New Patch is Coming!

Finally they released the patch notes. They made several changes to the new Runewords but most importantly... Terror Zones offline!

To spice things up further, we have made changes to Terror Zones. Also, Terror Zones are now available in offline games! Offline Terror Zones will operate on a different schedule from their online counterpart but function the same otherwise. Remember, you can now receive Sundering Charms as a drop in offline Terror Zone games too.

Check the rest notes here:

Finally they released the patch notes. They made several changes to the new Runewords but most importantly... Terror Zones offline!

To spice things up further, we have made changes to Terror Zones. Also, Terror Zones are now available in offline games! Offline Terror Zones will operate on a different schedule from their online counterpart but function the same otherwise. Remember, you can now receive Sundering Charms as a drop in offline Terror Zone games too.

Check the rest notes here:
That's great news! Also:

The Assassin's trap skills now benefit from -% to Enemy Resistance.

There we go! My keyrunner trapsin has a Griffon's!

Also, new runewords are buffed!

Very glad to see Terror Zones offline, there's a lot to digest here.

Some big ones I saw:
1. -Enemy Resistance% now applies to Traps
2. Shockwave damage bug fixed (RIP shockwave druids)
3. Hustle is an insane weapon for its price (Level 1 BoS + Level 1 Fanaticism + 30 IAS + 180-200% ED, 3 sockets so it can be made in almost all weapon types)
4. Ranged enchant now benefits from the Fire Mastery double-dip "bug" like melee.

And a lot more stuff to look at as well.

Reactions: Jpy and Excalibur
Like lightning traps needed to be stronger. This is just easy mode.
Why do they feel D2 needs to be like D3 and every ladder reset has to have some crappy tweaks? Hopefully this rubbish goes away when D4 comes out and their attention goes there.

This is just easy mode.

Agreed. Don't mean to sound like a raging teenager, but they really don't seem to understand that D2 is really figured out and just easy -- there is absolutely no need to make it easier with stuff like sunder charms and -res for traps etc...

Admittedly, I would have preferred them not touching the original game at all, but even when changing things up, I just don't get the approach of taking away the very few tiny challenges that remain in the game.

I mean it doesn't destroy the game of course and I'm gonna keep playing D2R occasionally at least... farm the Sunder Charms etc. and build chars around how the game is developing... but still kinda sad to see it developing that way.

You know? If I wanted to remove easy mode in Diablo 2 I'd start by nerf hork to obliteration.
Blizzard apparently didn't think so and buffed both Berserk and Find Item a few patches back. :) Making the single best MF build even better for no reason at all.

But at least it didn't mess with core game mechanics such as immunities...

I saw this interesting item recently:

TLDW: Andy bug never went away, and if you did talk to Warriv right after killing Andy, you get worse drops on terrorized Andy. Hooray. :rolleyes:

Edit: looking at the patch notes, this has probably been fixed.

Last edited:
It's been a while since i wanted to try a phoenix striker assassin
I was saving up Cham for a dual plague, but it seems no longer necesary with this mosaic runeword coming around
Also, I'm curious to try TZ and farm sunder charms

"Hustle" is a cool little runeword. A few others look interesting. It does feel like some of the changes just make things easier in a blanket way, though. I'll probably try to farm some Sunder Charms or whatever, but it does make things like untwinked/HC/single pass more appealing when some of this stuff gets too overbuffed. 🤷‍♂️

I'm wondering if this and Diablo3 getting its coolest patch in years is trying to get all possible Diablo fans playing some version of the game, having fun and thinking about Diablo to get hyped for the upcoming D4. I'm happy that Sunder Charms are coming to Offline, and the chance to get higher into the 90s, maybe even a level 99 as someone not so addicted to the game as I used to be. Keep in mind no matter what the meta game may be, we can make the game as easy or difficult as we wish it to be. I remember back in the 1.09 days some who would never use Buriza.

Personally I like the changes, especially the Terror zone changes, gives me more things to farm in SP and helps my 99 progress as well. I don't have the time I once did to play, so it's a nice change.

