PvM 1.13 ExplosionMancer guide

Re: PvM 1.13 ExplosionMancer guide

@Beware: Do you have friends that still have NM cows? Because if you do, killing the king wont be the end of the... cow mfing. Just ask them to open the portal and then they can leave, you kill, loot, rinse, repeat. At least, I think that will work.

i think whenever i see that fence i'll just run the other way and play it safe. but after doing some research, nm cows aint too bad a place to go digging for stuff. not sure what runes can drop but if i read it right heavens light, arachnids, and some other good stuff can drop.

@Beware: Hmm, mabye I should go on a rampage there.... :) Is there a way that you can farm Hell Andi for it? or Hell Countess (Unsure of her highest possible drops but she drops runes). Or NM/Hell Trav? Hell CS? (Just throwing out good rune areas). Since you are able to kill everything, it shouldn't be a problem... except for getting there.

Hell andy wouldnt be a good idea. Setting aside her being among the best merc killers in the game, homonculus is treasure class 54. Not sure what andys tc is but its probably around 80. That means she has a wide range of drops which decreases the chance of finding it. Thats why i was doing durance cuz its tc is 54. I guess nightmare chaos would be best for now.

One more vote to sticky this thread!

I'm having a blast with my Necro (currently lvl 55 in Act 5 NM). Have to admit - it's a great fun playing him. I decided to go with bone skills from the start (not the summons and then respec) so it was a kind of a grind until I could shove Insight in to my merc's hands, but after that - total domination \0/

I've got a question though: I've already maxed BP and finishing maxing BS, BW and CE are next in line, but should I grab Decrepify before that? So far I have 'White' in base wand with +2 BSpear/+1 Attract, so can save 3 skillpoints there, and with Ume's on switch for bosses (it has Decrep) things go nice and smooth. But in Hell it could be very handy to have Decrep readily available without switching (some nasty monster packs there X_X).
So what fo you think - stick with Attract and use BP more (never had to use it so far), or wait with maxing BW/CE and grab Decrep first?

Oh, and thanks for this guide, Mouseman! ^_^

It's funny but I never ever thought of using Corpse explosion as a main attack skill until reading this. It's a very interesting build and corpse explosion is my favorite skill in the entire game so I will have to try this very soon.

One more vote to sticky this thread!

I'm having a blast with my Necro (currently lvl 55 in Act 5 NM). Have to admit - it's a great fun playing him. I decided to go with bone skills from the start (not the summons and then respec) so it was a kind of a grind until I could shove Insight in to my merc's hands, but after that - total domination \0/

I've got a question though: I've already maxed BP and finishing maxing BS, BW and CE are next in line, but should I grab Decrepify before that? So far I have 'White' in base wand with +2 BSpear/+1 Attract, so can save 3 skillpoints there, and with Ume's on switch for bosses (it has Decrep) things go nice and smooth. But in Hell it could be very handy to have Decrep readily available without switching (some nasty monster packs there X_X).
So what fo you think - stick with Attract and use BP more (never had to use it so far), or wait with maxing BW/CE and grab Decrep first?

Oh, and thanks for this guide, Mouseman! ^_^

i used ume's on switch for a while and i didnt like it much. it didnt last long enough vs bosses, i was constantly having to switch back to it. it broke my rhythm for spearing. also as you said a hard point in decrep gives you a "holy s#!t!" curse when a fast moving pack of champs comes at you. prison is great for those, but i have grown leery of using prison too often with fast movers because i've caught myself in it with them more than a couple times. i now lead with a curse no matter what, then decided if prison is needed by how nasty they are. there are still cases (like seal bosses and some of baal's waves) where i lead with prison, but generally it slows me down more often. everything's dead and i have to wait on it to go away to move on or check drops.

i once again suggest to everyone to try out confusion too. i have found it loads better i also decided to man up and put a hard point into it and decrep, that let me change my gear around w/o having to worry about respecing.

i used ume's on switch for a while and i didnt like it much. it didnt last long enough vs bosses, i was constantly having to switch back to it. it broke my rhythm for spearing. also as you said a hard point in decrep gives you a "holy s#!t!" curse when a fast moving pack of champs comes at you. prison is great for those, but i have grown leery of using prison too often with fast movers because i've caught myself in it with them more than a couple times. i now lead with a curse no matter what, then decided if prison is needed by how nasty they are. there are still cases (like seal bosses and some of baal's waves) where i lead with prison, but generally it slows me down more often. everything's dead and i have to wait on it to go away to move on or check drops.

i once again suggest to everyone to try out confusion too. i have found it loads better i also decided to man up and put a hard point into it and decrep, that let me change my gear around w/o having to worry about respecing.

Well, in case of bosses I just don't switch from Ume's to 'White' - I lose killing speed but it saves the trouble of switching back and forth :)

Anyway, I decided to go with a hard point in Decrep because if I find a perfect wand for this build I could always respec, right? And since chances of acquiring this perfect wand are slim, those 3 skillpoints seem to be points well spent - survival first!

very true on the respecs though i've used 4 on my guy trying to get him "just right". i finally decided on not using white or a nec head so that affected my skill selection. i really like having +all skills for this build over loading up on just +bone. the golem and curses really benefit.

