OT: The Nuzlocke Challenge (Pokemon)

Re: OT: The Nuzlocke Challenge (Pokemon)

Ice Beam is what won my Elite 4 battle in Blue. Skadi, God of Winter, and also my Vaporeon cleaned most of them up with it's Ice/Water moves.

So, I restarted, rolling another Charmander, again named FireDancer. This time, I'm somewhat trying solo at the moment, until Misty and the second gym battle. Currently heading up that Nugget bridge with a high levelled solo Charmeleon. I think I'll have to train something else up for Misty though.

Bulbasaur! I choose you!

I actually started last night with a squirtle but i fell asleep and gameboy died! So i started a game this morning with the randomly rolled bulbasaur! Actual gameboy being used FTW!!! (will post pics later today to make y'all jealous!

I am named Twibz of course! My rival is named Drystan of course and he has a funny haircut... He chose a charmander (n00b)

I will hunt you down Drystan!

Also massive congrats to Sunset! I played crystal which was an awesome game but can only find my gold cartridge atm (no 'free' suicine put me off). Keep going!!!

Yay! Welcome, Twibz!

Nothing too interesting yet. Just a bunch of trainer battles. After visiting Bill, and not seeing an Abra in the grassland, Drystan decided to skip Misty's gym. For now. I don't trust a Charmeleon versing two water types. Drystan and FireDancer walked through a crime scene, dispatched a member of Team Rocket, and headed south to Vermillion city.

No new captures. My lower levels aren't strong enough to do them any damage, and FireDancer knocks them out straight away. I may have to train some lower level, as I may need something that can learn Cut soon.

[highlight]Drystan and FireDancer, Level 31 Charmeleon - Random trainers up next, followed by Misty[/highlight]

31... :crazyeyes:

-----

Cleaned out Misty fairly quickly, then moved south before calling it a day on the S.S. Anne.

Route 4: Sandshrew (Touka)
Route 5: Meowth (Inoue)
[strike]Route 24: Caterpie[/strike]
Route 25: Caterpie (Pani)
[strike]Route 6: Bellsprout
Diglett's Cave: Dugtrio[/strike]

Active:
Pani: Butterfree (20)
Rikako: Geodude (23)
Touka: Sandshrew (10)
Inoue: Meowth (10)

Deceased:
Gil: Spearow (6)
Chibimoth: Wartortle (24)

Diglett's Cave was... interesting. Ran into a level 31 Dugtrio for the first encounter, immediately getting a Sand Tomb and Fury Swipes (claws???) to the face, killing off Chibi. Pani managed to get Sleep Powder off, eventually knocking it out after a few failed capture attempts. (For whatever reason, it stopped using Fury Swipes, resorting to ground attacks only. Pity?)

Kind of a problematic situation, but oh well. As long as they can make it to Celadon, things should clear up.

Only had time enough to retrieve the package from viridian last night for oak but my bulbasaur named 'Zaph' is doing OK.

Is grinding allowed? Or is it almost like single pass?

*cough* Wrong thread.

Edit: Yes, grinding is allowed.

And a level 36 Charizard with Wing Attack can one-shot both Misty's Staryu and Starmie. Also, Lt. Surge, the Lightning American(???) is also readily defeated. Yeah, I can't really create anything interesting in that, as Charizard absolutely dominates everything. We'll see soon how my solo run goes. :)
Next to grab Flash, and move forward.

Last edited:

Hm. Never really considered a solo run, but it does seem to have at least some benefits, at least early on.

-----------------

[strike]Route 11: Spearow
Route 9: Sandshrew
Route 10: Spearow[/strike]
Rock Tunnel: Machop (Gen)
Route 8: Pidgey (Sakuya)

Active:
Pani: Butterfree (36)
Rikako: Graveler (30)
Inoue: Meowth (10)
Sakuya: Pidgey (18)

Deceased:
Gen: Machop (20)

Lt. Surge was pretty much food for Rikako, who one shot everything with Magnitude. Managed to get a non-repeat in Rock Tunnel with Machop, only to see him get one shot by a Critical Hit Magnitude 10 (450 damage!). Funny how things work. Pani almost got one shot by another Geodude who got in a Rock Throw. Stress.

