Single Player D2R News round up

maxicek

Guide Author
Aug 5, 2005
I'm trying to keep this first post updated with the latest news.

If you find a bug, please report it. Blizzard forum for bug reports:

New Single Player Rules are up, including D2R

Launch Issues summary
Appears to be some problems with offline characters disappearing according to this article:

Looks like D2R Single Player will really mean alone. Despite earlier promising the feature, TCP/IP is getting removed, meaning SPF Baal runs, PvP and MP groups will be confined to 1.14 or earlier:

Also the Vanilla "I'm only using ladder RWs when Blizzard implement them" players may get a pleasant surprise:

Diablo Clone and Ubers will be available in Single Player

1 SoJ required to be sold to trigger DClone

Laying traps will not count toward the boss limit anymore!

NHAM Bug "Fixed"

GoMule support
GoMule for D2R is a branch from the original development, not developed by Silospen & Randall.

See thread about GoMule issues for D2R here:

Developers Site:

Note: Read the rules about GoMule first as this version may support feature we don't support.

Last edited:
John Remedy pointed out these news pieces to me sometime last week.

Runewords? Legitimate yay.

No TCP/IP? Unless there's some alternate method of play on their servers besides standard b(dot)net, this is what's going to cause me not to pick it up. Remedy and I play together with some frequency, but without TCP/IP I'm not keen on the known alternatives. I'm not at all interested in storing characters on their servers that [may] get deleted after 90 days of inactivity, and of course there's no muling SPF style when you don't have access to your own saves.

If they develop some sort of direct P2P option within the Blizzard launcher, it's game on. But if the only way to play MP is to use bnet, no thanks. I'll keep my 20 year-old graphics, free and easy utilization of unlimited stashes, RWM, and no worries of server outages / shutdowns.

EDIT: I should add that I'm not angry or upset; devs will do whatever they want with the game. If I were strictly a SP dude, my tune would probably be a little different. ...I might also be disappointing Remedy by not buying it, restricting our MP sessions to what might be considered the lesser version (we've not discussed in detail). And I wasn't super hyped on the remaster in the first place, so it's no big loss. The only thing that's going to hurt is the gold auto-pick. That feature alone may be the only reason why I still get it in the end; things that make LK or Trav runs more manageable by reducing clutter would be astounding. Run solo in D2R, play MP in the old version. Eh. Who knows. Probably not worth shelling out $40 for that alone.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'll be upgrading. My biggest concern at the moment is widespread reports of graphics cards running at 95% load and plenty of 85+ Celsius temps. Not interested in bricking my laptop. I can live without the fancy graphics.

Reactions: Miron
While i will most likely eventually pick up a copy, im leaning more and more towards waiting until the price drops and the (likely) launch bugs are cleaned up. Especially with the loss of self-mp via tcp/ip...

Anyone know what exactly the security issue is with this method of connection?

Anyone know what exactly the security issue is with this method of connection?
Cynical guess here, but here is my take on it.
"We can guarantee then safety over tcp/IP, and this has nothing to do with us wanting to stop pirated copies."

Edit to add:
Will the game still have open battlenet though? Or did they essentially kill all interaction between SP characters?

I'm glad that the RWM won't be needed for D2R. One less thing dividing this community is a good thing. I did hear talk of other things previously only on Bnet that would be in SP but that might just be a rumour, so time will tell if its only Runewords that are in SP proper.

As for TCP/IP I'm no security person, but hackers, especially the bad ones knowing where to get to your computer, knowing which ports are open etc is probably a bad idea. We now live in an age of 2 factor authentication, strong passwords. Things are very different to 20 years ago. I am sad to see it go as well.

Well that's a pleasant surprise.

I bit the bullet and preordered the D2/D3 combo (mostly because I do kind of enjoy playing D3 on my Switch but wanted to have it on the PC and the combined deal wasn't too bad for me)

The beta over the weekend sure did look nice though. I did give feedback that enabling the Ladder runewords was on my wishlist. Never expected that the Ubers/Pandemonium event would ever be considered.

