D2r Patch 2.4

Wow I can't wait to see what people have to say about this. Get hyped folks, It looks mostly good to me! First content patch in over a DECADE. If you're not excited then you aren't even ALIVE.

Can't wait to try out the changes. Builds I'm going to be building to check it out:
  1. Spearzon - big buffs?
  2. Elemental Bowzon - half mana cost for the big ones, fire skills got damage buffs
  3. Regular Bowzon - Strafe got 25% more damage, magic arrow got a somewhat vague buff (?) and its single target was already very strong, and was already a strong option for dealing with physical immunities.
  4. Any zon - avoid/dodge no longer really interrupt as you can cast and attack to interrupt those animations, huge buff
  5. Martial Arts Sin - 1 charge used per finishing move, damage buffs, telekick assassin unlocked XD
  6. Bladesin - very interested to see how these buffs will play out in game, will be making one
  7. Leap attack Barb - YES! Looks so beefy now, and moves faster. Sick.
  8. Warcry barb - 30% damage increase
  9. Shape shifter - interested to see how these attack speed changes are? Someone explain to me the impact here? I'm struggling to understand the impact. Off weapon IAS will apply now, but attacks while shifted were generally balanced with only weapon ias in mind.. soo will it be worse? I'm digging through ias tables trying to parse it out and coming up short. At any rate, definitely trying out fireclaw.
  10. Fire elemental druid - huge buffs.
  11. Summoning druid - This might be a first character for me. These changes look so cool. Just scrolling through the list of changes here makes my mind spin with item options and ideas. Ravenlore raven build?!
  12. Holy Fire Pally - Here we go boys my auradin just got sick as hell. "Damage level scaling increased by 90%" Synergies increased by 6% and 4% per level.. and 200% damage at close range. This is such a massive change.
Nothing really too exciting for necro? Like small buffs except skeleton mage which got big buffs.

Mercs - not really excited for anything with the mercs. Still going to be using act 2 mercs on pretty much everything unless there's something I missed. I'm glad my faith wielding a1 merc is getting a buff and can now use freezing arrow, that's pretty sick. I'll definitely be trying out act 3 mercs because they're so cool, I don't know if the buffs will justify the loss of character power by skipping auras from a2 mercs but it certainly looks like it will be fun to play with.

Runeword "Obsession" is the only one that wasn't announced before patch notes, it's a beefy staff. Haven't done any calculations but it's a big staff. Obviously staves can spawn with skills on them so this could be really fun to use if you get an insane staff base. Comparing to HotO/spirit setup, it has about same resists, 10 less cast speed (sad), 1 less skill, buuut you get increased max life and whatever skills you can get on a staff base, so it could be up to +7 of your main skill instead of +5. Also indestructible since it requires zod, so it can be a very classy eth staff as well, pretty stylish.

Upgrading sets - finally I can upgrade Death's sash and have more potions, rejoice. Other than that I can't think of any set that this really helps though in any practical sense. Like all of the normal/exceptional weapons have no or barely any %ed so they don't really benefit (hwanin's justice would benefit but upgraded has a 210 str requirement... no thanks) Aldurs will get slightly more damage but even this is pretty lackluster, unless you're going to like slap some ohms in there or something :ROFLMAO: Meaning that Death's Sash is the one true winner here!!

Set buffs - looks pretty meh, maybe there's something I'm missing there.

Area level changes - so sick. I wanna comb through the files and see what areas have what density of boss packs and start thinking about this more. Some places are cool that they're 85, but wouldn't be better farming locations due to low monster density like Abaddon and pit of Acheron, there's just no monsters in there. Same with drifter cavern and icy cellar right? They're so small. Stony tomb is nice because it can spawn right outside town, has decent density, and fire players can farm there without worrying about immunities. Swampy pit is a no from me dog, that place has nasty monsters. Sewers level 1 is pretty big and obviously very close. Might be a good spot.

Overall, I couldn't be more pleased (except no multishot buff :cry:). Power creep to the max though, lots of stuff getting stronger generally, and not everything that got buffs needed them. I'm thinking some things are going to end up being really OP and slip through the PTR cracks. Changes to Paladin damage auras are so much that I think they're going to get walked back a bit before it goes live. Other than that, I don't see any "Infinity" level changes where the meta is going to be shifted by 1 single thing entirely.

But yes! I am maybe more excited about this patch than I was about the release of D2R in the first place, as there's more stuff to do now!!

Edit: insight in bows is exciting, but only partially because you can put it on an act 1 merc. I'm really excited because low level bow options are lackluster. Insight is big damage, at level 27 you can wear it yourself and absolutely destroy everything and solve your mana problems, and it's cheap to boot. There's nothing even close at that level damage wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foghorn Leghorn
Big Merc changes.
Insight can be built in bows now and they use freezing arrow and exploding arrow, that should really help them out.
Overall their stats improved, which is good and Iron wolves have highest base res now.

Also A3 merc can cast enchant on you and summons, which is huge for melee and they cast static now. All depends on how often they cast it, but these are great changes.
At least in Normal i am taking an a1 or a3 merc, because the auras are kinda meh in norm.

New set bonuses look promising to me. should open up more option in mid game and twinking.