Confuse! try it!

So compared to the fishymancer, what is better/worse?

I find my fishymancers problems are killing bosses to slowly and having to run around. Also the merc AI can be really dumb.

Meanwhile, this relies less on merc and kills bosses faster, but survivability might be an issue?

Currently my necro has shako, homonc, +1 necro ammy with resists, arachs, bloodfists, alibaba/spirit sword, waterwalks, raven frost, and a rare ring with resists, life, mana. merc has eth CV insight.

Think I should stick as a fishy or that this build will do better?

So compared to the fishymancer, what is better/worse?

I find my fishymancers problems are killing bosses to slowly and having to run around. Also the merc AI can be really dumb.

Meanwhile, this relies less on merc and kills bosses faster, but survivability might be an issue?

Currently my necro has shako, homonc, +1 necro ammy with resists, arachs, bloodfists, alibaba/spirit sword, waterwalks, raven frost, and a rare ring with resists, life, mana. merc has eth CV insight.

Think I should stick as a fishy or that this build will do better?

I say try it. You could always respec back if you don't like it, so why not?

It's definitely different from Fishymancer - faster and more active - but I can't say that this build is much less safe. Between Bone Armour, Bone Wall, Bone Prison, Decrepify and Attract (and Confuse, of which crawlingdeadman seems to be a great fan ^_^) you really have all the tools to stay alive. And it's fun.

I like Fishy when I just wanna relax a little bit with the game, take my time, open every chest and kick every barrel while my skellies are getting themselves busy. And this one is for running and gunning kinda stuff.

So, yeah... my 2 pennies worth ^_^

Fishymancer is more passive yes, but you can make it active (via using a lv 1 teeth :D) But the explosion mancer takes the "Oh damn, I actually have to play for once" theme into a funnier fashion, especially when you can hit enemies 18+ yards away. Mine has a little less fcr and does a little more damage. But fcr might me more important... oh well :)

Boss fights for me are fairly fast, assuming that it's not baal and teleporting is not possible (nor is burning your mana >.>) Insight helps, but it's not instant, time must pass for mana...

i have zero trouble with baal with the following method: run around the corner, cast clay golem on him, then decrep, then i walk past him so the merc can get to him. i stand right outside his mana burn range and spear him to death. it's not the fastest thing, but with decrep and golem (really the main reason to have a golem is for bosses) he doesnt teleport, doesnt put up a clone and rarely even hits my merc let alone actually kill him.

Diablo was actually much harder to get a handle on, but finally i just man'd up and tanked him. if you get melee range his hose of death wont hurt you and his physical attack is pathetic compared to your bone armor. you really have to watch out for his inferno though, it can still kill you if you have low life and/or fire res. it does an amazing amount of damage if you bathe in it.

My explosionmancer recently achieved level 84, same as my fishymancer. And it was pretty creepy when he was running around with low resistances, having to Bone Prison everything mainly to avoid elemental attacks. But whenever he's afraid of fire, he wears a pair of Hellmouth war gauntlets and a Nokozan Relic amulet. It worked really well against Diablo, but the physical part of the fire still hurt a little bit. And the lightning hose hurt a lot, as Diablo trapped my necromancer in a bone cage near the end of the battle. (The necromancer was trying to close to melee range after the time ran out for the revived doom knights, but Diablo dodged him.)

I hope I'll find a Thundergod's Vigor so I can scoff at lightning as well, but at the very least i hope that I'll remember to renew my Bone Armor next time I go up against Diablo. My plan was to have the stream of hits from his lightning activate the 'Bone' Bone Armor, but apparently the lightning and the firestorm count as spells and not as attacks, unlike fires burning on the ground. Cost me a few full rejuvs, but that's what they are for. (Now I have too many again. Sell them? But they are life!)

After getting better resistances and stealing the fishymancer's rare +2 skills +1 Revive head* I don't use Bone Prison quite as often. I've found that revives are much handier for keeping the enemies at bay, and without a dozen skeletons to get in their way, they can usually keep up. And it's just plain fun to have six frenzytaurs running around looking for things to kill. (Or things to tank, I guess. Even with quite a lot of revives ganging up on a single enemy it's unlikely that they'll do more than soften up the target for me or the rogue mercenary.)

* Got that head from Anya, and she gave my explosionmancer a +1 skills +2 Bone Spear head. It sure is nice when quest rewards are useful.

My one and only curse is Amplify Damage, and rather than spending points on other curses I would increase the radius of Amplify Damage so that I could curse monsters off screen before blowing up a corpse at the edge of the screen. But Bone Spear synergies have a higher priority, so I'll just settle for what I get with a single hard point. Lately most of my real trouble have been piercing attacks from off screen. Souls, vipers and slingers. And to a lesser extent Spike Fiends, whose attacks don't pierce, but are pretty difficult to see. Makes me really miss a maxed Dim Vision, but that would eat waaay too many Bone Spear synergy points.

