Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

no, for a full 'Bone' items ethereal char.

I would even be happy about a magic one, as long as it gets 2 sockets from larzuk :D
Between LoD and D2R, I have 8 eth/rep shields, but none of the ones I have are bone shields. :(
As of last night I've got enough runes to cube a Lo for a Grief, but since Day 1 of D2R I've only seen one normal bezerker axe, and it had 6 sockets already. So I've been studying its chances of dropping from various monsters with the help of Silospen's calculator.

At first look, it appeared like the cow level would be a bad place to find one at 1:79,124 odds from a regular cow. But since there are on average ~400 or so regular cows there each run, if they are all killed then your odds increase to 79,124/400, or approximately 1:198 for each run if all regular cows are killed? Is my math correct? As you might have guessed math is not my strong suit. 😁

Edit: odds above are for /p1.

Edit #2: on my first run there tonight looking for a base berserker axe, I found a Jah at /p8. o_O
I'll second @d2lover: use a phaseblade. Is there a reason that you want a BA? The only reasons I can see are that the weapon reach is better (useful for PVP, so not so much in D2R) or that you want to dual wield with something else.

Edit: also, Flamberges can be good for Grief, but my memory on why is fuzzy. I think that it's for the better reach with decent durability.?.?.?
Edit: Apparently the speed is better, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Triple Helix
Thank you both @d2lover and @snickersnack. For some reason I had it in my head that a BA was the best Grief base, but that may just be old conventional wisdom or more likely fuzzy memory on my part! I plan to use it on my WW barb in conjunction with a yet-to-be-made Oath, and of course on some other characters as well.

Man, when I think of all the phase blades I've left lying on the ground since starting D2R... :ROFLMAO:

Thank you both @d2lover and @snickersnack. For some reason I had it in my head that a BA was the best Grief base, but that may just be old conventional wisdom or more likely fuzzy memory on my part! I plan to use it on my WW barb in conjunction with a yet-to-be-made Oath, and of course on some other characters as well.

Man, when I think of all the phase blades I've left lying on the ground since starting D2R... :ROFLMAO:
Oh, for WW, BA is very risky. You have a poor chance of getting the needed IAS. I think it's either 33% or 34% on weapon to reach the last BP in a BA.

Here's what I might use for the first D2R Oath I make:

Superior Conquest Sword
One Hand Damage: 62 - 89
Durability: 17 of 17
Required Level: 58
Required Strength: 132
Required Dexterity: 102
Fingerprint: 0xf7e06a29
Item Level: 85
Version: Resurrected
13% Enhanced Damage
Ethereal

I'm not 100% sure, as I might rack some 1.07 bases....

On my Trav Barb in 1.14d, I use these:

Grief
Superior Phase Blade
EthTirLoMalRal
One Hand Damage: 31 - 35
Indestructible
Required Level: 59
Required Strength: 25
Required Dexterity: 136
Fingerprint: 0x2b42a8d
Version: Expansion 1.10+
35% Chance to cast level 15 Venom on striking
+35% Increased Attack Speed <---- roll doesn't matter, base gets you last BP
Damage +376
Ignore Target's Defense
-25% Target Defense
+3 to Attack Rating
+170% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
-21% to Enemy Poison Resistance
20% Deadly Strike
Prevent Monster Heal
+2 to Mana after each Kill
+15 Life after each Kill
5 Sockets (5 used)
Socketed: Eth Rune
Socketed: Tir Rune
Socketed: Lo Rune
Socketed: Mal Rune
Socketed: Ral Rune

Oath
Cryptic Sword
ShaelPulMalLum
One Hand Damage: 33 - 550
Durability: 23 of 23
Required Level: 61
Required Strength: 89
Required Dexterity: 99
Fingerprint: 0x1709b73
Item Level: 87
Version: Expansion
30% Chance to cast level 20 Bone Spirit on striking
Indestructible
+50% Increased Attack Speed <----- guarantees last BP
379% Enhanced Damage
+75% Damage to Demons
+100 to Attack Rating against Demons
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 to Energy
+11 Magic Absorb
Level 16 Heart of Wolverine (20/20 Charges)
Level 17 Iron Golem (14/14 Charges)
Ethereal
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune
Socketed: Pul Rune
Socketed: Lum Rune

Oh, for WW, BA is very risky. You have a poor chance of getting the needed IAS. I think it's either 33% or 34% on weapon to reach the last BP in a BA.

