PvM 1.13 ExplosionMancer guide

Re: PvM 1.13 ExplosionMancer guide

Hello, gg build!

I just want to make this (well, right now in the process of lol, he is in act 3) explosionmancer on Single Player.

Hoping he can do it....even tho I respecced to soon +_+

Wat is the poor gear for him?

poor gear for my guy was as good a white as i could get and any plus skills i could throw on him. some highlights are:

- splendor, lidless, spirit for shield (lidless is great for the mana per kill, though you dont get max block)
- about 3 different types of white in increasing quality (dol io are so easy to find now)
- lore helm
- loads of saphire'd stuff in the beginning because mana is everything.
- spirit sword for a long time, even bone didnt offer me the right things for a while, i needed mana mana mana.
- whatever +skills you can get on armor, some are difficult to find when you need them if you're untwinked. i found spirit shroud pretty early so i went with that.

^ single player, so no spirit shield/sword :-\

umes lament if you can find it, otherwise shop for a nice wand. boneshade unique is pretty good too.

dol+io can be found via nm countess running I believe, plus about an hour or so of shopping at drognan to locate a decent base wand, +3 bonespear / corpse explode minimum with whatever else you can find as a bonus

anything with +skills on the shield, sigons shield, lidless, etc. or resist if you need it. problem here, is homonculus is just so good as to be unmissable.

boots, tearhaunch are probably another good substitute with +resist and some stats, or some rare boots with resist/mana.

rings, I had several magic prismatics for a long while before finding a rare FCR, and I'm still looking for something better than the prismatic now. stats&resist are probably more important than FCR here to begin with. FCR only really helps with the bonespears. curses/bone prison/CE, pah, who cares. Same goes for an amu, +skills is good, resist is good, stats are good, FCR is good but not the top of my list. I used a +2 poison/bone amu for a long time.

stealth runeword is great for armour in early game with only lvl17 req

^ single player, so no spirit shield/sword :-\

all of the advice i recommended was based upon my SP HC nec.

ok, a couple of thoughts on FCR

the two relevant breakpoints for this build are 75 and 125

now, my maths gives

amulet 15
skins 30
white 20
ring 10
ring 10
arach 20
magefist 20

to get 125

But, crafted amulets no longer give 15% FCR. Leaving us 5 FCR points short of the breakpoint.

I guess this means a little more flexibility in gear choice, or to get that 125 breakpoint there have to be other changes.

Any suggestions? The only obvious answer I can think is to lose the shako and associated MF bonus, lose the FCR amulet (or a ring) and get 20FCR circlet with +2 necro & resists?

edit: boneshade wand gives 25FCR I think - so that's probably the simplest. I haven't done the math but it must be fairly close on damage to white if not quite as huge, as it can give up to +5 to spear (vs +8... dont think the synergies will change). This could even socket a fire RBF for to boost CE.

Last edited:

But, crafted amulets no longer give 15% FCR.

Wait, what? When did this change?

The amulet was a really expensive part of the gear, anyway. You could just go with the 75 fcr breakpoint or circlet/spirit/wizardspike etc etc (there are lots of options, really). Although I have stressed why my original setup is the best in the guide (safety combined with damage), it's up to the player, obviously. But it's hard to get max resists, max block, life&mana, MF and high damage at the same time otherwise.

latest patch I guess, d3wiki site lists 10% as max from crafted amulet now.

"Potentially the best possible amulet for a sorceress or necro can be made with this recipe. This item was toned way down in v1.09, with the potential bonuses for all 3 preset stats dropping quite a bit. An example can be seen here. "

"Caster Amulet #1
Preset Mods:
4-10% Regenerate Mana
+10-20 Mana
Faster Cast 5-10% "

bit annoying really, as your 'best' gear setup was quite a neat solution all round and the crafted amulet nerfing has sort of broken it: spirit route needs high str and that rules out max block from homunc (unless vit is sacrificed), circlet loses the life/mana off shako, substitute for white loses dmg

Last edited:

^ actually, ignore all that, I've misunderstood things. I just realised the crafting guide is only listing the fixed mod.

So you can get 5-10% from a fixed mod, and roll an "of the apprentice" suffix, granting 15-20% fcr total.

What can I say, it's been a long week (already).

i am using this build its great and i dont need to waste time at start to make an army .
I am Getting the gear you recomnded to start from , and it works , range of CE is a bit low still , and spear does little dmg and i have little hp , becos need a few more items i think .

But i have a rlly rlly big problem with it ... "MERC" it dies not fast it dies INSTANTLY its not that i dont heal him i dont have time ... in diablo place in act4 if there are a couple of mages his dead instantly , or i just used wp to get in act 5 to the 2 wp to make the first quest you know lazruk one , like in video ... but he just got nuked instantly by those archers ... Atm i have insight and talrasha helm and duriel armor , i know its not perfect but still he dies to fast ... his lvl 83 btw ... Tryed holy freeze aura one works tbh better . but i miss of course the heal ... but same problem the speed with which they die ... rlly someone explain what im doing wrong cos i am doing smthing ... Thanks a lot !

Last edited:

i am using this build its great and i dont need to waste time at start to make an army .
I am Getting the gear you recomnded to start from , and it works , range of CE is a bit low still , and spear does little dmg and i have little hp , becos need a few more items i think .

