Mass Effect Mystery Box Mafia Game

Well, not telling your boxes names will make it harder for mafia (and town alike) to acquire new boxes. If you trade yours to the shelf instead of using it, there will be an "anonymous" box unless Sath updates the box list on the shelf by night / start of the day phase. As far as trading between players... meh. Rather just get the powers out of them and start putting them to use. Don't let the boxes distract the scumhunt too much.

I'm assuming it can cause something to happen immediately or grant some sort of ability and you can't know exactly what.

I don't understand aversion to admitting what box you have here.

Firstly, there are more town than mafia, I'm assuming, so being open about boxes and how we can use them effectively might be our best interest.

Second, we all should be brainstorming what these boxes could do. Let's say CDM has a really cool sounding box, something that sounds like it will benefit him greatly, well this may just be some Needful Things scenario, as there's always a price to pay and something you may not have expected.

Not claiming what your box is, isn't necessarily anti-town, I'd argue the initial aversion to claiming it to be fairly town. But these boxes don't carry scum/town weighting, so it's all equal footing. Knowing who has what box and effects that may happen overnight can give us a much better idea of what is actually happening. Yes, mafia will have some knowledge, but I believe full transparency on the box issue is a much larger benefit to town than mafia.

Did anyone directly say they didn't want to claim their box? (heh?) Also, I agree with Zokar, this just reeks of scum. Everyone brainstorming to determine what they do, how is that more beneficial to the town than it is to the mafia?

Did anyone directly say they didn't want to claim their box? (heh?) Also, I agree with Zokar, this just reeks of scum. Everyone brainstorming to determine what they do, how is that more beneficial to the town than it is to the mafia?

I'm not saying claim roles, I'm saying claim boxes. There's a big difference here. We already have an idea of what's out there, and if we don't have any idea of what anyone has, then ****'s gonna just start happening and we might not be able to figure it out.

I say that box claiming and brainstorming usages is much better than not knowing anything. We can also get a list of who has what going, to make trades much easier.

In what way does this reek of scum? That I think we should be more open, rather than super closed off like the last few games? Town has been crap the past while and I think it's the communication.

Well, not telling your boxes names will make it harder for mafia (and town alike) to acquire new boxes. If you trade yours to the shelf instead of using it, there will be an "anonymous" box unless Sath updates the box list on the shelf by night / start of the day phase. As far as trading between players... meh. Rather just get the powers out of them and start putting them to use. Don't let the boxes distract the scumhunt too much.
I think the list will be constantly updated, but ya clarification from Sath would be great.

I'm not saying claim roles, I'm saying claim boxes. There's a big difference here. We already have an idea of what's out there, and if we don't have any idea of what anyone has, then ****'s gonna just start happening and we might not be able to figure it out.

I say that box claiming and brainstorming usages is much better than not knowing anything. We can also get a list of who has what going, to make trades much easier.

In what way does this reek of scum? That I think we should be more open, rather than super closed off like the last few games? Town has been crap the past while and I think it's the communication.

Also, ya, CDM did.

Everybody is VT or will claim such, so ... yeah. Boxes!

What Zokar said.

I don't see it as anti-town or town to share what your box is. Transparency is ok but I don't think it really benefits either side, much.

Admitting when we have opened it I think is a bad thing, though, unless we have a result to claim or WIFOM or something for mafia kills.

Since we do not have any roles, the boxes are all the information we got. If I think what's in my box (hypothetically ofc) could be a cop or a doc role, why should I tell?

Even just saying "I have a level 3 box" is painting a target on your back. As far as we know, scum is as confused as us about the boxes and them knowing which kind of boxes we have simply makes it easier for them to hit somebody with a "good" box. On the other hand, town knowing what kinda boxes we have hardly helps town at all, since we have no way to tell "anti-town boxes" from "town boxes" (and to my understanding, these two kind of boxes doesn't actually exist).

You are asking town to show all their cards on the first day. In normal games, people would have been all over you for role fishing. I agree, what you are doing reeks of scum.

Since we do not have any roles, the boxes are all the information we got. If I think what's in my box (hypothetically ofc) could be a cop or a doc role, why should I tell?

Even just saying "I have a level 3 box" is painting a target on your back. As far as we know, scum is as confused as us about the boxes and them knowing which kind of boxes we have simply makes it easier for them to hit somebody with a "good" box. On the other hand, town knowing what kinda boxes we have hardly helps town at all, since we have no way to tell "anti-town boxes" from "town boxes" (and to my understanding, these two kind of boxes doesn't actually exist).

You are asking town to show all their cards on the first day. In normal games, people would have been all over you for role fishing. I agree, what you are doing reeks of scum.

Are there no town power roles? I'm under the assumption that there are.

I don't think its the same as rolefishing at all, since we all know everyone has a box. It's only a matter of time before we all have a good idea of what's out there and who has what.

The first (or second dunno) post states the role desciptions of only VTs and Mafia Goons, which led me to believe that there are no PRs, but that every box has either an effect or power that i given to the player opening it.And yes, we all know we all have a box but we do not know what is in them. We can however guess on what is in them. If you were scum would you rather kill a person holding a level 3 box with a "dangerous sounding" name or a person holding a level 1 box?Yes, it is all a matter of time before we know what's out there. But town needs that time to figure out what powers we get and use them to catch scum before scum kills the players with the most powerful boxes. The boxes are the only advantage we have in this game, and you wanting everybody to give up that advantage is exactly like role fishing.

I don't think it is taking away any advantage. We will be gaining knowledge and we will be able to see how everyone uses these powers. We will also hopefully be able to figure out how to use these boxes effectively so they don't just get wasted.

I don't think there is any reason to believe there are no PRs in town or mafia yet. If there are no PRs, then Gory's post earlier about not getting VT may have some bigger implications.

We should also remember that the boxes might not be good to use either. They could hurt or help. So even though a player's box is known, we still don't know what it will actually do.

I don't think it is taking away any advantage. We will be gaining knowledge and we will be able to see how everyone uses these powers. We will also hopefully be able to figure out how to use these boxes effectively so they don't just get wasted.

I don't think there is any reason to believe there are no PRs in town or mafia yet. If there are no PRs, then Gory's post earlier about not getting VT may have some bigger implications.
How does knowing what everyone's box is called and their level allow us to determine how to use them effectively in any way?

The only reason I can figure really is knowing which boxes can be assumed to have been used. They won't most likely be reappearing to the "shelf", and if the name is of any indication one can throw guesses at it's contents. Doesn't seem all the useful to me, but I still don't see any reason why I shouldn't have revealed my boxes name. I just treat them as delayed role powers.

I think the list will be constantly updated, but ya clarification from Sath would be great.

The box shelf will be updated at the start of the day. It does not state who traded which box with the shelf or who picked a box.

The first (or second dunno) post states the role desciptions of only VTs and Mafia Goons, which led me to believe that there are no PRs, but that every box has either an effect or power that i given to the player opening it.And yes, we all know we all have a box but we do not know what is in them.

Everyone is either a Vanilla Townie or a Vanilla Goon. Every box does something, ranging from abilities to effects and anything in between. The level (1 to 3) denotes it's potency, not it's pro-town worth. Opening a level 3 box can either be very beneficial to town or scum or very bad. Names can reference the content, but it can also be random, or it can be a warning. Basically, it's as random as you can get.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High