PvM 1.13 ExplosionMancer guide

Re: PvM 1.13 ExplosionMancer guide

A "pure bone mancer" doens't have points in Summoning skills.
you can put them wherever you want after the synergies are maxed.. it just happens that the damage optimal place to put them is amp damage and iron golem for merc boost

It has tanking problems and merc survivability problems compared to skelliemancers - assuming low end mercgear, bone spear damage is poor

i had no trouble starting hard core with this build, i personally think zrk is full of ****.

edit: i think the first version of this guide and the resulting discussion was a little bit better toward the un/semi-twinked person.

It was okay. The bone spears lose a lot of punch in multiplayer games, and you'll have little choice but to keep an Insight on your merc till the end of time. I'll be starting ladder with a fishy, myself.

Yes, it's a great character to start the ladder with. It really isn't gear dependent but I wanted to present what I think is optimized gear in this guide. Keep in mind that you can be a summoner/fishymancer for normal difficult and respec to this build at the start of nightmare. If you don't like the way this build feels, you can always respec back to fishymancer (they are quite different in how they play, but both are extremely powerful builds that are great for first characters - it comes down in what play-style you prefer). But it is really safe to play and solo with. You can do everything in the game except UT. Versatility is one of this build's greatest asset.

I have to wonder when people talk about "tanking problems" with this build... You have extremely powerful bone prison at your disposal.. There isn't much that breaks out of that. Also proper use of attract with clay golem and even somewhat geared merc should even make bone prison obsolete. You are doing it wrong if you don't have 100% control over what goes on your screen at all times. This can be done in all levels and the control really isn't gear dependant at all.

Also bone spear is a second-class skill to this build. It is an alternative, if you need a first corpse. You kill 98% of monsters with Corpse Explosion. I'd argue that fully maxed CE is one of the highest damaging spell even in multiplayer. You just do so much damage to everything you see continuously and constantly without failure. CE with highest fcr is just overkill.. it really needs a cooldown timer to be balanced.

Yeah it's mana intensive. That's why you get insight. To allow you to kill everything really fast. The mercenary's role is to survive, tank and give you mana and life (2xprayer with prayer merc). Insight in an ethereal elite polearm does a significant amount of damage - it's right up there with the highend polearms. Certainly more than enough for the merc to leech.

But I feel like I'm repeating myself. There are certain patterns in Diablo 2 that are really hard to brake. There are like these universal rules of D2 builds that most players won't go against. One is the usage of the highest runewords. Some just want to use them with every build - even if they are not the best items for a certain build. The second "taboo" in D2 is sorceress-like characters. With enigma, everyone can be a sorceress-wannabe. So every character is expected to teleport around casting spells. Other builds are marginalized - even if they are better suited at some tasks. Boss running is overemphasized.

I found that in breaking out of these patters I got many benefits. I got cheaper gear for my "unusual" character. I was able to exploit the often overlooked parts of the economy and gain wealth much faster than by doing what everyone else did. Above all, I got a very interesting playing experience with a build that was more efficient on certain tasks.

But going against the mainstream is not an easy task. There are a lot of people who won't think from themselves and are ready to comment based on their original assumption about "the one truth" - rather than their sincere evaluation about the discussed topic.

But I've said my piece and stressed my point of view as well as I have known how. There is little to add - so I won't reply anymore. It brings me joy that my findings have given many of the readers new experiences. Hopefully my small contribution can help some readers - like many guides have helped me.

EDIT: One last thing. I noticed that this guide has over 7,000 views. However, the youtube video I posted about the build has only little over 400 views. This leads me to conclude that my original build was maybe too long and only a minority of viewers read the whole thing. Maybe this video speaks louder than words, so I'll embed it.

[YOUTUBE]N8ZNMc3JX5s[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Hey, let them abide and kneel before the universal rules. More power, or diversity on economy in this case, to you. :thumbup:

Got my necro to lvl 89 and soon to be lvl 90.

I like this build because there's literally nothing that you can't kill. Baal runs are great because you can cast attract on Gloams, and they don't live long enough anyway due to the maxed out CE. Decrip and Clay golem make Baal look like a slideshow. I have a Fleshripper on switch for slow target, CB, and -% def.

The merc has an Insight in a Colossus Voulge, with Duress and Andy's face. I could use a bit more CB but fleshripper takes care of that. He can hold his own except for the hydras at Travincal.

