PvM 1.13 ExplosionMancer guide

Re: PvM 1.13 ExplosionMancer guide

Thanks again for the interesting discussion. Hope that the video helped to visualize the build some, even if it hasn't got any comments on it, so far :)

I'm pretty sure Dim Vision works about as well as attract, except that attract pulls monsters in which is great for CE. I'm not that sure, though, if I would sacrifice 2 more points to get attract if I wouldn't get it from my wand already. Maybe it would be best just to take Amplify Damage and Dim Vision and use +decreptify wand on switch for bosses, for untwinked play.

I think those extra rare items found only at normal act 4 or so are one of the reason why Diablo 2 keeps us playing after 10 years. Just for the record, what areas are capable of dropping +bs, +attract, +decreptify wands?

I had an idea about fightning vs Uberdiablo. If you haven't got the best of gear (enough to reach 125% fcr with nice damage), would it be worth to have a Blackbog's on switch for Poison Dagger/Poison Nova to further counter the life regeneration of Uberdiablo? Poison Nova has only 2 seconds duration, so probably not, and I'm not sure if you could land a hit with Poison Dagger. Something to think about still, maybe?

BTW, does anybody have any idea why they increased Corpse Explosion damage in 1.13? It was already one of the most devastating skills in the game, but now it's even better. And that's because you can do any type of necromancer and have 20 points in CE, because it doesn't need any synergies. It's crazy. Maybe they should synergize it with Poison Explosion and nerf it down a little bit. Although I love it just the way it is, but so does the paladins love their hammers.

Any wand that can drop with Decrepify and Attract can also drop with Bone Spear, it's only if you want Corpse Explosion that the wand can't have a too high ilvl.

My take on the CE boost is that it was necessary not on it's own, but compared to the death sentry from the assassin, which gives CE with less management needed, and better options to get the first kill. Before 1.13, the only advantage to the necro CE was the bigger range, compared to much less mana consumption and micromanagement with DS. This also made necro CE a little too mana-intensive in multiplayer games (you need 3x more mana according to your original post). The boost in CE damage adresses both these issues imho.

Another question about the build: Isn't Bone Spirit more damaging than bone spear for single targets (read act bosses)? Seems like this is as valid a choice of synergy as teeth is, depending on what you plan to do with the char. Teeth is better for rushing normal, while Bone spirit will add more killing power for bosses.

Since it's not fully synergized, I think it might. I know a fully Synergized Bone Spear beats out a fully Synergized Bone Spirit in terms of damage around slvl 40.

@ kardinaal, that's a valid reason to boost CE damage. It just still feels almost too good to be true. Or rather, so easy. With all the other builds I've tried the killing part is harder. With melee characters you have to hit each target you kill. Meteorb has to switch between spells according to immunities and worry about those fire&cold immune monsters. Javazons have to jab those lightning immune monsters and even hammerdins has first to get his hammers flying to kill anything and hitting a single target is not always guaranteed. With CE you always hit every target withing range. I don't know many spells that can damage every monster in your screen in an instant. Maybe fully geared auradin comes close with the ease of killing monsters?

If you blow up a monster with 10k life and there's 20 monsters around, you can do up to 240k damage with one click. And that's without amplify damage, which I left out because most of hell monsters have some physical and fire resists that I didn't calculate. Of course, not all hell monsters have 10k life, but the effect is the same - they all go down quickly. And because monster hitpoints are multiplied only by 450% with 8 players by game, you are still a killing machine even in 8 player game. You just need 4-5 CE to kill everything instead of 1. I think explosionmancer is less slowed down by 8 players in the game than most of the builds out there.

What surprised me in some games is that people were asking what build I am and how can necro kill everything so fast. They didn't even know what CE was and kept asking my damage. When they didn't understand the 70-120% of monster health damage, I sometimes said "10k-200k damage each click" and they didn't believe me :)

About the bone spear vs bone spirit. You have to be a really high level to max the bone spirit and the damage isn't comparable because your +bone spear gear. The damage difference between the bone spear and the bone spirit isn't that great to start with and it further loses meaning because you get 7% synergy to bone spear and only 6% synergy to bone spirit. I actually respecced at lvl 91 and put my skill points from teeth to bone spirit and ended up with lower bone spirit damage vs bone spear damage. So had to use a token to respect back :) You could gain a little bit stronger bone spirit if you would max out it before bone prison/wall, but to me it's not worth the loss in bone armor.

Very nice and above all original guide and build idea!

I'm restarting D2 just today, and I'll give that build a try.
I was just wondering if I'll meet a wall at the end of NM because as I start from scratch my gear will be common...
Maybe spend more time in NM till I get better gear, or will I do just slightly slow in Hell diff?

Very nice and above all original guide and build idea!

I'm restarting D2 just today, and I'll give that build a try.
I was just wondering if I'll meet a wall at the end of NM because as I start from scratch my gear will be common...
Maybe spend more time in NM till I get better gear, or will I do just slightly slow in Hell diff?

