New Patch is Coming!

Excalibur

Guide Author
Jul 3, 2012
www.youtube.com
As it seems, along with the ladder reset for D2R a new patch will be coming. PTR will begin next week!
And new Runewords? šŸ˜®

Itā€™s me, new info!
We are currently looking at ramping up a PTR for early next week. Big focus will be testing out some new runewords.
You may start to see those over the weekend from some friends. The team is looking forward to the feedback.

Can I get a cube recipe to change the base items of s/u helms? Love my Harlequin Crests but all my characters look like dorks in them.

JK. New Runewords, eh? You've piqued my interest!

Great news !
I also hope Terror zones will be brought into SP although I don't have too much hope
My main fear is that they keep the habit of reserving new patches to Multi players only
Looking forward to seeing those new runewords, if itcould enhance some underused builds it could be very interesting !

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
I have seen these on Reddit:

wq0664zf79da1.png

Mostly untwinked stuff, then. Bulwark will get some use for a low level merc and that's that.

Reactions: Coyote_Sly
They come from MacroBioBoi's stream of Day1 Runewords as far as I'm concerned, but I have not seen it personally so can't confirm. They are not all, for what I have read. Dbrunsky already confirmed he got other runeword (ShaelIoAmn I'm guessing). Video coming soon.

Last edited:
I wonder if they added those Runewrods to somehow balance the -Resists from Sunder Charms. Absorb is usually a rare mod.
I would like to see Runewords that have the possibility of creating a new unique build.

Thatā€™s interesting but I would rather hear about Terror Zones and Sunder GCs in Single Player. Guess Iā€™ll have to check YouTube over the weekend for videos showcasing new rune wordsā€¦
I would love to see TZ but I don't like Sunder Charms. I think it was a rusty addition due to many players complaining about immunities.

I wish I could be excited for this. Instead I just find myself annoyed that *once again* if I want to keep playing I have to take hours and manually cycle my stashes through the shared to upgrade, and it just feels more and more tedious and less and less worth it.

For that matter all of the runewords seem...disappointing. does the SS hell actually solve any of the issues with those builds? Nope, but it does make *another* class specific unique obsolete. Yay! How bout that claw? Is it even as impactful as, say, fixing next hit delay and allow MA sins to actually benefit from all their charge up skills? Not even close!

It gets harder and harder to stay excited about the game as they screw with it over time.

Last edited:
PTR has started and it seems to have only the new 8 Runewords for testing which is disappointing but..

The new Rune Words are only a portion of the content arriving with Patch 2.6, stay tuned for what else is to come when the Patch officially releases.

Fingers crossed that another "portion" of the new patch addresses quality of life things, like stacking runes/gems/etc.

I would love to see TZ but I don't like Sunder Charms. I think it was a rusty addition due to many players complaining about immunities.
Yeah, immunity is a bit of a tricky subject. It's gonna be hard for the devs to please all players (or perhaps even just a small majority of players!). I don't have an issue with immunities and honestly my ideal preference is for it to be impossible to break immunities in any way--but that ain't happening. IMO, whether playing solo or in a group, you can build your character/party to be able to handle immunities well enough. But we all know how the game actually works, and many players, even those that don't complain about the concept of immunities, still like to find ways to break immunities to optimize their builds as much as possible. This ends up placing a high level of importance on certain items (looking at you, 'Infinity' :mad:) and I think it limits the amount of creativity that people will put into character builds. I'd like to think that using a Sunder GC instead to break a specific monster immunity could maybe leave more room for different skill and gear choices. More flexibility and variety is a good thing. I also like that you don't need to farm high runes or certain rare unique items--just beat the game and then farm in Terror Zones until you find the Sunder GC that you need. And the trade-off they introduce is at least somewhat interesting, though I doubt it's very difficult to account for the resistance penalty you get when equipping one. I dunno, maybe someday I'll get a chance to actually try TZs and Sunder GCs, and perhaps I will end up not liking the whole concept. But, on paper, I think it could be OK. Not my first choice with regards to how to handle immunities, but I think I like it better than what's being going on before they were introduced.

