Median XL released!

Re: Median XL released!

sunstone of thunder quest takes place in another high area.
for getting the class charm you don't need to kill a totem at all. one necromancer it's outside his aura of immunities. go back there at lvl 70 75. anyway your charms i unusable till lvl 90

Yea, I tried running to it quite a few hundred times..but always got swarmed in the process, with rapture on cd heh. That's true, maybe I'll try again at 59, and if it still is a bit too much, I'll scrap the level 60 challenge as well. Thanks Nebux and CG

I think it is. But what I suggest is forgetting about doing Kurast 3000BA until level 70+. You should probably focus on getting the level 50 challenge charm from Tran Athulua first, then level to 60 to get the next one, then 70 for the last, etc. After that do K3KBA.

(edit) And you won't actually benefit from the Class Charm until level 90 anyways, so it can definitely wait.

(edit) With Tran Athulua this might be extremely useful.

Very interesting read. Since I won't play, my opinion does matter, but I do have a suggestion. I'm sure I'm not alone, some people (include me) likes to play against the machine on an even level. Forcing challenges under certain level would be a big turn off from game.

Trust me, you'll barely notice it when you're actually doing the challenges. The level requirements are very generous, so that you don't have to worry about leveling too quickly. Even on /players8. Also, the challenges are just challenges. You don't have to complete them in order to enjoy Median.

On another note, here is a Tran Athulua map with some extra teleport points painted on it. The ones in green should be usable by any means of teleportation. The one in purple is a little trickier. I know a necromancer can use it by summoning a lamia off-screen and bending to that lamia the instant it comes on screen, but I'm not sure about other teleporting skills.

And lastly, I've decided to try a cold-based druid next. Hunting Banshee is pretty cool, and Hailstorm looks plain awesome. Blizzard++, if you will. There's a cold/poison/charm build on the MXL forums that seems pretty interesting. That's one decision out of the way. On to choosing a suitable pet command! :D

There seems to be a little bit of confusion still. The K3KBA class charm challenge has absolutely nothing to do with the Tran Athulua sunstone challenges. You should definitely do all three sunstones and the class charm challenges (if possible - if you absolutely can't pull it off, it's not at all the end of the world), but there's no need whatsoever to do them before you have to. Go do the sunstone of thunder at level 50, ice at 60, fire at 70, K3KBA at 80. Of course, if you can handle it earlier than that, by all means go for it (particularly the sunstones, as all three are about the same amount of difficulty, and all three are usable at level 50).

-CG

Indeed, I realised my folly while thinking about it in bed. Lesson: learn to read >.<
*Hides in embarassment*

But thanks for the all the help guys! The links were especially useful.

:cloud9:

Very interesting read. Since I won't play, my opinion does matter, but I do have a suggestion. I'm sure I'm not alone, some people (include me) likes to play against the machine on an even level. Forcing challenges under certain level would be a big turn off from game.

So you want the monsters to have less than 10K life, but do 40K damage? That would be an even level... :)

Also, there's nothing that forces you to do a challenge. Skip it if you don't like it.

Laz, Laz, you've made this game way too hard. Games shouldn't require 1234ding sk1LLz! Nerf documentation :p

Okay, my fire/cold sorc oficially su* ^^

Level 60 and I'm getting pwnd @ act I, dark woods nightmare. Even my elementals can't tank a long time :/

Tried to do Astroga on normal today, it's minions swept me away :/ Problem is perhaps I have bad gear, but didn't have quite the luck...Have Pax Mystica on staff, Lumen Arcana with good resists and that Prodigy belt (the "HEL" runeword). I'm on Abyss and that first firespell + the diablo casting fire spell, didn't like Pyroblast quite a bit.

So, am I doing totally bad or what? And any tips for a nice summoner necro? Should I max it's minions without totems or what... o_O

And generally, any great sorceress tips will be appreciated (fire/cold sorc or cold/lite).

I first thought about the classical summonmancer. Then I decided to make something else.
No summoning at all, just my necro and his weapons!

These are the skills I'll max:

Buckshot (for melee)
Angel of Death (for Boss-killing)
Deathstrike (for long-range killing? I haven't tried it yet)
Howling Totem
Famine

Will it work? Time will tell, I'm still in the Black Marsh, level 21 character.

