PvM 1.13 ExplosionMancer guide

Re: PvM 1.13 ExplosionMancer guide

Im loving this build, i really enjoy the way it "plays" , summoner/fishymancer builds were a bit too passive for me, but this one is perfect

the guide is also well written, and left me without any question marks
great work mouseman

cheers

I thought I'd mention the often-overlooked Boneshade unique lich wand for this build, I mention it because although it is a pretty rare drop I found it MFing long ago and I'm still searching for that perfect "white" base wand :crazyeyes:

One-Hand Damage: 10 To 31 (20.5 Avg)
Required Level: 79
Required Strength: 25
Durability: 17
Base Weapon Speed: [-20]
+50% Damage To Undead
+2 To Necromancer Skill Levels (Necromancer Only)
+1-2 To Bone Spirit (Necromancer Only) (varies)
+2-3 To Bone Spear (Necromancer Only) (varies)
+2-3 To Bone Wall (Necromancer Only) (varies)
+4-5 To Bone Armor (Necromancer Only) (varies)
+4-5 To Teeth (Necromancer Only) (varies)
+25% Faster Cast Rate

It powers up much of what this character will use, and has 5% more FCR than White - which allows you to play around with FCR gear options a bit more and add a SoJ or two for more +skills. Of course it is missing decrepify, but a decrep. wand on switch for boss battles is easy to get. This might seem like a somewhat expensive build option, but could actually be pretty cheap because you can hit the FCR bp with an "inferior" fcr circlet and crafted amulet that most people would be willing to trade you cheaply. Plus, Boneshade isn't considered to be that useful as far as I know. Yes, the White wand is better but until I find the perfect one this setup ought to work...

I think I'll try it, thanks again for the guide mouseman!

Last edited:

Everytime I build a necro I end up making a summonmancer, so I decided to try this build out. It is freakin' awesome, CE destroys everything, bone spear is used to get that first corpse, and bone wall is great for crowd control.

It's great for pindle runs. After pindle drops just drop a bone wall, amp, then CE the outside crowd.

It also is great for crowded corridor encounters, where you can drop a wall in front of the door, and same deal with pindle, amp and CE away. Archers and rangers are negated by bone wall too.

The only disadvantage I can see is that fire immunes take a bit more CE to take down, which isn't a big deal.

Thanks for all the positive feedback! It's very nice that people are trying out and liking the build!

Boneshade is actually pretty good until you get a good white. And because of the FCR it's even valid endgame weapon.

I've always liked bone prison more than bone wall (it's harder for monsters to get around). Though I ended up using mostly attract, but I guess whatever suits your playstyle is best for you :)

Keep on blowing things up!!

Sorry to necrofy this awesome thread (We are necromancers after all, eh?), but I was curious. For those playing single player, what is a good merc/weapon to use? Insight is a ladder only item, and I can't get on the realms for some reason, so I've been playing single player...

I found an ethereal 4-socket Lance that I tried using the runes in, but it didn't make it an Insight. :(

I went Summonancer up until level 47 (after I beat Countess in Nightmare) and she dropped the Io rune I was looking for to make White. Got that made, but then needed the Insight bonus, but that didn't work. I have multiples of the runes used, so it's not a harsh loss--I'm just curious, is there anything else that works just as good? Thanks!

Not that you are wrong about insight being a ladder only item, but making it in a lance wouldnt even work on ladder, as it is for staffs and polearms only and lances are considered spears.

Well, ya got me there... Any good alternatives? Just Malice based weapons?

I had similar chars in previous ladders but never tried DClone. Anyway I used him as a keyhunter and I've tried many times Andy, Izual and Duriel.
I do not all stats but as I remember I had about 40 lvl BS with more synergies (only 1 pt in CE)
Duriel was Easy, Izual sometimes died but ocasionally I must finish him with smiter but I never was able to kill Andy. Revieved Udars died after 3 minutes and she still had about 50% of life.
I think that DClone can be the same problem.

Kyonu - without Insight bonemancer is hard to play. If you really want try cheap weapon better make strenght (Amn Tir) polearm for CB and socket your armor, helm, shield with Tirs.

If you want to do more damage, dont use a wand, but beast. Merc is the real damage source on a boner build, not the bone spells themselves. And of course infinity/botd as weapon

Are you talking about UT/Dclone now? or just general PVM?

excellent! i rarely come into the necro forum (which is why i missed the update to the guide until now), but i've frequently recommended your first guide and can vouch for its effectiveness. kudos :thumbup:!

Thanks for all the positive feedback! It's very nice that people are trying out and liking the build!

Boneshade is actually pretty good until you get a good white. And because of the FCR it's even valid endgame weapon.

I've always liked bone prison more than bone wall (it's harder for monsters to get around). Though I ended up using mostly attract, but I guess whatever suits your playstyle is best for you :)

Keep on blowing things up!!

Err yea I meant to say bone prison. Although after getting to level 80+ I never have the need to put it up unless I am facing multiple archers, or opening the venom lord seals at CS. Also they are useful for the hydras at Travincal.

Interesting discussion once again.

About single player. I don't have any experience on that but I played the build long without insight because I was starting from scratch. That's how I ended up finding all the mana equipment that I wrote on the guide about. So if you are a single player, take another look at the alternative gear I listed because it's very mana friendly. Try to beef up your +mana after each kill equipment and you should be able to leech mana from corpse explosion. That's really the best thing that I can think of.

