Character Simulator: CharSi

Re: Character Simulator: CharSi

well the problem is, I have the Nokia PC Suite installed. That program treats .jar files as mobile applications. so when I double-click CharSi.jar, Nokia attempts to install it to a cellphone.
I've also tried "java CharSi.jar" on the command line.. but I get errors.
Code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: CharSi/jar
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: CharSi.jar
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: CharSi.jar.  Program will exit.

Woah, this is awesome Mursilis! Good job, so far I haven't encountered any problems but I haven't played with it too much as of yet!

sounds cool but I have the following problems. I DL the zippd file, unzip it to my hard drive and a file with same name allready exists error pops up. I tried hitting retry same thing, I tried hitting skip nothing, so I hit cancel. Now the file shows to be unzipped where it should be(after hitting cancel) I open it and try the jar file, and all I get is about 50 small boxes that say cannot open armor cannot open rings bla bla bla a bunch of them anyway.

Looks good Mursilis. I will play around with it a little bit before i reinstall D2

well the problem is, I have the Nokia PC Suite installed. That program treats .jar files as mobile applications. so when I double-click CharSi.jar, Nokia attempts to install it to a cellphone.
I've also tried "java CharSi.jar" on the command line.. but I get errors.

While I'm not familiar with NOkia PC Suite, can you set a rule that it ignores certain files? If so try that with the CharSi.jar file. Your other option is to turn the jar file into an executable (.exe) file. I've done this with Launch4J, so you could try that route as well.

sounds cool but I have the following problems. I DL the zippd file, unzip it to my hard drive and a file with same name allready exists error pops up. I tried hitting retry same thing, I tried hitting skip nothing, so I hit cancel. Now the file shows to be unzipped where it should be(after hitting cancel) I open it and try the jar file, and all I get is about 50 small boxes that say cannot open armor cannot open rings bla bla bla a bunch of them anyway.

Did you have the previous version installed as well? While they should overwrite each other without problems you could delete the old version and then install the new one in it's place. You're getting all those errors as the program isn't fully installed, so it can't find pieces needed to show item stats and so forth.

this was the first DL of it for me so i wonder if Im getting a bad DL?

EDIT: unless Im having a JAVA problem as of late i get a java update message when i turn the PC on but hwne I it ok to DL it, it goes away no DL

another go at it netted me nothing I get for every file type
There is allready a file with the same name as the folder you specified
specify another name

then unspecified error 0x80004005

Last edited:
It wouldn't be a problem with Java causing this as we're just unzipping a file right now. When the message appears stating there is already a file of that name one of the options should be to replace the existing one, try that option instead of skipping/canceling the unzip process.

That said you will want the most recent version of Java. It could be your internet security is blocking the download of Java, so try disabling that before downloading/installing Java. Then turn the security back on after you are finished.

I was playing around with this and ran into some problems making charms. I wanted to make a 6% MF charm and a 7% MF charm, however, when I made the 2nd one, it overwrote the first one. Any ideas?

Also, I was wondering if there were a way to display skill synergies on the skill tab without making it too cluttered.

Finally, it looks like Death's Fathom's +% to cold skill was not calculating where some items (like Ormus' Robes for example were calculating in the cold spell damage) As an aside to this, it would be cool to have a table to see how elemental damage varies against different monsters with varying resistance. How does the -5% from the rainbow facet affect my Fire damage, or Cold Mastery, etc. At the very least, at least have a summary (maybe in the Misc Mods section) that showed -% to enemy resistance and +% to elemental skill damage.

Otherwise, a very useful program. I'm sure I can find more bugs and suggestions going forward.

I was playing around with this and ran into some problems making charms. I wanted to make a 6% MF charm and a 7% MF charm, however, when I made the 2nd one, it overwrote the first one. Any ideas?

At the moment no. It's gets overridden as both charms have identical names. I'll have to revisit the saving process for the next update.

Also, I was wondering if there were a way to display skill synergies on the skill tab without making it too cluttered.

The way synergies display now in a tooltip is cluttered? Or do you mean display them in the actual page when the tab is accessed?

