OT: The Nuzlocke Challenge (Pokemon)

Re: OT: The Nuzlocke Challenge (Pokemon)

You haven't really beated the game until you've got/killed Mewtwo. Kinda like with cows in D2.

I often did the same thing. But as this is a somewhat harder challenge, I have no problems being a bit cheesy.

I did not get a Vulpix, but I did get a Dodrio, who is now my flyer, and a Meowth, who is useless.

I went through the rock tunnel without flash and encountered nothing but Zubats. Gyarados Bubblebeam to care of everything in a really efficient way. When I then got to Celadon I picked up Eevee and went shopping for a fire stone to get Flareon and a leaf stone to upgrade Weepinbell. I grinded Flareon until 31 for Ember and then took on the gym. Didn't switch pokemons a single time as the little foxy thing burned them all without trouble.

My team now consists of (this time with correct lvls):

Jacob, 33 Flareon
Jimmy, 29 Gyarados
Jeffrey, 26 Nidoqueen
James, 23 Raticate
Jeremy, 26 Victreebell
Joe, 20 Dodou

I was sure Gyarados could fly. But apparently not. This is a problem for me since I'll now have to ditch one of my a-gamers for Gastly. Raticate is an obvious possibility, but then I would be really pissed at my self for teaching it Thunderbolt. Or I could just go without fly. But no. That would be too annoying

Also: regarding the previous talk about legendaries. We of course aren't even allowed to catch these, as we'd obviously run into another monster before. Right?

I might give this a go with an emulator. I just restarted on my blue cart the other day and put 3 hours in and would rather not start over on it again since there is only one save file.

In the past, I have been able to complete the entire game using only charizard+kadabra on one playthrough, and sandslash (starting from when I got him as sandshrew) on another playthrough. Is there any particular reason why I couldn't just pick one pokemon and powerlevel it to craziness from trainer fights and use it to complete the whole game? I guess I did also use other pokemon to teach the HM to, but you get what I mean.

thats how i roll jimsfriend. the catch in this style though is if you get unlucky and it dies you will most likely black out. but meh. it's the method i'm using.
caught a vulpix a meowth and a gastly. also got eevee. have decided to roll with super nidoking as my main and murder everything.
eventually he will have strength, surf, thunderbolt and ice beam. powerful combo that can kill most types

Ok. Then to stick more to the spirit of the challenge (using underused pokemon) I'm going to add for myself the rule that I *must* always try to catch my first area encounter if possible and not a duplicate, and that I should keep my party full (as many pokemon as I have, or six). Additionally, my party must all be within 5 levels of each other, and if I want to add a new guy and it is too low then immediate power leveling commences.

Also I'm not going to worry about how many hours this takes me. Maybe in 3 years I'll report back with a level 100 Muk :p

Also despite how tempting it is, I won't intentionally use any glitches or the Cinnabar Island east coast bug.

I think for added non-cheese I'll forbid myself TMs as well. Otherwise ice beam/hyper beam/thunder raticate and stuff destroys the spirit of the challenge imo.

I did consider doing the mew thing, but decided not to. It would really ruin the spirit of the game to me.

Edit: also at 1 char vs. team. I really love the whole tactical aspect of putting together the best possible team with all the different elements etc. makes it much more fun IMO.

i am tempted after completing this go through to having an attempt using just 1 early encounter pokemon. something like a caterpie or such

FoE - Legendaries are obtainable, if you're willing to run around with Max Repels. Plus, you only get one shot here - no save/reload cheese. And if it kills a couple of yours in the meantime, or you manage to knock it out, RIP for those.
However, I've never really thought they were much stronger than a good levelled team, plus I prefer the ones you level yourself usually.

Jimsfriend - That is certainly an option (and one I believe most end up doing to a degree,) but if you make one mistake, you lose your strongest. Throughout my run, I've only had 1 strongest, and a strong backup for the first's weaknesses. I've lost my strongest 3 or 4 times so far, some due to my fault, others due to unfavourable situations - my Khloris (Ivysaur) got put to sleep, then Confusioned and KO'd in two hits. I didn't really have a backup, as if I swapped out, my 2nd strogest was also weak to psychic, and my weakest would've been KO'd easily. Nothing I had could 1-hit-KO it, meaning it could use Confusion or Hypnosis, and it would still (worst case scenary) knocked out at least 1 of mine.
Sure I could've used healing, or done other things, but that Drowsee killed my strongest, and my weakest. Only my backup barely managed to scrape through this fight. Remember, this is effectively Hardcore - if you black out, you lose.
It's possible, and definitely an option, but it is a riskier style. In a competitive manner, I would definitely do it this way for speed though.

