Mass Effect Mystery Box Mafia Game

Sathoris

Mar 23, 2010
Rules:
Generic rules

1. Talk about your role and this game is strictly prohibited outside of the game thread until it is over (with the exception of designated QT pages).

2. Do not post during the night phase. Any post within a few minutes after the end of the day will be ignored. Any post made an hour or more after the end of the day phase, will result in a mod kill of the poster. Repeated posts during the night phase will also result in a mod kill.

3. Editing, for any sorts of reason will result in a mod kill.

4. You are allowed to communicate during the night only in designated QT pages with designated people.

5. Once you're dead, stay that way. Dead people tell no tales, or in this case, dead people make no posts. Suck up your death and keep watching and rooting for your team. There's always the next round.

6. Every player gets one lynch vote during the day unless told otherwise in their role PM. Votes and unvotes need to be bolded . If your unvote isn't bold, it doesn't count. Capitalization or proper spelling of one's name is NOT REQUIRED, however, it must be clear who you are voting for.

Example:
Vote: Caluin Graye
Unvote: CG

7. One player may be lynched per day. Lynches will be determined based on the following formula: 1/2 remaining players alive rounded up for a lynch. +1 to that number for a lock.

8. If you have any issues with your role, or any other player, don't start a flame war or a serious confrontation. Please PM me instead in order to find a resolution. Please don’t suicide or do anything rash before contacting me.

9. Any player may claim any role. I.E. Any player may claim to be something that they are not.

10. Do not post any information sent to you in a pm by the host. This includes, but is not limited to, numbers of words/letters/punctuation marks. If you want to claim a role, don't copy paste the PM I sent you.

11. Day lasts 72 hours and night lasts 24 hours.

12. You will get mod killed if you are inactive (at least 2 contributive post per day phase).

13. If you are (temp) banned, you will also be mod killed.

14. If you cannot continue playing the game for any reason, PM me beforehand to find a solution.

15. Read the rules and your role PM once more. Have Fun! Good luck! May the best team win.

16. Rules are stolen and slightly adapted for this game, you may show the same quality when claiming roles.
Welcome to the Mass Effect Mystery Box Mafia. This game will be a bit different from the 'standard' games. Everyone has the same basic vanilla role with no abilities. To acquire abilities you need to open boxes. You may only open two boxes throughout the game Everyone starts with one box and may pick up other boxes or trade boxes with other people throughout the game. Not all boxes provide abilities and not all boxes will be beneficial to you. All boxes provide the same 'rewards' to players regardless of alignement. Please do read the special rules as they will explain more about the box mechanics.

Special box rules:
Special Rules

1. All players have a box. Each box contains some sort of ability or power that has the capacity to hurt or help the player. Players may open their box by posting in their designated QT chat with: Open xxxxx Box. Using a box also destroys it.

2. Players may only carry a maximum of ONE box at a time.

3. All boxes have a level rating, 1, 2, or 3. This level denotes its potency, not its actual pro-town worth or positive impact on the player.

4. All boxes have the following format: Box Name/Box Level.

5. Boxes may be traded between players by public trading in the game thread.

6. Trading boxes is done very simply. Player A posts: Trade: Player B, with Player B confirming by posting: Trade: Player A. The two players will then receive their new boxes.

6. Players may only trade during the day and may only trade once during any given day phase. You may trade every day phase if you manage to stay alive that long.

7. Once you have used your box, you may pick up another box from the Box Shelf by posting in their QT Chat with: Pick Up: xxxxx Box. There are 16 spare boxes on this shelf that may be picked up at Night. Players may also trade boxes with the shelf, replacing their current box. This may happen during day or night. To trade Boxes from the shelf post in your QT with: Trade: Box xxxxx with Shelf Box xxxxx. The list of boxes on the Box Shelf will be publicly posted at the beginning of the day.

8. Players may open a maximum of 2 boxes over the course of the game. Players then may no longer participate in box trading or any other situations that would allow them to use or receive another box.

9. Only one active ability may be used per night, except for opening boxes or the use of any other abilities that state otherwise.

10. The name of the Box may or may not reveal something about its contents.

11. All preconceptions should be thrown out the window.

12. The Mass Effect flavour is just for fun.

13. There will be some BM in here. Don’t take anything personally.

Have fun and enjoy the game!

