Forum Mafia: Keep your friends close...

Re: Forum Mafia: Keep your friends close...

Gorny has changed it again since that was mentioned. I think?? I actually cant remember now. Now i think about it i dont think he did. It was Oneill with the glowing eyes then this was it?

I'm pretty sure he did it this afternoon.

Gorny's 'tar just changed again. I knew he had changed it to the Dark thingy before J.D. I'm not imagining things :)

That makes two of us. Now I am still waiting for Gornman to explain that. It has got to be game related.

That makes two of us. Now I am still waiting for Gornman to explain that. It has got to be game related.

because gorny wouldn't change his avatar to something like that for no reason? :D

Can't avoid that which is inevitable. If theres nothing to post about then there is nothing to post about. You want to hear me add something then just ask me a question. I merely sayed that because i didn't want to be the guy that was innactive and ruining the game and the towns chances of a win.

You could find nothing to talk about in 69 previous posts? Now I'm wondering if I'm just seeing false positives.

What's your take on how starting with a day phase affects the town/mafia?
If I'm right and the mafia can't communicate with each other until tonight, how would you expect to see them behave during today?
Based on the discussion so far, who would you suggest the doctor or cop save/investigate tonight?

Gorny's avatar... I reckon the only game-related reason for changing it would be to psych out people who were paying attention to it. :grin:

Gorny's avatar... I reckon the only game-related reason for changing it would be to psych out people who were paying attention to it. :grin:

Possibly, but he would gain nothing from it himself. I say it's a hint. But what would he be hinting at? The dude looked like a real nutcase, so maybe VI?

Gorny's 'tar just changed again. I knew he had changed it to the Dark thingy before J.D. I'm not imagining things :)

You aren't imagining things. I messed with mikes avatar earlier and he or someone else messed with mine and no Sitro im clutching at straws. I know people like to latch on to things so I made sure there was one less thing to latch on to.

Possibly, but he would gain nothing from it himself. I say it's a hint. But what would he be hinting at? The dude looked like a real nutcase, so maybe VI?

Would be a good way to keep us from lynching him and letting him do his (evil) deeds.

Would be a good way to keep us from lynching him and letting him do his (evil) deeds.

Silly tactic to roleclaim so early even by Gorny's crazy standards. I believe his story :)

What's your take on how starting with a day phase affects the town/mafia?
If I'm right and the mafia can't communicate with each other until tonight, how would you expect to see them behave during today?
Based on the discussion so far, who would you suggest the doctor or cop save/investigate tonight?

1) i think i allready gave my take on how it affects the town. As for the mafia i guess it means they can think about who is truly hindering their progress and make an actual kill for their postive gain rather than just random chance.

2) I don't think the fact that they couldnt comunicate last night would effect their game plan for the day at all. A good mafioso is one who can hide in plain sight. Post enough to not raise suspicion with enough content to place doubts on other people. Wether or wether not they have spoken to each other at all wouldnt affect this at all.

3) Tough call really. Doc i guess i'd save one of the more active people as they make likely target for the mafia. Especially if they are pulling all the right strings. As for cop i'd probably like to use my investigation on similar terms. Probably would investigate Gorny just to see that his story checks out completely.

I will also like to add that i think in a game this big that we ma well have an SK in our midst aswell so i wouldnt be completely suprised if we see 2 town members dead in the morning.

I don't think I will be using it in this round personally, I believe it needs some relaxation time first.

How disappointing...not getting too old for this, are you Sitro?

Noammr - How useful do you think the 'First to discuss a role probably has that role' policy is?
Eh, like many well-known 'mafia rules' I take it with a grain of salt, since most players are aware of it enough to either disregard it completely or use it as a manipulation tool.

A question of my own for you O mighty Sitro: If by the end of this day no one stuck out as scummy and you had to make a semi-random lynch would you still lynch?
Also, would you rather at this point lynch one of the high-profile posters or one of the less active ones?

Can't avoid that which is inevitable. If theres nothing to post about then there is nothing to post about. You want to hear me add something then just ask me a question. I merely sayed that because i didn't want to be the guy that was innactive and ruining the game and the towns chances of a win.
If all of us followed this reasoning then we wouldn't have any discussion going on, which equals less info for the town.

You aren't imagining things. I messed with mikes avatar earlier and he or someone else messed with mine and no Sitro im clutching at straws. I know people like to latch on to things so I made sure there was one less thing to latch on to.

I wasn't suggesting you were, the fault lies in my post structure. I was trying to point out to CC that you'd already made reference to your new avatar before the round started.

How disappointing...not getting too old for this, are you Sitro?

No, no. I can keep up with you kids just fine. :wink:

A question of my own for you O mighty Sitro: If by the end of this day no one stuck out as scummy and you had to make a semi-random lynch would you still lynch?
Also, would you rather at this point lynch one of the high-profile posters or one of the less active ones?

Lynch. And I'd base my suggestion for the lynch on who would give the most information to the town. Restricting my answer to the choices you gave me, that probably means a more high-profile poster as they form more connections to other players. But I wouldn't be averse to lynching a low-profile poster if the results of the lynch could prove interesting.

That's ok by me Sitro.