Even with the mass bone spear and CE I never run out of mana due to the Insight + the fact that it only takes 2-3 CE to wipe out a room.

bonjour

I'm at lvl88 on sc non-ladder, just a few comments, I've probably had 30hours time on this char by now

(a) I had zero kit (1st char in d2 for AGES, so literally had crap - 'lore' circlet + sigons guard etc, until finding tal rashas armour & getting donated a few nice bits)
(b) I had absolutely zero problems with most of the game up to the start of hell - absolute ripped through it, CE rocks

latter stages of hell are a pain without some resist gear and a decent amount of +skills, but I guess most builds are like that

but nice build, like how it plays, crowd control is a non-issue with bone prison and attract, dmg is a non-issue with AD & max CE, getting the first corpse down can be a bit slow if the merc isn't up to it or bspear hasn't a few bonuses from kit

with a few +skills it really "comes alive" (if a necro can do that) as the area of amp dmg & CE grows to cover more of the screen - there's almost a threshold of about +5 skills (ish) where it starts speeding up a lot, and Bspear gets decent enough dmg (1.5 - 2k)

insight isn't an option off ladder - lots of blue pots needed!

looking for Io now to make a White wand, and to pick up some decent gloves & belt

I have to wonder when people talk about "tanking problems" with this build... You have extremely powerful bone prison at your disposal.. There isn't much that breaks out of that. Also proper use of attract with clay golem and even somewhat geared merc should even make bone prison obsolete. You are doing it wrong if you don't have 100% control over what goes on your screen at all times. This can be done in all levels and the control really isn't gear dependant at all.
Sure in absolute terms the necro is great at that, curses own and bonewall/prison too; though relative to skelliemancer the merc takes a lot of heat in this build - and easy for an untwinked merc(little to no leech, low resists and def) to die in hell.

About the CE though, in areas with a lot of fire immunes especially, and p8 games, is where its limitations start to show. a very high damage source is necessary to prevent being bottle necked in getting corpses - and this directly the reason bonemancers underperform summoners in CS

The one problem I'm having with this build is that I haven't found good enough gear for my merc yet. Once he dies, I have no Meditation, and I have to high-tail it back to town to res him, since CE sucks up my Mana so fast. But when he's up, I'm un-f'ing-stoppable.

hey, i've been having great success with this build and would like to share my finding. i loved your idea of using attract, but after using it for a while, i was unsatisfied with how it worked (only one monster cursed) and it's pathetic radius. i decided to give confuse a try and it did everything that i wanted attract to do with a bigger cast radius. my only problem with confuse is that it seems not to work on SU packs (seal boss packs, baal wave pack monsters) which attract would work on. i get around this by spamming prison more and locking them down.

just wanted to share my little insight, congrats again on the guide.

i just love this build.. its versatile it can clear the whole game solo and most important its fun to play with! a well equipped merc helps but absolutly no must!!! mine is wearing tals mask (pgems) shaftstop (pgems) and an insight CV (non eth even).

Attract and confuse both shine for me and i dont mind using either one of them! espessially putting attract on one of the lister pack makes it a lot easier to down them!

Bone armor is a nice skill to have and Clay golem is slowing things down as he should be!

Again i love this build! :thumbup:

I've noticed ALOT of good responses to this build... I vote that we try to sticky it! Also, once my Diablo II gets working again I am going to try this build. It looks fun and I'd love to try it.

I've noticed ALOT of good responses to this build... I vote that we try to sticky it! Also, once my Diablo II gets working again I am going to try this build. It looks fun and I'd love to try it.

I agree with the sticky vote.

Playing this untwinked, I am having some problems. I think most of it is just getting the hang of things, in terms of managing bone prisons vs. keeping merc alive vs. cursing vs. mana management vs. corpse explosion.

I have never tried bone prison before, and I have to admit I am a big fan of it. It is tough to aim, and sometimes renders the merc useless, but he's more of a tank than a weapon, really. I'm a little skeptical of bone spear's viability when hell comes around, but I think once I get some OK gear and get used to playing this build, it will flexible and powerful enough to be my main MF character. Right now I'm running around in nightmare durance trying to find a homonculous, and I might be wrong, but this is kind of a rough area for this build. the layout of the place makes CE tough to use real effectively, I am getting a lot of those fireball/meteor vampires who always seem to happen to have a little pillar or chest or something between them and the exploding corpse. but i dont think theres a build out there doesnt have an area or two that give them problems.

So, I respeced my Poisonmancer for this build... Best decision ever. It is much more fun, I have yet to die (appx 1.3k hp) and it does "good" damage (ofc based on monster hp).

@Beware: NM durance I think a meterorb sorc could do it.. But you are untwinked.... Try getting a White with +1 or higher to CE or Bspear... curses are a bonus :)

Boy is it fun being able to kill everything without problems...

So, I respeced my Poisonmancer for this build... Best decision ever. It is much more fun, I have yet to die (appx 1.3k hp) and it does "good" damage (ofc based on monster hp).

@Beware: NM durance I think a meterorb sorc could do it.. But you are untwinked.... Try getting a White with +1 or higher to CE or Bspear... curses are a bonus :)

Boy is it fun being able to kill everything without problems...

I'm thinking maybe a good thing to do is to shift gears and go with NM cows and just pray a CE doesnt wax the king.

@Beware: Do you have friends that still have NM cows? Because if you do, killing the king wont be the end of the... cow mfing. Just ask them to open the portal and then they can leave, you kill, loot, rinse, repeat. At least, I think that will work.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High