I'm using a Gull dagger socketed with a rare jewel (+18% lightning resistance, +9% magic find) on the main weapon switch, and Golemlord wand and head on the 'summon Clay Golem' switch. I guess that with revives I don't really need the golem as much as I used to, but since I do most killing with Corpse Explosion it doesn't make much sense to switch out the Gull dagger for anything but an awesome White wand, and my only available base wand is a +3 Bone Spear wand, with no other skills. They say that killing speed is more important than magic find, but it doesn't really help when it's the sifting through loot that really slows me down. (OK, so having less magic and rare items to pick up might speed me up, but ...)

@Crawling: that's a good point... I just happen to almost always be too close... mabye I should back off and spam...

Diablo, was an easy enough tactic (I don't even have my golem.. respeced and forgot about him...). I elimitated the seals like a normal person.. then I just spammed... When he charged I moved a little and kept spamming. it was quite fast... I do appx. 3.8k? (I forget after CTA prebuff) so it goes by fairly fast. Ugh, getting to lv 92 is a pain... Well, mabye I should play all day... and get half a level :p

I'm about to start my explosionmancer, but I have question.
I was shopping for some wands and ran across these three, and I would like to know which would be the best for my necro.

All are white or 2 open socket.

Wand #1: +3 Bonespear

Wand #2:+3 Corpseexplosion

Wand #3: +2 Bonespear/+2 Corpseexplosion

Any help is greatly appreciated.

personally, i'd go with number 2 from what you have, but i'd still shop around for better. fortunately, dol and io drop like mad nowadays and are pretty useless for much else.

Going on the basis of being willing to sacrifice max block if need be for retaining resists and FCR, what would be the recommendation for retaining damage and FCR, as that amulet will be a bugger to craft? I'm seeing any old +skills (maybe 3/10 fcr if I can gamble/trade for it) amulet, same shield for mass resists, and perhaps Spirit in a longsword/crystal sword/broadsword for FCR and FHR? It'd add a lot of mana too, some life, at the cost of what, about 900 BS damage?

i've been using a spirit monarch. i was leery of it because it's not the safest shield, but it has pretty much everything you could want on this build. it does miss out on some extra +skills that would come from a good head, though. if you find a good base, try splendor. i also used lidless for quite a while on my guy. it has insane amounts of mana per kill which keeps you rolling (nearly) as well as insight does.

Hi again! I decided to check this guide after a long time and I was positively surprised by the amount of positive feedback! So nice to hear!

It's interesting how people try different things with a build and use the build to suit their own playstyle. While this is a good thing I want to further stress some points.

Survivalibility. The main point of this build, in the beginning, was to be a HC character that could not die. And it achieves it, if you play it safe. Of course, you can sacrifice safety for damage but the big question you need to ask yourself is this: does this really make myself faster? I find that going steady is faster than sprinting and retreating etc. So as long as you keep your resists at max, have max block and bone armor up, you are unstoppable (with prayer mercenary you don't need to drink potions, ever). Take a look at the video - Hell Diablo couldn't hurt my character with any of his attacks.

Also, even if a build can solo the game untwinkable, it doesn't mean you can get ahead of your level and dominate. As a golden rule of HC, don't get ahead of your level. You need to have a little bit of patience. If you are having trouble, really focus on the safety side of your build. Keep any resist charm you find in your inventory, even the crappy ones. My number one priority is always safety: max resists and max block with up and running bone armor. This way I was able to clear NM quite easily - though I used a lot more bone prison than in Hell, where I had better gear. But really, try to get homonculus.. it's a GREAT shield and it's not that expensive (usually you can trade it at least after NM hellforge). With that you can achieve max block and max resists really easily - and that will make your journey more safe and thus faster and more enjoyable. Keep in mind that it's an awesome shield for mana problems and adds nice bonus to curses, too (and it's strenght requirement is 100 lower than spirit's).

Another thing is using confuse instead of attract. While confuse is great, it doesn't really work well with amplify damage. One of the greatest things with attract is that you can curse one or two monsters and amplify damage the rest. That will keep the mob relativily still with clay golem and mercenary. And when you get your first corpse, you can start the chain of explosions without re-cursing the mob from confusion to amplify damage. Because amplify damage really works wonders with corpse explosion. But each to his own.

I'm glad that people describe this build as active and versatile. This build is really about how it feels to play. I felt tough, unstoppable and merciless. You go alone, no one can stop you and you have solution to every problem. No need to beg for help, no more.

Last edited:

Indeed it is a fun/interesting build. That said, if I were to start ladder all over, i might go with a cookie cutter to MF with. My game plan was to just get a character that could survive well and run around with around 200 or so MF. I got lucky and stumbled upon a Gull dagger, so i'm halfway there. I decided to go with an explosionmancer, who is now around level 75 if i remember right. basically just doing NM pindle and chaos runs, but hasnt netted me much, but admittedly, the drops in 1 player games arent too good.

i've dabbled in hell somewhat, but need better gear for both me AND my merc before hell is viable, even at level 75.

the thing i learned most from this build, however, is how helpful bone prison is. immensely helpful in pindle runs and in chaos when those super fast venom lords show up. without it, golem and merc are done in 2 seconds at most.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High