Bliss Version Switcher

Looks like you have the same things I have. I have no idea what the problem is :(

Did you do the UAC stuff?

User Account Control (for Windows Vista and Higher):
---------------
On Windows Vista, 7, 8 and higher, UAC is enabled by default and Diablo II.exe and Game.exe require administrative privileges.
Because of this, Bliss Version Switcher will not be able to launch Diablo II when you click launch (Clicking the button won't do
anything). If you are using one of these operating systems, you have two options:

1. Disable UAC.
To disable UAC, Press [Windows Key + R] and type "msconfig", then go to Tools -> Change UAC Settings, and switch the slider all the way down.
Then restart your computer. Now you can launch BlissVersionSwitcher.jar as usual and you are good to go.

2. Use the BlissVersionSwitcher_UAC.bat script to get the appropriate permissions
Launch the BlissVersionSwitcher_UAC.bat script which will ask you for administrative privileges, Windows will then give
Bliss Version Switcher correct permissions. After this, BIS (and in turn Diablo II.exe and Game.exe) will have the permissions
necessary to launch.

Did you do the UAC stuff?

User Account Control (for Windows Vista and Higher):
---------------
On Windows Vista, 7, 8 and higher, UAC is enabled by default and Diablo II.exe and Game.exe require administrative privileges.
Because of this, Bliss Version Switcher will not be able to launch Diablo II when you click launch (Clicking the button won't do
anything). If you are using one of these operating systems, you have two options:

1. Disable UAC.
To disable UAC, Press [Windows Key + R] and type "msconfig", then go to Tools -> Change UAC Settings, and switch the slider all the way down.
Then restart your computer. Now you can launch BlissVersionSwitcher.jar as usual and you are good to go.

2. Use the BlissVersionSwitcher_UAC.bat script to get the appropriate permissions
Launch the BlissVersionSwitcher_UAC.bat script which will ask you for administrative privileges, Windows will then give
Bliss Version Switcher correct permissions. After this, BIS (and in turn Diablo II.exe and Game.exe) will have the permissions
necessary to launch.

Yep, I did that a long time ago for something else. I just double checked, and UAC is disabled.

Yep, I did that a long time ago for something else. I just double checked, and UAC is disabled.
It sounds to me like there is a cd issue, given that 1.13d works. Is your cd in a different drive to where it was when you installed it?

It sounds to me like there is a cd issue, given that 1.13d works. Is your cd in a different drive to where it was when you installed it?

This instance of D2 on my PC was originally downloaded from battle.net. The disc is from back in the day when I played in 1.09. I installed the game from the website into C:/Games, but haven't installed anything off the disc. Do I need to do so?

This instance of D2 on my PC was originally downloaded from battle.net. The disc is from back in the day when I played in 1.09. I installed the game from the website into C:/Games, but haven't installed anything off the disc. Do I need to do so?
Yep that's the problem. Install from the cd and it should work.

I had this same issue and it fixed for me.

So you're saying I should reinstall the game from the files on my disc, and patch it to 1.13 from there?

So you're saying I should reinstall the game from the files on my disc, and patch it to 1.13 from there?
Yep, that should solve it. When you do it, try 1.07 before you patch to make sure it works.

Jcakes - another bit of info. 1.12a works fine, and if I use the launch button to set the "LastRanVersion" to 1.07, then try to open the diabloII.exe manually, I get an error that my disc isn't in the drive, even though it is. Any ideas?

Jcakes - another bit of info. 1.12a works fine, and if I use the launch button to set the "LastRanVersion" to 1.07, then try to open the diabloII.exe manually, I get an error that my disc isn't in the drive, even though it is. Any ideas?
Is this after installing from the cd?

No - oddly enough I can't figure out how to do that. Do I need to uninstall my digital download and then treat it like a fresh install off the disc?

This might work. I seem to remember 1.12 being the first version that could run without the disc.

Hmm it would be weird if installing from the battle.net installer and installing from the disk would ultimately cause it to work (or not), I think I've installed from the bnet installer before and it was fine, but I can't remember for sure so can't confirm. I actually made a backup of my CD install of 1.07 so if I ever need to "reinstall", I can just copy the 1.07 "vanilla" folder that I have in my backup drive to my machine.

However, what I would think is that installing from the CD could add some registry keys related to the CD. Which I believe I've seen before when I was digging in the registry. I will take a look at my registry and see if I find the key for this.

(EDIT: I might have thought that installing from the bnet installer would be fine but that's probably because I had installed from the CD before maybe? I usually don't anymore, but I haven't reformatted my desktop in a long time so the old registry key from when I installed Windows a while ago could still be there, which might have caused it to work.)

I may just do a clean reinstall with Singling and install off the disc, using a backup of my current save folder. I won't have time to try it until late tomorrow night though

Basically the registry key being created via the cd's installer is the only additional thing I can think of because file wise, all the files are in the bundles (Game.exe, Diablo II.exe, .dlls, Patch_D2.mpq, Patch update program, and d2vidtst - I think), the only files that are shared between all of the patches are the core .MPQs.

Normally, people shouldn't be changing files within the Expansion/Classic folders. These folders are just storage locations for files that will be copied over to the D2's root directory when you switch versions. They also store the save for the character files.

Thus, a reinstall for just the files shouldn't be necessary. Btw, if you do reinstall, you don't need to patch. Just install 1.07 from the cd, drop the Expansion/Classic bundle folders into your d2 folder, and you are pretty much ready to go (Make sure that the first version you run is the version in your d2 folder at the time you are running it.. aka 1.07 right after install.. this is so that it is in sync.. aka it creates the LastRanVersion.txt that has the 1.07;true entry stuff).

Basically the registry key being created via the cd's installer is the only additional thing I can think of because file wise, all the files are in the bundles (Game.exe, Diablo II.exe, .dlls, Patch_D2.mpq, Patch update program, and d2vidtst - I think), the only files that are shared between all of the patches are the core .MPQs.

Normally, people shouldn't be changing files within the Expansion/Classic folders. These folders are just storage locations for files that will be copied over to the D2's root directory when you switch versions. They also store the save for the character files.

Thus, a reinstall for just the files shouldn't be necessary. Btw, if you do reinstall, you don't need to patch. Just install 1.07 from the cd, drop the Expansion/Classic bundle folders into your d2 folder, and you are pretty much ready to go (Make sure that the first version you run is the version in your d2 folder at the time you are running it.. aka 1.07 right after install.. this is so that it is in sync.. aka it creates the LastRanVersion.txt that has the 1.07;true entry stuff).

Good to know, thanks. Any why I'm getting the "please insert the expansion disc" error when I try to boot 1.07?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High