Moving along now to Celadon now. Eevee seems the obvious choice there, but Pinsir/Dratini wouldn't be terrible. (<3 Pickup for the free berries/money.)

I think i would go for dratini without a doubt!

Slow progress for me, brock has been overturned by teh awesomez bulbasaur! Misty better get ready for a whooping too!

Had excessive free time while watching NCAA tournament...

[strike]Route 7: Meowth[/strike]
Saffron City: Hitmonlee (Keisuke)
Pokemon Tower: Gastly (Suzuki)
[strike]Route 12: Snorlax[/strike]
Route 16: Snorlax (Pero)
[strike]Route 13: Ditto
Route 14: Ditto
Safari Zone: Exeggcute
Route 15: Bellsprout
Route 18: Spearow
Route 17: Raticate[/strike]
Celadon City: Dratini (Akane)
[strike]Route 19: Tentacool
Route 20: Tentacool[/strike]

Active:
Akane: Dratini (29)
Pani: Butterfree (43)
Rikako: Graveler (36)
Pero: Snorlax (41)
Keisuke: Hitmonlee (41)

Deceased:
Sakuya: Pidgeotto (34)

Managed to lose Sakuya to another trainer's Pidgeotto, which got in a Quick Attack and Wing Attack while Sakuya was using Fly. Kind of assumed that attack could be cancelled out of after the first part, but guess not. All the ones who have died thus far are male. Go figure.

Erika and Koga were a walk for Pani and Pero. Sabrina should be pretty problematic with this team's typing and/or special defense rating, so delaying that for as long as possible. Need to clear out Silph first anyway. Rival battle there (?) scares me a bit as well. Trying to decide between Cinnabar and Seafoam for now, but then having a Master Ball for Articuno would be good... decisions.

Not much else to say, except REALLY annoyed to have lost both the Spearow and Pidgey lines. Not being able to Fly is just a little annoying. Aerodactyl and Articuno are options, I suppose.

Looks good for now. Might have more than 6 to mix and match for the rotation, but that's better than being short on choices.

EDIT: Decided to box Rikako for the time being. Will be fetching Aerodactyl as a replacement, though a level 5 is quite tedious to grow...

Last edited:

Nice progress. I'll try catch up tomorrow.

Sunset? said:
Edit: How did you guys decide what to name your rival? Was it just the person who had posted in the thread before you?
Sorry, I didn't know if anyone answered this. In Round 1, I was initially discussing this with Skjolde, and as we both decided to give it a go, we both named it after each other, as it was exploration and fun, but also a competition against each other.
This time, Twibz and I were discussing reviving the thread, and giving it another go in a new version, so we named our rivals after each other.

It doesn't really matter who it is: If you've got a good theme going (superheros vs supervillains, Water vs Fire, etc) that's good. If there's someone in the forums you want to beat a few times, that's good too.
I'm happy you want to beat me and my pokemon up a few times, but next time... I'll be sure to win against your pokemon team just as much as you'll win against mine this round. :)

No progress, but Nagisa, out of curiousity, how much Japanese/JCulture do you know? If this derails this too much (next time I'll post an update, promise!) we'll take it to PM/wall posts, but I've noticed a few things recently - and now your pokemon names all Japanese characters/letter styles.

I am personally naming my pokemon after forum members and then if i run out of names probably just daft names.

Rival is Drystan.

Bulbasaur is Zaph (felt the name fitted the pokemon well) , (was going to be kestegs but i felt a more 'unreliable' pokemon deserves his name)

I really want a meowth so i can call it Kitteh!!!

Sorry for the OT

Talking about Pokemon (and naming of) in a Pokemon thread is OT? Who would've guessed. ;) Love the Kitteh idea.

Drystan and FireDancer grabbed HM Flash, and a bike, and went through the tunnel to Lavender Town. I'm taking on every random Pokemon that attacks, and allowing myself to use Ethers, Escape Ropes and Repels, but not buy them, so I have limited stock, and limited PP. That also means if FireDancer runs out during a cave, or in the Elite 4 battle, and I have no repels/ethers/escape ropes, she may have to Struggle and rely on potions.

Well, FireDancer fought her way through the tunnels to Lavender Town, made it to Celadon City, and walked over the Gym Leader there. Extremely overlevelled Flying/Fire type vs Grass - Who will win?

