Rare Items

Danen

Sep 25, 2011
I came across a lot of exceptional or elite rare items with 5 to 6 magical attributes.

I wonder if fellow SPF'ers usually keep these or just ignore them.

If you keep these, do you intend to trade them for perfect gems?

I came across a lot of exceptional or elite rare items with 5 to 6 magical attributes.

I wonder if fellow SPF'ers usually keep these or just ignore them.

If you keep these, do you intend to trade them for perfect gems?

A good rule of thumb for "should I keep this rare?" is comparing the item to uniques/set items/runewords in the same item slot.

In general, I pick up rare belts, jewelry, gloves, boots, circlets. That's where you can potentially get a keeper that outshines uniques/sets/runewords for a particular build.

99.9% of rare weapons are going to be outshone by runewords and uniques. For physical damage characters, it would need to be ethereal with self-repair to even be in the conversation, and even then, only certain item classes. For casters, Heart of the Oak/the various elemental-specific wands and orbs are going to beat any rare orb/wand you find.

I can't see a situation where a rare shield/necro head/pally shield would ever beat out a unique/runeword. The only reason to pick one up is to potentially get +5 to a certain skill for prebuffing.

For Pvp those rare and magic wands/orbs can be good, but the chance is so low, only for collectors I guess.

You basicly have to roll +2/+3skill/+3mastery, 2 sockets, resis and 20% FC

for necro (lld) it makes no sense, just shop these and socket at larzuk

In general, I pick up rare belts, jewelry, gloves, boots, circlets.
This + bows & jewels. Be prepared to ID thousands before you find something to use on one of your builds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jocular
It's kinda pointless to pick up rare boots and belts, you can gamble them for (5-7)k with a lowlevel char (I think mine's 36) and get pretty much any mod you want (except for some stat mods I think).

Also it's not as tedious as regular gambling because you can click on something pretty much every screen.

I dunno if I'd call it pointless, I found some 20frw/36mana/22mf/cold res/lite res boots one time. But out of how many rares that I've picked up over the years?

Ditto on bows, and I would also include throwing axes. They're the best weapon type for Double throw barbs who also use Frenzy (somewhat required). Javs do more damage, but it isn't really worth it to deal with the lower quantity.

My list of rares I pick up are:

Weapons: Swords/Bows/Throwing Axes/Katars/Orbs

Helm: Circlets/Barb/Druid

Armor: None

Shield: None, tower shields every once in a while just in case I find one with Deflecting/Shimmering/2 sockets/life/mana/pdr/mdr/etc.

Gloves/Belts/Boots: All of them

All rings/amulets/jewels of course as well.

As you can see I pick up a lot of trash. Especially rare swords...but swords are cool:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Pb_pal and Danen
Depending on what I'm doing, I'll pick up any of the following:

Class specific stuff/Belts: somewhat regularly
Gloves/Boots: Regularly to often
Jewelery/jewels: Often
Swords: Almost always, especially since I started seriously pursuing HC. I have a stash full of them that I need to go through to see if I can find anything super stylish. Why? As @Jocular said; swords are cool.

Reactions: Jocular
I pick up nearly any rare, tho if weapons are noneth (and it's not a caster weap), i'm just throwing it out again without ID

some weapons like the "druid" clubs or scimitars, sabers I might also let on the ground, tho I usually pick them up anyway, just to see the trolling 450%ed selfrep cudgel lmao

I also pick up any magic ring/amulet from nightmare and above, since I 2 40% mf rings and a 50% mf amulet (I have already 2 fortious rings of chance, tho both only barely better than nagel (31,32 mf))

I pick up any rune, any flawless gem (in a playthrough also chipped for cubing demonhearts)

i pick up any magic orb in hell, for the +6 enchant orb

rare amulets are probably a waste of time(except from diablo, nilathak baal), since they can't spawn +2 char

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High