Mass Effect Mystery Box Mafia Game

Thanks for hosting Sathoris! I hope we get to see the full list of boxes and actions and everything else.

@Pyro - That 1x SK shot limitation changes EVERYTHING. I can argue pro every side and then convince myself this other side should win not 5 minutes later then go back 5 minutes after that. There isn't a clear resolution. I can say I definitely wouldn't have opened the box that early and I don't think you were meant to.

My QT

Nobody is that stubborn in mafia unless they are scum or just don't care about that person's opinion. I wasn't lying when I said that.

I'm that stubborn when town (and not nearly as stubborn as mafia).

Which since we are now in post game should be addressed. Self Voting should not be used as a strategy. Its NOT a strategy, its poor play.

Self-voting is strategic in lots of cases but that doesn't mean it's good (read: fun) gameplay. I don't mind a mod rule agaisnt self voting.

Ugh refresh I hate you. So, after reading the dead thread...Goryani thinks that not paying attention to the arguments made today would have been the best thing to do. So yay! One person thinks me following my reads and not being swayed is terrible, and the other thinks it's the right thing to do, so cool. :D

Welcome to forum mafia!

In order of importance:
things said the day the first mafioso is lynched
things said the day a trained mafioso escapes lynch (later confirmed)
D1
twilight
D2
D3
D4
and so on

It takes confirmable info like a D6 lynch flip or N6 NK target for words said D6 to matter because so much more important things have happened.

It's just so so so so easy to wait, bide time, and craft an eloquent position sans slips. Put another way: it's easier to lie on D7 than on D1. Game after game after game after game: scum wait longer than town to reveal details of their claim.

There should have been more scumhunting effort put into things yesterday, but I was honestly over it and just wanted to see who the sk killed and move on from there.

There was scumhunting - by you and by me and by others - but it wasn't mentioned in the thread. "I've made my decision and here it is..." shows the result of that scumhunting.

Well, absolutely all my reads were completely off. Me offing myself was possibly not even that bad.

Thanks for modding sath! Great and different game, really enjoyed it.

Yup, I was clueless this game but also largely absent since I visited family and have had limited internet access.

@Pyro's 1-shot:
holy crap, ouch. That's one of the tougher roles to win, certainly

Why is Drixx+myself something you'd prefer not to face, and why, if that's the case, did you choose to create that situation for yourself?

Also..after reading your QT: The certainty I had came from the fact that when I made that vote on you yesterday, I was as certain as possible that the game would be over with that post, and I refused to second guess myself because, like I said, I'm pretty confident in myself. You can view that as me not caring what others had to say, and it certainly made me less likely to be swayed by anyones arguments that I would have been otherwise, but the fact of the matter is your arguments were good but fallacious enough that they weren't comforting. Regardless of how bad Drixx's posts were, yours sounded like a SK grasping for straws to swing the game back their way. His didn't.

I've self voted twice before. Both times as town, with the intention of being available enough to unvote if necessary, and use the information gained from those who chose to vote for me afterwards. In both cases it resulted in the town stopping votes on me, and I gained no information at all.

I think it's a viable strategy used either way, and it adds another layer of complexity and wifom to peoples actions. If someone self votes, are they doing it because they're absolutely town? Are they doing it because town would never believe scum would self vote? Are they doing it because they just want more information?

Questions like that make the game interesting. I think if there wasn't a stigma against self voting, which seems to have arisen from people using self voting to essentially rage quit from the game, that players would have adjusted to it and there would likely be a standard response, much like lynch all liars, or lynch all neutrals...in this case, lynch self voters. That's the most reasonable response that cuts through all the BS, and prevents the town from mislynching because a scum player is crazy enough to vote for themselves. If I hadn't done it twice already for information, whenever I do get a scum role, I would have totally used it to stall a lynch on myself.

There is a very simple reason for this, and although it may sound completely obsurd, players that have a relationship outside of the forum have something that no amount of forum posts can break through. They know how the person acts outside the forum, they know their mannorisims and have a much stronger ability to see through things. I could type a whole book with nothing but facts but at some level you will always have a more trust in the person you know than some random person on the internet can break.

