Bliss Version Switcher

I think the problem now is that it's not seeing the virtual disks.

I click Launch, and watch files move around. Nothing happens, so I click the Diablo II app icon. I get a windows compatibility error, choose to ignore, then it starts asking for the play disc, which is virtually spinning in DAEMON tools. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but not sure what.

I think I'll go clear some tombs instead of playing with this more. I'll try again later or another day.

The virtual disks must be created in a specific way. They need to have the "bad bits" in the beginning of the disk. If you used a program like ImgBurn, (or most other ISO makers), they will automatically "fix" these bad bits and create a non-working ISO. Once these bad bits are removed, Diablo II will think that this is a pirated disc and it will refuse to work. I made a post a few weeks ago specifically on how to do this which you can find here: http://www.purediablo.com/forums/sh...1-09-to-work&p=8577715&highlight=#post8577715

If you want to see if this is actually the cause, pop in the physical discs in your computer and see if it works. Also, if this is the problem, any version greater than or equal to 1.12 will work (Meaning your 1.12 and 1.13 should be working perfectly fine but older versions without the "no-cd" stuff will fail).

I read this thread a while ago, but never got around to install it so far. I've been playing 1.07 (I plan to play later patches in the future as well) and self-mped using multiple installations with virtual machines/sandboxie. Just installed BVS + singling and it works great. much easier than what I did previously. Good job! :)

edit: 1 question though - making screenshots doesn't seem to work? At least I can't find where it would put them. Not in D2's main directory or \Expansion\patchNO

Last edited:
Okey... I got a weird problem, I hope someone can help me!

Most of my characters items are wiped. At least the ones I play a lot on. Why?
Downloaded the blizz-switcher and the classic and exp bundle. Put them in the d2 folder and added the different versions.
Then I copied my chars from my old save file to the exp, 1.13d folder. And started that game. And the items are wiped.
Even if I go back to my old way, the items are still wiped.
What the heck.

Edit: If I use my backup files and open up the saves in GoMule, that items are there.

Also, I can't use my mouse button 4 in game any more.

Last edited:
I've got a strange issue. The launcher doesn't seem to want to launch the game if I set game.exe to compatibility mode. Even if I only set it for one version, it stops all other versions from launching as well. Manually starting game.exe in compatibility mode works fine. Strangely, winXP compatibility mode did enable mouse 3 and wheel like it's supposed to, but disabled mouse 4/5 (and the manufacturer's mouse option to have those buttons set to simulate a different key press (eg num 6)).

Changing the compatibility mode to windows 2000 fixed these issues for me. The launcher started working again, and all mouse options worked. No idea why, but thought I'd share, as it may help some.

I also noticed an unhandled exception c0000005 cropping up from time to time when save & exiting, but I don't know if that is related to the version switcher or windows 7. This was outside compatibility mode. None yet since I managed to find a compatibility mode that worked out.

Yann,

You need to put BVS inside the root Diablo II directory. Any screenshots you take (For w/e version) will be saved where the version switcher is. Thus if BVS is at the root of the D2 dir, then it will be in Diablo II. I believe if you have the switcher outside directory (Let's say you left the BVS.jar on your desktop), all the screenshots would be in the desktop. This is not a BVS issue but rather the way that Diablo II decides where to place files (Basically it save the files wherever the launcher program called from).

Antikrister,

Make sure that you've installed the program correctly (In the correct directory layout, etc). Your mouse emulation problem is because you need to set the Game.exe or Diablo II.exe (Whatever .exe you wrote in BVS) as "Windows XP SP3 Compatibility)".

Espr,

Your problem seems to be related to the Windows Vista+ UAC issues. Read the 'README/USAGE' file where it shows a few ways around that problem (Again not a BVS issue, just Windows being overly paranoid and blocking Java and any other programs - executable calls).

Hey endless,

I've migrated my server from another host, to my home server. I've also updated the links so it's all working :).

- jon

Yeah, I used the .bat you provided to give the launcher permissions, and that works for no compatibility mode, and win2k compat mode, but not WinXP compat mode for whatever reason.

As to the unhandled exception, I've seen looked into it further, and am pretty sure it has nothing to do with your launcher, as it seems to be called by each 'new game' causing diablo2's ram usage to keep going up and up until it crashes and many save and exits.

Interesting. I haven't received either of those problems (Also I only use Windows XP compatibility and it always works..). Computers can be weird. I always disable UAC right after I reformat my comp haha :).

Yeah, I found the screenshots a couple of days after I posted, they were in the BVS directory like you said. I don't have BVS in d2's root directory though, but that never causes any issues for me.

Another thing:
I play 1.07 so I need a CD to play. I use images of my d2 discs, which I mount with daemon tools. One time the play disc wasn't mounted (for whatever reason) when I tried to launch 1.07 in BVS. D2 didn't start of course. I didn't get the "make sure the play disc is in your cd-rom drive" message though, so it took me a bit to figure out why the game wasn't starting. First I feared I had somehow corrupted my installation :p
I suppose the message not showing is somehow related to UAC?

