Missile Multitude MP Group featuring A3 mercs

maxicek

Guide Author
Aug 5, 2005
We didn't manage an MP Group in 2022 so, after kicking around a few ideas, here we go again. This thread is for general discussion & planning. We can also discuss details of time & dates here.

Plan to start on Sunday 5th of February. Normally takes two evenings, follow up session to be announced.
  • All characters use a ranged missle type attack. Novae, Blizzards, Meteors, Traps don't count. Fireball, Holy Bolt, Arrows, Glacial Spike are all fine. We don't have an exact list, so just ask in the thread if you re interested in joining.
  • Act 3 mercs only. Bring lots of gold, we can wait :)
  • Host will be 1.14d SC FAM, so your character will need to comply with this.
  • Starting point will be Hell A1, no quests done, so you need to get your character to Champion solo.
  • This will be all quests and waypoints, not a rush. Yes, even A2 Halls of the Dead. We will kill Nihlathak, but taking the WP is up to you.
  • Drops are shared. Pick items as you go, post readouts in the thread and ask if anyone is interested in them.
  • No chat software required, we do it old school by typing in game.
  • I plan on hosting games at about 14.00 EST / 19.00 GMT / 20.00 CET. Each session lasting about 2-3 hours, depending on peoples availability

Last edited:
I'm just going to go straight in with the table.

Code:
Name           Character        Class        Build                     Current Level
____           _________        _____        _____                     _____________
maxicek        Crowley          Necro        Dentist                   1 A1 Normal

That timeframe should work for me on Saturday, and hopefully Sunday. I have my throwbarb in A1 H, and he'll have to swap out to A3 merc. Hopefully someone else will be a Faith-wielding bow character to help him keep the Fanaticism aura, which I've found handy :)

Code:
Name           Character        Class        Build                     Current Level
____           _________        _____        _____                     _____________
maxicek        Crowley          Necro        Dentist                   1 A1 Normal
PhineasB       Bulls_Eye        Barb         Thrower                   72 A1 Hell

Edit: I know the A3 mercs aren’t especially useful, but any thoughts on gearing? My auradin went with cold A3 merc with Nightwing and FCR options, and he was left napping most of A4 and A5 as I recall (at p8, but solo). That might work better partied and with more facets/less FCR focus? Lightning merc with Crescent Moon, Griffons and some facets maybe? I believe Fire is broken due to inferno but maybe fire ball casts could be workable? I’m leaning toward lighting and trying to pump -eLR just to see how it goes, hopefully getting a bit stronger when he hits lvl 76 and Griffons.

Last edited:
Timing is rough on my end, I'll be on a weekend trip. Definitely won't make Saturday, but perhaps I can somehow squeeze in some time to join on Sunday (questing solo to wherever you guys progressed). We'll see!

I would be playing a ranger druid. I'd assume Oak is OK but probably other summons (to the extent they can attack enemies) are not?

Reactions: maxicek
How about we split the weekends and start Sunday 29th and finish the following Sunday?

This is looking quite underpowered - Are we going P8 again?
Oak is certainly OK for me, but maybe you & Phineas would prefer HoW? Other Druid summons are not that strong and we may need some kind of Tank. Depends how you feel and what the others think for me.

Im able to join this weekend and maybe next. Still thinking about what to play....is it an untwinked run?

@Maltatai Nice, your devotion to the preservation of life is notable!

If I am not mistaken, you didn't mention the ever popular
1674647699553.png

Or better yet
1674647633739.png

Or @maxicek 's favorite:
1674647665293.png

At the moment I am considering what it would take to get a lowly wolf's strength high enough to equip a Medusa's Gaze. However with up to 7 other chars running around and their lowly wolves as well, I doubt whether we would see much lower res from my lowly wolf.

2 questions:

Can CtC on striking effects trigger off of ATD items?