I left you alive because I had to. Zokar would have made it to easy for me, and he would have known that. Like I said no amount of WIFOM could have broken through the significant advantage that Drixx would have had of keeping you alive as SK, no amount.

Re: Self-voting, I don't agree with it. Period. But maybe that's just my stance.

Thanks for hosting Sathoris! I hope we get to see the full list of boxes and actions and everything else.

@Pyro - That 1x SK shot limitation changes EVERYTHING. I can argue pro every side and then convince myself this other side should win not 5 minutes later then go back 5 minutes after that. There isn't a clear resolution. I can say I definitely wouldn't have opened the box that early and I don't think you were meant to.

Gee thanks, especially since I've seen you were sooo supportive of me in the dead thread. :rollseyes: I called it was an alignment change even before I opened it, you can see it in my QT. The problem with this is I need to know how I need to play for the length of the game, not JUST at the very end. I can't plan anything if I don't know if I'm a SK/Survivor/Jester or something else more complicated.

/hugs pyro

sorry bud :D

Thanks Zokar, should have just left you alive, but I was sure you would come to the "I'm still alive so it has to be Pyro" conclusion, instead of taking it one step further like Numbers did, so as you could see in my QT, no matter which one I left, I felt I would have been in a bad spot.

My QT

I'm that stubborn when town (and not nearly as stubborn as mafia).

Self-voting is strategic in lots of cases but that doesn't mean it's good (read: fun) gameplay. I don't mind a mod rule agaisnt self voting.

Welcome to forum mafia!

In order of importance:
things said the day the first mafioso is lynched
things said the day a trained mafioso escapes lynch (later confirmed)
D1
twilight
D2
D3
D4
and so on

It takes confirmable info like a D6 lynch flip or N6 NK target for words said D6 to matter because so much more important things have happened.

It's just so so so so easy to wait, bide time, and craft an eloquent position sans slips. Put another way: it's easier to lie on D7 than on D1. Game after game after game after game: scum wait longer than town to reveal details of their claim.

There was scumhunting - by you and by me and by others - but it wasn't mentioned in the thread. "I've made my decision and here it is..." shows the result of that scumhunting.

Well good, I'm glad you consider a rule against self voting viable because any game I mod from now on, self-voting will result in an instant mod kill with the added bonus of punishing the offending player's team in some way. So enjoy that in my games from this point forward.

I disagree with your assessment of importance of days especially in a game where alignment changes could have happened at any point in the game. Also as you can see the last days can produce a lot of posts, and with the sheer volume of information flying around then its more likely that something is going to slip up, at some point, so something said in later days can be as equally as important.

Yup, I was clueless this game but also largely absent since I visited family and have had limited internet access.

@Pyro's 1-shot:

I don't really care that I lost, I care because I essentially had the win in my hands with one of the more difficult roles I've ever come across. Its because of a forced move that I was unable to take advantage of a strategy that I was employing for a fair number of days, and I was fairly confident in my ability to get numbers lynched if the kill wasn't forced.

I'm curious as to how the last day would have worked out. Had town lynched, say Drixx, then that leaves just Pyro and Numbers alive. Neither has a night kill available, and neither can lynch the other...

So either way, it was going to be a stalemate.

X-shot Serial Killers just don't work. Make them a Survivor if you want a non-town vig.

---------

Beyond that particular incident, I had a lot of fun with this game. Both Drixx and Bad Ash were particularly fun to play against, since they didn't buy into my ruse at all. Zokar swinging the train around suddenly on me was surprising, though I realize my mistake was getting complacent at the end and not devoting the energy to keeping up my facade as I should have.

I think that your silence on refusing to not Lynch was telling as well Pyro. You 100% could have even been busy irl, but it still seemed like a reluctance to go along with it even if you had an excuse. That's not fair, but it's how I read it.

That was one of the more interesting aspects of this game to me is how to handle that.

I'm curious as to how the last day would have worked out. Had town lynched, say Drixx, then that leaves just Pyro and Numbers alive. Neither has a night kill available, and neither can lynch the other...

