Median XL released!

Re: Median XL released!

Pretty swell mod so far. However I'm having a problem with runewords....

Expect for the "Ghost" runeword I accidently made, I haven't been able to create any from this http://modsbylaz.planetdiablo.gamespy.com/

I tried putting in jewels then a rune and none worked. Any ideas anyone??

Expect for the "Ghost" runeword I accidently made

Pretty wierd, considering that there is no runeword called Ghost. :p

You might want to ask this question on the Median XL forums themselves.

Would you say a program that increases your resolution (and therefore viewable area) is a cheat?

A lot of people are telling me that it isn't 'really' cheating, so I think I'm the only one who still believes that being able to 'port twice as far is imba...

I tried putting in jewels then a rune and none worked. Any ideas anyone??

There is no 'Ghost' runeword in MXL. Remove your hax and try again.

Would you say a program that increases your resolution (and therefore viewable area) is a cheat?

A lot of people are telling me that it isn't 'really' cheating, so I think I'm the only one who still believes that being able to 'port twice as far is imba...

what is or isnt "cheating" when playing a full conversion mod like Median is, imo, up to the person who wrote it.

on your site you mention that so many people are duping (and you accept it as a single player flaw, which many here would take exception too :D ) that you created a dupe function built right into the game.

Blizzard recently decided that my use of the multi instance dll was so evil that i deserved to have my bnet chrs deleted!

if your mod used a different screen resolution, and lets face it computing has moved on from the very limited available resolution in d2, then everyone would have it and it wouldnt be cheating.

if a few people are adding to your mod to gain advantage over others then thats cheating.

its a fine line i know.

of course, if everyone says "can you increase the resolution in median" and you decided that you can and do, then it isnt cheating any more, its an official patch :)

im not sure how much this post helps you, just my view. dune

I usually define cheating as something like "breaking the intended balance of the game". So unless you decide to balance median for larger resolutions (is that even possible?), I'll agree that it's cheating.

But you won't catch me mentioning that on your forums. If there's one thing I learned in the respec debate, it's that my opinion on cheating isn't appreciated there.

On a brighter note, my druid made it out of Hatred yesterday. But silly me forgot to anticipate the hefty drop in resistances. So I'll probably spend a little more time running Baal or K3KBA for levels and jewel-crafting ingredients.

I agree with Muzzz that if a program does that, it'd basically be cheating, but I guess things are viewed a little bit differently here than there regarding what's cheating and what's not. Not to mention that you'd have to spend a heck of a load of time finetuning skills so that they'd not get too imbalanced/underpowered with regards to the new variable.

Meanwhile, I'm getting thrashed by silly serafiends down at Anya's place. Might have to lower the settings to 1 or 3...7 just instant kills me :/ Either that, or holy armour, and then...CHARRGGGEEE!!!

High enough :badteeth:

Seriously though, they're supposed to be harder than the regular areas. If you want a reasonably safe bet, I'd wait until after beating Baal.

The heroic levels... wait until level 60-70. The uberlevel in almost the same location... level 100 because it's the hardest in the game. :p

Yay, finally got my first level 120 character in MXL, even though it was a cheesy spearazon! The road from 110-120 was annoying, I ended up just doing TA on p3 till 115, then switched to Bremmtown. Boy o boy was Bremm tough. After many screams of frustration, I finally got the pattern down, ie how not to get killed within 1 second flat.

Now I'm just trying to figure out a way to finish my Black road challenge, I can't seem to do the Fauztinville place. Stupid necrobots go pew pew and my zon goes toast. Any help woudl be appreciated.

Looking forward to 1.85 as well!

It's been a while since I've been to Fauztinville. If I recall correctly, necrobots no longer have ITD. So a good amount of defense should help. And a nice amount of life, of course. But most of all: keep moving. Avoiding those lazors is much better than tanking them.

I went and did most of the ubers that I could do first before going back to Fauzt. Most of them were incredibly fun yet frustrating (though none have measured up to Fautzinville, not even Cathedral of Vanity). Pure dumb luck descended upon me through my crafted maiden pike because it had 117 poison over 6 seconds (I thought it was a bad mod at first and almost wanted to reroll the craft), meaning I'd get prowl damage for 7.6 seconds total instead of 1.6! That was probably the only reason why I managed to do some of the ubers so easily, although I can't recall how many times I had to go through a tp while doing CoV (I had the orb down, but stupid Inarius and his pack camped the door and my corpse. Had to wait for my Barb merc to finally cast his thunderslam before I could do anything).

