OT: The Nuzlocke Challenge (Pokemon)

Drystan1

Jul 19, 2006
OT: The Nuzlocke Challenge (Pokemon)

[highlight]The Nuzlocke Challenge
Pokemon Blue[/highlight]

Round 1 Starts on Post #2 (Pokemon Blue)
Round 2 Starts on Post #84 (Pokemon LeafGreen)

Round 3 (informal) Starts on Post ~#155 (Pokemon Silver)
Round 4 (informal) Starts on Post #187 (Pokemon Emerald)

Why is this thread here?

This thread is here so that fellow member(s) undertaking this challenge can easily communicate with each other, so that we can post updates on our party, help each other out, and in general just chat about the Nuzlocke Challenge we are undertaking. Private Messages are not always a great option, as only 10 can be stored, and Wall posts are also difficult, as they have a 1000 character limit.
The Nuzlocke Challenge can be a competition, where speed and times are counted, and the winner is decided by the furthest Gym reached, or the fastest to defeat the Elite Four. We are doing this as a co-op, where we share details, and tips and advice are welcome when asked. No need for time recordings either.

In this instance, we are loading up one of the original games, Pokemon Blue, which we both played 10+ years ago. The Nuzlocke Challenge ruleset we are playing by is to increase the challenge, as well as use Pokemon we wouldn't normally use.

What is the Nuzlocke Challenge

Quoted from the Nuzlocke Challenge Bulbapedia page:

The Nuzlocke Challenge is a set of rules intended to create a higher level of difficulty while playing the Pokémon games. Many challengers feel that the rules also serve the purpose of encouraging the use of Pokémon the player would not normally choose, and promoting closer bonds with the player's Pokémon. The rules are not an in-game function, but are self-imposed on the part of the player, and thus subject to variation.

The name of the challenge originates from the comic series of the same name, which features a Nuzleaf resembling John Locke as a recurring gag character.

Rules of the Nuzlocke Challenge

This is a fairly simple ruleset, designed to increase the difficulty, as well as to utilise lesser used Pokemon.

A rule that is highly recommended is to nickname each Pokemon. The idea behind this, is it reduces the thought of them as generic Pokemon, and is supposed to promote a greater fondness and bond towards them. I support this, and am currently nicknaming them, but it is not a mandatory rule.

1. The starter Pokemon is to be randomised. Random.org, or rolling a die will help this.

2. Pokemon do not faint. Pokemon battling is a violent blood sport, and if a Pokemon faints, it is usually because of an immediately mortal wound. Any Pokemon that faints is considered dead, and may not be healed or used again. Release it at the nearest possible time.

3. You may only catch the first Pokemon encountered in each area. If the first encounter faints, flees, or you have no Pokeballs on you, you may not catch any for that area.

3.a) An area is defined by the Town Map. If you're unsure, check the Town Map or something like this map. The division between areas is often shown by a change in the colour and music schemes. Other divisions are when you walk in or out of a cave entrance.

3.b) Towns count as areas, and pokemon caught, given or traded are counted as your one wild encounter for that area.
No trading between games with other participants.

Optional rules we are using

4. Duplicate captures are banned. If one dies, and that Pokemon comes up later as the first random encounter, bad luck. Pre-evolved, or evolved forms are currently okay, as long as you haven't had that Pokemon previously.

5. Having all party Pokemon faint and 'blacking/whiting out' is to be a 'game over.' (Alterable, as we haven't mentioned this previously. I do like the idea of this though.)

So that's why this thread is here, and what it's about.
Enjoy!

Drystan

Last edited:
Re: OT: The Nuzlocke Challenge (Pokemon)

Due to a small muck up, I have had an early restart, based on rule #3.a).

Drystan

Part 1 - Starters and Rivals

Well. I found out about this challenge recently, and thought it would be fun. Sort of like HardCore for Pokemon. This first update will be relatively short and simple. The Pokemon Blue game goes like this:

- Name Character and Rival
- Take Potion out of PC (Huh!?! Why can't my Laptop store food for me!)
- Walk into tall grass, and have an old man invite you into his house. Seems legit.
- Be offered one of three Pokemon: Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle. My random roll resulted in Bulbasaur as my starter.
- Rival Battle #1 - Went pretty well. Five or six Growls, followed by straight up attacks.
- Do an errand between Pallet Town and Viridian City's Pokemart, and run into first random encounter with no Pokeballs.

From there, I did some training on Route 22, as well as Route 2, and caught a female Nidoran and a Ratata. After some unfocused training, RattusZRat fainted. Whoops... Great start.
So I went along, and trained Khloris (Bulbasaur) to level 13, and faught the second Rival battle.

Next up: Viridian Forest and Pewter City Gym. Also, pictures coming up sometime.

Code:
[B]Current Team:[/B]

Khloris (Goddess of Flowers) - Bulbasaur - Level 13 - Starter
Aikami (Goddess of Love) - Nidoran (f) - Level 4 - Route 22

[B]RIP[/B]
RattusZRat - Ratata - Level 5 - Route 2 - Feral TV

Last edited:

Hi Drystan!

A very small update for me. Only played about an hour so far.