There are Doubles battles in Leaf Green, which is a little annoying for a solo run. I'm capturing what I can in the first areas to use as HM slaves and using them to capture low level first-random encounters as FireDancer will one-shot everything, but in one Doubles battle, LeafDancer (Charizard,) and SonicWings (Zubat) were sent out versing a Ninetales and Rapidash. FireDancer one shot one of them, and I swapped SonicWings with Swift Foot (Mankey,) who promptly got KO'd. Out comes SonicWings, and FireDancer goes to one shot the other, but it used Quick Attack on SonicWings!
Luckily, SonicWings barely managed to survive, and gained a couple levels.

54314557.jpg

In Celadon, I picked up Eevee (Skadi, God of Winter from Round 1 who won it for me,) to evolve into a Vaporeon. Unfortunately, (s)he won't be used, except for Surf.

[highlight]Drystan and FireDancer, Level 49 Charizard - Team Rockets Celadon Hideout next[/highlight]

Drystan: Outside of anime/games/novels/etc., not that much cultural knowledge.

-----------------

Cinnabar Island: Aerodactyl (Esaka)
Seafoam Islands: Articuno (Kagari)
Pokemon Mansion: Grimer (Lucia)

Active:
Akane: Dragonite (57) [Surf, Dragon Claw, Ice Beam, Shock Wave]
Kagari: Articuno (53) [Toxic, Water Pulse, Fly, Ice Beam]
Pani: Butterfree (51) [Sleep Powder, Silver Wind, Psychic, Giga Drain]
Lucia: Muk (51) [Acid Armor, Sludge Bomb, Brick Break, Return]
Keisuke: Hitmonlee (51) [Earthquake, Reversal, Brick Break, Substitute]
Touka: Sandshrew (10) [Scratch, Rock Smash, Cut, Strength]

Deceased:
Sakuya: Pidgeotto (34)
Esaka: Aerodactyl (22)
Pero: Snorlax (46)

6 dead, all males. The team has 4 females. A strange coincidence all the way to the very end. Esaka died from tanking a Psybeam, getting confused, and killing himself. Snorlax... got jobbed by a Destiny Bond. Absolutely horrifying, especially for a high tier monster who just learned Shadow Ball (90k investment!).

None of the remaining gyms were terrifying at all. Akane, even as a Dragonair, handled Blaine/Giovanni easily with Surf, and Sabrina was severely underleveled by the time she was conquered. Victory Road was pretty scary, if only because of the trainer variety and playing on 'set'. Went to One Island to grind for a while with VS Seeker near Ember Spa. That was just broken. It seemed to provide a lot of Attack EV, which was of debatable usefulness. Moved on the the Elite 4 after everyone reached 50.

Lorelei was a toughie. Not many options in a team full of flyers against her. Keisuke kicked things off, but it was mostly the Kagari Toxic/Fly stall show. Wasn't quite brave enough to Substitute/Reversal. Bruno was also pretty nasty. The pair of Onix were easy enough, but the fighters came with rock type moves, resulting in a potion war with Akane tanking. Lucia could've probably done it, but the fear of Earthquake was strong.

Agatha fell to Pani and Lucia in pretty short order, and Lance was completely helpless against Akane and Kagari... almost laughably so. That left just the rival, except 5 of his 6 (Pani took out the other, getting in TWO stat boosts in 3x Silver Wind, <3 luck) were weak to Akane. All according to plan, of course. Probably should have gave more thought to preparing for the first two battles, but oh well.

Not really that interested in grinding and fighting the buffed up Elite 4, so Kotori will call it an adventure here. It was probably the first time I've used a Muk or a Hitmonlee extensively, so that was certainly interesting. Quite surprisingly strong, both of them.

Pokemon_Leaf_Green_1364007694704.png

-----------------

Best of luck to you guys. Might try another if the interest is still there in the future.

Last edited:

I'm finding a solo run less enjoyable than having a diverse team. My Charizard is a higher level than all your team, and I have only just completed the Pokemon Tower, and am moving south to Fuhsia (however you spell it) City, She just one-hit-ko's everything, and there's no planning, no preparing.
Is that area now really difficult to navigate now? In mine, I had clouds floating everywhere, and couldn't pick out where I was supposed to walk...

