Bliss Version Switcher

There could be a few reasons that is happening:

1. Do you have UAC enabled? If so, are you running the switcher with the _UAC.bat file?
2. Did you run your D2VidTest?
3. When you first tried to run the switcher, did you first try to run the version of D2 that was originally in the folder?

Example:

If you just installed D2 from the 1.07 cd, and you opened the switcher, originally there wouldn't be anything in your switcher list. So you would first add and run 1.07 so that the switcher becomes "Synced" with the state of your Diablo II folder. After that you could add any other version to the list and make sure that the corresponding version files are in either the "Classic/<Version>" folder or "Expansion/<Version>" folder. You can get every version of D2 released from my Bliss Complete Collection.

4. [You have done this] Do you have the D2 1.07 Expansion cd in your disc drive (Or a legally created ISO mounted via Daemon Tools)? 1.08 is a version that does require your CD in order to play the game. Anything below 1.12 requires the disc.

Last edited:
1. it's not enabled, I'm running it with the .jar
2. Yeah, it recommends Direct3D, which it's set to.
3. 1.13d points to the original install directory of d2.

I can switch between 1.13d and 1.12 without problems.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is your CDs then. The CDs you have are probably the new 1.12+ CD, not the old 1.07 ones. If running the CD opens up the 1.12 installer, then that is the wrong disc.

For your 3rd comment: "3. 1.13d points to the original install directory of d2. ",

what I meant is that when you first installed D2 from scratch, that directory would be 1.07. So when you opened the version switcher, the first entry you need to add and run is 1.07 expansion.

Try the following:

Uninstall D2, Install D2 1.07, add 1.07 to the version switcher and click "Launch". The 1.07 should work. If you check your D2 directory, you will see a folder called "Expansion" and in there, there will be a folder called 1.07. After this happens, you can patch D2 to w/e version you want and add and launch those versions as well. For doing this faster, I recommend you to use my "Bliss Complete Collection". If you use my collection, you can do the following:

1. Install D2 1.07 (Full Installation)
2. Extract the "Expansion" folder and put it in the root of your D2 directory.
2. Extract the version switcher and put it in the root of your D2 directory.
4. Open the version switcher and add 1.07 and click Launch
5. Close D2
6. Add 1.08 into your version switcher and click launch (This should work)
7. Close D2
8. Add and play any other versions you want.

You can download the collection here

and you need 7 zip to extract it: 7-Zip

Example of d2 root directory:

So if we install d2 in D:/Games/Diablo II
your expansion folder would be D:/Games/Diablo II/Expansion
and your versions would be in there, like:
D:/Games/Diablo II/Expansion/1.07
D:/Games/Diablo II/Expansion/1.08
D:/Games/Diablo II/Expansion/1.13d

the switcher would be:

D:/Games/Diablo II/BlissVersionSwitcher.jar

Ok, weird error/issue/something.

Installed blissversionswitcher. Downloaded expansion folders. Started game using Bliss version switcher (through the UAC Bat File since I have UAC enabled) on my current version (1.13d). Brings up my saves and all that, no issues. Started a game with one char real quick then exited. Went back to bliss version switcher to start 1.07. Game starts, ok wonderful. Click single player button, and the following error comes up:

Assertion Failure
Location : C:\Projects\Diablo2\Source\D2Win\Src\D2Comp.cpp, line #3058
Expression : eType <= pItemTypesTbl->nSize

Trying to run 1.10s, 1.09, or 1.08 also have assertion errors but refer different locations/expressions. Running 1.11 or 1.12a causes no issues. Any ideas?

That seems to be that the order in which you initially switched the versions is broken. So the files are not in sync. Try the steps in the order mentioned in post 105 (the post before yours).

Hey guys,

So as a learning exercise, I've been playing around with porting over Bliss Version Switcher from Java to C# (WPF - C#/.NET/XAML) so that it would be more of a native windows application (and also there would be no need to have the UAC script wrapper since you could right click the application and run as administrator - also... the application would actually look like a Windows app).

I was wondering if there is anything that the switcher does or doesn't do that you would like to see? I'll take all feedback into consideration.

Also let me know if there are things that are in the switcher that are useless (Maybe some buttons that are not needed).

Overall, let me know if you guys would even want the switcher to be ported. IMO, the switcher has been feature complete so it does everything I wanted it to do originally and has been working great for my stuff.

- Jonathan

I don't remember if I actually tried using this, but I have this idea that this is really complicated to understand how to use (and this coming from someone who uses trenshadow's version switcher). So maybe making it really user friendly, like install it on your D2 folder, check which versions you want to install and then just clicking a button to launch one of them.

