taunt: 0/0
Shout: 0/0
Find Item: 0/0
Battle Cry: 0/0
Battle Orders: 0/0
Grim Ward: 0/0
War Cry: 0/0
Battle Command: 0/0

Rune Clutches
Leather Gloves
Defense: 4
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Level: 1
Fingerprint: 0xb0e2294c
Item Level: 4
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+19 to Attack Rating
+11% Enhanced Defense
+1 to Dexterity
Poison Resist +5%

Sash
Defense: 2
Fingerprint: 0x946f7cf6
Item Level: 2

Boots
Defense: 3
Fingerprint: 0x88942795
Item Level: 5

Pain Flange
Hard Leather Armor
Defense: 31
Durability: 28 of 28
Required Level: 3
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x66b49dd9
Item Level: 8
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
+27% Enhanced Defense
+2 to Strength
+5 to Mana
Lightning Resist +10%

Bronze Grand Charm of Balance
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x2bb9ef00
+12% Faster Hit Recovery
+10 to Attack Rating

Small Charm of Shock
Small Charm
Required Level: 9
Fingerprint: 0xe4f1f5a8
Adds 1 - 4 Lightning Damage

Havoc Shell
Jawbone Cap
Defense: 13
Durability: 25 of 25
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0x81e2ae45
Item Level: 6
+2 to Find Potion (Barbarian Only)
+1 to Energy
+3 to Mana
Poison Resist +5%

Small Charm of Blight
Small Charm
Required Level: 6
Fingerprint: 0x29655e0b
Adds 6 Poison Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)

Small Charm of Shock
Small Charm
Required Level: 9
Fingerprint: 0x9c49f91b
Item Level: 6
Adds 1 - 4 Lightning Damage

Grand Charm of Balance
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x4fd89964
+12% Faster Hit Recovery

Bronze Small Charm
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x1aca6cfc
Item Level: 1
+2 to Attack Rating

Gemmed Two-Handed Sword
Two-Handed Sword
One Hand Damage: 2 - 9
Two Hand Damage: 8 - 17
Durability: 44 of 44
Required Strength: 35
Required Dexterity: 27
Fingerprint: 0xbbccc8b8
Item Level: 12
Adds 9 - 12 Fire Damage
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Chipped Ruby

Gemmed Two-Handed Sword
Two-Handed Sword
One Hand Damage: 2 - 9
Two Hand Damage: 8 - 17
Durability: 44 of 44
Required Strength: 35
Required Dexterity: 27
Fingerprint: 0xd43c1661
Item Level: 10
Adds 3 - 9 Cold Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Chipped Sapphire

Mercenary:
Name: Basanti
Race: Rogue Scout
Type: Ice - Normal
Experience: 346774
Level: 14
Dead?: false

Naked/Gear
Strength: 48/48
Dexterity: 67/67
HP: 144/145
Defense: 119/171
AR: 326/329

Fire: 22/-18/-78
Cold: 27/-13/-73
Lightning: 22/-18/-78
Poison: 22/-18/-78

Dire Shroud
Hard Leather Armor
Defense: 41
Durability: 15 of 15
Required Strength: 10
Fingerprint: 0x9086a379
Item Level: 8
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
+11% Enhanced Defense
+1 to Life
+3 to Mana
Cold Resist +5%
Ethereal

Skull Cap
Defense: 11
Durability: 15 of 18
Required Strength: 15
Fingerprint: 0x25a66b67

Gemmed Superior Hunter's Bow
Superior Hunter's Bow
Two Hand Damage: 2 - 7
Durability: 29 of 32
Required Dexterity: 28
Fingerprint: 0x95cbdfa7
Item Level: 12
+1 to Maximum Damage
+3 to Attack Rating
Adds 1 - 8 Lightning Damage
Adds 1 - 3 Cold Damage Over 1 Secs (25 Frames)
Adds 10 Poison Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Chipped Emerald
Socketed: Chipped Topaz

Charachter: Navatara
Class: Holy Shock Pld
Level: 26
Zone: Pandemonium Fortress

Duriel almost killed me at 21... so did a lot of scarabs on the way to him. I got out with a well placed portal and decided to play the level up game a bit on p2 before trying him again.

While doing that I started playing with resist lightning as my aura for scarabs instead of holy freeze (now shock at 24). That worked really well. I stopped instantly dying to them, and my merc (Act 2 Normal Defensive) became almost immune.

I found some random rares I can't equip, and isenhart's case which... I also can't equip. I'm struggling on the gear front kind of badly and wondering if I should use Charsi's imbue on my armor now. I'm close enough to Act three that if I wait just a bit I can get her to do it on something better though. If I don't die first.... I don't think I want to use it on my sword, because on players 1/2, a general 3 socket superior two handed sword still is zealing plenty of damage. Some life/mana leach on it would be handy, but it's probably better to imbue my armor and hope for some resists or fhr.