Reactions: snickersnack
This is a big deal, and would (i'm assuming) reduce demand for non FAM stuff as its coming to an official release. Having more of us with the access to the same material officially and less divisions is something I believe is a good thing. Also all those extra stats and buffs for our characters! Once we are worthy enough to earn them

Apparently, a Blizzard community manager mentioned on r/Diablo that killing Cow King won't lock you out of the cow level in D2R.

Reactions: Helvete
Reactions: ziambe
Well that's a pleasant surprise.

I bit the bullet and preordered the D2/D3 combo (mostly because I do kind of enjoy playing D3 on my Switch but wanted to have it on the PC and the combined deal wasn't too bad for me)

The beta over the weekend sure did look nice though. I did give feedback that enabling the Ladder runewords was on my wishlist. Never expected that the Ubers/Pandemonium event would ever be considered.
I also preordered. I apparently haven't been burned enough on preorders.

If there really is no MP of any kind off bnet, I will probably not be converting my SP characters to D2R. I may just play on bnet and consider D2 and D2R as two separate games.

I played a bit over the weekend. The graphics were really nice, but shiny graphics aren't worth losing basic functionality.

What would be the best way to let Blizz know that I value off-bnet MP? (edit: ofc, I know they don't care what I think, but what's the best way to add to a pile of "MP plox!")

Very interesting!

I wonder how Uber Diablo it will be implemented on SP.
Single players generally don't have a huge trove of SoJ's to sell.
Well.. I have around 20. That means need to look for another 999999999980 I suppose...

Anyways.. ~60 keysets saved up is a gamble paid off 😁

Reactions: Miron and Kartongen
Furthermore, single-player will now also include access to the Pandemonium Event and Uber Diablo content.

What a pleasant surprise! It also somewhat scrambles my thinking about what I'd most like to do when D2R launches. I was planning on doing some HC, single pass, untwinked characters ... but now I'm thinking I might just want to run my standard restart strategy and run Ubers a.s.ap. It's been a decade since I last did Ubers or Pandemonium Diablo, it'll be great to have the option to run them again!

Also, as others have said, I wonder how Pandemonium Diablo will work in SP ... my guess would be that it might just be a random occurrence? ... I can't imagine that they'd keep it tied to SoJ sales ... I hope I'm not wrong ...

The whole SOJ thing was just trying to be a currency sink. I wonder if people actually did sell them or if a counter just randomly incremented over time? Hopefully it will have some new mechanic in our control. Time will tell :)

I suppose we should mention the elephant in the room: that all of those SoJ's being sold on Bnet were duped items. It would be really odd to continue a game mechanic that assumes that players are illicitly duping items ...

If they really wanted to keep Pandemonium Diablo tied to ring sales, perhaps they'd be open to considering Cathan's Seal sales? For some reason that idea holds a lot of appeal to me :D .

I suppose we should mention the elephant in the room: that all of those SoJ's being sold on Bnet were duped items. It would be really odd to continue a game mechanic that assumes that players are illicitly duping items ...

If they really wanted to keep Pandemonium Diablo tied to ring sales, perhaps they'd be open to considering Cathan's Seal sales? For some reason that idea holds a lot of appeal to me :D .
:LOL:. Love the cathans concept. It's like how seemingly useless things evolve to something gg in their final form (Magikarp to Gyarados in Pokemon, Wooden Sword to Unlabored Flawlessness in Ninja Gaiden etc)

Time to start playing 1.00 Classic for the SoJs everyone :)

How many of those who ran Nihil for 99 picked up keys?

Reactions: Helvete
Ladder runewords AND uber!? Awesome. :)

Btw do you guys know how the original d2 interacts with d2r? Is it like SC2 remaster where the game update was for everyone and only graphics for purchase; or would the d2r update(1.15?) only be available to those to purchase the new game?

The graphic cards are still too overpriced for my liking and i want to wait another while.

Reactions: ziambe
@Gynli Specs are my biggest worry too. I’m downloading the Beta now to try it.

I don’t expect the updated version to be available to anyone unless they purchase D2R

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High