In yellow, I once did a HC run with only my Pikachu. I got past half the gyms (including Brock,) and ended up around level 70-80, before running into an Onix I couldn't kill with Quick Attack. It one-hit KO'd Pikachu with Earthquake, IIRC, but I did get quite far.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part 5 and 6: This seems easy... Too easy. and And here it comes

After speed levelling Poseidon and Oya Reborn, I realised I had probably made them too powerful. Everyone on the S.S. Anne was beaten, the Vermilion City Gym was defeated with a water/flying type, and the tunnel you're supposed to use flash in? I didn't have anything that could learn flash, so I went through it in the dark. I'll have to go back in case I missed trainers or items. Or not.

On the way to Celadon City, I was attacked by a wild Meowth, who became Sekhmet (Egyption ?Cat? God.) In Celadon, I picked up Eevee and a Water Stone, and evolved him into Skadi (God of Winter.) Team Rocket's secret hideout was found, and Giovanni was defeated, again. Skadi then went on to defeat the Grass-type Gym there using Ice Beam, and progress then went to the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town, picking up a Ghastly (Anubis - God of the Dead/Underworld.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From there, my team of Gods, Goddesses and Spirits went south (metaphorically too,) waking up the Snorlax, and sending him on his way. But disaster struck. Some random trainers poisoned two of my Pokemon, and I ran to Fuchsia City, healing them. In hindsight, I could've flown then to a previous town, avoiding using potions.
But on return, Koffings kept poisoning my Gods! Poseidon was poisoned as well, but he is one tough God, being taught to use Lightningbolt to maintain control over the seas, and everything in it. He can kill one more trainer...

Random trainer has a Pikachu. No problem. Random trainer has a Raichu. Poseidon's looking a little worse for wear, but still can do it. He's got the level advantage. He's sure to one-shot it anyway.

Or not.
Raichu used Thunderbolt. -_-
It's Super Effective
Poseidon Fainted.

Risky on my part, and definitely avoidable. But my God of Water and the Seas! Why must I keep killing off my strongest Gods!

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that Dry - but yes, that was a risky move :p edit: and considering the poison thing - why not just walk around with a bag full of andidotes? They're dirt cheap after all.

I wondered about something in the rock tunnel. According to the town map, this is one area - however, it has got to different floors which I would probably consider two areas. It didn't matter for me, as I only encountered duplicates, but the situation may come up in future caves. So does different floors of a cave count as different areas?

They were just too overlevelled; everything fell before Poseidon. That basically leads to cocky play, and overconfidence, and one risky battle too many. Antidotes aren't a bad idea. I don't normally buy many potions/antidotes, but I'll keep that in mind.

As to the caves/areas, Safari zone has 4 individual maps, but is one Safari Zone. Personally, I think the Safari Zone, despite having four individual maps, should be one zone. On the other hand, the odds of catching the first encounter isn't all that likely, as they usually run fairly quickly, so four chances aren't all that bad.
As to different levels of the same map, I think along similar lines. Mt Moon has multiple stairs/levels, but it is all Mt. Moon, so counted as one area. Personally, I think the number, and types, of pokemon likely to encounter throughout the game as the first encounter of an area is by far varied enough so that you aren't likely to run out of solid choices, or end up with an impossibility to progress.

If anyone has a reason to allow this, or comments/questions/additions, I'd like to hear them. I'm probably going to move on to a different version after this, or add some more restrictions (limit Pokecenters to try to prevent over-levelling,) so all comments will be considered, and help in making future Nuzlocke Challenge/restrictions more balanced and enjoyable.

Last edited:

That's the danger of overlevelling few pokemons I suppose. I always buy and use tons of healing products. probably have a least one of each status healer, 15 anditotes, 15 super potions, some ethers and extra awakenings right now.

Regarding the caves/safarizone, that was exactly what I was thinking. Just wanted to double check.

What does your team look like atm?

I'm thinking I'm gonna spam Repels to get one of the birds. My chances at getting another decent flyer aren't looking to good. Will probably go for Zapdos in that case. Picked a completely random fossil, and I can't remember if it's aerodactyl or not. If so, that'd also be a possibility.

Mt Moon fossils are Kabuto and Omanyte. Aerodactyle is from the fossil you get in Pewter City. That I do remember. As to which is Kabuto, and which is Omanyte, I have no idea. :D

Basically, when Poseidon KO'd, Skadi (Vaporeon) took leadership of the group.

Something like:
Skadi: Mid 30's I think. After Poseidon KO'd, his Ice Beam became the main killer, and he took out the flying types in that area.
Pidgeotto: Around 30 (with Fly)
Ghastly: Early 20's (not trained, but want a Haunter later)
Meowth: Mid 20's (not trained, but hoping for a Persian - never used one before.)
Geodude: HM Slave
Bellsprout: HM Slave

Poseidon was level 44 at Fuchsia City when the Raichu ended his reign.