I've picked up a Ghastly (DarkSpirit) and Bellsprout (VineGrowth), but neither of them will see any action, minus an HM move if needed. I wish I could give more exciting updates, like the first Round, but FireDancer is just too overlevelled.

Congrats on the finishing, and nice to see a couple oddballs in there. I've always been fond of Butterfree.

Congrats NagisaFurukawa! That's a nice team!

@Drystan - yeah, a solo run can be strong, but I find a varied team more fun too, if a little frustrating.

So, here's my update.

Gave Rin a haircut. He's looking happy.
Did you know you can Fly to Lake of Rage? I didn't know.
found some carbos in the ice path, gave to Thwomp
found another pp up for tiamat's surf
made it to Blackthorn City
got the Spell Tag from Santos, cause it's Saturday
found an Iron, gave to Tiamat
Got the Moonstone at Tohjo Falls, evolved Ganondorf
Taught Ganondorf Ice Punch
Got the King's Rock
Got the Blackglasses
Wild Wobbuffet appeared! Uh oh... but that's ok, Ganondorf got a critical hit with Strength.
Ganondorf valiantly Ice Punched a bunch of Dratinis and Dragonairs in the Dragon Gym.
Ganondorf was slain by Clair's Dragonair's Ice Beam. I had just used a Max Potion, and I thought he could take the hit since the last one hadn't done as much damage....
Dr.Wily was slain by Clair's Kingdra's Surf, critical hit. Argh!
Tiamat avenged their deaths with Dragon Rage. Clair's Kingdra tried to hide behind Smokescreen, but Tiamat's fury could not be averted.
Clair was defeated, but I still need to get the Fang to get the badge. I hope I can catch a Dratini there.

After Clair (7 badges):
Thwomp - Graveler 36
Misty - Togetic 32
Tiamat - Gyarados 34
Circe - Tentacool 20
Rin - Eevee 20
Dr.Cliche - Voltorb 23

Aahh... what to do now... Guess I'd better look up what moves the new members of this team can use.

New Captures:
caught route 44 - poliwag - Tatsumasa
caught Ice Path - Golbat - Erin

Question: I had been using Zubat, but it hadn't yet evolved to Golbat. May I use this new Golbat I caught or should I let it go?

The Fallen:
Falco - slain by Hiker Anthony's Machop, Low Kick, critical hit
Radish - slain by Drystan's Croconaw, Scratch
Sophie - slain by Drystan's Zubat, Bite
Nivea - slain by Whitney's Miltank, Rollout
Maria - slain by Schoolboy Chad's Mr. Mime, Confusion critical hit
Marth - slain by Blackbelt Yoshi's Hitmonlee, hi jump kick
Strix - slain by Blackbelt Yoshi's Hitmonlee, hi jump kick
Ganondorf - slain by Clair's Dragonair, Ice Beam
Dr. Wily - slain by Clair's Kingdra, Surf, critical hit

FireDancer's reign of fire has ended, to Twibz! After defeating Blaine and his fire-types, Drystan and FireDancer found Islands One, Two and Three, continued on their journey to Saffron City, routed out Team Rocket, beat the fighting mini-gym and Sabrina (by this time, FireDancer was almost level 80,) and Giovanni, the Viridian City gym leader.

FireDancer was level 81, using:
FlameThrower; Slash; Wing Attack and Metal Claw.

Moving on towards the Elite 4, Drystan ran into Twibz. Should be easy, right?
FireDancer vs Pidgeot (47.)
Thought I should've been able to one-hit KO it, I used Wing Attack, slivering the silly bird. It just barely scraped through an attack that "greatly reduced FireDancer's Attack stat."

Next came Blastoise, level 53 so I used Slash, hoping for it's high Crit Hit to trigger. I expected to take some damage, but nothing too concerning. Slash did hardly any damage, but made it through okay, without any concern.

Next, a level 45 Rhyhorn. Easy: I've got Metal Claw, a super effective move, but alas, that didn't come close to hitting for a kill. Rhyhorn then used the Rock/Ground attack that launches 2 to 5 rocks at the opponent. One hit. Two hit. Three hit. Four hit. Seriously? Five hit. Super-effective, just doing enough damage to kill FireDancer, my level 81 Charizard.

