D2r Patch 2.4

Bow zons and blade assasins might have gotten a bit much love, but they still won't be up there with hammerdins.

Yeah the Bladesin buffs are quite crazy, will be one of the first builds i'll try.

glad for the bowzon buffs. the fire skills needed the buffs and the mana reductions are very welcome.

I really hope they keep powerlevels within the bounds of current D2 and dont creep in more and more power with stronger RWs or tweaks to synergy.
These adjustments in 2.4 do make early and midgame much stronger for weaker skills and make them more viable. I really like this, especially for new players or Tournament play. It should allow for more builds that arent boring or tedious to play because you rolled "bad" skills.

Blizz has a bad track record in D3 with power creep and I hope D2R does not go this way if they decide to introduce a new difficulty. I am not categorically against infernomode, I just worry that people will demand buffs or they introduce stronger items and RWs. and we end up with the same situation of builds facerolling the new mode.

I would prefer new challenges within Hell than a new difficulty.

The problem is /p8 is actually meant to be played by 8 'live' players but everyone plays /p8 by themselves.

A lot of 'underpowered' builds can clear /p1 just fine, yet the standard by which builds are measured is hammerdin/lightning fury/lightning...

I'm excited to see how much more viable a bowazon is in classic with these changes. The strafe buff and general reduction of mana requirements look promising.

For fun, I've crunched the numbers for the Plague Javazon...

Taking 1.10's Tao as reference, assuming they didn't change how poison damage is calculated..

Most important table:
Screenshot 2022-01-24 112451.png

TLDR: Bit Rate provides the basis for poison damage, and calculated cumulatively with each respective skill level. It will then be factored by %damage (facets/gear), synergies and finally duration.

So, they announced:

Poison Javelin

• This skill’s damage scaling at high levels has been slightly adjusted - This is probably an increase in bit rate at higher skill levels.
  • Casting Delay will no longer share its cooldown with other skills that have Casting Delays
  • Tooltip updated to now display Casting Delay

Plague Javelin

• Poison duration is now fixed at 3 seconds
  • Poison Javelin synergy increased from +10% to +14%
  • Casting Delay reduced from 4 seconds to 1 second
  • Casting Delay will no longer share its cooldown with other skills that have Casting Delays
  • Tooltip updated to now display Casting Delay

An interesting observation is that the 3s cap is not random; They are basically doing away with the 10frame scaling with every additional level of Plague Jav. With the increased synergy bonus, here's how Plague Jav compare to Poison Nova outside of Bit Rate;

Plague Jav : 75 frame, 280% full synergy bonus
Poison Nova: 50 frame, 400% full synergy bonus

Given how Plague Jav bit rate scales much higher at higher levels, raw damage will almost be comparable if not surpassed.

Examples (*all approximations rounded down):

Blue: Synergy calculation
Green: +% Poison skill damage calculation
Red: Frame/duration calculation

20 sLvl Plague Jav, 20 sLvl Poison Jav
Min bit rate= [80+(48*7)+(96*8)+(160*4)]*[(100+280)/100]
= [80+336+768+640]*[(100+280)/100]
= 1824*3.8
= 6931
Max bit rate= [128+(48*7)+(96*8)+(160*4)]*[(100+280)/100]
= [128+336+768+640]*[(100+280)/100]
= 1872*3.8
= 7113
Min damage= 6931*[75/256]
= 2030
Max damage= 7113*[75/256]
= 2083
Total Damage: 2,030 - 2,083 over 3s.

30 sLvl Plague Jav, 20 sLvl Poison Jav
Min bit rate= [80+(48*7)+(96*8)+(160*6)+(320*6)+(480*2)]
*[(100+280)/100]
= [80+336+768+960+1920+960]
*[(100+280)/100]
= 5024*3.8
= 19091
Max bit rate= 128+(48*7)+(96*8)+(160*6)+(320*6)+(480*2)
*[(100+280)/100]
= [128+336+768+960+1920+960]
*[(100+280)/100]
= 5072*3.8
= 19273
Min damage= 19091*[75/256]
= 5593
Max damage= 19273*[75/256]
= 5646
Total Damage: 5,593 - 5,646 over 3s.

40 sLvl Plague Jav, 20 sLvl Poison Jav
Min bit rate= [80+(48*7)+(96*8)+(160*6)+(320*6)+(480*12)]
*[(100+280)/100]
= [80+336+768+960+1920+5760]
*[(100+280)/100]
= 9824*3.8
= 37331
Max bit rate= 128+(48*7)+(96*8)+(160*6)+(320*6)+(480*12)
*[(100+280)/100]
= [128+336+768+960+1920+5760]
*[(100+280)/100]
= 9872*3.8
= 37513
Min damage= 37331*[75/256]
= 10936
Max damage= 37513*[75/256]
= 10990
Total Damage: 10,936 - 10,990 over 3s.