7 steps with special attention of changing the compatibility properties on all game.exes

You do need lots of disc space if you install several versions.

I don't remember if I actually tried using this, but I have this idea that this is really complicated to understand how to use (and this coming from someone who uses trenshadow's version switcher). So maybe making it really user friendly, like install it on your D2 folder, check which versions you want to install and then just clicking a button to launch one of them.

This would require an installer which I think is unnecessary. It is only one file (the bvs exe) and the user should know where they installed Diablo II.

There is currently a drop down box (which is editable) with all the supported versions. You just need to pick the one you want, also if a new version of Diablo II is released, you could add it yourself using the editable box. If I were to make it checkboxes, I don't see how that would improve the current situation.

After the user drops the bvs into their folder and selects the version they want, they just need to click Launch and as long as the user has their iso mounted or cd in, it will work. However, I would say that an area of improvement would be with the initial launch. BVS doesn't know the state of the user's diablo 2 directory when they first installed it. Maybe you were playing 1.06 classic or 1.08 expansion. You would need to tell bvs that this is the version that's currently in the folder. At the moment the way that is done is by adding that version into bvs and launching the game from there. Once that happens, everything is in sync, and you can launch any other version of d2 (including 1.00).

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, this requires fewer steps than trenshadow's, and also it was designed to maximize disk space. So you only have 1 Diablo II folder, and you can have every single version of Diablo II ever made (Which I made available with the Bundles). This means you can play every single version of Diablo II and those versions would only take about 300 MB~ (Excluding the common MPQs).

Last time I had to re-install D2 I tried this, I quit the idea because the step by step looks so complicated (you try to cover every little thing)(and I'm a techy guy - tho lazier and lazier these days).

Please don't take this as discouragement. But don't forget that for you it is always going to be the easiest and most simple thing to use because you created it, others will not see it the same way. Most of the time travelers I know, they still use trenshadow's. Ofc there are examples of people using your alternative also.

I do know the advantages, I still quit the idea because I couldn't for the love of me understand it well and easily how to use it. And it could be a nice challenge for you (since it seems you are a programmer), making it the best user experience possible (like OSX having apps that are more limited than some windows has - but making them really accessible and easy to use).

You say it requires fewer steps but it still requires five times more text to explain how to install than trenshadow's.

Nulio could you help me set up trenshadow? im not very good at modding and never have been. I got everything I need for 1.07 but can't seem to figure it out.

You are definitely right! I wrote a lot not because it is complicated, but because I'm the type of person that likes to document things so that in the event that I stop developing the application, somebody else (whether a programmer or user) could still understand everything in detail. If I were to remove a lot of the documentation, it would create a different atmosphere. There was a video I made a long time ago which explained how to set this up in like 2-3 minutes, but I don't have a youtube account anymore so the video was removed. I will need to write a "Quick" setup guide so that the more complicated documentation can be moved to another location. Users shouldn't need to look at that document if they just want to install the program.

-------------

Pretty much the installation boils down to:

1. Download the switcher and extract it into your Diablo II folder
2. Download the bundle (That includes all the versions) and extract it into your Diablo II folder
3. Open the switcher and add the version that's currently in your Diablo II folder (If you had 1.12, then add 1.12)
4. Click the Launch button to start that version

That's it.

If you want to add any other versions, just click the "Add button" and pick whatever version you want and then click launch.

You can try Bliss Version Switcher first, fearedbliss is even here and I'm sure he can help you if you have any problem.

He listed the advantages and I agree. :)

Bliss: screenshots are also nice if you feel they can help explain both step by step guides.

Trying it now feared, give me 5 minutes.

okay but what about path and flags? Also, i have 1.13d so I make that first then 1.07?

Hey Gino,

The path is the root of your diablo II directory. Example:

C:\Program Files\Diablo II

Flags are optional. Like if you want to play with window mode and no sound you would put:

-w -ns

in that box.

You can leave it empty though so that you could play full screen w/ sound.

EDIT:

Exactly. Since 1.13d was already in Diablo II, add 1.13d to the launcher and launch it. If you existing save files, you should move those characters to their new respective locations:

Example: your C:\Program Files\Diablo II\save\ would be in C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Expansion\1.13d\save

Since each version (and type: classic | expansion) is now in it's isolated environment. If you are using any dlls (for FAM) you would also want to put those in their respective folders.

Nulio,

Will do :). I'll probably make a guide with pictures rather than a video. It is faster and easier for me to update a guide with pictures than it is for me to record the video (with voice) and then re-export it and upload.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High