Random.org chooses bulbasaur for me. The first fight with the rival, went okish. Lot's of growl, that's for sure.
Same as Drystan, first encounter was without a pokeball. Instead I have leveled my Bulbasaur up to 11 and saved the game.

Planning to make some more progress tomorrow, I seriously need some sleep.

Wow. I would get in if I only still had my Pokemon Red. I have Pokemon Gold on my GBC. Good Luck!:thumbup:

@dj : Just find an emulator - that's what I'm using. I'm using one that lets you increase the speed as well. The original walking speed was slow, not to mention the occasional grinding. I haven't had to do much yet, as my capture and survival rates aren't all that good. It's been a great start...
Not many people have the original Blue/Red cartridge, or the old GameBoy any more either. It was released 14-16 years ago afterall. Really, it's been that long! I'll PM a link if you're interested in joining.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part 2 - Veridian Forest and Pewter City Gym

Veridian Forest - Damn you! First encounter was a Metapod, level 4. Leach seeded it to slowly reduce it's life, and when it reached around 1/4 health, I threw a Pokeball. And another one... And another! No! This is a great chance at a Butterfree!
Metapod has fainted.

Khloris vs Brock

Brock has a pretty rocky relationship with his Pokemon. They look tough, but they don't respect their trainer, and Khloris easily took them down with Vine Whip at level 15.

Heading east towards Mount Moon, my two overlevelled Pokemon breezed through most of the trainers there, but one gave me a scare. Someone with a level 14 Spearow, using Peck. Needed a potion in there, but otherwise, not really too bad.
But on that route, I encountered a wild Pidgey. Ohh, nice! Two attacks, and it faints! Ack!

I failed to catch two first encounters, and have already managed to knock one of mine out! On the plus side, it's so much easier training only two than a whole team.

Next up: Mt. Moon and Cerulean City

Code:
[b]Current Team[/b]
Khloris (Goddess of Flowers) - Bulbasaur - Level 15 - Starter
Aikami (Goddess of Love) - Nidoran (f) - Level 14 - Route 22

[b]RIP[/b]
RattusZRat - Rattata - Level 5 - Route 2 - Feral TV

[b]First Encounter Fails[/b]
Metapod - Level 4 - Viridian Forest
Pidgey - Level 6 - Route 3

shoot us that pm drystan. i still have my old blue/red and my old gameboy (the original brick) but i do not believe it is functional anymore.

my old record for beating the elite four was 13:04:yes:

going to double post to throw out an update.

rolled up a bulbasaur which makes me abit sad is he is my least liked of the starters. but atleast he is an earlygame powerhouse.
he is now level 27 having just rolled over brock and misty and my rival (kestegs be thy name) and completed the nugget bridge.

ivysaur- lvl 27
nidoran male - lvl 5
weedle - lvl 5
caterpie - lvl 4
rattata - lvl 10
abra - lvl 10

are my catches so far. accidently killed a couple and forgot to avoid the grass in the lead up to mt moon so i couldn't buy the fish of DOOOOM
forgot about the kid who likes shorts and wields a lvl 14 spearow. he scared the shorts off me before he died.

In blue, when evolved from abra to kadabra, do you have to try it to evolve it into alakazam?

And damn you're quick Corax. I just catched Metapod and Pidgey. Pretty happy with metapod, I like it when it evolves into butterfree.

If I remember correctly Alakazam can only be gotten by trading with someone else. I'll join next Thursday (after my midterms).

Don't know what I wrote there. Meant to write Trade:)

I'm soooooooo in to this. This will be bad for my d2 time. Will post update later.

will be in a couple of hours.

Defeated Brock and a couple of the trainers that follows.

Rolled Bulbasaur (lvl 15) which is nice. Catched two pidgeys (lvl 12), a caterpie who is now methapod (9) , and a female nidoran (12). One pidgey got 1 hitted by a pikachu.

Will do a proper update, but haven't got time.

Filthy double poster. Don't do it just because the silly aussie is doing it.

harsh.
i think i remember the good level combo to make a tough as monster murderific nidoking. that will be my backup if ivysaur kicks it.
and at some stage i'll probably lvl my abra to kadabra. which is lvl 16 IIRC

@Corax - looks like you got your keys sorted. For me, it's Enter, Backspace, Z and X.
But what Fish of Doooooom are you talking about? Can you buy a Magikarp early on? I thought you could buy one later, but not before Mt Moon.
Yep, that Spearow got me a little concerned too. Peck + Bulbasaur don't mix.

@FoE - I don't have any time (read: motivation) for D2 anymore, so this is a good challenging replacement for it. And who doesn't like Pokemon? Especially when most of us grew up with it 14 years ago! But two Pidgeys? Duplicate pokemon aren't allowed, even if one faints later. Although, it is considered an optional rule, but I like the idea of limiting catches.

I haven't really been any more lucky. A little bit overconfidence, a little bit bad luck, but that'll come later.

Maybe he met them as a first encounter in two different zones and thought it was okay?

you can buy a magikarp from a guy in the pokemon centre just before mount moon.
traded my abra for the mr mime as i avoided the grass on that route.

about to murder gym 3.

So, question. I'm on road 3 right now, and like corax mentioned, you can buy a magikarp just before mt. moon.

It's fine to do that, right? And if I do it, does that mean that I'm not allowed to catch a pokemon in this particular area?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High