Character Simulator: CharSi

A few comments I'd like to respond to. I am keeping note of what everyone says though for later updates.

@Oscuro: I'll look into changing slashes. Don't have access to another OS so had no idea this would cause issues there. As for the Possible Mods section, it comes out completely fine for me in Windows, so I'm guessing it's a spacing difference, which shouldn't be too bad to correct in the code.

@Elmer: I noticed the invisible file(s) too, so it's on my to-do list.

@Sorcererbob: Yes, as I mentioned not all checks are in place yet. So removing skill prereqs is possible, I'll be working on that. Please let me know which set bonuses aren't working for you, as they should all be showing up correctly. In the skill tab if you hover the mouse over the drop-down box with the skills invested a window should appear with the stats of the skill at that level. If that isn't working for you let me know which skills exactly and what OS you have. Created runeword items should show up in the Importable Items display of the appropriate Equipment tab. Same holds true for rare items.

Smips: That one I know about. Currently I'm relying on the user to only make runewords in legitimate base items. I plan on putting checks in place for this in the future. The Runeword Wizard is somewhat similar to the runeword generator, with a few differences. Specifically you can specify which runes are available and how many sockets/auras you want possible. This narrows down the result field quite a bit.

Re: Character Simulator: CharSi

Sorry if i missed anything, but as i was playing around, i some unique items may be missing. the ones ive noticed so far are verdungos hearty cord, nosferatus coil, and arachnids mesh. i have normal, exceptional and elite qualities as well as unique type selected. not to be nitpicky or anything, but so far quite excellent.

I might have been wrong. I equipped the full Trang set and checked my resistances to find that they were terrible (-50 average?) I assumed the set bonuses would get it higher than that.

Windows XP SP3. Java 6, Update 7.

I could be totally wrong on all of those things. its just things which I didn't immediately find (which could be a GUI design problem instead of a functionality problem).

But good luck. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Traffic seems to have slowed for the last couple of days, so I'm going to de-stick this. But I think it makes sense if folks use this thread to keep reporting ideas & issues (we won't move things into the mods & utilities thread quite yet), so that there's only one repository of info and knowledge.

After another iteration or two from Mursilis we'll look at integrating this info into the main thread (if necessary).

I've already corrected a few of the problems, and made a few of the suggested changes, such as the option to automatically choose a value for the variable mods rather than await user input. Still have a while to go before a new update is available as I have a goal in mind for that, specifically the charm section.

Mursilis said:
@Oscuro: I'll look into changing slashes. Don't have access to another OS so had no idea this would cause issues there.

I just happen to pass by and saw this. Yes, it doesn't work for our Linux users at the current status. I also have a simple fix for you to have access to fully featured Linux on your windows box:
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_felicia_whatsnew.php

Copy & paste the relative text:
mint4win - A Windows installer for Linux Mint

If you run Microsoft Windows, insert the liveCD and a program called mint4win will launch automatically. This program is an installer for Linux Mint which runs on Windows. It installs Linux Mint within a file on one your partitions and it doesn't touch your existing partitions. It also sets up a Windows multiboot for you.

Of course the performance won't be as good as if the system was installed in its own partition but if you just want to give Linux Mint a try this is a very good option.

You can remove mint4win from the Add/Remove applications tool within Windows and this will remove Linux Mint and restore your boot exactly as it was.

I've already corrected a few of the problems, and made a few of the suggested changes, such as the option to automatically choose a value for the variable mods rather than await user input. Still have a while to go before a new update is available as I have a goal in mind for that, specifically the charm section.

This will be awesome when the charms will be done and saving created character will be possible. Keep up the good work.
:thumbup:

Hi!
Does anyone else have troubles downloading the application!? I'm always getting stuck with half loaded page...

Anyway, good job!

IMO saving characters should be easy enough in Java. I've made more than one different type of file saving application in Java. Use the file IO class and an array with the appropriate amount of slots needed to store all the things. I realize it would take some time to get static numbers assigned to each possible item but it shouldn't be hard.

Also I agree about the charm thing. This would make for a great "What is the best character possible" type of thing.

Found a bug, Exceptional Polearms' stats don't show on the Item Generator.

Ah, I see the problem. Instead of pasting the file location in my code I pressed the "v" button without the "ctrl" button as well. :rolleyes: That's be fixed next update.

Speaking of which hopefully I'll have another one out soon. Trying to finish up one more piece but work/RL keeps getting in the way. :whistling:

This things cool but it can't generate rare items? Or am I doing something wrong?

