The Build Your Own Tournament!

@queenEm - I'm with you on the lack of focus here, my Barbarian isn't getting much love either at the moment, as he's a real slug-fest. I suppose I've decided to focus on trying to get my Windy Druid to 99. Wish you best of drops for Goldenboy!

Ok, so this'll be an untwinked thrower barb. Until now I have plenty of stuff to throw at them, but in p8 I soon needed to rely on magic items, and not just throw every junk, because that way it took forever.
Got Cain, and I'll call that a day.

Ok, so this'll be an untwinked thrower barb. Until now I have plenty of stuff to throw at them, but in p8 I soon needed to rely on magic items, and not just throw every junk, because that way it took forever.
Got Cain, and I'll call that a day.

I found Thrower Barbs tons of fun. Until I got sick of going back to town every few minutes because I was out of things to throw with ...

Good luck.

I found Thrower Barbs tons of fun. Until I got sick of going back to town every few minutes because I was out of things to throw with ...

Good luck.

I've been thinking about doing a thrower in SC for a long time, but I don't want to do it without finding some awesome thrown weapons, and I'd rather not use the typical uniques

I've been thinking about doing a thrower in SC for a long time, but I don't want to do it without finding some awesome thrown weapons, and I'd rather not use the typical uniques
Well, if I get to finish Nm in singlepass, I'll likely do some infinite imbue for a weapon or something.
Aside just the character, this time I'll do everything in Area Level order.
First and foremost: this time I finished Andariel. I use the throwing stuff until they run out, or against dangerous mobs (tp - repair - tp back). The prime skill-to invest is the mastery after 9 point in double swing which is my prime skill-in-use to be honest. Found a Crushflange, which is an ok offhand weapon for what it worth at this point, and Andy dropped a Deathspade. Surprisingly generous.
The order by area-lvl was fullclear each area as they come (Blood Moor -> Den of... -> Cold Plains etc. until Black Marsh. There headed right to The Hole,and cleared the (rest of) the Marsh later. After that came Tristram, THEN the Tower. Same for Pit and Tamoe Highland, with the addition in the Pit my clvl was +10 > than the alvl. The rest was find it, clear it. Finished at clvl 21, which is 9 lvl over Catacombs 3-4, and 8 over Sewers.

On the throwables: while it was ok to have a javelin in Act1, it is wise to go for the throwing knives and awex, not the javelin-class stuff. Their stock is ridiculously low.
Then there is the problem of Weapon Speed. Throwings don't exactly shine on damage I mean. But Throwing Axes are normal speed, which means they are slow, so unless there will be some with ias, they are a no-go. The sooner I find (or buy) some Balanced Axe the better for Normal Diff.[/SPOILER[

Well, if I get to finish Nm in singlepass, I'll likely do some infinite imbue for a weapon or something.
Aside just the character, this time I'll do everything in Area Level order.
First and foremost: this time I finished Andariel. I use the throwing stuff until they run out, or against dangerous mobs (tp - repair - tp back). The prime skill-to invest is the mastery after 9 point in double swing which is my prime skill-in-use to be honest. Found a Crushflange, which is an ok offhand weapon for what it worth at this point, and Andy dropped a Deathspade. Surprisingly generous.
The order by area-lvl was fullclear each area as they come (Blood Moor -> Den of... -> Cold Plains etc. until Black Marsh. There headed right to The Hole,and cleared the (rest of) the Marsh later. After that came Tristram, THEN the Tower. Same for Pit and Tamoe Highland, with the addition in the Pit my clvl was +10 > than the alvl. The rest was find it, clear it. Finished at clvl 21, which is 9 lvl over Catacombs 3-4, and 8 over Sewers.

On the throwables: while it was ok to have a javelin in Act1, it is wise to go for the throwing knives and awex, not the javelin-class stuff. Their stock is ridiculously low.
Then there is the problem of Weapon Speed. Throwings don't exactly shine on damage I mean. But Throwing Axes are normal speed, which means they are slow, so unless there will be some with ias, they are a no-go. The sooner I find (or buy) some Balanced Axe the better for Normal Diff.[/SPOILER[

Infinite imbue?

I think that now I am getting back into D2 i may as well enter a tournament :D

I will be playing Kenny Rodgers, the barbarian.

Rule-set is simple and it has definitely been done before, but i haven't played something like this before and i think it will be fun.

- All equipment worn must have been gambled
- Any sockets present in gambled gear are fine to use
- Charms/scrolls are fine
- Mercs must also wear gambled gear

I have no idea what kind of barbarian i will play, i can't even remember what kind of barbarians there are! I plan to just gamble weapons until one of them gives me inspiration. Any ideas are welcome.

I have no idea what kind of barbarian i will play, i can't even remember what kind of barbarians there are! I plan to just gamble weapons until one of them gives me inspiration. Any ideas are welcome.

To help you out:
- There is Singer Barb which uses War Cry as main damage source. Not really attractive.
- There is Throwing Barb, which is not really a legit untwinked build given its low damage, lack of elemental support and so on.
- There is Whirlwind Barb. I could never manage its needs, so ask someone else.
- There's Concentration Barb. Give it a Rhyme Shield, and Berserk as secondary attack to deal with PIs, and you have it.
- Berserk Barb: give it a big twohanded weapon of toleratable speed and hope you won't ever get cornered.
And that's it. In legend there is the Leap Attackbarb (aka.Dragoon), but as that skill only works from distance, given the behavior and speed of the monsters it is NOT a legit build.