Thank you :)

Gear in itself isn't that big of a problem, but I'd recommend you to do some leveling at the end of normal and NM. I usually go to NM at lvl 40-42 and to hell at lvl 70-75 depending on my gear. If you are playing on b.net, you can usually trade pretty nice stuff with your hellforge rune (like homonculus and/or shako). If you are playing singleplayer, I recommend running NM pindle for level (with /players 4-8) and pray for some drops, if NM diablo/baal is too much for you to take on alone at the moment. And hopefully you get a basic merc going when you enter hell (insight/tal rasha mask/duriel shell will do).

Basically you can do hell with any gear, but you have to use bone prison a lot and it won't be as fast. Definitely doable, though.

Great guide :) ..I have never done a necro and will try one now :)..

Where do you recommend trying to shop for the best shoppable wand?

snooker: you only have one option and that is normal drognan.

Anything above normal drognan will be magical and you don't need that. Also note that you will be ONLY looking for bone wands, because the yew wand larzuk offers can't be spawn with 2 sockets. Make games until you get the act 2 town exit near drognan. Then open his shop, exit the town, enter the town, open his shop again to find all new wands. Continue to look a 2 socketed bone wands with good mods - or just look for normal (white) ones you can socket with larzuk.

Even though you can reset the shop very fast and you are only looking for bone wands, it can take a while. You can find a +3 bone spear wands here, but it's not easy. If you want a +3 bone spear with something usefull, it will take next to forever. I just settled for a +2 bone spear wand after shopping for an hour.

What secondary mods can you shop? You can't get decreptify or attract in your normal larzuk wand, but you can get nice things like CE, amplify damage, golem stuff etc. Basically all skills up to lvl 18.

Good luck!

Tyvm for that reply mouseman :)..

I am off to the shops :)..

What about MF? its good mfer? what itens should i change to get a nice mf without sacrifice de killer power? i though here put an enigma (99%mf), shako with IST, 2x nagel, 7% mf sm's.. but i dont really know if its will be good.

Other thing is that i stopped play 6 years ago.. so i dont remeber everything yet..

Well its capable of mf since it wont lose power as long as you get the first corpse its fine. Cows sounds like the best place to try out.

But can u tell a good set that mix mf and stats to get good kill?

other thing.. i got lvl 21 with this build.. i cant play solo.. the monsters kill my merc and my golem easy.. ok my bonespear are good but my mana goes out fast.. yes i dont have itens yet..

Pack a lot of mana potions for spamming Bone Spear, that's what my necro did. Once you get the greater and super mana potions you can chug one when you're empty, and keep spamming spells while the mana fills up, and still end up with maxed mana if the potion gives more than max mana. Oh, and I guess my bone necro wore a three perfect sapphire breastplate as well. That certainly helped with the mana. I'm going to take him through normal Act V as soon as my crappy meleemancer has killed Hell Duriel.

Poor
Shako(Perfect Topaz)
Skulders
Magefists
Wizardspike + Homunculus (Perfect Diamond)
10 FCR Ring with MF
Nagel Ring
Any ammy
War Travellers

75 FCR and nice mf with a heathy amount of + skills and resists

On another note

I found a 3 Bonespear 3 Decrepify 2 Revive wand :D

I hope people will read the guide and stop making this build about 600mf teleporting character. I've clearly explained that the first 100mf is more important than the next 900mf and that you are also searching socketables where mf actually hurts you. That is why shako with perfect topaz + gheed's is enough mf for you. It's actually right there in the guide with different places to mf and all (you can add some small charms, if you must). It's a very bad idea to sacrifice fcr for mf, because you end up finding less valuable items that way. For me, that is the typical mistake people usually make.

I realize it's quite long but it's better to spend 20 minutes reading a guide than 20 hours playing a build the 'wrong' way.

The guide also has a special section about cheap gear and mana-friendly items you can basically have for free or vs a couple of perfect gems. If you go single-player untwinked you might want to check out the discussion about maxing bone spear synergies first so your bone spear doesn't cost so much mana.

Realmofthewolf, congratulations on the great find!!

The first 300 mf is the most optimal depending on what your hunting and thats reached pretty quickly also 75% is more than enough for PVM in MF gear especially one with a focus on Corpse explosion.

Also remember this is a guide not your character if a player chooses to amend your proposed build to 600+ mf its their choice and this guide doesn't say "Exploder guide to sockets hunting".

Its ultimately there character and very few people will follow your build word for word. I myself toyed with the idea since i found that wand of amending mine for socket hunting in cows but its that or sell the wand on the forum to fund a nova sorc for cowkilling.

2 20 FCR Life/Mana circlet
Enigma
White
Darkforce
Magefists
Arachnid mesh
Waterwalks
2x soj
2 nec 15 cast

Yes people will of course make their own decisions but I´d like them to first read the guide before asking questions I´ve already answered in my opinion. Also, I feel that if you´re talking about 600mf sorceress wannabe, you are not discussing this build but some other build :) I think what I´m saying is that feel free to make your own decisions but it´d great if you had good reasons for doing so instead of doing what everyone else is doing.

I think its great there taking your proposed build and amending it to suit their applications and also its better for them to ask than read it to be honest as the best way to stop a guide being read is to put it in the stickies or let it fade into oblivion.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High