Finally, it looks like Death's Fathom's +% to cold skill was not calculating where some items (like Ormus' Robes for example were calculating in the cold spell damage).

Ah, I see that too. Already fixed for next release. Nice catch.

As an aside to this, it would be cool to have a table to see how elemental damage varies against different monsters with varying resistance. How does the -5% from the rainbow facet affect my Fire damage, or Cold Mastery, etc. At the very least, at least have a summary (maybe in the Misc Mods section) that showed -% to enemy resistance and +% to elemental skill damage.

You're thinking something along the lines of a page where you select a monster and then see how much damage is done to said monster? Taking into account the resistances of that monster. It's doable, but would fall to the end of my To-Do list. However adding + elemental skill damage and - enemy resistance mods to the display should be fairly simple and something that can be done sooner. Guess I missed those the first time through.

At the moment no. It's gets overridden as both charms have identical names. I'll have to revisit the saving process for the next update.

I figured out a workaround to this by editing the text files name and data manually to something like "7% Small Charm of Good Luck" and "6% Small Charm of Good Luck". Now they both show up and are available to be loaded onto the character.

The way synergies display now in a tooltip is cluttered? Or do you mean display them in the actual page when the tab is accessed?

This one can be attributed to my not being too observant in the first place and not discovering the tool tip until now. No issue!

You're thinking something along the lines of a page where you select a monster and then see how much damage is done to said monster? Taking into account the resistances of that monster. It's doable, but would fall to the end of my To-Do list. However adding + elemental skill damage and - enemy resistance mods to the display should be fairly simple and something that can be done sooner. Guess I missed those the first time through.

I don't know if you need an elaborate list of all monsters but that's kind of the idea I had. I was just thinking that maybe a table with one column showing the generic resistance value (say 10%, 20%, etc) and then the other columns would be the various elemental damages or the damage based on a selected skill. Maybe a tooltip over a certain percentage would show common targets like Hell Meph, or Lister and friends, etc. This is a nice to have but not necessary of course while the basic values in the main character screen would be more useful right now.

Once again, thanks for your generosity and for taking the time to provide the community with a useful tool.

I figured out a workaround to this by editing the text files name and data manually to something like "7% Small Charm of Good Luck" and "6% Small Charm of Good Luck". Now they both show up and are available to be loaded onto the character.

Now I just have to program the app to do that automatically.

This one can be attributed to my not being too observant in the first place and not discovering the tool tip until now. No issue!

:rolf:

I don't know if you need an elaborate list of all monsters but that's kind of the idea I had. I was just thinking that maybe a table with one column showing the generic resistance value (say 10%, 20%, etc) and then the other columns would be the various elemental damages or the damage based on a selected skill. Maybe a tooltip over a certain percentage would show common targets like Hell Meph, or Lister and friends, etc. This is a nice to have but not necessary of course while the basic values in the main character screen would be more useful right now.

OK, I get the general concept then. It's an idea I can add to the list when I complete everything else.

It doesn't seem to work for my Linux laptop. I have an idea what might be the problem, but I cannot either write code or know where to check. I believe the problem is with file path, Windows and Linux/Unix work slightly different. However I believe there is a universal way (very simple) to tell the program where to look for specified file.

It doesn't seem to work for my Linux laptop. I have an idea what might be the problem, but I cannot either write code or know where to check. I believe the problem is with file path, Windows and Linux/Unix work slightly different. However I believe there is a universal way (very simple) to tell the program where to look for specified file.

If the file was referred in the Java application relatively ( as in ../../../someFolder/someFile ) - that file would be found regardless of the operating system. If, however, the file was referred absolutely - there is no way ( I am aware of ) to find it on Windows and Unix/Linux from the same Java application without some prior coding.

I want to start by saying this thing has so much potential. It's already
amazing, and I'm surprised that anyone has created something so close to what
we'd need a final product to be. If this thing was finished, I'd pay to use
it; it could be that good!

I'm using version 1.1. I will continue to update this as I find more things.