40 sLvl Plague Jav, 20 sLvl Poison Jav, +25% Poison Skill Damage
Min bit rate= [80+(48*7)+(96*8)+(160*6)+(320*6)+(480*12)]
*[(100+25)/100]
*[(100+280)/100]
= [80+336+768+960+1920+5760]
*[(100+25)/100]
*[(100+280)/100]
= 9824*1.25*3.8
= 46664
Max bit rate= 128+(48*7)+(96*8)+(160*6)+(320*6)+(480*12)
*[(100+25)/100]
*[(100+280)/100]
= [128+336+768+960+1920+5760]
*[(100+25)/100]
*[(100+280)/100]
= 9872*1.25*3.8
= 46892
Min damage= 46664*[75/256]
= 13671
Max damage= 46892*[75/256]
= 13737
Total Damage: 13,671 - 13,737 over 3s.

Damage numbers are pretty much in line with Poison Nova. Coupled with reduced cooldown, Plague Javelin is much more forgiving than before.
Feel free to double check my work, TIA.

Last edited:
I'm excited about a lot of the changes here, although there are a few things I wish they had included. Although not mentioned, I hope they fix Deckard Cain not ID'ing items while placed in the Horadric cube. Blizz did patch the gold deposit issue, so that little QOL fix was nice. Also wish they'd fix the disappearing iron golem bug - I've lost at least 5 since they've claimed it to be fixed.

One thing I'm curious about - it seems they are buffing a lot of fire damage builds. This looks good on the surface, but with so many fire immunes I wonder if it will make that much of a difference. I do like that they removed many of the casting delays. One of my sorcs will be a fire-based build that will farm NM Andariel for SOJs. I haven't started her, mainly because I am hoping they change the way they spawn Uber Diablo / DClone or whatever we call him. (I still have yet to take on either DClone or the Pandemonium Event in D2R).

@Friiser

Just wondering... How do you D2R players get around the cube non-ID issue?

Tome in stash/inventory? 4x2 free inventory instead of maxed + cube?

I left it in the personal stash. I’m hoping it gets fixed soon. I’m one of those too cheap to use identify scrolls person so I always rescue Cain and go to town. Then I hoard 20 in a tome for use before rescuing him in the next difficulty.

Reactions: saracen85
I don't play D2R, so I won't be affected by the changes.

But based on the skill census work that I had so much fun writing about last year, I'm very happy with the announced changes. I'm tickled that they will implement my proposal for Increased Stamina as a duration synergy to Frenzy, even though it's not quite as lengthy as I suggested. I'm also happy about their attention to Impale, Bone Armor, Ravens, Grim Ward, and many more.

Many years ago, I worked pretty hard to make Patriarch with an Arctic Blast druid. I'm a tiny bit sad about that skill losing its Hurricane synergy, but I'm optimistic that players will now enjoy other variant build possibilities involving that skill.

I also have mixed feelings about the Death Sentry synergy changes, but I understand why they're focusing on making DS as a fire skill that sometimes shoots lightning, rather than a lightning skill that prefers to make 'splodies.

Although they worked on most of the underused skills, I'm still very disappointed that they continue to ignore the assassin's Psychic Hammer skill. Am I missing an incentive to pump that skill? Maybe there's a PvP strategy for maxed PH that I just don't observe as a player that prefers PvM/PvE? In my not-so-humble opinion, PH will continue to be a perpetual one-point-wonder, unless this or another patch finds a synergy, or some other appropriate improvement, for pumping it higher. (For example, I think each point in PH should add a magic damage synergy to Mind Blast.) That's not the only shadow discipline that should have been addressed. I think the crippling diminishing returns on Weapon Block remain a disincentive for maxing it. I also think Shadow Warrior and Shadow Master should synergize each other in some manner, maybe with respect to each respective minion's life, defense, resistances, or perhaps even the gear with which they spawn. This would provide additional build ideas for maxing both, instead of just one or the other. There are issues with Cloak of Shadows that could have been addressed as well, such as its variable casting delay that increases with skill level. (Did they fix the the foul crow nest CoS game-crashing bug yet?) Anyway, I respectfully dissent from the developers' comment, "We felt that Shadow Disciplines are generally widely used and effective."

