East Side Untwinked "ESU" Round 2

Re: East Side Untwinked "ESU" Round 2

I'll be there too!
@Yogi I know how you feel.....

So, we just killed Duriel, I talked to Jehryn and was about to Sail East with Meshif when the game just lagged out. My merc and vine weren't moving, my ping wasn't changing, and it didn't even disconnect me so I manually quit. Tried to log in and got this gem: "Your connection has been temporarily restricted from this realm. Please try to log in at another time."

First time I've seen that. I googled it and read on these forums that the more you try to log in the longer it keeps you out so I'm just gonna call it a night. If someone could tell me which quests to catch up on and which level you all ended on, that would be great. I just hit 23.

-Hotpaws

We ended in early Act 3, you missed nothing important.

It was a fun night, and a fairly uneventful night. A few folks got their life a bit low vs the Lightning Beatles, but that's nothing new. Yogi I think is officially our closest NDE. It was laggy though. We tried making a second game but still suffered from quite a few randomly dropping folks, nothing too terrible though.

Someone found a Manald, and we also found a Snakecord. It took some coaxing, but someone did finally pick up the Snakecord, I'm not sure who.

I've got HoW up to level 6 (which is about ~55%), so that is my contribution to the team. I've also got 3 wolves now, so while I can't kill anything, at least I have some defense.

Here is the mule thus far. If anyone else is hanging onto any gems, lets try and consolidate them next week. We might be able to get a flawless or something useful soon.

I'm probably going to sell the spear soon as it's 100% crap, and is taking up a lot of space. Sorry the picture is so ignorant in size, I'm too lazy to ImageReady it down to a reasonable disk size.

-hps

Yogi I think is officially our closest NDE
QFT, My soloing mindset took over at the worst possible time. My typical bowazon MO is to engage,retreat and attack from a safe distance. "Ah-oh, I'm stuck in front with a bunch of beetles and zero lite rez!!" Burned every pot in my sash. :nervous:

Mercs, I didn't notice until nearly the end of act2 that my rogue wasn't around.:whistling: Gwinni is is just about useless, any ideas? I noticed Lucky grabbed an A3 cold merc and a BA merc was definitely helping my chance to hit.
What do we need?

QFT, My soloing mindset took over at the worst possible time. My typical bowazon MO is to engage,retreat and attack from a safe distance. "Ah-oh, I'm stuck in front with a bunch of beetles and zero lite rez!!" Burned every pot in my sash. :nervous:

Folks should be more observant of this in my opinion, it's so dangerous. I ran into it tonight also, I ended up, up front, and I rounded a corner to be greeted by a row of lightning beatles. I tried to retreat, but found a team mate backed by a team mate blocking me. I ran ahead and then back a few times, in hopes that they would get the hint, and then I ran ahead and back at them a few more times, but nobody figured it out, or if they did, nobody moved.

It's just good HC play if you ask me. A good player can keep himself alive most of the time. a great player can keep himself alive and not put his teammates / buddies in harms way in the process. I mean, you don't attack dolls when someone is standing near them, you don't attack FE monsters when someone is standing near them, and you don't plug your teammate up in a hallway giving him not place to run to. You give him space, and you run back when you think things have gone awry.

Mercs, I didn't notice until nearly the end of act2 that my rogue wasn't around.:whistling: Gwinni is is just about useless, any ideas? I noticed Lucky grabbed an A3 cold merc and a BA merc was definitely helping my chance to hit.
What do we need?

We need:
Prayer
Defiance
Blessed Aim

Might
Holy Freeze
Thorns - this is the other one, right?

The sorc should have Prayer, since she is most likely to end up with the first insight we make, which well synergize prayer... yes, I know Sara has all that Prayer stuff on lock down, but I don't see the harm in having more healing.

Aside from that, we just each have to pick one and keep it. That still leaves 2 more free. I think Act 1 mercs will be fairly useless untwinked, but whatever, we'll have plenty of tanks, so why not a fire Act 1, and an Ice Act 3?

Some might argue that we could pass on the Thorns Merc, but I ask, why, and for what? Thorns wouldn't hurt our progress at all would it?

that's my opinion on mercs.

-hps

You might get the Thorns aura from an Edge bow on a cold arrow rogue merc, which accounts for a real decent merc, imho.