Things were slow 'till Darkwood, when I made myself this. After half an hour I found the unique Raptor Scythe. :thumbup:

I'm now struggling through the Countess' Tower...

Brother Laz said:
So you want the monsters to have less than 10K life, but do 40K damage? That would be an even level... :)

Also, there's nothing that forces you to do a challenge. Skip it if you don't like it.

Not like that, but I mean even level with common sense (well, if the monsters only spawn one at a time, has same HP as player, does same damage, then yes it is on true even level).

I got over RTS games (may try Starcraft 2 when its out, not sure yet) for this reason, I'm so sick of against machine with unlimited resources, big bad guns, huge army; while you have to manage with little resources, small army and crap weapon. The worst is adding time limit on top of those disadvantages.:steam:

Back to D2 related topic (or any other RPG), I'm a perfectionist (always try to get as close to perfect as possible). If there is a challenge, I HAVE to do it. Which means if I play your mod, I will "force" myself to do the challenge I don't like.

General speaking, for RPG, level restriction and time limit are the two biggest things I do not like.

Just got to the Kurast Bazaar (not had a lot of time to play) and I'm both loving and hting the "Monkey King" Elites - hating them because they deal quite a bit of damage, loving them because they are Gorillas throwing exploding barrels!

BTW Arneb - that picture's not working for me. What is it?

Problem is perhaps I have bad gear, but didn't have quite the luck...Have Pax Mystica on staff, Lumen Arcana with good resists and that Prodigy belt (the "HEL" runeword).

That probably is a part of your problem. Both Pax Mystica and Lumen Arcana are very early game equipment and you should work on upgarding these. Your best bet is probably gathering enough uniques to get 4 Arcane Crystals and upgrade something to an unique. Nearly all of the unique Staves and Sorc Armors of tier 3 or higher would make your life easier.

Unique War Staff and Banded Plate are both pretty great.

You also shouldn't be too dependant on +skills, while they're nice and everything, sometimes it might be better to focus on survival first.

@MBTA: just early-game almighty-power in the small hands of a crossbow-shooting necro :cool:

Thammuz
Light Crossbow
'Nef'
Two-Hand Damage: 16 to 23
Required Strenght: 14
Required Level: 13
Crossbow Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
25% Chance to cast level 6 Rune of Fire when you Kill an Enemy
25% Chance to cast level 6 Rune of Ice when you Kill an Enemy
+39% Enhanced damage
31% Bonus to Attack Rating
25% Increased Attack Speed
Adds 6-33 fire damage
+111 to Life
Socketed (2)

Tried to do Astroga on normal today, it's minions swept me away :/ Problem is perhaps I have bad gear, but didn't have quite the luck...Have Pax Mystica on staff, Lumen Arcana with good resists and that Prodigy belt (the "HEL" runeword). I'm on Abyss and that first firespell + the diablo casting fire spell, didn't like Pyroblast quite a bit.

Remember that Astrogha is the hardest encounter in MXL. I haven't tried her yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if a level 120 character would have a tough time with her.

And any tips for a nice summoner necro? Should I max it's minions without totems or what... o_O

Picking at least one damage totem (Death's Fury or Howling) is probably a good idea. Pick your minions to match that totem. Remember to get some minion resists (25 in terror, 50 in destruction) and life (possibly from Blood Tide Totem). Make liberal use of all the one-point wonders in the necromancers arsenal.

Last edited:

Back to D2 related topic (or any other RPG), I'm a perfectionist (always try to get as close to perfect as possible). If there is a challenge, I HAVE to do it. Which means if I play your mod, I will "force" myself to do the challenge I don't like.

General speaking, for RPG, level restriction and time limit are the two biggest things I do not like.
i think that the median mod by laz is good as it is. if you have some ideas as how a game is supposed to be why don't you mod yourself a diablo clone instead of pindling. remember if brolaz alone is able to make a mod himself why you can't if you are a perfectionist.
don't like, don't play!

Hey, thanks for the tips :) Didn't know that Astroga is the toughest of them all, perhaps I'll try my soso luck with Quov'Tsin or whatever he was called :p In urgent need of some nice uniques, or even not nice - got 2 arcane crystals and 3 shards already, I'm the half way through :p

im trying to ip with my friends and im using the ip from whats my ip address.com and i hosted a game but it still showed my diablo ip in the uper right hand corner and when my friends tryed to join it said error connecting to server. PPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE

HHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High