But i have a rlly rlly big problem with it ... "MERC" it dies not fast it dies INSTANTLY its not that i dont heal him i dont have time ... in diablo place in act4 if there are a couple of mages his dead instantly , or i just used wp to get in act 5 to the 2 wp to make the first quest you know lazruk one , like in video ... but he just got nuked instantly by those archers ... Atm i have insight and talrasha helm and duriel armor , i know its not perfect but still he dies to fast ... his lvl 83 btw ... Tryed holy freeze aura one works tbh better . but i miss of course the heal ... but same problem the speed with which they die ... rlly someone explain what im doing wrong cos i am doing smthing ... Thanks a lot !

1. Use Dim Vision on archers.
2. Give him a Shaftstop

well its not only archers i said it as an example ... as for doing smthing i can do much staff make them atack each other dim vision , make them more slower , heal merc . Its that usually i dont have the chance ... i mean is there something wrong in his gear? or maybe his to low lvl or smthing else , Thanks for reply tough !

Wow, I honestly didn't understand one word of it. If proper English is a problem (and I'm not criticizing, my English is far from perfect), at least try to right an understandable sentense.

Anyway, let's start slow:
1. What lvl is your Merc?
2. What are his resists?
3. What exactly is he dying to?

ok ok im sorry .
Im lvl 83 my merc is lvl 83 aswell . He is healing merc combat one . He is dieng fast when i think he is being focused by mages/archers or even melee . For example my golem , never ever die , without life leach and potion he never dies . But merc dies fast resist are max 25 . He has insight weapon , duriel armor and talrasha helm . 1700 hp or around it with cta 3000 . Its that he or has full hp and its ok or if his in center i meansomehow starts combat first and is focused dies rlly rlly fast . For example in crystaline passage he risks very much ... Im trying to get him those nice armor wep and helm i have no doubt then he will be okay , but until then his a bit fragile ... Its a problem because i couldve go without him golem is enough ... But he gives me mana ....

Im apologise for my terrible english

Glad to have the amulet thing cleared up! :)

ok ok im sorry .
Im lvl 83 my merc is lvl 83 aswell . He is healing merc combat one . He is dieng fast when i think he is being focused by mages/archers or even melee . For example my golem , never ever die , without life leach and potion he never dies . But merc dies fast resist are max 25 . He has insight weapon , duriel armor and talrasha helm . 1700 hp or around it with cta 3000 . Its that he or has full hp and its ok or if his in center i meansomehow starts combat first and is focused dies rlly rlly fast . For example in crystaline passage he risks very much ... Im trying to get him those nice armor wep and helm i have no doubt then he will be okay , but until then his a bit fragile ... Its a problem because i couldve go without him golem is enough ... But he gives me mana ....

Im apologise for my terrible english

I'm happy that you found my guide helpful.

I think Duriel's Shell and Tal Rasha's mask should be enough to keep your merc alive most of the time. IF you have a good insight! What was the base weapon of your insight? You should at least have an elite base item, preferably ethereal. Otherwise the damage of the weapon is too small, and your merc can't leech enough to stay alive.

Here is one way of getting a nice insight for your merc relatively easily. Look for ethereal colossus voulges. They can only have 4 sockets so you can use the Larzuk quest on an ethereal colossus voulge and you will have 4 sockets 100% of the time. Because of the +15 strenght from Duriel's Shell, your merc can meet the strenght requirement (200) of an ethereal Colossus Voulge a lot sooner. It's a nice and cheap combo which kept my merc alive when leveling! But keep on using curses (attract or dim vision) to help your merc!

Oh, and plain ethereal colossus voulges used to cost 1 ist. I remember buying one and rolling a lvl 17 meditation aura insight on it. I sold it for 3 ist and bought another plain ethereal weapon, rolled lower insight and used that. It was okay for the time being and I used the two ists to get some more important gear that time :) So buying an ethereal colossus might be a smart move for you in a couple of ways! :)

Hope it helps! Keep blowing things up!!

Last edited:

i see then i need get the wep ... well ill do everything to find one better asap , i know ill start to be off topic but incase someone can give me advice .
Lazruk i used mine to socket the items you said must be socketed, so the only way is to level alts? I wonder can i buy it here on forums , how much would it cost ? I need it 3 more times i supose for all 3 items of my merc .
Also for weapon do they sell such voulges here also or you got ingame ? I wonder if i could try buy for 3 ists already such wep seems to be lot easier ?
Anyway thanks a lot ill try get a better weapon :)

you said colosus vulge what about cryptic axe eth , or thresher eth aswell ? are those same better or worse choices ?

If you read his post again he said this:
"You should at least have an elite base item, perferably ethereal."

(Elite based item: Colossus Voulges, Cryptic Axe, Giant Threasher and so on...)

He mentions Colossus Voulges because they are the only elite polearms that gets 4 sockets from the larzuk quest.

And yes. You can buy the base weapon here on the forums. Check out the trade forum.

Good luck.

If you have the currency, the easiest way to get a nice insight is to use the trading forums here. Be sure to read the rules, first. Three ists was the price for a really nice lvl 17 meditation aura insight, I'm sure you can get a nice one cheaper (it's later in the ladder, too). Just make a thread like "ISO ethereal elite insight" and I'm sure you'll get lots of offers. Any ethereal elite insight weapon works really fine, actually, but cryptic axes and colossus voulges are most popular, I'd say.

I'm curious, what kind of weapon you were using until now?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High