Last edited:
Hey Yann,

I don't think it will give you any issues to continue using it outside of the D2 folder. IIRC, The reason I recommended for people to put it in the D2 folder is so that their screenshots could also be in there haha.

As for the CD messages, That might be the reason. That has happened to me during some tests and I think that's the reason, however I'm not sure since it's been a while since I've done that and I also don't use UAC (I disable it right after installation). All BVS does is organize the correct .dlls for the version you want, launch the executable, and change the registry pointer so that it points to the correct save folder for the version you want to play. Anything that can modify/block the execution of a program can and probably will cause issues *cough* UAC *cough* :).

Did I miss(understand) something? How does RWM work with this? i.e. how do I deal with having just v1.13d /w RWM installed and go to adding other versions (v1.07, e.g.)

Hello,

You have two options, you can use the '-direct -txt' (Check out that section in the instructions in the OP), or you can use my mod called "Singling" which is RWM + Multiple instances dll. Singling is an SPF approved mod and doesn't separate you from the FAM pool.

- jon

Hello,

You have two options, you can use the '-direct -txt' (Check out that section in the instructions in the OP), or you can use my mod called "Singling" which is RWM + Multiple instances dll. Singling is an SPF approved mod and doesn't separate you from the FAM pool.

- jon
I guess I still don't understand - RWM has the short cut that uses the -direct and -txt, but also has the game start in Runewords folder. How does the non-Singling option deal with that? Also, I suppose the default "save" or "runewords" folder is the "data" folder you're referring to?

The non-singling option is just the regular way you would execute any other 'data' folder.

D:\Games\Diablo II\ (root of diablo 2 folder)
D:\Games\Diablo II\data\ (contains all modifications you would like to use)

Then your Diablo II.exe shortcut has 'Diablo II.exe -direct -txt'. That will use the data folder that you have.

So for the version switcher, you basically do the same thing but you put '-direct -txt' as the flags in the BVS window. Everything else is handled automatically.

From the README:

Using '-direct -txt'
---------------

If you want to use a 'data' folder, You should launch the Diablo II version you want to use the 'data' folder with once.
Once you launch Diablo II you can exit it. (This updates all application pointers)

After that, add the 'data' folder you want to your Diablo II directory, and now play as normal.

Each time you exit Diablo II, it will automatically backup the 'data' folder to your target folder.

When you switch Diablo II versions, the application will delete the 'data' folder that's in your D2's root directory,
and it will copy the 'data' folder for the new version you want to play.

If you want to delete your data folder, close D2 if you are still playing it, delete the data folder from the D2 root directory,
and now run the same version again. The application will then detect that you are running the same version as before, but that there is
no 'data folder' in the root directory, meanwhile there is one in the backup. It will go to the backup and delete the 'data' folder there.

EDIT:

The normal save location for a 'save' folder (where your characters are) are <root to diablo 2 folder>/save. Although BVS manages 'save' folders for you automatically since _it is a version switcher after all_, so instead of having one 'save' folder called:

D:\Games\Diablo II\save

BVS automatically manages save folders for you:

D:\Games\Diablo II\Expansion\1.07\save
D:\Games\Diablo II\Expansion\1.09d\save
D:\Games\Diablo II\Expansion\1.13d\save

OK - I did a clean v1.07 install and this seems to work fine. As for singling, are the
Patch_D2.mpq and D2gfx.dll files extracted into the main D2 root or the root\expansion\1.13d folder?

Last edited:
Hey,

I'm happy it is working for you :).

Never put anything into the root since BVS deletes it when you switch versions. You should put it into your expansion/(version) folder. The next time you switch to that version, BVS will overwrite the root folder contents with what is in that folder.

Hello all,

I've created a new bundle called "Bliss Complete Collection", below is the information:

Bliss Complete Collection - This bundle includes everything needed to play any version of D2 including the following:

- Bliss Version Switcher
- Singling (RWM and Multiple Instances)
- All Classic Versions from 1.00 till 1.13d
- All Expansion Versions from 1.07 till 1.13d

I've released BVS 1.1.0 with the following improvements:

--------------
- Relicensed back to MPL 2.0
- The scroll bar for the program will only show once you add enough entries into the list.
This enables you to have more screen real estate when you are below this threshold.
- Some labels were improved in the UI in order to be more informative
- The UI itself has been compacted in order to save more space.

I've also generated a sha256 checksum for each of the bundles and signed the manifest so that you can check their authenticity. The signatures can be found here, and my GPG key can be retrieved from pgp.mit.edu.

I'm trying to switch to 1.08, it looks like I have it setup in bliss correctly, it goes to the right path.

However running either Diablo II.exe or Game.exe doesn't give an error, but instead it looks like it's going to start (The transparent 'Aero' thing from win7 becomes solid) but then it just doesn't. I have my actual LoD disc in the drive so I'm not sure what the problem is.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High