Bugs:
  • Annihilus/Hellfire Torch bug (will at times say they are equipped)
  • My skills don't show up as selectable skills in the "Final Stats" tab, so I
  • can't see damage etc
  • My stat allocation seems to reset during things such as changing difficulties
  • It seems like the annihilus and torch attribute points are being added to strength and dexterity, but not vitality and energy on the "Final Stats" screen
Observations:
  • Takes a LONG time to load a character (I can certainly live with that)
  • Not sure if you need "Increased Block%" and "Blocking %" on the "Final Stats"
  • tab - I'd think "Blocking %" would account for "Increased Block%" and knowing
  • the Increased Block % alone, wouldn't prove very useful.
Still needed/Nice to Have:
  • Need the ability to socket items
  • Need the ability to upgrade items
  • Need the ability to have a weapon switch
  • Merc tab with inputs for type/equipment and outputs for his life, damage,
  • defense, resists, aura etc, and have his aura impact your stats
  • Auras/buffs granted from other party members
  • The ability to state that you are prebuffing with Treachery's fade for instance
  • A quicker way to assign Stat points - clicking on Vitality 500 times is not
  • fun.
  • Breakpoint tables. It would be useful to know that with just 5% more FHR for
  • instance, you would hit the next breakpoint. Perhaps these could be linked to
  • the "Final Stats" screen, and be dynamic in that the currently obtained
  • breakpoint could be highlighted?
  • The "Quest Complete?" section needs some indication as to what has been
  • selected - perhaps change to checkboxes?
  • Monster section - pre-select a monster which will autopopulate life and resistances, then calculate damage against that monster (considering variables such as crushing blow, static first, players in game etc), and include damage per second and hits to kill calculations.

Last edited:

holy christ man, I bow down to you for making this.
I've just found out about this tool, and will have fun with it for some time.
if I notice anything I'll post, but other probably covered all that could pop up as an issue.

once more, this is awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:

I never thought I'd see the day that someone actually produced a working character simulator. Big :thumbsup:!
I'm a huge nitpick when it comes to software, but I love the way you went with this. Especially how everything is cleanly separated, yet still works together nicely.

I did, however, come across a couple of things that I think could make it even more awesome:

Bugs:
- "Save As..." doesn't cause CharSi to remember the new name, so a subsequent "Save" will overwrite the original character.
- Allocated stat points reset whenever the number of available stat points changes.
- Rare gloves I created ended up under the Weapon tab, where I couldn't equip them. Restarting CharSi fixed this.

Things I'd like to see:
- Sockets.
- Breakpoints.
- Auto-updating lists instead of "Display" buttons.
- The ability to save the stats you enter for Unique, Set, etc. items (or alternatively, importing items from GoMule).
- The ability to use CtC effects as "prebuffs" (e.g., Treachery's Fade).
- The source ;)

And lastly, I noticed that the readme mentioned a 1024x768 requirement. That's fine by me, but if you care about accommodating everyone you could just stuff the entire UI into a scrollpane.

One thing I would love is to be able to set items to be "min" "average" or "max" stats.

When you choose an item and it then wants you to input the stats, frankly a lot of the time I don't care what the ED, or +x after each kill is. I really don't. So an option to set a default value would be nice. If that could be done but I could still change the stats I do care about, it would be perfect.

Also when you do want to input the stats, some indication of what the stat is would be nice rather than check the range v the Arreat variables.

Now excuse me while I find and necro the GoMule suggestions thread. :D :evil:

I noticed something weird when playing around with a tesladin yesterday. When I selected Holy Shock as the aura (on the first tab), the damage readout changed up as I expected. But then it refused to go down again. Selecting another aura didn't help*, nor did removing the points from Holy Shock in the skill tab. In the end I had to restart CharSi to get rid of it again.

Also when you do want to input the stats, some indication of what the stat is would be nice rather than check the range v the Arreat variables.
The stat you're entering is actually listed in the title of the popup.

*) I'm not sure if this is relevant, but selecting 1-point Holy Frost or Might actually seemed to add a little damage on top of the Holy Shock damage. But for some reason, the damage stayed the same when I selected my 1-point Holy Fire.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High