I came across some bad luck there. Pidgeot only barely surviving that first Wing Attack, and then using something to greatly reduce my attack stat. And from there, Charizard had a very noticable lack of power. Then the Rock Throw (? not sure which one,) landing five rocks! Ah well. I'll continue along solo, and finish it off. I'm close enough anyway.

I did absolutely humiliate one of Twibz's Pokemon though. FireDancer's Metal Claw only took Rhyhorn's health down to 50%, but I decided to keep going, try beat it with my low levels. Rhyhorn killed a few more, but eventually got KO'd.
Out came Exeggcute, Level 45, who did some more damage using Solar Beam, until SweetiePie, my level 3 Jigglypuff came out.

Exeggcute drew in light for Solar Beam
Jigglypuff used Sing
Jigglypuff used Flash x5
Jigglypuff kept putting Exeggcute to sleep, while using Strength and Dream Eater. I used all my X Attack/Accuracy modifiers, and slowly...

SweetiePie, level 3 Jigglypuff, KO'd a level 45 Exeggcute. Humiliation!

[highlight]My team upon deeds - Solo Charizard Run[/highlight]

FireDancer, level 81 Charizard
SonicWings, level 21 Zubat (in part used to capture some wild pokemon)
EarthShake, level 18 Diglet (Dig, Cut, Rock Smash)
SweetiePie, level 3 Jigglypuff (Flash, Strength)
SpeedyDove, level 15 Spearow (Fly)
Skadi, level 25 Vaporeon (Surf)

Other Captures

Stone Wind, level 5 Aerodactyl
LeafGrowth, level 25 Exeggcute
VineGrowth, level 19 Bellsprout
DarkSpirit, level 16 Ghastly
Ember Dash, level 34 Ponyta
NovaHunter, level 40 Persian
LiquidWave, level 25 Lapras

Deeds (using swapping Sonic Wave out during Doubles Battles)

Swift Foot, level 7 Mankey
Stone Claw, level 11 Sandshrew
SpiralWind, level 9 Pidgey

Sunset said:
Question: I had been using Zubat, but it hadn't yet evolved to Golbat. May I use this new Golbat I caught or should I let it go?
I feel that that's fine. As long as the Golbat still follows the rules (first wild encounter of an area, and not been caught before,) it seems fine.
If you want to add a slightly harder rule set for yourself, you can restrict yourself from using it, but that comes down to how many addition restrictions you want to place on yourself. I've seen a few comments where people add the further restriction of only 1 per evolution line, but it's just for a greater challenge.

[highlight]Drystan and FireDancer, level 81 - RIP to Rival Twibz, heading towards Victory Road[/highlight]

897383-3U9jFtOFBtigHKLD.png

So close Drystan! Awesome job SweetiePie! RIP FireDancer. =(

NovaHunter is a cool name!

Ok, I've decided that I'll be allowed to use the Golbat. It was the first wild encounter in the Ice Path. It probably won't do me much good, but we'll see.

The rules I'm following (from the beginning) are the basics, plus:
*I am not allowed to run from battle, ever. If I manage to catch a pokemon that knows Roar or Teleport I can use that though.
*Battle Style = Set. All the way.

Funny thing is, that Rival battle is very easy. When looking for the complete name/stats list for the above post, I ran the rival twice, and easily won, both times. It was just a poor run of luck, with the -Attack Stat, followed by a Rock Blast, hitting 5 times to just barely KO FireDancer, with a Critical Hit in there I think.

"Rock Blast: The user hurls hard rocks at the foe. Two to five rocks are launched in quick succession."

I was also using those two rules (one kind of forced.) I wasn't running from any encounter (PP never actually became an issue, although it did get pretty close, and I did use one or two ethers.) Also, being a Solo run, I wan't allowing myself to switch to remove Confusion. The only times I switched were in Doubles Battle, when I pretty much had to sacrifice a lower level and wanted to keep Zubat alive.

Reading those names, I quite like a number of them. Let's just say they're somewhat of a Pony reference in the style of the names. Ember Dash for Ponyta was a direct reference to Rainbow Dash. ;)

Good luck with your continuation. Since I'm fairly close, I might be joining you soon in Silver.

Drystan: How unlucky. :( It seems the perfect storm came and got you. All the best completing the solo challenge.

