Enigma, infinity, and now what?

I still kinda regret making Pride out of the only Cham I've ever found. I barely play my strafezon...

It sounds like you have covered most of the universal rune words. But IF you have runes to spare i would consider a DREAM helm for a merc on a hard core player. Iv never had runes to spare on SP but I cant tell you how many times the cast of confusion saved my life on bnet while MFing intense areas like worldstone and frozen river and such. On a holy freeze merc, pair it with a eth fort and a eth reapers toll which casts decrep and witness the brutality. Thats my fav merc set up for a hammerdin. Another one i have seen but never tried was ICE bow on a act 1 merc with a hammerdin. Saw it on bnet on a chaos runner, looked pretty fucking slick i must say. She was freezing everything for him constantly while he teled into groups.

I made a table for rating a RW "value" probably 10+ years ago. Some of the numbers would have been changed based on my experience in the interim. And, of course everyone would have their own opinions about ratings/usefulness. But, here's a few:

Runeword - (rating=1.5xStrength + Effects - 2xPrice)
Code:
Strength - Weapon=dmg/CB/IAS etc, Armor=ED/resists/FHR etc
Effects - 0skills, Aura when equip, CtC effects + any other bonuses
Usefulness - % of characters that would use
Longevity - % of levels/time character would use (i.e. req lvl)
Price - [RW price in # El] ÷ [Usefulness x Longevity]

Price Reference:
Code:
0 < 50,000
1 < 1,000,000
2 < 50,000,000
3 < 1,000,000,000
4 < 50,000,000,000
5 < 1,000,000,000,000
6 < 10,000,000,000,000
7 < 100,000,000,000,000
8 < 250,000,000,000,000
9 < 500,000,000,000,000

Generally, as the price goes up, the rating goes down. But, the more widely used RW retain high scores.

Fortitude (armor) - 12.5
Strength - 11
Effects - 6
Usefulness - 0.8
Longevity - 0.6
Price - 5

Death - 8.5
Strength - 11
Effects - 4
Usefulness - 0.1
Longevity - 0.6
Price - 6

Chains of Honor - 7.0
Strength - 10
Effects - 6
Usefulness - 0.2
Longevity - 0.5
Price - 7

Infinity - 11.0
Strength - 8
Effects - 13
Usefulness - 0.5
Longevity - 0.5
Price - 7

Dream (helm/shield) - 1.5
Strength - 7
Effects - 7
Usefulness - 0.05
Longevity - 0.5
Price - 8

Last edited:
@Codoh - I'm sorry to say that Pride got pretty low score on my ratings.. :(

Pride - (-3.0)
Strength - 4
Effects - 9
Usefulness - 0.05
Longevity - 0.5
Price - 9

However, Principle takes top honors as the lowest scoring (non 1.07) RW!

Principle - (-6.5)
Strength - 3
Effects - 1
Usefulness - 0.05
Longevity - 0.6
Price - 6

I think you have some issues in usefulness area. Fortitude usefulness 0.8, Infinity 0.5 :D
Though it is true more characters would probably want Fortitude than Infinity, but that is something interesting I could look into tomorrow in more detail.
Interesting idea about formulas, I used similar method to determine value of each rare ring.

In general, I evaluate runewords in a similar way, though not in strictly mathematical way.

1. Usefulness (here strength and effects are included as well)
2. Price (how expensive runeword is)

Usefulness is quite complex to determine in such sense since there are many variables in there, depends on a build, depends on players goals etc.
Price is quite simple to me. I divide runewords in 3 tiers.

Inexpensive - all runewords made with runes up to Vex
Averagely expensive - all runewords that require runes from Vex up to Sur
Expensive - all runewords that require runes in Ber+ range

Last edited:
Yea, I just guessed what percentage of characters (including mercs) would use RW. Fortitude 80%, Infinity 50% - So, highest possible score is 1.0. But, that's with me having NO experience using a lot of these RW.. So, a lot of the numbers may be out of whack! :eek:

And, I do think my formula tends to fall apart on the expensive end. It helped me identify a lot of the "bargain" RW. (Leaf, Spirit, Insight, Harmony, Edge) Once you get into the "expensive" RW it mainly comes down to how much use you'll get out of them.

This formula will also hopefully inspire someone to make the 1.07 RW grail!! Worst possible use of Hrs! :p
Broken Promise (-8.0)
Daylight (-9.0)
Breath of the Dying (-8.5)
Blood (-9.0)
Armageddon (-8.0)
Authority (-8.5)

Last edited:
It does depend on a player and his playing style. I can immediately say I don't use Fortitude on any barb or any paladin, though I would use it for some sort of MF paladin which I never played for real. I estimate I use Fortitude on ~60-65% of characters, but that's just me.

However, Principle takes top honors as the lowest scoring (non 1.07) RW!
1.11 runewords were so disappointing
Treachery is just OP, I've used Peace a couple time for laughs when twinking and the rest are just crap. The idea of combining +skills to a specific class along with CTC of skills that class already has...just mind boggling that's what they came up with.

I was thinking of making a sept to highlight them, but there was just no inspiration there

I used the sorc one many ages ago (beginning of 1.13 and before I played HC) when I found a pul rune on my enchantress and had no better buff option lol

1.11 RW aren't that bad. Myth breast plate is nice for a support BO barb and...

... hmm, yeah, that's all I can think of. That is pretty bad.

After using treachery, I once thought how nice it would be if they gave ctc burst of speed to a runeword or gear. In retrospect, that might have made non-weapon IAS history.

On the subject at hand, I'd have gone with bramble since I love necro. Got to remember to make one in 1.10. But if you play melee pally/barbs I'd suggest Grief. Outrageously strong for everything.

Last edited:
I still kinda regret making Pride out of the only Cham I've ever found. I barely play my strafezon...
Seconded. Made a Pride in an eth Cryptic Axe. Dissatisfied. Can't/won't beat Reapers.

Another one i have seen but never tried was ICE bow on a act 1 merc with a hammerdin. Saw it on bnet on a chaos runner, looked pretty ****ing slick i must say. She was freezing everything for him constantly while he teled into groups.
This is a really, really interesting idea - Pair /w Treachery (to keep curses off of her) and fire absorb helm and you're good to go?

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High