Here's what I might use for the first D2R Oath I make:

Superior Conquest Sword
One Hand Damage: 62 - 89
Durability: 17 of 17
Required Level: 58
Required Strength: 132
Required Dexterity: 102
Fingerprint: 0xf7e06a29
Version: Resurrected
13% Enhanced Damage
Ethereal

I'm not 100% sure, as I might rack some 1.07 bases....

On my Trav Barb in 1.14d, I use these:

Grief
Superior Phase Blade
EthTirLoMalRal
One Hand Damage: 31 - 35
Indestructible
Required Level: 59
Required Strength: 25
Required Dexterity: 136
Fingerprint: 0x2b42a8d
Version: Expansion 1.10+
35% Chance to cast level 15 Venom on striking
+35% Increased Attack Speed <---- roll doesn't matter, base gets you last BP
Damage +376
Ignore Target's Defense
-25% Target Defense
+3 to Attack Rating
+170% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
-21% to Enemy Poison Resistance
20% Deadly Strike
Prevent Monster Heal
+2 to Mana after each Kill
+15 Life after each Kill
5 Sockets (5 used)
Socketed: Eth Rune
Socketed: Tir Rune
Socketed: Lo Rune
Socketed: Ral Rune

Oath
Cryptic Sword
ShaelPulMalLum
One Hand Damage: 33 - 550
Durability: 23 of 23
Required Level: 61
Required Strength: 89
Required Dexterity: 99
Fingerprint: 0x1709b73
Item Level: 87
Version: Expansion
30% Chance to cast level 20 Bone Spirit on striking
Indestructible
+50% Increased Attack Speed <----- guarantees last BP
379% Enhanced Damage
+75% Damage to Demons
+100 to Attack Rating against Demons
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 to Energy
+11 Magic Absorb
Level 16 Heart of Wolverine (20/20 Charges)
Level 17 Iron Golem (14/14 Charges)
Ethereal
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune
Socketed: Pul Rune
Socketed: Lum Rune
Oh man, that's good info!! I didn't do my homework on base weapons as well as i should have! Thanks much!!

Reactions: snickersnack
What second element do you use on a Summon druid? Rabies?

He will have 20 Bear, 20 HoW, maybe some points into the life giving wolf

Mercenary will be non eth Reapers (or eth, if I ever find it)

Armor will be Enigma, because I like to reposition my minions, and not much to be had from this slot anyways

So the switch will be Hoto+Spirit

Does Trang gloves, belt, helmet work for this?

Oh man, that's good info!! I didn't do my homework on base weapons as well as i should have! Thanks much!!
Double checking the runeword, it's not "very" risky, but you have a chance of not getting the needed ias. I had thought that the roll was 25% to 35%, but it's actually 30% to 40%, so it's only about a 30% chance of missing the BP.

Reactions: Triple Helix
Edit: also, Flamberges can be good for Grief, but my memory on why is fuzzy. I think that it's for the better reach with decent durability.?.?.?
Edit: Apparently the speed is better, too.
Zweihander. Range is the same as a BA but always hits the last WW BP. Durability is better too, as you say.

But really for PvM, PB all the way, especially in D2R where you may want to put it on an Uber Smiter.

it needs to be 34, so 5/11 chance to miss

and for what? to have a PvP weapon in Singleplayer forever
4/11?

30,31,32,33 are bad
34,35,36,37,38,39,40 are good

36.363636....% chance to miss.

But, this is purely academic as PB is the best base unless you already have another axe you like and you want to dual wield. And in that case, you just take the gamble regardless, so the % doesn't matter much.

Reactions: d2lover
Here's what is likely a dumb question, but I haven't done Meph runs in .... 12 years?

I'm doing hell meph with a pure fire sorc. Kill speed is pretty good with almost fully synergized meteor. I know that using /p3 over /p1 gives only a small drop rate improvement, but I'm also hitting the super chest on every run. So...

1. Would using a higher /px make much difference in rune drops from the super chest?
2. Should I just stop hitting that chest to have faster runs?

Right now, I need sets and uniques, so meph runs, but some mid runes would be nice. I need some Mal runes and Ists are always useful. If I found an Ist on a meph run, it'd go straight into the gull dagger I have on switch.