Edit 1: I'm glad I held out on that imbue. At level 24, after having saved up a sizeable stockpile of rejuvenation potions, I went back to duriel. I got a rare breast plate and rare mask out of him. The breast plate had a decent +armor, 20% fire resist, and 17% fhr. It also had a tiny amount of life. The mask wasn't as special, but it did have 9% poison resist and a chance to cast frost nova when hit, as well as a small armor up that made it a defensive step up from my full helm.

On to Kurast!

After the Gidbin quest, Ormus helped me (finally) fill up my second ring slot. It's not an awful ring either, it has +1 max damage, +82 attack, and +1 mana per kill (which is enough to keep me perma full for zeal, on packs at least). It also has 7% MF which is something I both want (to try and get some rare items) and want to avoid (to avoid getting an early unique/set two handed sword). 7% is probably low enough I don't have to worry though.

One unique dropped, stoutnail. Nothing special, just a double damage club that I can't use (and probably wouldn't want to anyways).

Resists are still a problem. Even with my 20% fire res breast plate and a small charm or two bumping it up towards 30%, those flayer shaman do pretty heavy damage if they catch me (which happens frequently, since I have a - relatively - long 5 attack two handed zeal in which I'm stationary). I'm not /really/ worried about them, but it could be a problem in NM.

Going to take a break here. For a few hours, at least.

Post break, I ran through the jungle fairly fast. I really lucked out with a pair of heavy boots in the flayer dungeon that had triple resists (cold 12, poison 14, fire 25). They also had 42% gold find on them as a kicker, although I don't really buy much of anything since I can't gamble.

Between there and Mephisto unique polearms started dropping out of the sky. I got Dimhoak's Hew, which I was sort of sad I can't equip on my merc in this tournament, and Stealgoad. I also got an ethereal poleaxe that I could toss on the merc though, as well as a rare full helm for him with a little bit of cold resist.

I was worried mephisto might be tough for me since I still had 0 lightning resists, and poor cold/fire resists, but it turns out that I did more than enough damage to roll over him.

He dropped a rare bastard sword that's.... sort of vaguely ok. It does less damage than my currently equipped tripple socket sword, but it has a single open socket and would do more if I put something nice in there. I'm probably better off waiting for another tripple open socket sword though, rather than wasting a good socket filler in a sword with just one socket.

On to Hell!

Last edited:
Charachter: Navatara
Class: Holy Shock Pld
Level: 24
Zone: Canyon of the Magi

Duriel almost killed me at 21... so did a lot of scarabs on the way to him. I got out with a well placed portal and decided to play the level up game a bit on p2 before trying him again.

While doing that I started playing with resist lightning as my aura for scarabs instead of holy freeze (now shock at 24). That worked really well. I stopped instantly dying to them, and my merc (Act 2 Normal Defensive) became almost immune.

I found some random rares I can't equip, and isenhart's case which... I also can't equip. I'm struggling on the gear front kind of badly and wondering if I should use Charsi's imbue on my armor now. I'm close enough to Act three that if I wait just a bit I can get her to do it on something better though. If I don't die first.... I don't think I want to use it on my sword, because on players 1/2, a general 3 socket superior two handed sword still is zealing plenty of damage. Some life/mana leach on it would be handy, but it's probably better to imbue my armor and hope for some resists or fhr.

Edit 1: I'm glad I held out on that imbue. At level 24, after having saved up a sizeable stockpile of rejuvenation potions, I went back to duriel. I got a rare breast plate and rare mask out of him. The breast plate had a decent +armor, 20% fire resist, and 17% fhr. It also had a tiny amount of life. The mask wasn't as special, but it did have 9% poison resist and a chance to cast frost nova when hit, as well as a small armor up that made it a defensive step up from my full helm.

On to Kurast!

Why can't you equip random rares?

They were all weapons. Pilla, necromancer skulls, etc.

It's not that I can't equip rares. Just that I couldn't equip the one's i'd been finding (prior to duriel's drops). I also found a pair of rare chain gloves that were really epically lousy, so I stuck with my rare heavy gloves from act 1. I'm feeling good about the breast plate he gave me though. the 20% fire resist will be handy in act three. The poison resist on the mask too, even if it's just 9%.

Edit: RIPed to Normal Diablo at lv 26.
So yeah, it turns out fighting him with 0 lightning resist is a bad idea. Kind of.

I started the fight using Resist Lightning as my Aura, and my damage was just really low. Instead of being smart, dealing with it, and town porting two or three times to restock on potions, I figured I'd try to do it with Holy Shock and kill him before he killed me like I had with Mephisto.

... yeah, no.

Still, I saw that coming from a mile away. Silly me.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High