Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

Hi, if I want I can have my Zodded TR now, but I think I farm more cows to get a direct Zod (and all the other stuff that can drop)

I think the werewolf will be played in the Pits because it is the only area without PIs (not even stoneskin can be afaik)

So I think Enigma is the play here, because teleporting to the entrance is like half of Naijs stuff, so too costly to just wear forti.

How much fcr should I have on the CTA+Spirit swap?

Here is a strange question: does zeal have more range on attack one than on subsequent attacks?

I was playing my tesladin yesterday, and had a few (10+) cases where he would only do one attack, and only start zealing "properly" if I took a step closer.
This was not on fleeing opponents, but on static ones and one actively attacking me (but with higher range, I assume).
I was swinging the Skewer of Krintiz, if that matters.

Reactions: Swamigoon
I recognize something like the phenomenon you describe, zeal is indeed sensitive to weapon range troubles.

Do you hit with the lone attack in these cases? I interpret it as a failed zeal, due to too much distance/too short ranged weapon but in that case evey melee attack should fail, even normal attack. If the lone swing always seems to miss I think this weapon range bug is to blame but if it is a "real" attack I am as confused.

Reactions: Kartongen
I recognize something like the phenomenon you describe, zeal is indeed sensitive to weapon range troubles.

Do you hit with the lone attack in these cases? I interpret it as a failed zeal, due to too much distance/too short ranged weapon but in that case evey melee attack should fail, even normal attack. If the lone swing always seems to miss I think this weapon range bug is to blame but if it is a "real" attack I am as confused.
I had zeal on LMB. I had hardly any mana issues while playing (only manaburn and ghosts got me to use a potion), so I am 99% sure it was not that. It also made a... sound. I don't know the sounds of paladin skills by heart, so I can't say for sure it was a zeal going off, but it did not sound like a normal swing.

In summary, what I should say is, this is probably all in my head, seeing that it does not sound like a well known thing. Still... It irks me.

It's not just in your head, it is well known that zeal has trouble with short ranged weapons on occassion. But exactly what happens and why when zeal is glitching in this manner is less known.

I just made the reflection that with the zeal troubles and the risk of charge bugs, the paladin in Diablo 2 is just as plagued by critical misses as the paladin in Dungeons and Dragons adventures.:rolleyes:

@Kartongen
This is a known issue... you're trying to zeal while out of range... This can happen with range 1 weapons like a saber (Skewer of Krintiz)...as you said, the solution is to take a step closer... (or get a longer range weapon)

Zeal does have a different sound than a normal swing... Try this: hold down on shift (or whatever key you have bound to 'Stand Still' in your control setup), and try a normal attack, then switch to Zeal and do the same...you'll hear a different sound for Zeal. If that's what your hearing when this happens, then you're out of range...it tries to Zeal, finds no targets in range, and so makes a single swing then aborts the Zeal cycle....

Ultimately, the best solution is to get a longer range weapon....

WoRG

@Kartongen
This is a known issue... you're trying to zeal while out of range... This can happen with range 1 weapons like a saber (Skewer of Krintiz)...as you said, the solution is to take a step closer... (or get a longer range weapon)

Zeal does have a different sound than a normal swing... Try this: hold down on shift (or whatever key you have bound to 'Stand Still' in your control setup), and try a normal attack, then switch to Zeal and do the same...you'll hear a different sound for Zeal. If that's what your hearing when this happens, then you're out of range...it tries to Zeal, finds no targets in range, and so makes a single swing then aborts the Zeal cycle....

Ultimately, the best solution is to get a longer range weapon....

WoRG
range 2 is usually enough for zeal

for frenzy you should have the smaller weapon as mainweapon, to avoid dead swings

So Scourge as main and legendary mallet for example just won't work as nicely

It can still happen with a range 2 weapon (long sword, war scepter) from certain angles and mostly against small opponents... though it doesn't happen nearly as much as with a range 1 weapon....