Last edited:
Mass Effect Mystery Mafia

Players alive:

1. Zokar
2. Drixx
3. Numbers
4. Pyrotechnician

Players dead:

1. Zauper (Incinerated)
2. Pharphis (Critical Mission Failure)
3. Crawlingdeadman (Incinerated)
4. Laarz (Ejected out of an airlock)
5. Jcakes (incinerated)
6. FredOfErik (Died trying to prove himself)
7. Ankeli (Lynched)
8. Goryani (Incinerated)
9. Caluin Graye (lyched)
10. Noodle (lynched)
11. Bad Ash (lynched)

Game information:

You are a Vanilla Townie.

Abilities:
Box – You may use any box you possess at any time, granting you whatever powers it contains. This will consume the box. So long as you have a box, you may participate in all trading activities. You are able to consume up to two boxes over the course of the game. You start the game with one box.

Trading – You may trade boxes as often as you like as long as it is done in the game thread (with another player) or via QT with me for a Shelf Box. You can only carry one box at a time. You may pick up another Box from the shelf if there are any left during any night.

Win Condition (Town): You win when only players with the Town Win Condition are alive.

You are a Mafia Goon.

Abilities:
Box – You may use any box you possess at any time, granting you whatever powers it contains. This will consume the box. So long as you have a box, you may participate in all trading activities. You are able to consume up to two boxes over the course of the game. You start the game with one box.

Trading – You may trade boxes as often as you like as long as it is done in the game thread (with another player) or via QT with me for a Shelf Box. You can only carry one box at a time. You may pick up another Box from the shelf if there are any left at any night.

Mafia Communication – You may speak with your fellow Mafia members in the following quicktopic at any time: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mafia Kill – You and your fellow Mafia members may send one of your members to kill another player each night. Barring external influences, that player will die.

Win Condition (Mafia): You win when players with the Mafia Win Condition make up a majority of the voting power and nothing can prevent this from happening.

Full list of all boxes:

YOUR 2 SMALL / Level 1
Blue Rose of Illium / Level 2
Servant of the People / Level 3
Urdnot Wrex can't keep his hands of a fertile female / Level 2
I am a Biotic God… Fear me! / Level 3
Emergency Induction Port /Level 3
Qwib Qwib or Ectomy / Level 2
Geth do not infiltrate / Level 2
Primary Codex / Level 1
Refund guy / Level 1
Blasto the Jellyfish Stings / Level 1

Don’t f*** with Aria / Level 3
Scan all the planets! / Level 2
No salarian hearts, no turian livers, not one krogan testicle / Level 2
Remember the old days when you could just slap Omni-gel on everything / Level 2
Some neighbours came by last night to complain about the noise. I put their bodies in the building incinerator / Level 3
The role of commander Shephard is already filled / Level 2
The man cleaning the toilets is also preparing the meals / Level 3
Conrad Verner / Level 2
You’ll have to make them scream a little / Level 1
Scan the Keepers / Level 2
Sir, they have flashlightheads / Level 1
I’ll never work for Cerberus / Level 1

This is why I follow you Shephard... BIG THINGS! / Level 1
The organics would never try the no-windows thing twice. / Level 3
Who ordered pizza? / Level 3
Do not open this box! / Level 2
Ah yes “Reapers”. We have dismissed that claim / Level 2
But the prize! /Level 3
I have a shotgun. Mmmmmaybe we’ll talk later. / Level 3 –
Trying to determine how scale-itch got onto Normandy. Sexually transmitted disease, only carried by varren. Implications...unpleasant. / Level 2

Boxes on the Box Shelf you can pick up or trade with:

Geth do not infiltrate / Level 2
No salarian hearts, no turian livers, not one krogan testicle / Level 2
You’ll have to make them scream a little / Level 1
Primary Codex / level 1

Last edited:
Roles are sent out! You will receive your first box in your QT shortly.

The game starts with a twilight phase untill 16:00 EDT / 22:00 CET tomorrow, after which we start with Night 1. During twilight you cannnot open boxes or lynch people, yet you can trade boxes. You may first open your box during Night 1. Any abilities gained from opening your box on N1 will not go into effect until the day start. Same applies if you open your box during Day 1, you will then first be able to use your boxes content during Night 2. Some boxes have special mechanics which will go into effect immediatly, those will be explained upon opening your box.