X-shot Serial Killers just don't work. Make them a Survivor if you want a non-town vig.

---------

Beyond that particular incident, I had a lot of fun with this game. Both Drixx and Bad Ash were particularly fun to play against, since they didn't buy into my ruse at all. Zokar swinging the train around suddenly on me was surprising, though I realize my mistake was getting complacent at the end and not devoting the energy to keeping up my facade as I should have.

I had a lot of fun in the early going. Your comment about playing to have fun a couple games ago stuck out to me. I enjoyed it even more when I opened my first box and had a semi good chance at avoiding any kill directed at me. I really did want you to shoot me :).

I think that your silence on refusing to not Lynch was telling as well Pyro. You 100% could have even been busy irl, but it still seemed like a reluctance to go along with it even if you had an excuse. That's not fair, but it's how I read it.

That was one of the more interesting aspects of this game to me is how to handle that.

I asked Sath the day or night BEFORE that day phase what would happen if they decided to no lynch and I got no response. Agreeing to fast forward like they wanted to would have given me no time to plan or decide or do anything for that matter.

In my mind, Pyrotechnician shares the win in this game. He played his win condition to perfection and the other 3 of us basically refused to hand what we thought was a regular SK an easy win by continuing to lynch without any info to go on. If he hadn't been forced to use his shot and the town had been told "Lynch or Lose" then it's fairly likely I'd have been lynched to confirm SK presence, then he shoots someone and game over he and the town win.

I think if the town knew that was the case, we wouldn't have minded that outcome. I know that I thought an SK winning would mean a town loss, but in this case it wouldn't have meant that, if I understand the role correctly.

I made up the "shared win" thing as part of my last ditch effort to pull out the win. It would have been either a town win or a town loss. If the town was forced to lynch or lose in mylo and anyone other than me was lynched I was told I would have won. 4 last day phase, we lynch 1 to take it down to 3. I kill someone with my one shot brings it to 2. If the last other person was mafia I would have lost. If the last other person was town I would win. Either way town loses. Which is why the decision to force me to kill was a contradiction to what I knew. Even if there were two people left in end and I was out of shots, as long as the last other person was town I would have been declared the victor. This goes along with the town wincon:

Win Condition (Town): You win when only players with the Town Win Condition are alive.

By refusing to lynch, I was still alive, therefore their win-con would not be met. However my wincon was not met either because not all other players were dead but technically nothing could stop it from happening:

Serial Killer (Wincodition) – You win when all players are dead besides yourself and nothing can prevent this from happening.”

Otherwise the game would of have to have been called a push or draw.

Last edited:
Pyro did great! I do terribly and here's proof. I hadn't even really gotten into the game by the time I was dead. Can I ask what decided me for my death, is it in the Mafia QT? I haven't read that yet.

Ah I see. Welp, I had nothing up my sleeve. I really don't see how my first box was to be used at all, it confuses me. My decision after seeing it was to see what was in one of the other lower powered boxes and since I was so late choosing, I wanted to go after one that didn't look appealing. I got hit with a post restriction that I didn't even get a chance to use. My next day plan was to reveal everything about everything.

Thanks Sath, I really like this mechanic and hope to see it again. Did everyone else like it? Someone should make a Mario/Mario Kart themed one where we get to bash question mark boxes for our abilities/restrictions... banana peels are restrictions, turtle shells are vig shots, mushrooms, oh man... someone do it!

@Pyro's 1-shot:

Yeah I almost feel sorry for Pyro .... almost :)

---------

I agree. If I'd known it was a 1-shot serial killer I'd have said in that situation if town refuses to lynch and sk refuses to shoot it should be a draw. Particularly given that with 1-shot you really need to plan when you use it.

Double Day– At any time during the game, you may PM the mod or post the following bolded phrase: “Time is never lost”. The following night phase will be skipped as if it had never happened. You may use this ability once over the course of the game.

Double Night – At any time during the game, you may PM the mod or post the following bolded phrase: “Only forgotten”. The following day phase will be skipped as if it had never happened. You may use this ability once over the course of the game.
This was really cool. I loved that it takes an extra open to open.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High