Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

This is why I shouldn't train monday nights. I am in pain. And tomorrow will be worse. And wednesday will be worse.

What happened to the Australians?

Morning Bar.

*serves Dew

reporting for duty

He became ununited?

I lol'd alot(just for you stegasaur) silly soccer.

Shhhhhhhh.
Go make yourself a thread if you can't not talk about it here.

:D

agreed.

Thanks! I'm a few seasons behind, but I do plan to watch it eventually. Maybe when the final season comes to Netflix.

I've not started watching it yet, still have some other tv to get through. I want to finish watching Spooks first (awesome british spy drama - they basically kill off a main character every other episode)

All these old-timers posting here. Shouldn't they be playing shuffleboard or something?

lol - funnily enough I didn't realise that Moar was an old time poster :p

OK I have a science-y type question for you scientist types.

A FB friend of mine was crowing about how she has sent off to get her dog DNA tested to find out what breeds the dog has in her. Is this a complete rip off? I distinctly recall a vet telling me, when we first got our dog (14 years ago!) that there is no such thing as beagle DNA vs jack russell DNA - it's all "dog" DNA.

I can certainly picture a company taking your money and a photo of your dog and whatever samples they thought it would be funny to imagine dog owners trying to get, then making an educated guess based on the picture and cashing the check while laughing uproariously. But I could be wrong, it has happened before.

I doesn't ask morning organizing my PoE stages and deleting old characters. Didn't quite finish, but almost. My standard league stashes were in horrendous shape for someone with OCD.

I doesn't ask morning organising either ..... what ever that means

OK I have a science-y type question for you scientist types.

A FB friend of mine was crowing about how she has sent off to get her dog DNA tested to find out what breeds the dog has in her. Is this a complete rip off? I distinctly recall a vet telling me, when we first got our dog (14 years ago!) that there is no such thing as beagle DNA vs jack russell DNA - it's all "dog" DNA.

I can certainly picture a company taking your money and a photo of your dog and whatever samples they thought it would be funny to imagine dog owners trying to get, then making an educated guess based on the picture and cashing the check while laughing uproariously. But I could be wrong, it has happened before.

Dog breeds will have markers or regions in their DNA (it's how traits like Alsatian ears, Dalmatian spots and so forth are expressed in the dog's phenotype (what it looks like and how it acts)) and these can be examined by gel electrophoresis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gel_electrophoresis_of_nucleic_acids). This should allow you to say "your dog has Boxer, Alsatian and Chihuahua in it, and is 25%, 25%, and 50% respectively" by comparing the results from this against standard markers. However, genetics are rarely that simple.

The problem is that dogs are really, really unfussy breeders (as anyone who's been in a room with a male dog and has legs knows) and this will mean that getting a sample of 100% pure [insert Breed here] DNA is really hard. Also, when they come to actually analyse the dog's DNA, they will probably find at least 4-5 breeds in there, and if the dog is itself of mixed species heritage it will become really hard really fast.

Your vet was wrong, because if it was all "dog DNA" as opposed to "[dog breed] DNA" it would be impossible to breed varieties of dog: if you take 2 pure bred jack russells and cross them, you won't get a Great Dane.

Your vet was wrong, because if it was all "dog DNA" as opposed to "[dog breed] DNA" it would be impossible to breed varieties of dog: if you take 2 pure bred jack russells and cross them, you won't get a Great Dane.

Sounds like your vet didn't really pay attention during biology classes. Which would have me worried since they're kinda important to a vet. If he were an accountant or something i wouldn't really care. Maybe not too late for a career switch?

Just finished day 1 after my holiday. Kinda hectic. Sounds like everything stayed pretty much the same during my absence (my collegue encountered the same difficulties while working with other collegues as i did/do). Almost back up to speed. And it seems like we really need that.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. We don't use that vet any more anyway. Hmmm, you learn something new every day!

To be fair it was 14 years ago and I imagine the technology and/or understanding of DNA, and dogs in particular, has probably changed.

Also I am probably remembering it wrong. That's way more likely.

To add to that: The DNA of humans and chimps is over 98% the same (almost 99%). It's only that small difference that separates us from chimps.
Or to make a less obvious comparison: I think we're even more related to dolphins. Don't quote me on it, but i think the difference was like 0,2% (so 99,8% the same). Can't find an exact number right now, but it's definately very similar to ours.

To add to that: The DNA of humans and chimps is over 98% the same (almost 99%). It's only that small difference that separates us from chimps.
Or to make a less obvious comparison: I think we're even more related to dolphins. Don't quote me on it, but i think the difference was like 0,2% (so 99,8% the same). Can't find an exact number right now, but it's definately very similar to ours.

That explains why I chatter and babble so much, and why I have an overwhelming fear of sharks.

r
lol - funnily enough I didn't realise that Moar was an old time poster :p

Think I take that as a compliment....

*wine please*

Had a couple of beers after work with a friend since it was such a beautiful day. Gotta enjoy those days.

Also gotta enjoy the few times a confused tech support crew makes you miss most of a very boring meeting. I just wanted them to install a new printer. Tech support guy needed time for testing after 45 mins. Printer is working but he couldn't give access to it to me through Citrix. He didn't have the correct drivers either. Hope he'll figure it out fast. No boring meeting to avoid tomorrow.

*cuddles bar*

I'm back!

The screen on my phone apparently got cracked at some point today and it stopped working :(

The annoying thing is that I am only 5 days away from getting a new phone, but it's also annoying because I'll have to use my previous phone until then.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High