SunsetVista: Yikes. Hopefully your team can recover and build in time for the upcoming mess of challenges. Not much room in the second half for improving easily...

It seems you are both on or heading or Silver, so will tackle that as well. HG/SS have Kyogre (!!!!), but the big battles are a lot nastier as well. Besides, really old school fun is nice. :p

I don't know Silver, but Togekiss, Guarados and Eevee sounds like a good start for a team. Or are they weaker in Silver?

Below is spoilered, as it is a detailed post of the final battle with the Elite 4, soloing with FireDancer, ~Level 86.

Well, it took a couple attempt, but Drystan and FireDancer have defeated the Elite 4, and Twibz!

Original deeds to Rival Battle Twibz, approaching Victory Road and the Elite 4, due to some poor luck, and bad move choices. I could've one-hit-KO'd that Pidgeot had I used Flame Thrower first. I thought Wing Attack at that level would KO it, but it only slivered, leading to the downfall of FireDancer.

They progressed through Victory Road, without a problem whatsoever, but were close to running out of PP by the end. While no ethers were required, it was getting close.

Lorelei was a pain. The first time we went against her, she got 3 out of 4 critical hits. Come off it! Serious? No way I could've won with that type of luck, but she KO'd FireDancer easily, with Surf critically hitting me three out of four times. I couldn't heal enough against that luck.

Tried again, and didn't get a streak of Criticals against me, so using timed potions and non-fire attacks, beat Lorelei down.

Bruno was no problem, nor was the Ghost-type leader. Lance was somewhat tough for FireDancer, but she managed to take out his little dragon-types.

One Max Potiono later, and bring on the Champion, Twibz!

FireDancer, level 87 vs:

Pidgeot, level 59:
Lesson learnt from my previous defeat. Flame Thrower all the way for a One-Hit-KO

Blastoise, level 63:
Wing Attack for nearly 50% damage.
Blastoise used Hydro Pump.
Criti-****ing-cal Hit. Of course... FireDancer hangs on by 1 HitPoint.

Max Potion
Blasoise used Bite - Bwahahaha.

FireDancer, using Slash! Almost there.
Blastoise used Rain Dance, and ate a Berry.

FireDancer, Slash for a Critical Hit (completely unrequired, but I'll take it...) and a KO.

Out comes Rhydon, level 59.
Time for a Metal Claw, super effective - for 95% health.
Rhydon used Rock Tomb, super effective, bringing FD to 50% HP.

Charizard, finish it with another Metal Claw.
Champion Twibz predictedly used a Full Restore, and the Metal Claw did significantly less damage than the first.

Max Potion for my FD, and get hit by another Rock Tomb.
Another Max Potion, for another Rock Tomb, but Rhydon misses!

Metal Claw again, slivering Rhydon, followed by another missed Rock Tomb! Why am I getting this lucky now it's not needed?

One more Full Restore by Twibz!
Metal Claw raises FD's Attack Stat. One more Metal Claw does it, and Rhydon faints.

Out comes Alakazam, level 57. Flame Thrower time! Alakazam uses Reflect, raising his teams Defense. Still, Flame Thrower is Special, and instantly KO's Alakazam.

Next up, a level 61 Exeggcutor. Flame Thrower for the Super-Effective Special attack. One-hit-KO.

Finally, Arcanine, level 59, using Intimidate to lower FD's attack.

Arcanine, Extreme Speed, for a fricken Critical Hit... FD, Wing Attack.
Both wind up with about 80% health.

Extreme Speed again, against a Slash attack. FireDancer is in front now.
Extreme Speed verse Slash, and FireDancer is pulling ahead.

The effects of Reflect wore off.
Arcanine used Flame Thrower for a Critical Hit. Oh well... FireDancer, Slash! Finish it!

And it's over. (15:47)

I'll be capturing everything I can now to get the National Dex, as I believe that lets you into a new area, then also going into Cerulean Cave to find Mewtwo. Also, as FireDancer is now level 91, I might be aiming for my first ever Level 100 Pokemon. Seven Rare Candies have been saved, so I don't need to level too much.

I'll be joining Sunset on Silver once I've finished the last little mini-quests of LeafGreen. Are SS and Silver different versions? I know SS is Soul Silver, but is it just a title thing?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High