Yeah, I use an Edge rogue with my summoner/jailer and just love her. The level15 thorns is quite powerful in late norm and NM. The damage to demons and undead is strong also. Still there are several reasons why this might not be such a good idea for our group.

First, you have to take damage to return it, no big deal if you have an army of disposable minions. We don't have that and most of us will be trying our best not to get hit, thus negating the thorns effect.. Second, thorn's effect in Hell is weakened, again no biggie if you have Amp, I'm not sure we will have Amp. Third, (this is purely anecdotal, I haven't actualy read anything about this,) thorns is a monster magnet, similar to holy fire. That isn't a problem for a necro, but I think it will be for us.

Last edited:

I don't see how thorns would attract monsters in the way holy fire does or bone wall does.

Lucky

Thorns would be a bad idea if a mutiny broke out and we started attacking each other.

As long as someone keeps a BA mercenary alive through Normal the rest can be prayer dudes. Defiance isn't really going to boost anyone's current defense too high to really matter. BA doesn't stack and the aura is pretty big, so only one is needed.

Once the group reaches Act 2 NM then would be the time to get all the mercenaries sorted out.

As far as extras go... as long as we've got one of each of the most important ones, the rest can be useful doubles (prayer, holy freeze), or whatever you want.

Like I said, this is something I just perceived. I was so impressed with that Edge rogue I equipped my wolf/summoner's rogue with one. Things went well in NM, but when things got tougher in Hell, I was getting swarmed way more often than than I cared to. I changed her bow and became less popular.:badteeth: It probably was luck. What I do know is thorns punks out in Hell unless one has a curse to support it.:nod:

Thorns would be a bad idea if a mutiny broke out and we started attacking each other.
Not that bad, there is a heavy pvp penalty.

Like I said, this is something I just perceived. I was so impressed with that Edge rogue I equipped my wolf/summoner's rogue with one. Things went well in NM, but when things got tougher in Hell, I was getting swarmed way more often than than I cared to. I changed her bow and became less popular.:badteeth: It probably was luck. What I do know is thorns punks out in Hell unless one has a curse to support it.:nod:

Not that bad, there is a heavy pvp penalty.

I think your on the right track. An edge cold arrow merc is nice. As a party I think we have enough meat shields to make it worthwhile. All those mercs+ valk and decoy, shadow's and a summoner druid in the group. So far it's also looked like our summoner druid is playing his build Hunter style with a bow, so there's a perfect spot for it (on a build that makes the most of it).

The only thing we need to be careful about is using thorns and then having a pally using the convert skill.

Even if we weren't using edge in action, it's still nice for gambling.

Quote:

One only needs to come up with a different method of attack other then physical brute force. Myk the barb...figures.

The other folks already discussed this weeks run, nothing to eventful dropped or happened. I will say that NDE the sin had owes her life to the cleric pally. Every other second I'm regenerating about 47 life. Most of us have 250-400 ish life, so this is a substantial amount of healing going on.

Last edited:

How's about you go with a Harmony Rogue Mercenary; everyone likes running fast and a Ko rune should drop... eventually.

Have you got a full team so far? I can easily jump in next Monday if there's space or a need. Let me know. I'd love to play alongside one of my own builds :coffee:.

Have you got a full team so far? I can easily jump in next Monday if there's space or a need. Let me know. I'd love to play alongside one of my own builds :coffee:.

Your build + Horadric staff = fun. I want to get my hands, err paws, on some permanent IAS weapons ASAP.

All hail the Cleric!!! Thanks for saving me

I'm at level 15 so far and I've had some okey drops:

Death's Gloves, Cleg's shield, and a Bloodfist.

No one has been able to tell me if there's room in this thing for a DV Necro and his numerous teeth.

I'm at level 15 so far and I've had some okey drops:

Death's Gloves, Cleg's shield, and a Bloodfist.

No one has been able to tell me if there's room in this thing for a DV Necro and his numerous teeth.

It's hit or miss. The first week we had open space, last week we were full. Technically we have a full group, but if you want to level, I'm sure nobody will have a problem with you joining us if there is an open spot.

-hps

Oh, Yogi, it wasn't me who grabbed the A3 cold merc, must have been someone else. My merc is using a savage lochaber axe of some-crappy-fire-damage-mod. Make sure you all are rolling poles for him if you don't have anything better.

Staff + Belt + Kris + Diamond (any) = Savage random polearm type with a chance at a suffix mod, as well.

Lucky

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High