Is there a limit to how many sprites can be on screen (i.e. how lightning fury bolts can sometimes be invisible) such that 8 lighting iron wolves might end up doing the casting animation but nothing comes out?

a) I don't think so
b) I don't think we will have that many people, many of the others who joined before seem to have not beed around in a while. Based on PvP experience invisible missiles still do damage.

Was it an untwinked run?

Im still debating between the following (in no particular order):
  • Bramblezon
  • Explodazon
  • Boner
  • Enchantress (maybe with a faith)
  • Boltress
  • Conversiadin - i cant seem to find any info as to whether conversion works with ranged attacks... (faith+might seems like it would helpful for a zookeeper and throwbarb) nevermind :(
  • Revivemancer specializing in missile ressurrections :D
🤔

Reactions: PhineasB
Reviver with LR curse would likely be handy to support ranged elemental attacks of A3 mercs and any characters with elemental attacks. And I'd gladly welcome the Faith Enchantress to get that nice Fanatacism aura for Bulls_Eye!

@PhineasB @ffs Does this work better?
How about we split the weekends and start Sunday 29th and finish the following Sunday?

@ziambe It is most definately fully twinked. Typically people pick odd builds and try to make them as OP as possible.

My Dentist will have Amp only, no summons. It is almost like someone recently Patted one and I am following a template....

For Merc I have a bit more budget available than @Maltatai 's suggestions above, but it is gave sme great ideas, thanks for posting. I actually hadn't thought about Lawbringer on the A3 merc, the knockback could be very useful. Thanks for reminding me ziambe. I will go Glacial Spike for the freeze and focus on some FCR and survivability.

FCR for A3 Merc:
Frames1716151413121110
FCR081526395886138

(Edited: FCR numbers corrected)

Last edited:
@ziambe It is most definately fully twinked. Typically people pick odd builds and try to make them as OP as possible
:love: my favorite way to play

May I confess that I could not sleep last night due to my excitement!

I will try a poisonzon this afternoon as I have admittedly never tried the skill. Only 40 points (pierce not desirable?) would allow for a wacky backup as well like magic arrow

• Love
Reactions: maxicek
@maxicek playing over the two weekends should work for me.

@ziambe for Poisonzon, I think you definitely will want pierce (1 point plus Razortail should get to high percentage with +skills). Poison Javelin creates a poison cloud on each hit, so pierce means a single javelin can result in clouds over much of the screen with multiple hits. Without any pierce, I think the skill would be much less effective. Here’s a recent PJZon Mat that I completed, for reference.

Reactions: Zyr and maxicek
Code:
Name           Character        Class        Build        Merc                Current Level
____           _________        _____        _____        ____                _____________
maxicek        Crowley          Necro        Dentist      Cold + Lawbringer   76 A1 Hell
PhineasB       Bulls_Eye        Barb         Thrower                          72 A1 Hell

Added a column for merc details.

Here are the stats for A3 Normal merc at level 75:

Screenshot001.jpg

So no Spirit Monarch unless you get an extra 32 strength. I think we did this discussion ages ago, but the 140 FCR breakpoint is obviosly unachievable.
Edit: 22 Str if ethereal Monarch

Max damage 86 FCR setup:
  • Andariel's Visage (but level 83 :( )
  • Skin of the Vipermagi
  • Dual Spirit
  • You need to socket the armour with a Fal too.

Last edited:
Update: finished my playthrough of Bramby the Bramblezon....promptly after act 1 normal.

Bramby was immediately banished to the Rogue Encampment after discovering the casting delay of Plague Javelin. There she will spend at least slvl(Plague Javelin)*eternity until I develop the patience to use such a skill...!

Back to the drawing board.

Anyone has a last wish (phase blade i guess) for a lowly wolf? Although he would need quite a dex boost to use it

It's looking dire on my end, work exploded and basically I should sleep for a week starting tomorrow :D realistically I won't be ready on Sunday, but that shouldn't prevent you guys from getting started. Next week should be more relaxed so that I can catch up.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High