Reactions: Excalibur
Yeah, immunity is a bit of a tricky subject. It's gonna be hard for the devs to please all players (or perhaps even just a small majority of players!). I don't have an issue with immunities and honestly my ideal preference is for it to be impossible to break immunities in any way--but that ain't happening. IMO, whether playing solo or in a group, you can build your character/party to be able to handle immunities well enough. But we all know how the game actually works, and many players, even those that don't complain about the concept of immunities, still like to find ways to break immunities to optimize their builds as much as possible. This ends up placing a high level of importance on certain items (looking at you, 'Infinity' :mad:) and I think it limits the amount of creativity that people will put into character builds. I'd like to think that using a Sunder GC instead to break a specific monster immunity could maybe leave more room for different skill and gear choices. More flexibility and variety is a good thing. I also like that you don't need to farm high runes or certain rare unique items--just beat the game and then farm in Terror Zones until you find the Sunder GC that you need. And the trade-off they introduce is at least somewhat interesting, though I doubt it's very difficult to account for the resistance penalty you get when equipping one. I dunno, maybe someday I'll get a chance to actually try TZs and Sunder GCs, and perhaps I will end up not liking the whole concept. But, on paper, I think it could be OK. Not my first choice with regards to how to handle immunities, but I think I like it better than what's being going on before they were introduced.
I think my central issue with Sunder Charms seems that they aren't super creative. A runeword that gives a Conviction aura is something that has to be worked into a build somewhat strategically. Another Infinity-esque item could really shift builds around and open up new combinations. I always enjoy the process of putting together the puzzle of certain builds, carefully assembling the pieces and seeing what fits. There's generally a very strategic trade-off to items that bestow a desirable bonus. Sunder Charms, however, fit anywhere: you just plop in your inventory with some resists charms to make up for the penalty. It seems more of an across the board switch to flip to turn off immunities rather than a puzzle piece. Now, you have to farm them, so it's not like they're just automatic or anything.

I'm not a dev, and don't really have the knowledge of you guys, but it seems like to me a new RW for Swords that had say... a Conviction aura and a 33% CTC Lower Resists, and could break some immunities similarly to Infinity could make new builds really fun. You could use A5 merc, etc. Or maybe like an extra Nithalak-style optional quest that bestowed a Larzuk-type reward of making an item ethereal and indestructible, and only at Hell level, to make some of the Sets/Unique melee weapons viable? I don't know... those are probably stupid ideas, but they would make builds that required planning rather than just "Oh now all you have to do is get this charm and every build works because immunities are effectively off."

Reactions: snickersnack
They definitely changes things, but so did the 1.10 and 1.11 runewords, removing OKs from being able to cast IM, or even the 1.13 changes to rune drops.

I mostly play melee characters and the only immunity that I usually care about is physical, but since 1.10 the game has offered ways to break most PIs. So, being able to find a GC that breaks PIs will give me more flexibility in the merc I choose and the equipment he and I wear.

I also think that these Sunder Charms will result in more single skill builds. You want to specialize in one elemental damage no problem, just make sure you have the appropriate Sunder charm. Not much different from having your merc carry an Infinity around so that you don't have to split your skills.

The game is not what I started playing in 2001. Until 1.10 only Sorcs could teleport, only Barbs could issue Battle orders and Druids turn into wolves or Bears and no respecs. All of the runewords and uniques that offer skills from other characters or make changes to enemy resistances started with 1.10. And for the vast majority of us those runewords with Ber or Jah in them were a dream. In many ways I think that the Sunder Charms are an outgrowth of those off-skill runewords and uniques.

Now instead of hunting for a special unique or a good base and runes you need to search for a grand charm. The question for me is how easy it is to find these charms. If they are the same or harder to find than a Gheed's than that's probably OK. I also don't think they are in the same class of game changer as the Anni and Torch charms.

We spend a lot of time in the late game. More time than say, playing untwinked and farming items for the rest of the characters (unless you always play like that, or have an untwinked project here and there). I enjoy having more end game goals like ā€œhave at least 1 Sundered Charm of each typeā€ and then work towards getting better rolls. I had a lot of fun farming torches for the first time, it was refreshing, and I think I will have a great time farming for Sundered Charm inside the new Terror Zones too.

I have mixed feelings about the sundered immunities themselves. I like the idea of being able of farming everywhere, so I can change the pace. But, at the same time, it kinda discourages the purpose of having a specialized build for each place.

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
Good points, especially your @LouB about PIs. And to be honest if Sunder charms do come to single-player, I will use them and likely enjoy them.

Reactions: coju
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High