You should be able to generate any piece of equipment you want. In the Item Generator tab there is a subtab for Rare/Magical items. From this panel you can choose any base item and add any mods to it. Once you save that item it will be available to place on your virtual character.

So taking into account all of the suggestions and bugs that everyone found I do have an update to the program (version 1.1). The updated program may be found here (also updated link in original post). So without further delay let's see what has changed.

Highlights
--Make switching difficulties separate from quests completed bonuses. Now each part of the GUI is independent so you can apply the appropriate number of quest bonuses regardless of the difficulty that is selected.
--Added ability to automatically fill in variable range value without the need for user input. Under Options-->Variable Mods choose one of four values to initialize this feature. Your selection will be remembered from one session of CharSi to another, same as the ethereal feature and whether or not to use the Skill Calculator as a standalone application.
--Allow change of character type from any page. Simply go to the File menu and select the character type under the New heading.
--Characters may now be saved and then opened in later CharSi sessions. While saving a character requires less than a second, opening a character can take up to 20 seconds. A completion message appears when the character is done loading, please be patient.
--Add blocking percentage display to the Mods of Note section, replacing Knockback (which was moved to the Misc Mods display instead).
--Created tab in Item Generator to allow the creation of any type of charm. Coupled with this is a tab under Equipment for a virtual Inventory where said charms may be added to the character and their bonuses applied accordingly.

What Else Is New
--Add chararacter level check tool tip. Hover the mouse over the Level label in the Final Stats panel and a tool tip will appear displaying the level required to wear all of the selected equipment.
--Display already equipped item in display area when item is selected.
--Ability to add more than one stat point at a time moved from the File menu to the Options menu.
--Provide ability to make items ethereal. This is done in two ways. First in the Options menu the Ethereal option must be selected, this allows you the option to decide which items can be ethereal and which can't (default is non-ethereal). Then when actually creating/equipping the item you will be prompted as to whether the item in question should be ethereal or not.
--Add automods (staff mods)
--Switch \ chars with / chars for linux support. Someones going to have to let me know if this works though.
--In Item Generator/rare field, add extra horizontal space for Possible Mods field to appear correctly. Again, always looked fine on my PCs so let me know if this actually worked.
--Remove blank options in import equipment displays
--Elite belt path name spelled correctly so items list when intended.
--Exceptional Polearm's stats now show in the Item Generator as the pathname was corrected.
--Add "on attack", "on monster kill", on demon kill" to ctc options in Item Generator panel
--Added option to automatically fill in prerequisites in the Skill Calculator if prerequisites aren't given a skill point.
--When unchecking a skill all skills for which the original is a prereq are also returned to zero in the Skill Calculator.

In The Works
Recognize 1.07 items (maybe)
Add mercenary section
Don't allow runewords in illegal base items
Breakpoint page to compare mods present with how many points needed for next breakpoints, say for example with FCR
Deal with Oskills
Add additional checks to keep user input valid

As before there is an updated Help Word file in the root level of the CharSi folder that covers the basics of how CharSi works. Any problems come up please let me know.

Congratulations on your work and fantastic program, Mursilis!

Now, my (small and insignificant) complaint: Not that I'm surprised or particularly disappointed, but there's no support for earlier versions of Java. (Please ignore this, as I'm fairly sure there's little or nothing you can do about it. I continue to blame Apple for choosing to disregard their customers when they ported Java for Mac. Shame on them. Absolutely no fault of yours.)

Just trying this now and looking at how my next char will turn out... anyways when picking the variables of war travelers the simulator thinks the damage added can vary between 15 and 25 when its actually a fixed +15-25 damage (aka +15 minimum and +25 maximum damage). Just thought id point it out :) Cool project though!

Edit: Also wondering how sockets work? Cant seem to find anything about it...

Last edited:
I'm not sure there is anything I can do about the local computer's Java install. And here I though Microsoft was a cheap company....

Thanks for the heads up on the War Travelers, will have to correct that next version. As for sockets, they aren't dealt with at all. There isn't any way to create a jewel to insert into a socket. So instead you'd have to use the Item Generator to recreate the S/U item and manually add the mods of the item you'd put in a socket. Something like this:

Herald of Zakarum
Gilded Shield
[Paladin only]
Required level: 42
Required strength: 89
Defense: 507
Paladin smite damage: 20-28
Durability: 50
+200% Enhanced defense
30% Increased chance of blocking
30% Faster block rate
+20% to Attack rating
+20 to strength
+20 to vitality
All resist +69%
+2 to Paladin skills
+2 to Combat skills [Paladin only]

That would be a Hoz with a Pdiamond socketed into it.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High