Reactions: DarkMaster
Like lightning traps needed to be stronger. This is just easy mode.
Why do they feel D2 needs to be like D3 and every ladder reset has to have some crappy tweaks? Hopefully this rubbish goes away when D4 comes out and their attention goes there.
trapsin changes are the strongest indicator that these devs are braindead and disconnected from the reality of the game.

couple of thoughts -

It's insane to me that these are the patch notes and that in retrospect these are the changes that came to d2r across all patches after all this time. Terror zones might be the only great thing to come out of d2r - but everything else feels like either completely irrelevant and unexciting OR a step in the complete wrong direction. In addition to that... Terror zones being the only truly "new content" is a laughing stock. Every mod to the game adds new content, new areas, new bosses, to the game and yet we get exactly none. Sure it can be viewed as sticking to the original game but I'm frankly sick of that because it's the game I've been playing for decades. If I want to play the old game I'd just boot it up and play it. Like d2r should have stuck to the updated graphics because now I can't even play the updated graphics version of d2lod, I have to play the shitty worse version of the game if I want to play with updated graphics.

The fact that they didn't add the simplest most requested slam dunks of all time (stacking runes/gems) is perplexing? Like mods did it right away and it's easily the most wanted feature of ALL TIME. Even something like a loot filter. Is it necessary? No but it's a slam dunk. Allow people to easily customize what they're seeing. These are things that don't change the core gameplay loop but make a world of difference qol wise. They would have generated so much hype weirdly.

Adding more runewords is stupid. Why add more runewords when 90% of the game is magic finding and 99% of the unique/set items you find on the ground are worthless? The absolute state of set item weapons is hilarious. Why is this allowed to go on? Why is death's set one of the greatest melee sets in the game? Why is cathan's a 6 piece set that absolutely blows ass but you have no hope of putting together on a playthrough? Why are so many unique items outclassed by far easier to obtain runewards? It doesn't make sense since you have a guaranteed way of farming them. The fact that you can have hustle for a KO rune and OATH is allowed to go on while unique melee weapons suck so much ass makes me so angry. Why is the Grandfather allowed to exist in its current state when compared to oath???? This is the most infuriating thing. It's so obvious that it's perplexing why these problems aren't addressed?

The fact that melee remains in the worst state its been ever is baffling. It's so annoying to me that melee hit cap is 95%. It made sense when mana sucked, but now it doesn't. Mana is easy to get and to get endless amounts of it so there's no reason to balance against melee, melee is weak af when it comes to clear speed and so there's no logical reason that hit cap should be 95%. It makes the game annoying to play for no apparent reason.

How about some really simple stuff like the horrible implementation of force move? Tons of mods to the original LOD have been doing it better for years. Why is the force move in D2R so bad? I don't understand how this isn't a point of outrage when compared to modern games? Like it only force moves you every 1/3rd of a second, it takes forever to update and it ends up eating your inputs all the time and it's clunky and feels bad and weird.

I think the worst part of this patch is that it was so apparently coming. They were quiet about the specifics which signaled to me that it was going to be nothing besides the runewords and here we are. I was refreshing waiting for the patch notes but expecting exactly this. At least there's terror zones, I'll probably check those out and see if I can push up my level on a few characters that didn't really have a good shot at it before but that's it as far as the game goes these days at least in my eyes.

Last edited:
trapsin changes are the strongest indicator that these devs are braindead and disconnected from the reality of the game.

couple of thoughts -

It's insane to me that these are the patch notes and that in retrospect these are the changes that came to d2r across all patches after all this time. Terror zones might be the only great thing to come out of d2r - but everything else feels like either completely irrelevant and unexciting OR a step in the complete wrong direction. In addition to that... Terror zones being the only truly "new content" is a laughing stock. Every mod to the game adds new content, new areas, new bosses, to the game and yet we get exactly none. Sure it can be viewed as sticking to the original game but I'm frankly sick of that because it's the game I've been playing for decades. If I want to play the old game I'd just boot it up and play it.