Now that I think on it, I think I know who the culprit is regarding my avatar: Thyiad.

that probably means a more high-profile poster

So you're willing to take the chance and (most probably) lynch an active townie, which would be of help to the town (compared to a non-active one)? I really don't know if that's the smartest thing to do...

Someone please tell me what the pros are of lynching today. the way I see it, other then a small chance of randomly hitting a mafia, the only big advantage is gaining knowledge of the lynched's role. however, since there have been any time for players to gain significant connections to others, knowing someone's role would give a very slim chance of inferring other roles.

By having a no-lynch we basically have a night start like normal, only the power roles have a whole slew of pages to gain some insight as who to target for the night. This also means that the mafia do as well, but I still think it's in favor of the town.

What does everyone else think?

Valid point that there's more knowledge for every powerrole in the game. But as such, the vanilla Townies have the 'power' to lynch and I would like to see that power used. Regardless of the outcome of lynching a pro- or anti-town, the lynch itself will actually give some meaning to that slew of pages you mentioned.

assuming there's a cop, doc, roleblocker, busdriver and maybe some other power roles (standard game) there's about an equal chance of lynching a power-role over a mafia/sk (again, assuming there's about 3-4 mafia and 1 sk)
I'm using the numbers for standard games, which is the only possible guess we have.
I know the odds won't get much better in the game, but at least then the powerroles might've gathered some info, and could sway a vote in some way.
Unless you can come up with a good person to lynch, I don't think lynching is our best bet atm.

Do bear in mind that this is an 18 player game and we need 10 votes to lock (9 to lynch) so if you do decide that lynching is a good idea, make sure to start it fast enough. (though i'm not sure yet if I would jump the wagon or not)

Oh man, that was just way too much to read. I ain't never been a fan of no book learnin', readin' be difikult. Just went out for a couple hours and took a nap, and I see this crap all posted it. Which is why I never bothered to follow the previous games or even cared about how the game is run; I don't like reading all that much.

I guess I'm going to got died whether or not the people do a morning kill or whatever this round, just a lot of suspicion and paranoia. Apparently you people think that I'm pretending to be new at this, which was actually kinda funny to me. Like I've been playing mind games on all you folks.
I will tell you guys right now though. I have never even taken an interest in following this game, let alone playing it when the chance arises, so I don't actually know anything about the game at all. I really don't care if you believe me or not, or maybe this is all just a huge ploy to get you fellas to think something.
Oh boy oh boy.

I have nothing to add to the discussion at all, since I don't know anything about the previous games.

Orphan - Reading 70 posts all at once hopefully gives you a better view of the 'big picture' than someone like myself who's been commenting throughout. As you read through did you notice anything that struck you as particularly odd?

Only what I commented on earlier. Most of the chatter hadn't been much. Having a 'big picture' view and reading 70 posts at once can lead to possibilities of missing something minor, and knowing that I usually go through everything twice or thrice.

On the other hand, someone who has commented throughout would be able to analyze each post as they come. With that said, is there anything that stands out to you SiTro? What do you think about the current general consensus to avoid a lynch on day 1 by a few people?

Someone please tell me what the pros are of lynching today. the way I see it, other then a small chance of randomly hitting a mafia, the only big advantage is gaining knowledge of the lynched's role. however, since there have been any time for players to gain significant connections to others, knowing someone's role would give a very slim chance of inferring other roles.

By having a no-lynch we basically have a night start like normal, only the power roles have a whole slew of pages to gain some insight as who to target for the night. This also means that the mafia do as well, but I still think it's in favor of the town.

I'm not sure what to think at the moment, but then again I've also been of the belief that there isn't much information to be acquired from the first night kill either (in games which start at night), simply because no discussions have taken place and therefore the kill would ultimately have been random.

Others have disagreed with me in a previous mafia game, and if someone thinks otherwise they perhaps they can bring forth some ideas.

Valid point that there's more knowledge for every powerrole in the game. But as such, the vanilla Townies have the 'power' to lynch and I would like to see that power used. Regardless of the outcome of lynching a pro- or anti-town, the lynch itself will actually give some meaning to that slew of pages you mentioned.

A hypothetical question for you CC, if you were anti-town would you want a lynch today?

Finally, on the topic of inactives, I think lynching them is a bad idea because

a) they'll probably be modkilled at some point
b) I believe it's a greater chance that normal townies, simply because a power role might have sparked their interest more to contribute.

sorry for the late start..forgot we started.

anyway assrin, we need to lynch today and in every mafia game the same arguement comes up every single time and the answer is the same. WE HAVE TO LYNCH. heres why: lynching provides info, even if its bad info, its still info. not lynching leads to nothing. all we do at the point is second guess eachothers posts, not know who did what, see who did who etc. if we lynch, we can find a connection HOPEFULLY between what that person said about whom etc., even if that person is a townie its usually a positive because it leads to SOMETHING. If we dont lynch, the mafia who know every townie, can pick people off one by one and create chaos amongst us.

From what I've read, several people are doing the "ill post so no one thinks im inactive" thing which is usually a big scum tell. Im going to bed but will be a lot more active tomorrow. BoD and Luda are my current suspicionists...Luda always seems to be when we play haha I think its his name :p.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High