Single Player D2R News round up

@maxicek: you are right, the video is from tech alpha. I didn't pay attention to that. Still, even the other wide screen formats make for more visible area. Not that I am complaining - it makes HC play somewhat safer :)

Found a bug (I don't think it is intentional): Identifying items with Cain doesn't identify items in the Horadric Cube when you have it in your inventory...

Pelta Lunata.jpgZwischenablage02.jpg

EDIT: We are allowed to post screenshots of ingame content, right? Just the survey is off-limit to post?

Oh yeah, they encouraged sharing game content. Free marketing.

I played both weekend and have preordered, plus I'll get it on the switch. I enjoyed the graphics update, but I'll have to verify a few things before I commit to moving more significant chars/items. I really don't want to cook my computer so I'll have to be confident that I could do MFO style play (4 hour blocks) even if it is on rare occasion.

Also I ran into a nasty bug (correct me if I'm remembering wrong), in D2R (Amazon with javalin on normal and switch but basic attack on primary and CS on switch), I couldn't weapon switch smoothly. I had to stop attacking, switch, and then start attacking again. I almost died several times because I would come up against a decent size pack, get into trouble, and try to switch weapons while fighting only to end up almost dead a moment later because I hadn't switched. Am I remembering that right. I'll have to fire up D2 to verify.

Hmm, not sure about the weapon switching. Didn't try that out...I did however run into a variant of the stuck in attack animation bug. Midswing I got stuck in the animation and couldn't do anything anymore. Weapon switch was of no use, I couldn't move, couldn't use TP or skills etc. Had to S&E...seems like a nasty thing for single pass gaming that can screw up your game session.

But yeah, I will probably buy it, but do a restart on D2R and keep my charactes in D2 (for now). I play mostly tournaments anyway, where it doesn't matter. :)

Wow! Forget the refresh button, this is what will really save some time and clicking! I can't wait for this feature!
Yeah. The best feature by far. Now if we could only get a refresh screen for the shops and I'll cut my time in tournaments in half because I spend too much time running back and forth.

/ontopic I am still considering whether I buy or not. Honestly SP vs. Bnet is not such a big deal for me these days anyway.

I played the beta and it was a little laggy which I assume is server related seeing as I have a 5900x + RTX3080 - so I suspect it is most likely server related. It does look amazing at 1440p so pretty damn tempted to buy it.
It was weird...my desktop with a 1050 was hitting at 110 or more FPS, but my laptop with a 1650 was running at 45 :unsure:. Hoping it clears up for live.

Honestly SP vs. Bnet is not such a big deal for me these days anyway.
I feel very differently. D2 game play is what brings me back every time; what keeps me going after the initial spurt is the grail. If I were forced to play on bnet and offline muling became impossible, this game would not have occupied the same brain space as it has all these years. I don't want to imagine participating in something like the upcoming MFO without SPF-style muling.

Played the beta with Remedy over the weekend. Like @Grisu above, I had some issues targeting specific enemies. Don't know if that's a D2R thing or just how D2 always feels for me as my most-played builds are usually spamming right click AoE and not left click target specific. The amount of times I accidentally clicked on an unneeded / unwanted shrine was easily in the double digits after only three or four hours of play.

Wasn't getting a maxed frame rate on medium settings; sitting in town in ActII I'd be getting ~54 FPS. Not a new thing for me; I'm used to FPSes in the 40's with certain games (MHW, FFXV) thanks to an aging rig (nVidia 970 gtx). And I saw some really bad graphical bugs with a pet-focused Druid. Whenever the wolves would spawn or teleport closer, it'd often result in a horrible disco ball laser light show. Hopefully just a symptom of the beta, not the final game product or the result of an outdated graphics card.

Otherwise, the game felt pretty fine. A little bit of lag and rubberbanding, but overall it was acceptable. Connectivity felt no different than D3's always online format. Doesn't earn a pass from me on the no TCP / IP, though. Still very upset about that.

