Bliss Version Switcher

It seems I had a similar problem as Gino.
I have a disc which comes with a standard 1.12 install, which I have updated to 1.13c.
By copying the relevant dll and mpq files I can downgrade to 1.12 and this runs fine.
When I do the same with the 1.07 files I get a 'no disc detected' message from the computer.

I tried using the 1.12 exe file with the 1.07 dll and mpq files which makes it possible to launch the game menu but rather predictably it crashes when starting an actual game.

Since then I haven't tried installing any versions other that 1.13c.

That's the problem. You are using an incompatible disk. If the CD is labeled 1.12, it doesn't have the necessary stuff to play the old versions (For 1.12, Blizzard not only removed the requirement to use the disk, but they also changed the disk's structure). You need a disk labeled 1.07, 1.03, or 1.00. Those have the correct structure.

If you open the disk in the explorer, you will see that it has an Installer MPQ if I remember correctly. Older disks don't have this.

Thanks for the swift reply. The disc indeed has a file called InstallerTome.mpq.
So basically I can't play the older versions without acquiring an older disc, right?

That is correct.

You can see a picture with all the stuff below (Location of the switcher, version files, structure of the play disc and lod disc).

VEVaZjP.png

That is correct.

You can see a picture with all the stuff below (Location of the switcher, version files, structure of the play disc and lod disc).

I can't figure it out man, sorry. Moddings never been my strong suit. I need help.

Edit: After looking over your picture. i figured out how to get the game run, but not the 1.07 game.
When i click launch 1.07, it opens 1.13d

Last edited:
If you can make a character and start up a game you probably did things correctly. Most common errors (improper additions/subtractions of files) will result in a crash.

Alright well after playing around a bit with porting the app to WPF, I decided that it would require some time investment that given what I would gain from it, isn't worth it. So it will be staying in Java. However, I fixed some minor stuff that were bothering me with the app and added new instructions. Still detailed, but more specific and less to read than before. I won't be releasing any newer versions if it isn't an emergency.

--------------
- Added new installation instructions to help users have a successful initial setup.
- Fixed bug where pressing the X button on one of the windows would not re-enable its button.
- Window is no longer resizable
- The header inside the list box can no longer be re-ordered or resized.
- Added a small gap between buttons
- Moved more complicated (in detail) instructions to "README_DETAILED.txt"
- Minor main window UI improvements
- Made the commons io jar be a relative import rather than explicit
- Relicensed back to the Mozilla Public License 2.0

Hey Bliss,

I've been messing with this for most of the morning, and I think I'm pretty close, but having just a little trouble. I followed all of your directions, and read every post in this thread. The application successfully loads 1.13 with all of my characters. Then when I try to launch 1.07, the spinning wheel comes up, but Diablo 2 never actually launches. If I try to launch 1.13d subsequently, 1.13d works just fine.

My 1.07 expansion disc (which I've used successfully with TrenShado's switcher on another hard drive to play 1.07) is in the disc drive and reading correctly.

Any thoughts? Do I have to set the Path for 1.07 to the diabloII.exe in the 1.07 folder?

Quick edit: i don't have diablo II installed into program files. It's installed into C:/Games if that's relevant.

Last edited:
Did you check the processes? Is there a diablo2.exe/game.exe running? If there is it's probably a OS compatibility issue. Try running said *.exe file as Administrator and Compatibility set to Windows XP/98. Also try running it in a windowed mode if you haven't done that already.

(Can't remember if the bundles have the D2VidTest.exe if they do, run it; if not try the one from the main folder but I don't think it will make any difference for versions other than 1.13d)

Another ninja reply:

My brother is looking into this, and we found that when I click launch, Game.exe shows up in my processes for about a second, then disappears.

Did you try running the D2VidTest.exe located in installdir\Expansion\1.07\ ?
Try adding a '-w' flag and run it again.

@Dazliare ill screenshot my setups in a bit. I got a bunch of versions working, both classic and expansion. FYI I run 1.00 and 1.07 discs, I think you do too.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High