Single Player D2R News round up

I played the beta last weekend with every setting on low. My computer is 10+ years old and it ran fairly well. Some issues with lag but I was surprised it even ran at all.

I am worried when I run a higher level character with more skills going on screen, that my computer wont be able to handle it.

Very excited about the updates with Ladder Runewords, Ubers, Dclone, and possibly Cow king.

Well on my side I will wait a bit and don't play the beta - given the current graphic prices, there are some risks to be avoided. I guess setting graphics to low/average is already a security, but I don't have spare budget to give it a try.

Ubers and DClone are somehow a surprise...hopefully it will be a realistic feature, not a simple unlock as it can be found on specific mods. Archon plate Enigma is back 😎

Infinite cow king may have an impact on future RFL, interesting point!

Still watching some streamed runs, thanks for that sharing (@Rush + ? if I'm not mistaking ?)

Reactions: Rush
Ladder runewords AND uber!? Awesome. :)

Btw do you guys know how the original d2 interacts with d2r? Is it like SC2 remaster where the game update was for everyone and only graphics for purchase; or would the d2r update(1.15?) only be available to those to purchase the new game?

The graphic cards are still too overpriced for my liking and i want to wait another while.
It is a completely separate game and has no connection to the original, except your SP characters can be moved over to it.

Depending on character limit, I'm still debating if I want to play online or not. I use a PC and a laptop, and it would be really nice to have the option to save a game on the PC, and then use that same character on the laptop without having to swap files back and forth.

D2R will not have expiring characters, at least that was the plan a few months back. The server structure is fairly reliable, but playing HC on the server still has that extra risk of a disconnect. With the recent announcement that all Ladder perks will be available for non ladder realm characters as well, it's an even bigger enticement.

Time to start playing 1.00 Classic for the SoJs everyone :)

How many of those who ran Nihil for 99 picked up keys?

I didn't pick up any keys- didn't think this day would ever come. Good thing is key farming in single player will be much better than online since there are static maps, /players, no game creation limit...

Ooh, wow. I already bought the game and eventhough I do not like the removal of TCP/IP, I'll take anni and torch. Those charms are probably going to make everything too easy now that I've accustomed to playing without them after abandoning b.net... But... Awesome, I guess?! Unexpected, at least :)

Last edited:
Just played the beta for a little while. Pre-order commence. Diablo 2 in 1080p is a dream come true and I can run it on very high on most settings. Love the new enemy models.

Reactions: ziambe
I can’t manage high but it is very playable on my 2018 MacBook Pro via Bootcamp.

I love the zoom in feature and the graphics look great. The outside areas have a bit of a painted quality, the insides are much more claustrophobic and dark. Good news is that the cap model looks more like a hood (on the Barb at least) so I may actually use this item type more.

If the Uber Diablo news is true, at least I won’t have to chase those damn chickens to Blood Raven any more for an Annihilus.

I tried the beta for 30 mins or so - Graphic setting on low is manageable for my laptop, although GPU and CPU heat up till 80°C...have to use the ventilation boost more, I guess :unsure:

Is it just me or does anybody else have problems with targeting monsters? Maybe it is a battle.net/lag thing, but maybe it is because monster models and target box fit together differently? 🤷‍♂️

Also, auto gold pick up seems to take forever - I don't know if this is intentional or a lag thing. Still convenient though.

Uber Diablo really isn't that much of a thing for me, but I guess I'll take it if it comes for free :) Ladder only RWs are great though.

Has anyone any idea, if the higher resolution is an advantage over lower resolution? Might be a thing to consider for tournaments...how did they manage the new ration and monster aggro radius, esp. since you can switch to legacy mode, where you have the reduced range of sight...

If I recall correctly we will be able to use our current saved files right?
In that case has anyone wondered how they will proceed from now on?
I mean, if you decide to use your old saved games with D2R that means you can't go back. You would be stuck in D2R.

If I recall correctly we will be able to use our current saved files right?
In that case has anyone wondered how they will proceed from now on?
I mean, if you decide to use your old saved games with D2R that means you can't go back. You would be stuck in D2R.
I have a window's desktop and a Linux laptop.

