New 1.07/1.08 Magic Find Meta?

Double post: crossed the border while writing and internet bugged out :D

Last edited:
Waitwat. You are doing 100k MF thingie?

EDIT: Assuming you are doing 100k MF breakpoint, what's the percentage of highest tier items coming from regulars vs from bosspacks
Damn right. It might take more prep, but I only need o-n-e drop. Compare that with 11 years of on and off farming for tyrael's and it sounds like a walk in the park. Maybe I even find a stormspire along the way.

Bosspacks have been worthless. Unfortunately this holds true even for the icy cellar.
Distribution of weap/armor87+ drops:

Bosspacks = 0%
Everything else = 100%

I am considering making a guide as long as this project doesnt take too long. Considering the drops so far, I would estimate it shouldnt take more than a month. Though from today im on a two week vacation in France.

@ziambe That's very quick. I've got a hard time to make the Souls cooperate. If you could ever share some tips on how you do the Ritual, it would be greatly appreciated
While I have been studying soul behaviour cloesly, I want to wait with any conclusions until I make a guide. For now I can suggest the following:
  • You dont need all 4 wisps by you
  • The 4 wisps do need to be within close proximity (im guessing one screen) to each other
  • Do it on the corner of the map
  • If the ritual doesnt start within 2 minutes, something isnt right

So wait, you just stand there with enough idr/mdr for souls to do no damage and then go afk? I've noticed once they start attacking me with melee hits ritual just never starts again, but it might just be me being impatient.

EDIT: Okay, nvm, it was just me being impatient. next question is how much idr do you need for souls to do zero damage?

Last edited:
I crafted greater safety weapons, rings and amulet. Still switching between things when i roll an upgrade. I think i have about 75 or so at the moment with gladiators bane

Reactions: vulkendino
I'm sitting somewhere in 100-110 range with Gerke and rep life/pdr greater safety ring. Whatever damage they can do gets regenerated over the course of rituals even with broken gear pieces. Also using 4 Sol 4os armor atm. Gbane might be better, but attacker takes damage of 20 sounds scary to me, even if I didn't test it.

But yeah, plugging the numbers in calculator, stacking 100k MF is the way of doing it, especially when it can be done semi passively in this manner. I don't think Stormspire is remotely realistic goal tbh. With average 100 mobs that can drop it and 50% FI that would require ~2500 clears with 100k MF. I'd really like to get it however. There isn't even a screenshot of damn thing anywhere on internet.

Most 1.08 uniques are just trophies. TCs arent very well implemented yet in 1.08. IMO there isnt much point in farming outside of act 5.

From 1.09 (or maybe 1.10) onwards MF is reworked with diminishing returns. I.e. you cannot force uniques like you can in 1.07 and 1.08. So one (or even half of one) ritual is more than enough.

I think that the best application in current patches is that it allows you to replace all mf charms with dmg supplementing ones.

So basically we don't need MF characters anymore.
Get the strongest one you have, make the ritual and farm from Act1 till Act5.
Would that work?
Even in 1.07/8 this probably isn't best thing to start you out in game. You still need to make souls cooperate and all that, but you need character that can actually kill act4 Hell stuff which isn't trivial. When you can do it, sure, absolutely go for it, but I think some LK and racking will still be needed to get you started.

But once you can do it you can quickly get everything in the game. I'm certain I've seen every normal and exceptional unique item drop (didn't really pick them all), except some TC3 like Kneel Striker or Bane Ash. As for elite ones... well the list is going forward at decent rate.
sos2.png

Do we have items sorted by TC fir 1.08 anywhere on forums? Mostly curious so I can track near misses :D

Last edited:
Do we have items sorted by TC fir 1.08 anywhere on forums? Mostly curious so I can track near misses :D
I dont think so. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall 6 weapons each in weapon 90 and weapon 87. Im sure of the following:

War Pike
Caduceus
Archon Staff
Glorious Axe
Beserker Axe
Unearthed Wand
Scissors Suwuyyah
Hydra Bow

I think the remaining are

Legend Spike
Giant Thresher
Colossus Blade
Mythical Sword

I made a list but of course its at home. I used the weapon.txt file in the atma config folder.

Reactions: frozzzen
What are "near misses" even supposed to be?
You still need to make souls cooperate and all that, but you need character that can actually kill act4 Hell stuff which isn't trivial.
Don't underestimate unique hunting in nightmare - takes about twice as many rituals, but still has a very good pool of uniques. And indeed, it's by far the best source of uniques in that pesky TC 42, as nothing in hell has a good drop rate for them. I did a p5 run in a2 and first part of a3 NM with enough MF top force uniques from regular mobs, and got seven or eight missing grailers in a single run. Two more items to go...

