My 21 single tree builds project

Re: My 21 single tree builds project

Kudos to you Nix.

I'm contemplating to do this same in HC with additional restrictions:

- Full clears, single pass
- No oskills from the two other tabs of the same class. Oskills from other classes, ctc and charges to any skill is allowed.
. Twinking allowed only with items found by these 21 characters or their deceased predecessors.

If only I had the time?

Almost there TheNix! :thumbup:

I'm actually contemplating on doing the same as you, though with only one change if you don't take into account me being vanilla:
-Untwinked

I've already done most of my single tree builds twinked so this would feel fresher/newer to me.
Or it could invoke suicidal tendencies >_>

I did this challenge about 5-6 years ago, except I didn't use any OS's or off-tree Staffmods.

The passive barb was incredibly easy compared to the curse necro and the defensive pally, even the combat skills pally and barb were difficult compared to a passive barb. The barb had both high defense and some albeit little bonuses to damage, the key to both the passive barb and the defensive pally is CB. CB early and CB often or face the long battles with all the bosses, especially the ancients and Baal. Trust me there is nothing more intense than a 30+ min fight with the ancients.

I did this challenge about 5-6 years ago.......

I think it was you that motivated me in the first place. Was that back in the 1.09 days?

......... except I didn't use any OS's or off-tree Staffmods.

I was considering this, but I knew that if I went down that route, I'd never have the time, or motivation, to finished it. It might be somewhat half-arsed, but it kept me interested. Who knows, I might even finish it. Still two bloody sorcs to go!!! AARRGGGHHH, I hate the sorc!

It was in 1.10 just after it came out, remember though I only played through Nightmare as I anticipated I would not be able to complete Hell with all my Characters (I was definitely right on that one).

The Sorcs are easy, remember you have more skill points than usually just use them, thunder storm is a nice essentially free passive damage, chain lightning seems to be the easiest skill to beef up, but like all the sorc trees they are bad against immunes if you are going to Hell them you must come up with a secondary skill, believe it or not a leaf staff with +3 firewall does some pretty decent damage. but that is up to you. for the ice sorc I went FO and GS I remember the FO doing most of the work though it's a great skill for 20 points let alone when you have 20 you can put into its synergy and CM, the issue is still immunes but if you can figure out how to deal with them you can keep distance between you and the monsters (which is important with sorcs).

Another one bites the dust, the last of the Barbs, the Masteries Barb. This one was an interesting build, so I have done a full write up here.

Amazon - COMPLETE

- Javelin - Flinger, COMPLETE
- P & M - Strumpet, COMPLETE
- Bow/xbow - Cupids_Kiss, COMPLETE

Assassin - COMPLETE

- Martial Arts - Ballbreaker COMPLETE
- Shadow Dis. - Mind_Freller COMPLETE
- Traps - Sapper_Girl COMPLETE

Barbarian - COMPLETE

- Warcries - The_Bard COMPLETE
- C.Masteries - Bunta COMPLETE
- Combat - Dust_Devil COMPLETE

Druid - COMPLETE

- Elemental - Flatulent_Fred COMPLETE
- S. Shifter - Fido COMPLETE
- Summoning - Beastdancer COMPLETE

Necro - COMPLETE

- Summoning - Skellidancer, COMPLETE
- P & B - Osty_O COMPLETE
- Curses - Gordon_Ramsay COMPLETE

Paladin

- Defensive - Kalten, lvl 20, Act 2: Normal > Defiance/Max Resist/Dam Reduction
- Offensive - BO, lvl 75, Act 1: Hell > Fanaticism/ Holy Shock?
- Combat - Sparhawk, COMPLETE

Sorceress

- Cold - Chillout-chick, Lvl 26, Act 2: Normal > Blizzard
- Lightning - Sparkette, Lvl 20, Act 2: Normal > CL/Light (what else is there really?)
- Fire - Firedancer, COMPLETE

You can tell my two least favorite builds, can't you?

After some time in 1.13, the call of this project pulled me kicking and screaming back into its clammy arms. This time the single tree Lightning sorc bites the dust. Maxing Nova and LM, combined with a Spirit sword and an Insight merc early meant an easy progress through to Hell. So easy it really felt as if I was cheating. By the time I hit hell, I had maxed Lightning and CL. After beefing up the synergies I was doing something like 5 - 16500 damage for Lightning and 5 - 7500 with 11 hits for CL. LI were dealt with by Snowclash, an Orb on switch with Blizz, GS and CM, slow but effective. All in all, not much of a challenge.

Amazon - COMPLETE

Assassin - COMPLETE

Barbarian - COMPLETE

Druid - COMPLETE

Necro - COMPLETE

Paladin

Sorceress

- Cold - Chillout-chick, Lvl 26, Act 2: Normal > Blizzard
- Lightning - Sparkette, COMPLETE

ONLY THREE MORE TO GO!!!