Mt Moon fossils are Kabuto and Omanyte. Aerodactyle is from the fossil you get in Pewter City. That I do remember. As to which is Kabuto, and which is Omanyte, I have no idea. :D

It's been way to long since I've played this game!

Hey Drystan, thanks for hosting this, it looks like a lot of fun :D

I haven't played in ages (yellow version), but hopefully it won't take long to get the hang of it.

Can you pm me a link to the gbc emulator/ROM you use? The one I've found is black and white and I would prefer it to be a bit more lively without manually goofing with the colors.

I am also using a b/w rom, but that's fine for me :p. In the past when I did one or two pokemon powerthroughs, I never had a problem with fainting pokemon. They just get so hugely overleveled from trainer fights that you hardly even have to grind diglett's cave.

Code:
Slightly less than 4 hours.

RNG 3 -> Bulbasaur (Eric)
RNG 1 -> Dome Fossil

First Encounter with Rival: He used growl a lot, and I didn't. I had to use my potion to not game over right there and he almost killed me anyway (6hp left or so).
Skipped second encounter
Brock: Vine whip. Vine whip. Ez.
Third Encounter with Rival: I forgot he was there, and wasn't really ready for it. If I had known, I would have leveled up a bit more. Pidgeotto took my spearow pretty low, and also took some on my ivysaur. During Abra fight I used potions since he just has teleport, then the reast was easy. Fury attack and peck die die die.

Failed First Encounters
Route 1: Lv 4 Rattata -> No poke balls
Veridian Forest: Lv 4 Caterpie -> Duplicate

Succesful First Encounters
Route 2: Lv 3 Caterpie (Margaret)
Route 3: Lv 8 Spearow (Gregory) I was hoping to get lucky and spawn a Jigglypuff, I don't want spearow since I've overused him before (until I found that dodrio is 50x better). Oh well.
Mt Moon: Lv 8 Paras (Vickie)

Gregory  18 (spearow)
Eric     19 (ivysaur)
Margaret 17 (butterfree)
Vickie   17 (paras)

I am in. Random.org rolled Squirtle.

Jdkerr is doing well and has defeated his adversary, OMG, twice (and rather handily each time, I might add). Professor Oak gave me a darling little blue pokemon named Slog. He is currently level 19 and doing well. He keeps trying to evolve, but I think he looks cute the way he is. The biggest opponent I have faced so far was an Onyx, but he went down in one hit.

Thus far I have collected a Nidoran named CutStrength, a Pidgey named Fly, and a Magicarp named SurfStrong, but they are not part of the party at the moment.

Code:
Current party:
Slog           Squirtle       lvl19

Fallen heroes:
(none)

Welcome jdkerr!

My current party consist of:

Butterfree level15
Nidorino level18
Wartortle level17

I'm in the middle of mount moon. Cross your fingers!

Another update, if no one minds.

We made it to Lavender Town. Something fishy appears to be going on, but it will take some poking around before we figure that out.

I got insanely lucky earlier today: my first random encounter on Route 22 was an Abra, and the pokeball caught it. I do not know what the chances of that are, but I know they are pretty slim. I immediately named him "MewTicket," bought as many pokeballs as I could afford, and after throwing about 30 of them I had a Mew. Score!

Now, I do not intend to use the Mew in combat (although that would have been fun), since it does not seem to match the spirit of the game. My plan for Mew is indicated by his name: "HM Mule." Instead of keeping two or three extra pokemon in my party to use HMs, I will now only keep one. It will not impact the difficulty of the game, then, but it is cleaner to have a party of two, and fun to have a Mew. :)

I have been thinking about which moves I want Slog to have for the endgame. I think Surf is probably an obvious choice for a water move, and Earthquake for ground. (I am currently using Bubblebeam/Dig until I get those.) I am not sure about the others. I was considering a normal attack. Body Slam looks better than Skull Bash, but I do not really know. I am also not sure about the final move. Perhaps Blizzard or Ice Beam? I am hoping some of the Pokemon experts can chime in.

Code:

Party:
Slog           Squirtle       lvl39          (Body Slam, Skull Bash, Dig, Bubblebeam)
HM Mule        Mew            lvl7           (Teleport, Cut)

ice beam is a solid choice. and strength is a decent physical move

Many challengers feel that the rules also serve the purpose of encouraging the use of Pokémon the player would not normally choose
Due to this, I'm strongly considering setting my ivysaur free. Looking at the elite 4 lineup, I could see myself using venusaur against half+ of the opponent pokemons for one hit kills.

Looking for a final lineup something like Butterfree, Fearow, Kabutops, Parasect, Jolteon, ??? not decided on the final maybe snorlax :D

......... or apparently not because paras (Vickie) just got killed :3 at lv 20 by nidoran's poison sting :[

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High