Has anyone tried out cloak of shadows combined with leap and leap attack?
A common criticism of leap attack is that monsters move before you land and evade the strike. If you cloak (with Nadir charges) and then leap with a high level leap everyone is knocked back and stay more or less on their spot while blinded. Then you can leap attack between them and benefit from the decreased defense from the cloaking as well. Meanwhile your mercenary would have a much easier time as well dealing with one or two at the time while you are leaping around. Nadir charges are expensive but with the barbarians item finding and resistances, that allow for more free space to pick up loot, it might be affordable to use the tactic against boss packs at least.

A common criticism of leap attack is that monsters move before you land and evade the strike. If you cloak (with Nadir charges) and then leap with a high level leap everyone is knocked back and stay more or less on their spot while blinded. Then you can leap attack between them and benefit from the decreased defense from the cloaking as well. Meanwhile your mercenary would have a much easier time as well dealing with one or two at the time while you are leaping around. Nadir charges are expensive but with the barbarians item finding and resistances, that allow for more free space to pick up loot, it might be affordable to use the tactic against boss packs at least.
I love this theory crafting. Let me know if you try it. :p

I usually avoid long leaps, but from what I noticed, there's some sort of auto-targeting of monsters when you land. Unless the monsters are extra fast, I seldom have issue of monsters moving outside my landing zone. That or I stupidly leap attacked on an empty area.

The strategy I normally use is the bunny hopping technique. Basically you aim under your feet so you can attack monsters at close range. The thresher's low weapon range probably helped too because if monsters are within your weapon range, you will attack normally instead.

Btw I did use gloom as my armor. So if I carelessly leap into the middle of the mob, I have a chance to get out of it. Or pick them off one by one while they're blinded.

Many moons ago, I was trying to figure out how to run Trav without good gear, and the Leap barb worked fairly well, but that was on a small group in an enclosed space. In general? Even with the benefit of CoS, I have some doubts that that would be very effective. If you keep pushing mobs away, how will the merc hit them? (My trav/leap barb relied on the merc for all kills.)

Is leap attack strong enough to kill mobs fast enough to not run into that limitation?

With only leap as crowd control you will need to push enemies into a wall and keep them there until the group is manageable enough for you to intervene. I have heard that mercs really, really like that sort of approach, so long as they have the MDR and lightning absorption to handle the triggered charged bolts...

However, the beauty of the idea is that you will only have to use leap once or twice and then the blinding will keep the monsters form approaching. For those unfamiliar with it; cloaked enemies continue walking towards their most recent target until they are knocked back or choose to do something elese than walking. That is why cloak of shadows needs to be combined with psychic hammer or some other form of knockback to be truly effective, and thus why leap is needed to complement it.

I am quite sure that leap attack will be up to the task and for my own untwinked part its benefits go beyond mere damage enhancement. Since it ignores attack speed and the approach should minimize contact with the enemy, leap attack opens up for using the heavist of two handed weapons that would be much less viable with other skills and attack patterns. The ultra-tanky guardian Izzor I linked to above had a powerful leap attack but used a legend sword in one hand, so along with the maxed blocking with his shield he proved to be more suited for staying on the spot and using concentrate much of the time. The mercenary needed support from leaps from the same spot so there was little room for leap attacking across the field. Based on that experience I think that with cloaking eliminating the need for continuous leaps and with a hefty two hander much more suited for leap attacking the skill would come into its own. Of course, the new leap attacker would have to repeat the feat of keeping his mercenary alive to even think of being comparable...no pressure or anything...😵‍💫

Reactions: snickersnack
I have started a poison necro, he is in act 5 normal and lvl 39. I have maxed skellies to help with the killing and so far I have 9 points in poison nova but it is super slow... Will this really be at all possible to run without the best gear? I am untwinked so I am not sure what I will find along the way. The guides I have seen all refer to lots of gear that I will most likely never find with this guy...

Any advice?

It's a good combination and likely to be effective even with easily acquired gear. The runeword White seems tailored for these kinds of hybrid builds, for example. But decide once and for all which aspect of the character you wish to develop first, or if you want them evenly balanced at all times. It's always slow when you're focusing on several skills at once. Keep going forward.
The guides I have seen all refer to lots of gear that I will most likely never find with this guy...
Most guides I have seen, for all characters, serve as discouragement rather than encouragement for this very reason. Guardian threads are the real gems.

What's the skill plan and how do you want to play? Are you going to be only a caster or are you prepared to go forth as daggermancer if the situation calls for it? What kind of mercenary and curse are you going to go with?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High