Last edited:
Reactions: coju
So, did the ritual 3 times in d2r and did not get any updated drop rate. Had 4 souls. They look pretty neat. Any idea why it doesn’t work?

So, did the ritual 3 times in d2r and did not get any updated drop rate. Had 4 souls. They look pretty neat. Any idea why it doesn’t work?
First, are you sure it was the right ritual? There're two of them. One is four souls spelling DEM`´RAS at least that's what I'm reading, the other is five souls forming a pentagram with you in the middle. However, sometimes one soul is stuck or whatever, and you see are one fewer soul than expected performing the ritual.
Second, the drop rate of uniques isn't increased that much, because of diminishing returns on MF. The full MF is only applied to magic items, for higher rarities, only an increasingly small sliver is used. A well equipped MF char has maybe something like 800 MF, that translate to an effective MF for uniques of 190. 4k MF give you an effective MF for uniques of 235. 12k MF grant an effective MF for uniques of 244. You see practically every drop be magic, but won't see a huge number of drops of higher rarity.

Reactions: coju
It was the Demkras ritual.

Ok. I was expecting drops like the screen shots for 1.07. I can try again.

Thank you for the detailed response

Even in 1.07/8 this probably isn't best thing to start you out in game. You still need to make souls cooperate and all that, but you need character that can actually kill act4 Hell stuff which isn't trivial. When you can do it, sure, absolutely go for it, but I think some LK and racking will still be needed to get you started.
I was mostly referring to the majority of the players here that already have high end characters. It was always fun to make new MF characters to farm at new places but reading the posts above it seems like what I said would be eventually more profitable. Not to mention with TZ Andariel, MF hunting has become quite pointless and now this comes into play as well.

Was gonna say...people could be getting the wrong idea of this easter egg outside of 1.07/1.08.

Once again, in 1.10+/d2r you will never need to do more than 1 ritual and it will never produce all uniques/sets.

It will simply allow you to remove all magic find gear and charms and replace it with items that increase your kill speed.

I was mostly referring to the majority of the players here that already have high end characters. It was always fun to make new MF characters to farm at new places but reading the posts above it seems like what I said would be eventually more profitable. Not to mention with TZ Andariel, MF hunting has become quite pointless and now this comes into play as well.

This does feel like terrorized Andariel with time lock but I think this is kinda reductive way to put it. Honestly, way of obtaining 1.07 uniques was always very dubious. Finding stable rack of X and then bashing your face against it 5 hours on average isn't exactly peak of entertainment no matter how you spin it. This does give you option of getting solid chance of getting good chunk of 1.07/8 uniques relatively fast while actually playing the game instead of racking. And even then some items you will still want to rack, like Set items, Arkaine's Valor/Grandfather which are too high TC to drop from 1.07 mobs, and still very rare in 1.08.

This ritual doesn't look relevant at all in 1.10+ or D2R considering by the time you make souls to cooperate there you could complete couple more runs of same area to the point where it's just not worth your time at all. For old version with MF breakpoints it's obviously more useful, however I think uniques aren't main appeal of old patches.

Code:
Shimmering Grand Charm of Maiming
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 37
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0x51fa79d
+18 to Maximum Damage
All Resistances +17

Shimmering Small Charm of Maiming
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 43
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0x37b1561a
+6 to Maximum Damage
All Resistances +5

Glacial Amulet of Luck
Required Level: 45
Item Level: 61
Fingerprint: 0x8e6c3da1
Fire Resist +32%
Lightning Resist +33%
Cold Resist +29%
Poison Resist +46%
34% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+3 to Cold Skills (Sorceress Only)

100k MF can't help you find items like this or old runes. This ritual thingie I see as overall positive thing, perhaps a bit of exercise in absurdity but it does give you options to have fun with game once again which is always a plus in my book.

Was gonna say...people could be getting the wrong idea of this easter egg outside of 1.07/1.08.

Once again, in 1.10+/d2r you will never need to do more than 1 ritual and it will never produce all uniques/sets.

It will simply allow you to remove all magic find gear and charms and replace it with items that increase your kill speed.
The ritual did work. Didn’t take much time really when I did it. I noticed an increase in blues and rares. A few uniques. Far more than I normally see in a play through.

When I first started playing d2 as a kid, I played with mods that affected drop rates, and this feels and looks similar to how those played out.

It just isn’t the same feeling as finding the items on luck or with a dedicated mfer. My taint will be clean on this one. Not that anyone would see it on console…

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High