I'm very pleased with all of the announced tooltip changes. Code that openly and accurately communicates with players about the game they're playing, while they're playing it, is exactly the polish we should expect from Blizzard Entertainment. They've had a hard season, what with toxic workplace behaviors and lawsuits and pending acquisition and so forth. These patch architects and developers deserve commendations for continuing to find ways like this to deliver good results to their demanding customers.

I also have mixed feelings about the Death Sentry synergy changes, but I understand why they're focusing on making DS as a fire skill that sometimes shoots lightning, rather than a lightning skill that prefers to make 'splodies.
Death sentry's damage will remain unchanged, it was removed as a synergy for other skills meaning you'll also be able to get the previous max damage out of those skills without speccing into death sentry if you wish. This is a buff to those skills, as you will be able to reach their maximum damage output at a lower level since they now require 1 less synergy to reach their max damage.

For example, in 2.4 if you wanted to make a Wake of Inferno build (uhhh we'll see), you'll now only need to max Fire Blast and Wake of Fire to reach its max damage, whereas before you'd also need to max out Death Sentry. Wake of Inferno's synergies from Fire Blast and Wake of Fire were increased to account for the loss of the synergy from Death Sentry, meaning its max damage will also remain unchanged.

Edit: Wait.. I think I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

@Friiser

Just wondering... How do you D2R players get around the cube non-ID issue?

Tome in stash/inventory? 4x2 free inventory instead of maxed + cube?
My setup for DRL - basically once my players get to hell and have saved Cain I usually have a full inventory of charms and the cube, TP scrolls go in slot 4 of the belt and I always use Cain to ID stuff.

However, since D2R came out and Cain no longer ID's in the cube, I've been keeping a 4x2 slot open and the cube and just manage between open space and stuff I stick in the cube. Doing the reset on the grail means I'm keeping most stuff than I normally would, lol.

Copied my Auradin over to test on the PTR version of the game. Seems like a power increase but not by as much as I thought it was going to be. This char is the 30 shock aura/30 holy fire aura with dual dreams, dragon, and hand of justice. Keeping all gear as is, it's a slight improvement. /p8 chaos sanctuary is doable without much pain, but it's kind of slow (usually is on a non-teleporter). The issue might be lots of of fire immunes there, I'll have to test out in more places. On /p1 it blasts but I spose that's to be expected, it was already blasting, it's just blasting slightly harder.

Physical bowazon feels mostly the same. The big thing I noticed is that Magic arrow DOUBLED the amount of physical damage converted to magic damage - so at level 32 it used to be converting 32% phys to magic damage, and on the PTR it converts 67% phys to magic damage, everything else the same. Pretty nice.

Ice maiden wielding Ice bow feels really great to play. level 39 ice arrow went from 28 mana cost pre-patch, to 18.5 mana cost post-patch. Very big. I use synergized exploding arrow on this build and the damage increase to level 39 exploding arrow went from 1727 max damage to 2344 max, not huge but noticeable and nice - I mean I'm not wearing any fire specific gear so..

I'll goof around with it more, that's all I can get to now without making new gear or completely swapping around builds on characters and stuff.

Edit: Did some more testing with Holy Fire and the new runeword "Flickering Flame" Here's my /players 1 cow run with full holy fire:

Here's a /players 8 run if you want it:

Edit 2: Hoo man I just tested out Magus in his original dual dream/dragon/hand of justice setup, and he WRECKS /p8 pits. Like walk through, slappin bosses like nothing, blowing up everything on screen on /p8!! it's so great! I don't have a video of this yet but I'm going to make one for sure. It's sick as hell.

Last edited:
Until you hear otherwise, please treat the PTR as exactly that - A Test Realm.

Don't mix it with the current patch. Keep it completely separated.

Until you hear otherwise, please treat the PTR as exactly that - A Test Realm.

Don't mix it with the current patch. Keep it completely separated.

You have to be very careful as well, as the PTR uses your original normal save folder - I simply copied my entire save folder before beginning. Also be careful about switching back and forth between the PTR version and the Live version (like if you want to compare skill values or something) as any new runewords will be entirely deleted base and all (doesn't really matter if you copied your save folder, but it's annoying at least).

Last edited:
Reactions: maxicek
It'll be months before any of the 2.4 content reaches single player I believe, as I think Blizz said that it would be pushed after the 1st D2R ladder season has finished. Is that how you all understand it?

Well we will get the skill changes, but I think new RWs only after each ladder finishes.

Reactions: snickersnack
Seems they messed up wereform IAS.

As every announcement come in from Blizzard the amount I am happy that I left all my stuff in 1.14d increases.
I'm certainly glad that my ribcracker druid is still safely in 1.14d. This is a BIG nerf to fury druids, right?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High