First come first served on picking up boxes from the shelf. Choosing a box which has already been picked up means you don't have another chance to pick up a box that night phase. If two players pick up the same box and the timestamp on QT is the same, you both miss out on a box for that night phase.

I'm sure not everything is 100% clear as I keep double checking stuff and changing small things. Do ask questions if need be.

Edit: First stupid mistake, so many different text files. Accidentally posted the content of some boxes in some people's QT. If you saw the message before I deleted them please let me know and I'll change the content.

Edit: You have to be truthful when you're trading boxes. You may however claim to have opened any box you say if you're not caught by someone who actually opened that box that is.

Enjoy the game! It is now twilight for 29 hours.

Last edited:
Pick-Up: Don’t f*** with Aria / Level 3 Box

?I like the sound of it. Sounds dangerous.

Please ignore everything I've posted.

I have a box called "Who ordered pizza?"

I haven't received my box yet because I was popular once upon a time and my PM box was full. However, Pyro, what makes you think a lvl 3 box is cooler than a lvl 1?

Anyway, the boxes as far as I'm concerned are just there to add abilities. I don't see any point in trading them or holding on to them. I'm going to ram mine open asap.

I'd consider something like a lvl 1 "cop" type ability, say, identifying the pro-anti town status cooler than a lvl 3 suicide =(

Still, no reason not to just pop 'em straight away. I'd actually like to hear if anyone can figure any reason to a) hold on to the boxes and not using them or b) trading the boxes?

Id consider trading my box because why not?

It sounds like boxes are limited which would be a pro for holding onto them. That and, ya know, possible strategy.

But I agree. Incentive is higher to pop da box.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Bummer. I was hoping to be VT this game.

Per the special box rules, the level determines its potency. Therefore, a level 3 box has to be way cooler than a level 1 box, just because. Even if it is a negative effect, its still more powerful.

I'll trade you my 3 seed for your 1 seed.

Trade: Pyrotechnician

Some additions to an earlier post.

You have to be truthful when you're trading boxes. You may however claim to have opened any box you say if you're not caught by someone who actually opened that box that is. You may claim to have one box, while you actually hold another. In short, you may claim anything as long as you don't get caught.

First come first served on picking up boxes from the shelf. Choosing a box which has already been picked up means you don't have another chance to pick up a box that night phase. If two players pick up the same box and the timestamp on QT is the same, you both miss out on a box for that night phase.

Still, no reason not to just pop 'em straight away. I'd actually like to hear if anyone can figure any reason to a) hold on to the boxes and not using them or b) trading the boxes?

Regarding b:

The only thing we can do this twilight phase is trade. Opening (or not) is a nighttime thing. Additionally, unless one wants to play the "I think this box has that ability" or similar game, the odds of opening a good box doesn't depend on trading or not trading.

Yeah pretty much that. Especially if the names are hinting at the contents, or not.

I'll go out on a limb and tell you that my box is the Refund guy one, level 1. I bet it's going to be a poop box that gives me another box, wasting one of my box poppings. :(

I'd consider something like a lvl 1 "cop" type ability, say, identifying the pro-anti town status cooler than a lvl 3 suicide =(

Does a level 3 suicide encompase a double murder than suicide after? Because I'm ok with that.

Bummer. I was hoping to be VT this game.

I'll trade you my 3 seed for your 1 seed.

Trade: Pyrotechnician

Whats a seed and why are we planting gardens?

Yeah pretty much that. Especially if the names are hinting at the contents, or not.

I'll go out on a limb and tell you that my box is the Refund guy one, level 1. I bet it's going to be a poop box that gives me another box, wasting one of my box poppings. :(

Or, or! It could be that whoever targets you when you use your box, gets their box back again! See, lets get creative with our thinking here.

Trading boxes only has as much worth as what we think the value of the box is. If it has a cool name and level, and we think it might be useful, than it will be valued higher, but no one really knows for sure.

The only thing trading will do is verify who has what, and it may or may not change our luck depending on whats in the box.

We can verify by just asking, since you're not allowed to lie about what box you have. At least that's how I understood Sath's message in this thread.

Then again, you can just choose not to answer, but then again you wouldn't be trading it in that case. Meh.

I can verify at this moment that I have a box. I'm not sure if I really care to say what box I have exactly at this point in time as I'm not sure if the upside/downside of doing so is significant. If someone can convince me otherwise then I'll share.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High