@Dazliare
Yes, "infinite imbue". We KNOW Imbue is a fake reward. So copy your character folder somewhere, use up the imbue, spend all your 3,000,000 gold on gamble -and you still get nothing worthy copy back your character and start again. Voilá, infinite imbue.

Walked through the Desert. But it's not that easy whenyou go by Area Level:
- first you walk down 2 level of Sewers, then hunt for the Stony Tomb There, despite this time it was literally at the gate of the town I again went +10 lvl here, but whatever. Rocky Waste and Sewers lvl 3 has equal lvl, so why not get that extra skill.
- The rest is find-and-visit, EXCEPT the Maggot's Lair. That'll come MUCH later.

EDIT: I just noticed after Stony Tomb I'd had to visit Halls of the Dead lvl 1 asap. This way I got +10 lvl there.

Last edited:
@Dazliare
Yes, "infinite imbue". We KNOW Imbue is a fake reward. So copy your character folder somewhere, use up the imbue, spend all your 3,000,000 gold on gamble -and you still get nothing worthy copy back your character and start again. Voilá, infinite imbue.

To me that dosen't sound at all like a fair way to play a tournament.
Nor with the general decorum of these fora.
In my mind it's just downright cheating and no different from say infinite rerolling of charms or runewords.

-10 karma

To me that dosen't sound at all like a fair way to play a tournament.
Nor with the general decorum of these fora.
In my mind it's just downright cheating and no different from say infinite rerolling of charms or runewords.

-10 karma

Agree 100%.

Also, I wouldn't know why the imbue reward is a fake reward. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not. I definitely got some very good circlets from it.

To help you out:
- There is Singer Barb which uses War Cry as main damage source. Not really attractive.
- There is Throwing Barb, which is not really a legit untwinked build given its low damage, lack of elemental support and so on.
- There is Whirlwind Barb. I could never manage its needs, so ask someone else.
- There's Concentration Barb. Give it a Rhyme Shield, and Berserk as secondary attack to deal with PIs, and you have it.
- Berserk Barb: give it a big twohanded weapon of toleratable speed and hope you won't ever get cornered.
And that's it. In legend there is the Leap Attackbarb (aka.Dragoon), but as that skill only works from distance, given the behavior and speed of the monsters it is NOT a legit build.

No rhyme shield unfortunately, only gambled. I am leaning towards a berserk style barb as it is the only one that looks like it can deal with hell, so many physical immunes and its hard to deal different types of damage without good gear. I will probably roll with 2H on one weapon switch and a 1H + shield on the other so that i don't die to the first pack of archers in hell that i come across ;)

I have already been playing on Kenny for a little bit, but I will wait until i have finished a whole act before doing a nice write up. I completely forgot how fast gambling gets expensive though geez!

I have already been playing on Kenny for a little bit, but I will wait until i have finished a whole act before doing a nice write up. I completely forgot how fast gambling gets expensive though geez!

Edge runeword on switch or in stash helps a bit.

Who said isn't cheating what I say? But:
- not considering until start of Hell
- only doing if nothing good falls
- I never ever got anything even decent from imbuing. And I had a crapload of characters. You never-ever-ever get anything good from it. To get anything even "useful at your level" has the chance of finding a Zod, and that has a 1:1000 years chance. Thus the 'reward" is a fake. Same thing for Atma's reward, or any of the ring rewards. There's only a 1:1,000,000 chance you'll get anything better then a 1 energy 20 stamina item.
Even crafting has a 1:100 chance to get something useful, and those have fixed stats. Of course that's only true for the 2-3 useful stat items
- it is not actually importing stuff, thus not actually cheating as you gain named items without effort (ok, not the gambling part but you get my point).

@Malevolent Berserker is definitely not easy untwinked, let alone gamble only. A singer would be the safest option, I think. But we're not here to make things easy, are we? :cool:.

@ThomasJohnsen Edge would indeed help. Not sure if it's allowed for gabling though, as it's a runeword, so not a gambled item.

@twillight Agreed, the chance of getting a good imbue or quest reward is low. That's still no reason to cheat. And that's what you are doing. Just read the forum rules, and what's accepted and what not.

@Dazliare

EDIT: I just noticed after Stony Tomb I'd had to visit Halls of the Dead lvl 1 asap. This way I got +10 lvl there.[/SPOILER]

I absolutely agree with everyone else - while it may be somehow within the rules here, I equate that with crashing your game to have another shot at a runeword roll, which is firmly against everything we stand for at these forums.

I'm going to say that's against the spirit of this tournament. If you haven't done it already, then I encourage you to keep progressing your character.

The whole point of tournaments like these is making the best of what you find along the way

I'm going to say that's against the spirit of this tournament. If you haven't done it already, then I encourage you to keep progressing your character.
The whole point of tournaments like these is making the best of what you find along the way
@Dazliare - I guessing you meant to inform twillight to not continue this said tournament character due to his cheesy behavior.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High