The Linux Laptop will continue be D2, I fully plan to go to D2R on the desktop.

Of course, right now I don't have any high level characters so it a easier choice.

@Grisu The grid is the same for both. Higher res does not change the amount of space you get on the screen, it all scales proportionally. You get a bit more horizontal space from widescreen proportions, you can see that when you switch to legacy graphics too.

@Excalibur The current beta is online only, but the devs said we can forward characters. I will start untwinked and then see how things go. Certainly I won’t move everything to D2R in the near future.

Reactions: Babyhell
@Excalibur The current beta is online only, but the devs said we can forward characters. I will start untwinked and then see how things go. Certainly I won’t move everything to D2R in the near future.
I am assuming that before anyone tries to forward his saved files he will make a back up of them.
Say you eventually decide to forward your characters and after a few months you regret it, what happens from this point?
Will you load your old back up files (the ones before moving to D2R) and continue playing the original D2?

Will the forum accept such a thing? Because at this point it gets complicated with duplicate saved files.

@maxicek: Thanks for the clarification! So you do have more space horizontal in D2R as compared to D2? Just watched a video in ultra wide resolution (5120x1440) and you really DO see that far horizontally. There are mobs standing idly on the far side of the screen while the barb fights a closer mob...that seems like a huge advantage for those who can afford to play at higher resolutions. It's not that it bothers me personally, but some might take it in consideration for tournament play, like allowing only certain resolutions to be played in tournament play.

Another things worth mentioning:

Gambling an item doesn't remove it from the gamble screen! That is such a convenience for untwinked single pass where I sometimes spend hours trying to find circlets while being at the lowest possible level...

Reactions: HanShotFirst
I am assuming that before anyone tries to forward his saved files he will make a back up of them.
Say you eventually decide to forward your characters and after a few months you regret it, what happens from this point?
Will you load your old back up files (the ones before moving to D2R) and continue playing the original D2?

Will the forum accept such a thing? Because at this point it gets complicated with duplicate saved files.
This will not be permitted, and never has been in the past. If you forward characters or items, you don't get to change your mind later.

Reactions: Excalibur
@maxicek: Thanks for the clarification! So you do have more space horizontal in D2R as compared to D2? Just watched a video in ultra wide resolution (5120x1440) and you really DO see that far horizontally. There are mobs standing idly on the far side of the screen while the barb fights a closer mob...that seems like a huge advantage for those who can afford to play at higher resolutions. It's not that it bothers me personally, but some might take it in consideration for tournament play, like allowing only certain resolutions to be played in tournament play.
Are you sure this is the latest Beta?

Gambling an item doesn't remove it from the gamble screen! That is such a convenience for untwinked single pass where I sometimes spend hours trying to find circlets while being at the lowest possible level...
I'm really not sure about this and was quite surprised when I found it. Getting rid of my 600m+ gold pile may actually happen, assuming GoMule gets sorted out for D2R

Wow! Forget the refresh button, this is what will really save some time and clicking! I can't wait for this feature!

The whole SOJ thing was just trying to be a currency sink. I wonder if people actually did sell them or if a counter just randomly incremented over time? Hopefully it will have some new mechanic in our control. Time will tell :)
I know for a fact that people used to sell SOJs. Back in the day when I used to play on BNET (circa 2008 or so). I used to jump in IRC to find D2Clone servers. Basically people would work together to spawn Dclone on a specific IP by selling SOJs in Non-ladder on that IP. It would then spawn for everyone that was in the correct IP address. If you pledged a certain number of SoJs you would get told the IP ahead of time. If not (and I was always cheap), they'd normally announce about 30 minutes before they would spawn it and you'd have that amount of time to get into a game with the right IP address.

Don't know if I can link the guide but if you search d2cloneirc you'll find out how it used to work.

/ontopic I am still considering whether I buy or not. Honestly SP vs. Bnet is not such a big deal for me these days anyway.

I played the beta and it was a little laggy which I assume is server related seeing as I have a 5900x + RTX3080 - so I suspect it is most likely server related. It does look amazing at 1440p so pretty damn tempted to buy it.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High