@jjscud I will probably get it on the Switch too. I wonder if there will be any way to transfer characters from Single Player PC to Switch.

Also I ran into a nasty bug (correct me if I'm remembering wrong), in D2R (Amazon with javalin on normal and switch but basic attack on primary and CS on switch), I couldn't weapon switch smoothly. I had to stop attacking, switch, and then start attacking again. I almost died several times because I would come up against a decent size pack, get into trouble, and try to switch weapons while fighting only to end up almost dead a moment later because I hadn't switched. Am I remembering that right. I'll have to fire up D2 to verify.

Yep, I'm a doufus. I messed around playing on normal D2 and sure enough, you can't weapon switch without pausing your attack. I must have been confusing it with skill switching.

I feel very differently. D2 game play is what brings me back every time; what keeps me going after the initial spurt is the grail. If I were forced to play on bnet and offline muling became impossible, this game would not have occupied the same brain space as it has all these years. I don't want to imagine participating in something like the upcoming MFO without SPF-style muling.

Played the beta with Remedy over the weekend. Like @Grisu above, I had some issues targeting specific enemies. Don't know if that's a D2R thing or just how D2 always feels for me as my most-played builds are usually spamming right click AoE and not left click target specific. The amount of times I accidentally clicked on an unneeded / unwanted shrine was easily in the double digits after only three or four hours of play.

Wasn't getting a maxed frame rate on medium settings; sitting in town in ActII I'd be getting ~54 FPS. Not a new thing for me; I'm used to FPSes in the 40's with certain games (MHW, FFXV) thanks to an aging rig (nVidia 970 gtx). And I saw some really bad graphical bugs with a pet-focused Druid. Whenever the wolves would spawn or teleport closer, it'd often result in a horrible disco ball laser light show. Hopefully just a symptom of the beta, not the final game product or the result of an outdated graphics card.

Otherwise, the game felt pretty fine. A little bit of lag and rubberbanding, but overall it was acceptable. Connectivity felt no different than D3's always online format. Doesn't earn a pass from me on the no TCP / IP, though. Still very upset about that.
Yeah and I can completely understand people that feel that way. For me personally I mainly play untwinked single-pass tournaments (rather than MFO) so missing out on muling is not that big a deal for me. I understand that missing out on TC/IP is a pretty big deal for a lot of players on this forum though and I sympathise.

The addition of ladder rune words, dclone and ubers is a dream come true for me!! They were in fact so important, that i mentioned them in a thread and in the 'survey' that a certain streamer made after the alpha.

So to see these prayers suddenly answered truly feels like our single player voices (small as they may be) were heard! Although the cynic in me also thinks that this last minute change is either to offset the removal of tcp/ip support or the lawsuit which puts additional pressure on the financial success of d2r...

These additions are indeed a little bittersweet with the loss of tcp/ip. Especially given the irony which @TopHatCat64 pointed out: we finally get the multi player content we've been looking for but at the cost of the feature (tcp/ip) which would allow us to experience it together :p

As a time traveller (feels hilarious to describe myself that way) i feel especially affected by the loss of tcp/ip. I also looked forward to trying out the SPF-MP games soon one of these days too. But in the end if i have to choose between tcp/ip and dclone/ubers, i would go ubers allllll the way!! Wahoo!

My last nit-pick is €40...that's a hefty pricetag!

Last edited:
My last nit-pick is €40...that's a hefty pricetag!
I feel your pain in that regard. I have been gifted a pre-order, as otherwise I am not sure I could have justified it without selling blood or whatnot. But the other way I look at it is that If I am playing this game till 2041 then its well worth it.

@jjscud I will probably get it on the Switch too. I wonder if there will be any way to transfer characters from Single Player PC to Switch.
Well, you could always copy your old save file in the D2R directory on your PC and then play that character on Nintendo Switch afterwards, couldn't you?