About the mercenary's weapon in single player. I would use the unique polearms. Bonehew isn't the hardest to find and it will keep your mercenary alive in most cases. If you can find Reaper's Toll or Tomb Reaver, they will really help with crowd control.

About using Beast.. It looks a bit waste to me to use beast for just your merc (why not go 100% summon route, then?). You could just do some other build and let the merc kill everything. I agree that the bone spells isn't your biggest damage output but one should never underestimate the power of full-blown Corpse Explosion.

I'm under the assumption that many players have tried bonemancers with 1 point in corpse explosion. Most players are disappointed in bone spear / bone spirit damage and try to do something about it. They will add popular runewords to the build making it a magemancer or all about the mercenary. My answer is simple: focus on Corpse Explosion and kill 98% of monsters with it.

So again, if you've played a bonenecro with 1 pt in CE, you really can't comment on this particular build (because you haven't tried it).

Using beast against UberDiablo is an interesting strategy, in itself, but it is unnecessary. Using Obedience with my merc, I was able to easily kill the UberDiablo. You just need to reach the last or second last breakpoint with enough damage and follow the guide :)

mouseman, merc does over 100k DPS with decent items(and up to 200k DPS). Bone spells do 15k dps at most(true, splash damage, but that is not as important with CE around). Better to play for your strong points than your weak points.

zrk, yeah I understand using beast against uberdiablo (although it's not necessary). Though the point of bone spells is that nothing is immune to you. So using only your merc to get the first kills isn't going to work so well with physical immunes. Also with bone spells you get control where the first kill will appear. You can target an enemy behind the enemy ranks because bone spear is piercing. Then you can blow that corpse and everyone is dead. The actual DPS of your merc is much less if you count the time he wanders around thinking if he feels like poking something.

Also, if your mercenary already kills everything with one jab, it really doesn't matter if he does more damage (outside of actbosses, of course). And fully geared bone spear with highest break point is kind of the same thing. It will kill anything quite fast. And again you get control, range and nothing is immune to you.

Some things look good on paper, but when you actually try them out in the game they aren't so simple. I think that's why all the positive comments come from people who have followed the guide and all the negative comments come from people who haven't, but still comment like they have tried it :)

This isnt papercraft - look at my boner cs run - all with nearly perfect items
[youtube]nHcC0w61YJg[/youtube] Notice at first i tried to spear enemies to death, paying less attention to merc - didnt work out so well. once i changed tactics to amping enemies + telestomp, performance increased.

The arguments you bring against the merc - with enigma there is no problem of wandering or unable to cherry pick enemies, with amp there is nearly no problem of resists(unlike magic resistant enemies).

And bone spear being kind of the same thing? Its an order of magnitude NOT the same thing! A topped merc does 192k DPS (eg my mercmancer gear, though yes less with frozen or decrep and hit recovery slightly decreasing), a topped bonemancer does 18k DPS.

Are you playing singleplayer with players 8? How did you get an annihilus/torch in single player? Or did you just use an item editor to make a perfect character?

I made a video of me clearing Chaos Sanctuary in 3 min 20 secs without enigma, though it was just me alone in the game. However, in normal bnet environment we are pretty much MF'ing alone.

The thing is here that you are really using a totally different build. You are using enigma and you have minions - you are a fishymancer who seldomly used CE. So this kind of feels like we are not talking about the same thing here and because of that it's next to pointless.

So I was really talking and writing a guide about my experience playing in battle.net. For me it didn't matter if my merc did 50k or 200k damage per second, because it killed everything quite fast already. I had my reasons - that I explained in the guide - why I didn't want enigma to dictate most of my gear so the wandering was an issue with me an my merc. Also I was able to kill monsters with 1-2 bone spears even if they were far away so that seemed fast enough for me (or faster than my merc was able to kill the monsters I wanted dead). The end result is what you see in the video: I'm able to MF very fast in the b.net environment.

Also the playstyle is different and I might add more expensive. One of the goals of this build is to be a good build for a first HC class and thus a safe one. Even with your perfect charms you take A LOT of damage that my build would be able to avoid (max block/max res/~700 point bone armor/not getting hit/using attract/etc).

What I'm trying to say is that a build is a lot more than the end-product and the numbers attached to it. It's a different experience throughout the game from start to finish. I've presented my experience and for me it worked wonderfully (and for others, too). If you don't like it and want to do it some other way, you are very welcome. There are lots of good fishymancer builds out there. I just happen to prefer explosionmancer because of the following points:

- it's less expensive and therefore even better for a first character
- you take less damage so it's a lot safer for HC
- it feels unique and it's fun to kill nearly everything instantly just by blowing them up
- you don't have to raise an army and be hated by other players by doing so
- I just love playing an explosionmancer because it's so effortless throughout the game. No need for telestomping and micromanaging etc. I think you've got to experience it to know it (things like blasting through walls with full range CE).

There are probably a lot more points but I haven't been playing for a while so my mind is not into it right now :)

Ehh no.. it was a pure bone mancer man

A "pure bone mancer" doens't have points in Summoning skills.

Really intresting build I want to try out next ladder, skellymance is nice to start but in Hell its soo slow.

Btw, is the Marrowwalk's +33 synergy Bone prison bug fixed?
Dentist uses it in his guide so hope its still "working as intended" :whistling:
If u pump bone spirit/teeth instead of Bone prison then u might end up +1k higher.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High