Anyway, back to Fauztinville, in the end, I studied the map, then just tried to go to each one separately in a new game. Basic strategy was just to pounce like mad through leachables, not to kill them, but to act as almost like a blink skill, and hope like hell that my merc would cast thunderslam. If not, activate Pact of Blood before being hit-locked by pew pew lasers, go to a safe place, tp to town to wait for spell timer to cool off, then try again. It finally worked for gamma, but the annoying bit about that level is the pathing. Seeing as prowl makes you have to be in the same plain as the monster, all those stairs and crooked paths became really annoying. I have to admit though, getting to some of the robots alive was greatly due to being lucky with when my leech worked (i.e I'd be moments from death, but my pounce would just touch a few leechables amongst the necrobots, so then I'd be able to survive and keep pouncing further along the path).

Is it just me, or was the AC500 really not at all worth the idol of vanity? It seemed so much better to have CBF and other mods rather than +1 maximum skill level. Good thing I managed to farm another one =]

Now I've started a Plague Retailiator, level 25 now, but he's soooo slow at killing, unless retaliate manages to double or triple hit the monsters, which then means they get damaged for about 1/3 of the health, rather than 1/10..>.>

EDIT: Hamachi MXL network no longer supervised.

Last edited:

Yeah, i have a lvl 120 speedy naginata assassin now, and i did terror Fautzinville at lvl 115 for the Black Road Challenge. I think (correct me pls) that the %chance to hit for monsters are dependent on the level difference between yourself and the mobs, so if its hard, try to get a few levels first. Also, you could do some 'easy' uberquests to get some nice charms (death projector in act 3 comes to mind, although it requires a boss killing skill of some sort), and is also a great place to level to 119. The greatest problem is that the necrobots are unleechable due to phys. immunity (also tried terror fautz w/ my unholy caster pala, he died.. a lot of times.. turns out theyre not that good in fautz at all).

@Laz: thank you for making me want to play D2 again!

@FastEddie: Id love to play sometime. Ive heard that Hamachi is version compatible. Im running 1.85 (will upgrade), v1.11b with PlugY.

peace
/io

i killed shenk 3 times now in terror but the quest wont complete. diablo patch 1.12a and median 1.86b. anyone else had trouble with this one?

edit... just killed him again and got the quest, so you can stop panicking and rest easy again! phew ;)

thanks for increasing the life of my act3 merc, it was getting hard to keep him alive.

edit again. i voted for median on mod DB. good luck :)

Last edited:

Just hit level 50 with my bloodwitch and did the level challenges. First time I tried those, and they were actually much easier than I had thought. Although bloodwitches can play rather safe with a good scouting skills, lots of summons and a temporary life shield.

Funny thing is that my mouse decided to pull yet another prank on me (that's what you get for buying a cheap one) which led to my death. Then the problem came that the map is disabled in Tran Athlua which meant I took a wrong turn, and instead of reaching my corpse I reached Philios, Priestess of the level 70 challenge... Luckily I managed to get her alone and somehow, playing extremely aggressively knowing a single hit would kill me, I managed to kill her... naked

And I that thought I would die instantly upon entering the level...

i killed shenk 3 times now in terror but the quest wont complete. diablo patch 1.12a and median 1.86b. anyone else had trouble with this one?

edit... just killed him again and got the quest, so you can stop panicking and rest easy again! phew ;)

This is a D2 bug... the quest breaks if you look at it angrily. :(

(death projector in act 3 comes to mind, although it requires a boss killing skill of some sort)

You don't need it, but it does come in handy. This isn't classic LoD, you don't need to make a single specific build or end up completely sucking.
:whistling:

1.90 coming this week, including a new uberquest, Duncraig! :)

Wowo, you're sure working on them!

Btw, I must praise your mythological knowledge, today I encountered an Ulfhedinn in the Durance, good to know, not many people know the other name of the berserkers ;)

Looking forward, me and 3 mates of mine teamed up in our ultimate quest to shatter the powers of the enhanced trio brothers of evilness!

/that fungus druid guide was funny, playing one :p/

And it's quite easy that patch-swap thing. In one moment I'm pwning in bnet, in the other - median awaits!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High