The fact that they didn't add the simplest most requested slam dunks of all time (stacking runes/gems) is perplexing? Like mods did it right away and it's easily the most wanted feature of ALL TIME. Even something like a loot filter. Is it necessary? No but it's an easy slam dunk. Allow people to easily customize what they're seeing. These are things that don't change the core gameplay loop but make a world of difference qol wise. They would have generated so much hype weirdly.

Adding more runewords is stupid. Why add more runewords when 90% of the game is magic finding and 99% of the unique/set items you find on the ground are worthless? The absolute state of set item weapons is hilarious. Why is this allowed to go on? Why is death's set one of the greatest melee sets in the game? Why are so many unique items outclassed by far easier to obtain runewards? It doesn't make sense since you have a guaranteed way of farming them. The fact that you can have hustle for a KO rune and OATH is allowed to go on while unique melee weapons suck so much ass makes me so angry.

The fact that melee remains in the worst state its been ever is baffling. It's so annoying to me that melee hit cap is 95%. It made sense when mana sucked, but now it doesn't. Mana is easy to get and to get endless amounts of it so there's no reason to balance against melee, melee is weak af when it comes to clear speed and so there's no logical reason that hit cap should be 95%. It makes the game annoying to play for no apparent reason.

How about some really simple stuff like the horrible implementation of force move? Tons of mods to the original LOD have been doing it better for years. Why is the force move in D2R so bad? I don't understand how this isn't a point of outrage when compared to modern games? Like it only force moves you every 1/3rd of a second, it takes forever to update and it ends up eating your inputs all the time and it's clunky and feels bad and weird.

I think the worst part of this patch is that it was so apparently coming. They were quiet about the specifics which signaled to me that it was going to be nothing besides the runewords and here we are. I was refreshing waiting for the patch notes but expecting exactly this. At least there's terror zones, I'll probably check those out and see if I can push up my level on a few characters that didn't really have a good shot at it before.
I agree. Rune words are way too OP compared to sets and unique.

It makes no sense that relatively easy rune words like oath, insight etc outclassed even the most hard to find S/U.

Last edited:
The fact that they didn't add the simplest most requested slam dunks of all time (stacking runes/gems) is perplexing? Like mods did it right away and it's easily the most wanted feature of ALL TIME. Even something like a loot filter. Is it necessary? No but it's a slam dunk. Allow people to easily customize what they're seeing. These are things that don't change the core gameplay loop but make a world of difference qol wise.

For something so often requested, and seemingly easy to fix, "perplexing" is a kind word for their decision to once again ignore this.

For something so often requested, and seemingly easy to fix, "perplexing" is a kind word for their decision to once again ignore this.
Could be the thought process like along the lines of charms, the importance of making decisions based on available space. Or it could be technically really difficult to implement behind the scenes, or it could open up vulnerabilities for duping. And of course it doesn't really matter for us since we can just mule off easily, but for MP it'd be big.

TBH I don't really care about this so much but seeing how much the community has talked about it since the beginning of time I kind of thought it was a possibility.

I briefly watched some patch review vids on youtube last night .. I kinda stopped after reading that "traps will be affected by - light res" - that they are no longer considered "minions" like before.

I'm like "okay, this is kinda crazy ..."

My trapsin is already powerful only to be held in check by Light Immunes that my merc's Infinity cannot break iirc. Now that we have Sunder charms - will this be a situation it's just gonna bit a bit harder to get that first corpse before my first death sentry trap goes off and starts to finish the rest?

good thing I don't have a Griffon's yet this time around. Guess I have to farm harder lol.

Keep in mind no matter what the meta game may be, we can make the game as easy or difficult as we wish it to be.
But that is a very SPF way of looking at the game. 90+ % of the player base just goes for a power build. They demand "moar powa!" and the devs seem to give it to them.

Trapper with Griffon's, Crescent Moon and a Sunder charm can surely just trap the corners of the screen and kill everything without even seeing it. You can even kick with the CM and static everything too.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High