Using a range 3 weapon like a war axe or flail pretty much prevents this except against fast, small critters running away, in my experience (and I do have a bit, having run a melee paladin to 99) ;)

WoRG

Don't cube any rune until you need to is my philosophy.
My 200+ Shaels say otherwise :D (and will be cubed up to Hel I think)

I can agree on any other mid-highrune, but Ohm has practically one use (for me, that is, because I want a 1.07 zodded Chaos, and till then I probably find many more Ohm)

The use is CTA, I mean even the lowest beta is better than the highest 1.14d, so apart from a stricter PvP ruleset I can't think of another use

Given that you can only cube runes up, never down, I'm with Max here...never cube runes until you're ready to use them...

So... no interest at all in Exile, Bramble, Faith, Famine, or Doom?

I'll also point out that if you have a nice elite rare or crafted weapon, Ohm is often the highest damage boost from a socket...

Or, maybe just save up Ohms to cube a Zod... it'll take 64(!), so there's a long term project... :p

WoRG

Last edited:
Given that you can only cube runes up, never down, I'm with Max here...never cube runes until you're ready to use them...

So... no interest at all in Exile, Bramble, Faith, Famine, or Doom?

I'll also point out that if you have a nice elite rare or crafted weapon, Ohm is often the highest damage boost from a socket...

Or, maybe just save up Ohms to cube a Zod... it'll take 64(!), so there's a long term project... :p

WoRG
I admit Faith would be nice, but for example Bramble has a beta too.

Exile I traded from @Excalibur and Doom/Famine would be for completeness only, Doom has vulcano procc :( (which hurts zeal p7-8 in AT)

Also I already have a good Faith GMB, I just now need a 15% +3 4s GMB, preferable selffound

Heh...you posted while I was editing my previous, so I'll move it here instead...

Well, you mentioned it...as long as you're going for beta CtA, maybe go for beta Bramble:eek:

Another use for your modern Ohms: In 1.07, find a rack for an elite fat damage 2hander (Decapitator, Glorious Axe, Thunder Maul, Colossus Voulge, Cryptic Axe, Ghost Spear, or War Pike), run it until you get a perfect Cruel (300%ED) ethereal one, show it to Larzuk and get 4sox, forward it and plunk in 4 Ohms (so 500%ED total)...win the maximum damage on a weapon ever in the SPF (or probably anywhere!) :cool:

WoRG

Edit: did some quick calcs and Glorious Axe wouldn't make the cut, I've seen more damage on a rare eth Thunder Maul... Decapitator would, I think, but only barely... Thunder Maul and War Pike would be the best bets due to highest max damage...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: d2lover
Heh...you posted while I was editing my previous, so I'll move it here instead...

Well, you mentioned it...as long as you're going for beta CtA, maybe go for beta Bramble:eek:

Another use for your modern Ohms: In 1.07, find a rack for an elite fat damage 2hander (Decapitator, Glorious Axe, Thunder Maul, Colossus Voulge, Cryptic Axe, Ghost Spear, or War Pike), run it until you get a perfect Cruel (300%ED) ethereal one, show it to Larzuk and get 4sox, forward it and plunk in 4 Ohms (so 500%ED total)...win the maximum damage on a weapon ever in the SPF (or probably anywhere!) :cool:

WoRG
with pre 1.10 Zod you could have it even unbreakable legit

Reactions: WoRG
LOL, you wouldn't even need the Zod if it also spawned 'of Ages' (Indestructible)...

I edited my previous post, turns out Glorious Axe doesn't make quite enough damage....

WoRG

You're probably right, I thought I had, but I can't find it now...:oops:

So, maybe a self-repair suffix, then...

WoRG

Reactions: d2lover
I can 100% vouch for beta bramble, very pleasing.

A lot more work to get though

Reading these 2.4 patch notes has me more excited for Diablo than I have been in longer than I can remember. It's like they're taking every single skill that no one has ever put more than 1 point into and giving an actual reason to max it. Still remains to be seen how it will turn out, but when I have the urge to put points into Grim Ward.... You know possibilities are opening up.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High