Also, does anyone know why I should preorder the game? I mean, a D3 pet as a bonus for preordering? Seriously? Not even 1$ off? 😒

Still buying, I guess...and then maybe a new desktop computer???? 🤔😅

I've been looking at system requirements and it says windows 10. Yeah lol nope, not doing that.
I know there is a section of Windows 10 hate out there, but I just don't understand it. There is a bit over a year before Windows 8.1 end of life. And with Windows 11 coming out soon people will start to migrate to that. Of course only a bunch of newer computers will physically be able to move, but its a matter of time (a bunch of years) before Windows 10 won't be supported by software as a minimum.

Remember Windows 10 is now 6 years old already. Its a nice stable thing like 7 before it and XP before that.

Also I'm one of those people who doesn't throw out old computers. I still have an XP machine and a 98 machine. So you can still do old things that way until the hardware fails.

Different topic but that price point 75NZD for me is quite steep. The open beta showing that I'd first need to spend several hundred on a video card and possibly CPU as well shows the software cost is currently a moot point!

I like the news of adding the CK, Uber Trist and DClone and Ladder RWs into single player. It does present interesting endpoint options for tournament

Also I like the underground areas. the shadowing should make places like the WSK/TOD, Durance, and Nihli's Halls more dangerous

Personally, my gaming rig is ancient and DR2 will require a replacement to make it work. Currently, I am not looking to update this PC

The dropping of P2P TCPIP really puts pay to any thoughts and private MP, self MP, and a revival of a local PvP league. Its a real shame of Blizzard. I am sure map regeneration was in the beta or will be included in the final. I would be though the inclusion of some network encryption support would allow more security.

The price tag is up there but being in lockdown at the moment I can't do anything anyway

Also I use Windows 10 Pro . I installed the 32 bit version on the PC and it seems to run D2 well as long as you use Compatibility mode and admin rights. It has only 4GB of RAM but an SSD replacement which makes all of the difference for performance on this. I would expect D2R would better support Windows 10 than D2

Well, you could always copy your old save file in the D2R directory on your PC and then play that character on Nintendo Switch afterwards, couldn't you?

Also, does anyone know why I should preorder the game? I mean, a D3 pet as a bonus for preordering? Seriously? Not even 1$ off? 😒

Still buying, I guess...and then maybe a new desktop computer???? 🤔😅

New desktops are pretty expensive at the moment - the graphics card shortage is pretty real unfortunately.

• Sad
Reactions: Babyhell
New desktops are pretty expensive at the moment - the graphics card shortage is pretty real unfortunately.
Yeah, when I built my PC this year I ended up buying a 1050TI on ebay lightly used. I lucked out and got a good one.

I know there is a section of Windows 10 hate out there, but I just don't understand it. There is a bit over a year before Windows 8.1 end of life. And with Windows 11 coming out soon people will start to migrate to that. Of course only a bunch of newer computers will physically be able to move, but its a matter of time (a bunch of years) before Windows 10 won't be supported by software as a minimum.

Remember Windows 10 is now 6 years old already. Its a nice stable thing like 7 before it and XP before that.

Also I'm one of those people who doesn't throw out old computers. I still have an XP machine and a 98 machine. So you can still do old things that way until the hardware fails.
7 was the last one that I've used and it's already been a few years since that. I don't ever see myself going back to Windows, surely not for an inferior version like 10.

Now with D2R's poor support I've cosidered the options, but it's just not worth the hassle for me personally.

I've noticed there's a single button to revert the graphics back to the old ones.
Does it still require the same requirements when you run under the old graphics?

Also, has anyone heard anything about a disc copy?
I don't know about the req if you run it on legacy graphics. I DID try to install the game on my older desktop though and it didn't let me because it recognized my graphic card as insufficient/below min requirements. So the problem would be to get the game installed at all if the graphic card can't handle the new graphics well.

I have no clue however if GPU workload drops if you switch to legacy. Has anyone checked on that during the beta?

Reactions: Excalibur
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High