Holidays, ain't they great. They allow you to catch up with some important work, like finishing this bloody project. Chillout_Chick was my cold sorc and with a fully synergized Blizzard and -160% to cold resist from CM, anything not CI simply melted away. No pun intended. I dealt with CI's using a Memory staff, with SF & Teleport, on switch. I thought I'd SF the baddies to half and let my merc do the rest. Some battles went on forever, CI/PI's were unkillable. I shoulda put more thought into that tactic really!

Amazon - COMPLETE

Assassin - COMPLETE

Barbarian - COMPLETE

Druid - COMPLETE

Necro - COMPLETE

Paladin

Sorceress - COMPLETE

- Cold - Chillout-chick, COMPLETE

ONLY TWO MORE TO GO!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Congrats on getting this far - masterfully done hero!

I love the names from books by David Eddings (I too use names from there) I take it you're a fan.

I love the names from books by David Eddings (I too use names from there) I take it you're a fan.

I've got quite a few more Eddings names among my characters, so you could say I'm a fan. I've not long finished rereading the Bel/Mal series for the umpteenth time.

OT: I read those books all the time too. I prefer the Bel/Mal over the Ele/Tam - I think it's more descriptive and written better. But they have a lot of similarities to all his series. I have yet to read the final 2 books of The Dreamers and I guess I will re-read the first 2 of that series as I have forgotten what they are about. Have you read It?

Still on vacation so another one bites the dust, this time the Offensive aura pally, comically names BO. Once upon a time I used the Passion runeword for one of my single tree build, Strumpet I think, and I swore I'd never use it again. Unfortunately I was unable to find or trade an elite scepter with Zeal on it, so I ended up using the passion runeword again. Guess what? I swear I'll never use it again. 25% chance flee plus Zeal's five attacks equals chasing monsters all over the map. The build worked really well on bosses and champion pack, so the build was viable using only a combination of Zeal and either Fana, Lightning, Cold or Sanc. I mostly used Fana, but all the others were used successfully at various stages. I'm glad to have this one in the bag, but is does leave my ideas for my Defensive aura pally in need of a rethink.

Amazon - COMPLETE

Assassin - COMPLETE

Barbarian - COMPLETE

Druid - COMPLETE

Necro - COMPLETE

Paladin

- Defensive - Kalten, lvl 20, Act 2: Normal > ????
- Offensive - BO, COMPLETE

Sorceress - COMPLETE

ONLY ONE MORE TO GO!

I have yet to read the final 2 books of The Dreamers and I guess I will re-read the first 2 of that series as I have forgotten what they are about. Have you read It?

Sorry, IOU, I missed this, I've only just read the first in this series. I cannot get into it. If you haven't done so, read Regina's Song. It is a contemporary thriller that is quite spooky at times.

Ok cool I'll check it out - I know what you mean about not getting into those books - I'm struggling to myself!

Congrats on completing BO with your sanity intact.

Well, that's it. The final build was Kalten, my Defensive Aura pally. For a long while I dreaded this build. After the problems with the Offensive Aura pally I dreaded it even more. Toward the end of Normal difficulty I realised that I really needed a plan or else this build would go nowhere. I looked through my supply of runes, in 1.12 a lot more sparse than 1.13, to see what runewords I could make. Kingslayer jumped out at me (CB, OW and Vengeance), I already had a Duress armour (more CB and OW) so that looked like the start of a build. Then I noticed that all of Vengeance's synergies were in the Defensive Aura tree and the build was alive and well. I ended up with about 95% OW, 65% CB and +350% elemental damage. In the end this build because quite easy and a bit of fun too. A nice way to end the project!

Amazon - COMPLETE

Assassin - COMPLETE

Barbarian - COMPLETE

Druid - COMPLETE

Necro - COMPLETE

Paladin - COMPLETE

- Defensive - Kalten, COMPLETE
- Offensive - BO, COMPLETE

Sorceress - COMPLETE

Congratulations, nicely done! This is quite an accomplishment and it's been great to hear about your progress and your strategy

Kingslayer is a good choice, what did you make it in?

Kingslayer is a good choice, what did you make it in?

I ended up putting it in a cryptic sword. I thought it was the best balance of speed and average damage, besides I didn't have a great range of options. :whistling:

You actually pulled it off! Awesome.

Great solution for a challenging skills tree. :thumbup:

Now, the big question: What are you going to do now that it´s done?

Congratulations! It's been fun following this thread and your progress. Nicely done with the Defense Aura tree, indeed. I was wondering what you were gonna do about that one.

Good luck on your next endeavor!
--Greebo

Thanks guys. As for what's next, I'm doing some seasonal teaching from mid-feb to mid-march and I've still got to write up my PowerPoint presentations. After that I'll make my botd in the 1.07 eth BA and make a series of builds around that, starting with a botd/death frenzier. The 1.09 blender is still on my to do list too.

Nix, that's cool. I did the same with my defensive auras pally. I actually used that Kingslayer for my Fire sorc too but I put it in a Glorious Axe. The damage on both those characters was quite high. Congrats on finishing your project. I took a several months long break when my single tree triple sept was complete.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High