Did the ancients just become more scary? With possibly piercing throwing attacks and faster leap attack which are harder to dodge? 😅

Reactions: abridged
I'm not gonna lie... I'm excited. To be able to think of new builds and possibilities combined with these area lvl changes is what creates the excitement for me:

View attachment 75336
Am I correct in that it is just the icy cellar that has a SU of these levels? Will Snapchip get an upgrade now that it's level area is 85 vs 83?

edit: Forgot about Sarina

edit 2: Will any of this change exp worth and LVL 99 strategies?

Last edited:
Stony Tomp has Creeping Feature which is a SU.

Stony Tomb was always my goto leveling spot for windy druids after hitting Hell from 65ish to 80. Okay density, easy to reach and mobs are not very dangerous in there.
It is great now I can stay in ST even longer :D.

Am I correct in that it is just the icy cellar that has a SU of these levels? Will Snapchip get an upgrade now that it's level area is 85 vs 83?

edit: Forgot about Sarina

edit 2: Will any of this change exp worth and LVL 99 strategies?
I am pretty sure Drifter Cavern has a SU too in addition to Icy Cellar, Stony Tomb and Sarina.

edit: it does not

FTA: "Nightmare and Hell difficulty now have all 6 different aura types available from the Hire menu, instead of separating them out by 3 per difficulty. Normal is unchanged."

:love: My light sorc has a might merc, even though it's not super useful anymore, because I don't want to reroll her map, which has a great LK map. Soon, I'll be able to switch to Holy Freeze for even safer cow runs. :love:

I'm looking at the Obsession runeword, and I'm at a bit of a loss. Isn't that only about as good as dual spirit? What am I missing?

well, this helps a ton. Whenever they unlock the pattern for nonladder my assassin is getting a buff, whenever 2.4 comes in my new sorceress should murder everything (really enjoying using inferno). This looks like it will be a ton of fun and my rogue mercs will get insight! Now just waiting on it to go live for console……

I'm looking at the Obsession runeword, and I'm at a bit of a loss. Isn't that only about as good as dual spirit? What am I missing?
Since you make Obsession in a staff, you can potentially get +3 to your primary attack skill and +3 to a mastery on top of the +4 skills it gives you.

You could still top +7 to a skill when combining both hands, if you went with a magic orb with +3 to a tree and +3 to a skill combined with Spirit monarch, but then you'd lose you out on all of the other stats you get from Obsession.

Last edited:
Reactions: snickersnack
perfect hoto spirit is 75 fcr. perfect dual spirit is 70 fcr.

obsession is a bit overpriced, but i would build it for the stylepoints alone instead of running flail/monarch on a soec, which looks kinda non sorcy.

as @TopHatCat64 says the staffmods are were it gets quite juicy. +3 nova, +3 LM or others.

Reactions: snickersnack
Since you make Obsession in a staff, you can potentially get +3 to your primary attack skill and +3 to a mastery on top of the +4 skills it gives you.

You could still top +7 to a skill when combining both hands, if you went with a magic orb with +3 to a tree and +3 to a skill combined with Spirit monarch, but then you'd lose you out on all of the other stats you get from Obsession.
Yeah, I forgot about staff mods. Thanks!

For most characters, though, not any better than other options?

Yeah, I forgot about staff mods. Thanks!

For most characters, though, not any better than other options?
Yea, without the benefit of the additional staff mods, Obsession definitely drops a couple notches in power for non-sorcs vs. (much) cheaper combos like the aforementioned hoto/spirit or spirit/spirit.

Huge power creep across the board. I guess they're preparing to release a fourth difficulty or something. And so the cycle of degeneracy continues...

Doesn't look like I'll be switching off of 1.14d anytime soon.

Huge power creep across the board. I guess they're preparing to release a fourth difficulty or something. And so the cycle of degeneracy continues...

Doesn't look like I'll be switching off of 1.14d anytime soon.
I posted about a 4th difficulty before, and I still think it's a possibility.

Really, D2 could used an "inferno" difficulty without any new items or updates. With rebalanced skills and new items, a new difficulty is almost inevitable.

The obsession runeword does have that last 5% FHR needed for the breakpoint, and will require a LOT less str than a monarch... so if you roll +25% life on it, you now have to use much fewer points in strength, which would be spent in vitality instead. Combined with an extra 20 life suffix on a small charm, you're looking at a BIG hp boost. Also, less need to find fire resist from something, due to Spirit having an Amn instead of a Ral. CtC weaken might save you when blind teleporting. And looking like a proper wizard instead of some wannabe paladin with flail and shield....

Looks very promising for nova sorc, or if you can find +3 to dual elemental endgame skills, like blizz/hydra or something.

Merc changes look very promising. Nothing over the top, just now viable if you don't rely completely on Infinity RW. Also like the synergy changes pretty much throughout. Low to medium impact on endgame, but great for mid game.

Bow zons and blade assasins might have gotten a bit much love, but they still won't be up there with hammerdins.

Curious about Fire Golem now, and combining with act 3 fire merc - may make for a LOT of fire damage when everything is enchanted, especially as you could buff fire skills a lot: Head: New RW - Weapon: Hexfire - Armour: Enchant ormus +15% fire - Shield: Eth spirit.... +11 to enchant, and you may even add facets to head/body for +25% increase.... Then start using LR and CE.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High